You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Tyne and Wear Metro

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro
Today at Monument I noticed there was a long wait for a Airport train. The boards said something like:

1 - South Shields 5m
2 - South Shields 18m
3 - South Gosforth 22m
4 - Airport 27m
Update:

There are no trains running between Park Lane and South Hylton in both directions until further notice. This is due to a technical fault. We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 901, calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and South Hylton. Trains between Pelaw and Park Lane operating at a reduced frequency. We will update you once we have more information.

Looks like its gonna be a long day for people getting home!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm)Michael wrote Update[Image: arrow-10x10.png]:

There are no trains running between Park Lane and South Hylton in both directions until further notice. This is due to a technical fault. We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 901, calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and South Hylton. Trains between Pelaw and Park Lane operating at a reduced frequency. We will update[Image: arrow-10x10.png] you once we have more information.

Looks like its gonna be a long day for people getting home!

There wasn't a train for at least 30 minutes from Monument towards Airport at about 13:30. 
Not really acceptable, and they were curtailing some trains at South Gosforth too. 
Site Administrator
(16 Feb 2015, 6:50 pm)JakeSavage wrote Metro still off between Park Lane and South Hylton.

Has anyone got a spare 20p for the meter?

Think they need a bit more than 20p! Been off for 9 hours now...
(16 Feb 2015, 8:57 pm)Michael wrote Will be intresting to see the reaction if its still off in the morning!

Well, GNE are providing Metro Replacements until end of service this evening.
Site Administrator
(16 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote #24hoursinGNE

Do you get it? Tongue

Pfft - ha'way Marcus, these puns have to make sense! GNE's only going to be doing them for 12 hours! Wink 
Site Administrator
(16 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)citaro5284 wrote Well, GNE are providing Metro Replacements until end of service this evening.

Have they changed their minds again?

Tyne and Wear Metro
Service has now resumed and trains are running between Park Lane and South Hylton in both directions but are subject to delays of up to 15 mins. This was due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey.
(16 Feb 2015, 9:23 pm)Dan wrote Have they changed their minds again?

Tyne and Wear Metro
Service has now resumed and trains are running between Park Lane and South Hylton in both directions but are subject to delays of up to 15 mins. This was due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Sure have, both buses now en route back to the depot
(16 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm)aureolin wrote Looks like an issue on Network Rail's infrastructure, judging by this post.

But, did you notice who responded with a comment?

As I type - it was 5hrs ago, his profile picture is 'sims free play' and the post makes no sense at all.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
I'm working out of our Jesmond office for 6 months from next month...I'm dreading it. Easiest route from Low Fell would clearly be 1/21/X2 to Gateshead then Metro to Jesmond but I'm debating whether to stay on until Newcastle and catch the 33!
Tyne and Wear Metro earlier: Due to a technical fault at Central Station we are unable to use Platform One, until further notice. During this time all trains will depart from Platform One only. (Makes no sense at all).

@gtom - Yeah the 33 would be your best option, but the times are a bit dodgy on a evening/morning. Departs Newcastle at 0827, then 0907, and on a evening, departs Jesmond at 1516, then not again until 1621.
(19 Feb 2015, 9:41 pm)Tom wrote @gtom - Yeah the 33 would be your best option, but the times are a bit dodgy on a evening/morning. Departs Newcastle at 0827, then 0907, and on a evening, departs Jesmond at 1516, then not again until 1621.

0827 would probably make sense. Always time to play on the web and emails before I start I suppose!

I tend to wrap up at either 4.30 or 5.30 which leaves it a bit rubbish. Tempted to look at getting a bus to the Akenside.
(19 Feb 2015, 9:56 pm)gtom wrote 0827 would probably make sense.  Always time to play on the web and emails before I start I suppose!

I tend to wrap up at either 4.30 or 5.30 which leaves it a bit rubbish. Tempted to look at getting a bus to the Akenside.

Metro might be fine coming back - a three minute frequency shouldn't be bad. 
If you'd prefer to avoid the metro, after alighting the 21, x21 in eldon square, just walk around to haymarket bus station for 306/308/309/310. There's always one of these in, and they stop just around the corner from jesmond depot.

Much more frequent option than holding out for the 33 !
Second delay of the day... There are delays of up to 30 mins to trains running between Airport and South Hylton due to a train being withdrawn from service.
Please leave extra time for your journey.
Tyne and Wear Metro
4 mins ·
There are delays systemwide due to two trains being withdrawn from service. Delays of up to 20 mins between Airport and South Gosforth. Delays of up to 20 mins between St James and South Gosforth Delays of up to 20 mins between Haymarket and South Shields.
(21 Feb 2015, 11:01 am)Tom wrote Another train has been withdrawn from service, this time at Regent Centre, leaving gaps of 20 minutes
Similar issues with the X1 and 21 yesterday too. Important to note that it's not just badly run Metro systems that suffer from gaps in service. Smile
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(21 Feb 2015, 11:39 am)aureolin wrote Similar issues with the X1 and 21 yesterday too. Important to note that it's not just badly run Metro systems that suffer from gaps in service. Smile
I wonder if the reasons for the gaps differ..? The buses on the X1 and 21 are modern - the trains on the Tyne and Wear Metro system aren't.