You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: School
(22 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm)MrFozz wrote If it is that bad, could you not have ever asked to transfer to a new scbool or would that have been more hassle than it's worth?

When I moved to Durham, when I went into Care long term, the deputy tried bloody hard to get my Social Worker to transfer me to Fram Comp, Durham Johnston or Fyndoune in Sacriston, but it was deemed not worth it for 1 year, I reckon I would have slightly improved my chances if I went to another place, as I had quite a few friends in those 3 schools and only had 4 friends at Easington(3 girls and 1 teacher)

I would never wish to move schools, sounds daft considering everything I complain about...

However, 3 generations of my family have attended my school, and I wouldn't want to break the chain. I guess I'll just have to get on with it...I couldn't leave some of the friends I've made at my school. 
(22 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote The notable girls in my school - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They're horrible, nasty, wear too much make-up (I know most girls do, but there's a line!) and just generally look like wrecks. Whereas the one I like, she's nice even without make-up. And I don't just like her because she looks nice, she's generally lovely. And I think I didn't do too bad on V-Day.

@Dan - thanks for the advice. But those girls couldn't care less what happen to them. In fact I'm positive that most have had their GCSEs picked for them by the school. I've always been seen as intelligent, but the way my school life has become corrupted has changed my personality drastically, sadly...
I'll echo what Dan said, I know so many people who were incredibly intelligent, but just didn't apply themselves properly in their GCSE years, meaning they ended up with D's and C's (not the end of the world I know) instead of the A's they should have got. 

I also know what you mean by getting targeted (think that was you) etc., I know it's said often but just ignore it, they will eventually get bored trust me. I used to hate going to school, but in Sixth Form everything changes, if you want to do it, most of the people who don't want to be there go, and more importantly your friends will become like a little family to you, I know mine have.

If you get through your GCSE's well, which I'm confident you will do as long as, like Dan said, you work for it, then socially it will get loads better Smile 

Another point, if all 20 of you in your class are sick of them, I'm sure that you could get them moved into a different class? Also, if I understand correctly, are you with them for all your lessons? If so, you'll be setted etc for pretty much everything next year, if your school is like mine, and it should be better Smile
(22 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm)citaro5284 wrote You want to try only having 5 weeks holiday a year... Big Grin

I even struggle with having 6 weeks. Sad

(22 Feb 2015, 5:52 pm)MurdnunoC wrote What you describe is exactly how school-life was back in my day (and possibly how it was for everybody else on the forum).

I went to a Catholic School (shouldn't be hard to guess which one) where, at the time, I was the only person without any sort of religion. I was once told by somebody my existence was essentially worthless because I wasn't either baptised or christened. 

Because I came from a 'poor' background, I was mocked because I didn't wear Naff-Naff or McKenzie (believe it or not - both were big brands in the early 90s) clothing or sported Adidas Torsion or the latest Reebok Pumps. As far as I can recall, I was always 'scruffy', but in my defence, I was a kid who used to get up mischief on their way to/from school. 

Schools have always been ruled by cliques. I was lucky enough to be on the fringes of one when I was at school but I've still witnessed my fair share of bullying and violence to students who are not as lucky. There will always be disruptive students and girls who choose to dress, in your words, like prostitutes.

Nothing's changed.

Very well put Adam. 

It didn't matter who you were at school, kids would always criticise others for one thing or another. Kids can be cruel, but you just don't realise to the extent, at the time.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Marxista Fozzski
(25 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Choices for GCSE:

Language - German
Humanity - History
Option #1 - Business & Economics
Option #2 - Geography

Best of luck with them Marcus, that is close to what I picked in Yr.9, although I chose French instead of German

Language - German
Humanity - History
Option #2 - Geography

Just out of curiosity, are you in Year 8 or Year 9 at school? If Year 8, what are your opinions of having to choose your options this year? (Open to everybody too)

Language - German
Humanity - History
Option #2 - Geography
Good luck with them all, hope you do well Smile 
I took history for GCSE (and now at AS), and I really did/do enjoy it, any idea what topic's you'll be covering yet? We did WW1, the Cold War, Britain (during WW1) and America in the 1920's (for our coursework piece), and the Britain exam was just WW1 all over again as it turned out! (Even though we learned every act introduced in the period... Angry )
Marxista Fozzski
(25 Feb 2015, 8:58 pm)Robert wrote Just out of curiosity, are you in Year 8 or Year 9 at school? If Year 8, what are your opinions of having to choose your options this year? (Open to everybody too)

It is Year 9 when you choose your GCSE options
(25 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)MrFozz wrote It is Year 9 when you choose your GCSE options

Not necessarily.  
A school near mine picks them at Year 8.      
Marxista Fozzski
(25 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm)Tom wrote Not necessary.  
A school near mine picks them at Year 8. 
Wben I was at Scbool it was always Year 9, I dont recall any others picking in Year 8, then again it is 19 years since I was in year 9 Big Grin
Site Administrator
(25 Feb 2015, 9:08 pm)MrFozz wrote Wben I was at Scbool it was always Year 9, I dont recall any others picking in Year 8, then again it is 19 years since I was in year 9 Big Grin

I did them last year and even I didn't know that you could choose your GCSEs before Year 9! Tongue 
(25 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote As far as I'm aware, it's usually Year 9 that most schools choose their options in.

A kid who moved up from Bradford about half-way through Y7 (went to a private school...you can guess what happened) said they would have chose theirs at the start of Y8 had he not moved up.

I guess it just depends on the school really?
(25 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote As far as I'm aware, it's usually Year 9 that most schools choose their options in.

A kid who moved up from Bradford about half-way through Y7 (went to a private school...you can guess what happened) said they would have chose theirs at the start of Y8 had he not moved up.
Aye, all the schools I know pick in Year 9. However, if I'm honest, I don't think that it matters a great deal which options you pick, in terms or what you may want to do at AS, and A-level. I know that, at my school, if I didn't do GCSE History (for example) I could still do AS, if I got a B in GCSE English. Obviously for certain subjects, like languages this will be different, but I know a lot of people who do Business and IT subjects this year,who didn't take them at GCSE. This isn't me saying that GCSE's aren't important, it's just if you change your mind on what you eventually want to do for a living it's good to know that these options won't hold you back all that much Smile
School
(25 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm)Tom wrote I guess it just depends on the school really?

I would think if a school followed the national curriculum, it would be all sorted out and finalised in Year 9.

I understand only private schools or schools that hold Academy status, etc, are allowed to have their own curriculum and pick their choices when they see is best. Mine is an Academy, but we follow what others do and get it all done in Year 9.

I personally think Year 8 is quite young to pick GCSEs. Not even 2 years in secondary education and they're picking the options that will have a huge impact on their lives.
(25 Feb 2015, 9:17 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I would think if a school followed the national curriculum, it would be all sorted out and finalised in Year 9.

I understand only private schools or schools that hold Academy status, etc, are allowed to have their own curriculum and pick their choices when they see is best. Mine is an Academy, but we follow what others do and get it all done in Year 9.

I personally think Year 8 is quite young to pick GCSEs. Not even 2 years in secondary education and they're picking the options that will have a huge impact on their lives.

http://www.churchillcommunitycollege.org/diary.html - If you go down to the 16th March you can see the Year 8 Options evening.

I think it is to young too. 
Site Administrator
(25 Feb 2015, 9:44 pm)Robert wrote Because of this new GCSE scheme, options will now be picked in Year 8 as opposed to Year 9. Thats whats happening at my school.

What's the new GCSE scheme? Linear exams instead of modular?
(25 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm)Dan wrote What's the new GCSE scheme? Linear exams instead of modular?
I think it's all going to be graded differently from now on, something like this:
1=G
2=F/E
3=E/D
4=C
5=B
6=B
7=A
8=A/A*
9=A*
(I think)

Edit: Just looked at the link Robert posted, and it looks like some grades may be slightly different to the ones I put in the list, not sure how it'll work if I'm honest
School
(25 Feb 2015, 8:54 pm)MrFozz wrote Best of luck with them Marcus, that is close to what I picked in Yr.9, although I chose French instead of German

(25 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)mb134 wrote Good luck with them all, hope you do well Smile 
I took history for GCSE (and now at AS), and I really did/do enjoy it, any idea what topic's you'll be covering yet? We did WW1, the Cold War, Britain (during WW1) and America in the 1920's (for our coursework piece), and the Britain exam was just WW1 all over again as it turned out! (Even though we learned every act introduced in the period... Angry )

Sorry, must have skimmed over these two posts and not realised. Thanks both of you. Smile

I think I made the right choice in regards to German, as I spoke to the Head of German briefly when I walked in this morning and when I told her, she said she was probably going to be teaching most of the GCSE classes next year (she has about 10 hours with Y7&8 down at the lower site, and only about 4 hours with GCSE students). And she's lovely, and really seems to care about the kids she teaches, so that will surely motivate me.

I've heard Business can be a dodgy subject. I've heard reports that the Head of Business is an absolute b**** and delights in being in control. I had her for a one-off Go-Ahead day in Y8, and she was an absolute b@st@rd. The only other business teacher is the Head of the Upper Site where I am, and he seems to always be angry and so annoyed with life...I just hope it proves to be a good move!

Finally, for History and Geography, I picked them because I feel like I really do well in History, and I imagine Geography will help me a lot with a career in the transport industry (you never know...maybe one day Dan, citaro5284 and myself could be work buddies! ).

Anyway, as ever, I will keep you all updated on how s***ty school is, if any of those girls are expelled in the future and if any of the teachers are being dicks to me. Big Grin
Marxista Fozzski
School
(25 Feb 2015, 10:44 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Sorry, must have skimmed over these two posts and not realised. Thanks both of you. Smile

I think I made the right choice in regards to German, as I spoke to the Head of German briefly when I walked in this morning and when I told her, she said she was probably going to be teaching most of the GCSE classes next year (she has about 10 hours with Y7&8 down at the lower site, and only about 4 hours with GCSE students). And she's lovely, and really seems to care about the kids she teaches, so that will surely motivate me.

I've heard Business can be a dodgy subject. I've heard reports that the Head of Business is an absolute b**** and delights in being in control. I had her for a one-off Go-Ahead day in Y8, and she was an absolute b@st@rd. The only other business teacher is the Head of the Upper Site where I am, and he seems to always be angry and so annoyed with life...I just hope it proves to be a good move!

Finally, for History and Geography, I picked them because I feel like I really do well in History, and I imagine Geography will help me a lot with a career in the transport industry (you never know...maybe one day Dan, citaro5284 and myself could be work buddies! ).

Anyway, as ever, I will keep you all updated on how s***ty school is, if any of those girls are expelled in the future and if any of the teachers are being dicks to me. Big Grin

Dan will unavoidable then

Back to school teachers, I hated my business, he did not like it when one day in front of the whole class I pretended to polish his head and said 'Don't worry Dave, we'll see my face in it in no time' well I guess he wasn't happy using his first name and taking the piss out of him being bald, my relationship deteriorated from that day forward Big Grin, I once worked out in Year 10 I missed close to 2/3 of Business Studies Lessons through being sent on call, running away or generally being a twat Big Grin, by the second term of Year 11 I was missing close to 3/4 of all my timetable being made to sit in the Pupil Improvement Room...

I learnt one valuable lesson in the P.I.R. how to play Championship Manager Big Grin
My meeting regarding GCSEs went very well yesterday, the deputy head (who I'd never really spoken to properly, having just moved up to the site I'm on now in September) was very nice, and had plenty of advice.

I've gone for:
Option 1: German (definite)
Option 2: Business (definite - but undecided as to whether I'm doing Studies or Economic)
Option 3: History (definite)
Option 4: Still open to debate, but either Geography or RE

There is a small chance that the timetables may come out not in everyone's favor this year; as there is only so many teachers, classrooms and classes - and say someone picks a dodgy subject like Music (where class sizes are generally no bigger than half a dozen [in the entire year group!] and so tends to be regarded as a bit insignificant in comparison, to say, Business [which was the most popular subject overall last year]) where the teaching times may not work with other classes. Also, there are only 2 Music teachers, one on the lower site mainly and the head of subject mainly on my site, which makes things further awkward to work out.

Anyway, I'm distracting from the subject matter; we were asked to pick a fifth option just in case this happened to any of us (which is unlikely for me, as I'm picking all fairly-mainstream subjects); so I chose either Geography or RE (one could replace the other, if you know what I mean).

So in summary: German, Business (either Studies or Economics), History, and Geography/RE

I think it'll prove to be a good investment in my education. The deputy head did mention these subjects are exactly what a lot of employers are looking for, which helped the decision by loads. Smile
Some nice choices there.

RE is good if you like debating, and I reckon it will look good on your record, but maybe Geography will be good?

Also, I think Business Studies will be better than Economics?
(03 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm)Tom wrote Some nice choices there.

RE is good if you like debating, and I reckon it will look good on your record, but maybe Geography will be good?

Also, I think Business Studies will be better than Economics?

Business & Economics is supposedly for students who like a challenge, according to the deputy head.
Whereas with Business Studies, I gather you get a mixture of brainiacs and Kirk from Coronation Street's in there...

The curriculum for Year 10 Business & Economics is exactly the same as what the students in the Business Studies class does, in fact I hear they even do projects together every now and again, but in Year 11 everything gets hardcore and generally extremely hard.
(03 Mar 2015, 2:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Business & Economics is supposedly for students who like a challenge, according to the deputy head.
Whereas with Business Studies, I gather you get a mixture of brainiacs and Kirk from Coronation Street's in there...

The curriculum for Year 10 Business & Economics is exactly the same as what the students in the Business Studies class does, in fact I hear they even do projects together every now and again, but in Year 11 everything gets hardcore and generally extremely hard.

Ah okay - we don't get that option so I don't know much about it.
That reference to Kirk makes me laugh Wink - I completely understand what your saying, but will they not be put into sets?
(03 Mar 2015, 2:59 pm)Tom wrote Ah okay - we don't get that option so I don't know much about it.
That reference to Kirk makes me laugh Wink - I completely understand what your saying, but will they not be put into sets?

Nope. All about 'equality' from what I was told, all the 'choice' subjects are just randomly drawn from a hat and put together.
(03 Mar 2015, 3:00 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Nope. All about 'equality' from what I was told, all the 'choice' subjects are just randomly drawn from a hat and put together.

Thats a absolute joke that. 
Why the hell should a less able person be put into a class with a more able person? Wouldn't that not disrupt the lesson for more able people as they have no clue what is going on?
(03 Mar 2015, 3:01 pm)Tom wrote Thats a absolute joke that. 
Why the hell should a less able person be put into a class with a more able person? Wouldn't that not disrupt the lesson for more able people as they have no clue what is going on?

Hence why I'm picking Business & Economics...the chances of seeing a less-able person in there (god forbid one of the thugs who take pride in the fact they can't count to 100) is like betting on a horse in the Grand National at 99-1.

But, like in the Grand National, it has happened before...