Menu

Pages (159)    167 68 69159   
citaro5284   28 Feb 2015, 10:17 am
(28 Feb 2015, 10:12 am)MarcTheA4 wrote 6065. Tongue

So you heading towards Durham....he was the 0914 from Newcastle, I was heading the other way...doh!!
Michael   28 Feb 2015, 10:17 am
(28 Feb 2015, 10:15 am)Tom wrote Aye, and the 555 isn't the most reliable of services in the summer. Big loadings, increased traffic etc.

Defo, iv'e used it a few times during the summer although its one of the best routes in the lakes Big Grin

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Tom   28 Feb 2015, 10:19 am
(28 Feb 2015, 10:17 am)Michael wrote Defo, iv'e used it a few times during the summer although its one of the best routes in the lakes Big Grin

Yeah it's a stunning route especially the Grasmere-Keswick section.

Last summer they were often operating 10-15 minutes late so if you had a connection at Keswick you could easily miss it. 
MrFozz   28 Feb 2015, 1:34 pm
I ended up doing a bit shopping for my mam...being the good son that I am...I will always be Mrs Forsters Baby Boy Big Grin
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   28 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm
I wonder how Marcus is getting on.....with the dizzy heights of been in Bishop Auckland
MrFozz   28 Feb 2015, 1:38 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 1:36 pm)citaro5284 wrote I wonder how Marcus is getting on.....with the dizzy heights of been in Bishop Auckland
Come on Marcus...We need a sitrep pal
R852 PRG   28 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm
The review will be up by 20:00 this evening, unfortunately I was in the process of writing it - 10 minutes in - 7 paragraphs - and I accidentally let my phone drop off the desk and it hit the switch - making the desktop die on me. #epicfail

However, I did take a few photos while I was out, and you can view this for the time being until my review is up! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/
Tom   28 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote The review will be up by 20:00 this evening, unfortunately I was in the process of writing it - 10 minutes in - 7 paragraphs - and I accidentally let my phone drop off the desk and it hit the switch - making the desktop die on me. #epicfail

However, I did take a few photos while I was out, and you can view this for the time being until my review is up! - https://www.flickr.com/photos/127739730@N02/

Good shots Marcus Smile
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   28 Feb 2015, 4:27 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm)Tom wrote Good shots Marcus Smile

Thanks.
Dan   28 Feb 2015, 4:59 pm
I haven't got a great deal to say about today's journeys, but find my log below nevertheless:

0906 Metro: Stadium of Light to Monument - Tyne & Wear Metro 4034
0945 #685: Newcastle to Carlisle - Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire 24123
1407 #685: Carlisle to Hexham - Arriva North East 4663
1547 #X85 Hexham to Newcastle - Go North East 5232
1638 Metro: Haymarket to Stadium of Light - Tyne & Wear Metro 4044

I have been meaning to go to Carlisle for quite a while now, as I've wanted a ride on Stagecoach's fairly new Enviro300s on the 685 to see how they compare to Arriva's OmniCitys and the previous coaches allocated. Unfortunately, a MANviro (usually allocate to service 79) turned up. I guess these are used above any other vehicle in Carlisle's fleet as they are equipped with high backed seating, but still lack the free Wi-Fi usually on offer. This proved quite irritating as for a substantial part of the 685 route, it's difficult to get signal. Those of you who have been out with me before know I find putting my phone down quite challenging, but on the plus side, at least today prepared me for future weekdays? I abandoned ship as soon as I could, arriving approximately 10 minutes late into Carlisle. Due to high traffic in the city centre, the bus actually arrived at the terminus a whopping 23 minutes late. I wasn't overly impressed with the MANviro, and will have to make a trip again in the future to sample one of the Enviro300s with coach-style seating.

I walked around the City Centre for a while and ended up at Stagecoach's depot in Carlisle. This allowed me to take a couple of photos of the remaining high-floor vehicles in the fleet and a few other photos of older vehicles kept indoors on Saturdays. Thankfully, I caught up with the Solo SR which is being trialled on Carlisle Town Services, which meant I was happy to head to the train station to add some variety to today's batch of photos. There was a heritage train of some sort pulled into the station and about 20 enthusiasts with cameras. I'm not entirely sure what was quite so special about the train but hopefully someone on here knows so I have something to say on Flickr about it later this evening when I upload the photos!

I headed back to the bus station after this and I was delighted to see an OmniCity which didn't carry Arriva's interurban livery, as this meant only one thing: 4663 was my chariot home! This example is not fitted with leather seating and seems to be a lot faster based on my previous journeys on it, so I was delighted to see it. The bus was reasonably full until Brampton but more or less empty after that. At last minute, I decided to hop off the 685 at Hexham and get the X85 back to Newcastle, as this would allow me to add Go North East to the list of vehicles travelled on today, and would mean I could use the Internet on the A69! The bus was warm and the driver seemed to be very skilled - he arrived into Eldon Square a few minutes early and this allowed me to head to Haymarket for my Metro home, making me more likely to get a seat (which I did!)

Hope you all enjoyed reading, and I apologise in advance for any typos as I wrote this on my phone during my Metro journey!
R852 PRG   28 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm
Right, well - here is take 2. As I explained, I got about 3/4 through the original one before I managed to destroy it accidentally. 

I left the house at 09:45ish, and made my way through the housing estate before walking up towards my nearest bus stop on the Durham-Newcastle stretch; Clifford Terrace - just beyond the top of Chester-le-Street Front Street. I had with me £20 (a ten and two fives), and got to the bus stop for about 09:55. The bus was due at 10:03, but after a couple of minutes, I saw an Angel B5 on the horizon...

#21 - Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham University Hospital - (10:06 --- 10:23) - Go North East 6065 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
Having received word from a certain somebody (*cough*citaro5284*cough*) that the vehicle would be 6070...I got a bit of a surprise when 6065 showed up. I showed the driver my key card, and handed over a £5 note for my Get Around day ticket. Once I had done this, I headed upstairs. The front seats had been snatched by two OAPs (who were asleep!) and took my seat a few behind. I suddenly then remembered that 6065 was the vehicle involved in that tragic cyclist accident in Low Fell...and I suddenly wished I had 6070 instead! I don't feel comfortable on a bus which someone has died under...probably just a sign of respect. Anyway, 6065 provided me with a very nice journey into Durham, and I pressed the bell to get off at the Durham University Hospital.

Once 6065 had glided off to Durham Bus Station, I stood with my back facing the bus stop, which was deserted, and got my camera out. It felt like absolutely ages before anything appeared heading north, whereas everything seemed to be heading into Durham. Then, 1323 appears. I get my camera ready, zoom in, and the second I take the photo, a car passes it and ruins it. Same with a Volvo President on the 15A, a Newcastle-bound Pulsar on the X2; the list goes on! I decided 'sod this', and headed back into the warmth of the bus stop, still empty, to escape the cold. 

#43 - Durham University Hospital to Durham Bus Station - (10:41 --- 10:46) - Go North East 5288 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Within two minutes, a Diamond Merc appeared. I was hoping for 5284, to make a certain someone's day...but it turned out to be 5288. The heating was perfect, ideal for what I had just suffered out in the cold. However, the bus was absolutely packed - half a dozen standees (myself included). Not many comments to make on this very short journey. I guess it was alright.

When I disembarked at Durham Bus Station, I spotted the perfect photo opportunity. 5288 was still letting passengers off, and I took a photo from that spot at the top. I hung around for about 5 minutes, and took a few photos of buses parked up at that set-down spot. I then went for a little wander around the city centre, visited a Gregg's for a Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melt then headed back to the bus station for a ride along to Bishop Auckland.

#X21 - Durham Bus Station to Bishop Auckland Bus Station - (11:34 --- 12:06) - Go North East 6021 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
After waiting a while, this X21 appeared at the top of the bus station, nearly 10 minutes late. Although this didn't bother me, as I hadn't been waiting long. We left Durham Bus Station at 11:36, and got to Bishop Auckland for 12:06. I didn't make many notes on the journey, although I will say - I think the X21 route between Durham and Bishop Auckland is very scenic - bit like the X43 between Stanley and the MetroCentre. The upper deck, where I sat at the front, was very quiet, making the journey a lot nicer. Although I did just stick my headphones in and let the journey go by!

After getting off in Bishop Auckland Bus Station; I watched 3878 stand at the Newcastle-bound stand leave, before 6021 went and parked up in the layover. I spotted a great photo opportunity, and took a snap of her in the layover. However, I used Arriva's 1503 on the 1 as cover, and avoided being seen by a gang of about a dozen chavs at the bottom of the bus station, they looked very intimidating so I just left it at that.

#X21 - Bishop Auckland Bus Station to Durham Bus Station - (12:32 --- 13:12) - Go North East 6021 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
I watched the next driver emerge and cross the bus station to get 6021 going again, and I got on and took my seat. It was rather quiet, and then half of those chavs got on, and guess where they sat?...the top deck was all mine prior to that, and they sat at the back like they were at home. It wasn't so bad, I had my headphones in so could only just hear them, and at around Spennymoor, the bus started to fill up with people heading to watch the match. Then, we struck massive traffic on the way into Durham, but luckily got to Durham Bus Station only about 5 minutes late.

I felt like going up to that spot again for some photos, then saw a 21 at the top of the bus station on the way in, so I just decided to go home.

#21 - Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - (13:15 --- 13:32) - Go North East 6058 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
Not many comments to make on this journey, although I did make notes on the announcements. I didn't feel bothered by them at all, even though it was just a 15 minute journey. Had a rather motionless driver at the wheel, possibly a robot although I'm not sure.

Overall, had a great day, even if I didn't do too much. I'm pleased I took some good photos while I was out, and I will probably do so again next week.  Smile

Thanks for reading, please like for more.  Big Grin
omnicity4659   28 Feb 2015, 6:30 pm
Here's my day;

#X21 - Fifth Avenue to Newcastle Haymarket - (0748 - 0840) - Arriva North East 7527 - ADL Trident 2 / ADL Enviro 400
Basically no power on board. Quiet until Bedlington, basically didn't take notice of anything, same usual journey, followed a taxi for about a mile through Gosforth, arrived at Haymarket, got a sandwich and a drink for three quid then...

Metro - Newcastle Haymarket to Newcastle Central Station - (0900 - 0904) - DB Regio / Nexus 40** - Class 994
Busy. Managed to get a seat. Arrived on platform for about 0915.

Metro - Newcastle Central Station to Newcastle Haymarket - (1504 - 1508) - DB Regio / Nexus 40** - Class 994
Very busy. Standing.

#X21 - Newcastle Haymarket to Fifth Avenue - (1514 - 1608) - Arriva North East 7501 - ADL Trident 2 / ADL Enviro 400
Pure shite. 

Hope you enjoyed by bus and metro roundup for today. It's taken the best part of nine hours and 20 minutes to compile.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   28 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 5:50 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Right, well - here is take 2. As I explained, I got about 3/4 through the original one before I managed to destroy it accidentally. 

I left the house at 09:45ish, and made my way through the housing estate before walking up towards my nearest bus stop on the Durham-Newcastle stretch; Clifford Terrace - just beyond the top of Chester-le-Street Front Street. I had with me £20 (a ten and two fives), and got to the bus stop for about 09:55. The bus was due at 10:03, but after a couple of minutes, I saw an Angel B5 on the horizon...

#21 - Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace to Durham University Hospital - (10:06 --- 10:23) - Go North East 6065 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
Having received word from a certain somebody (*cough*citaro5284*cough*) that the vehicle would be 6070...I got a bit of a surprise when 6065 showed up. I showed the driver my key card, and handed over a £5 note for my Get Around day ticket. Once I had done this, I headed upstairs. The front seats had been snatched by two OAPs (who were asleep!) and took my seat a few behind. I suddenly then remembered that 6065 was the vehicle involved in that tragic cyclist accident in Low Fell...and I suddenly wished I had 6070 instead! I don't feel comfortable on a bus which someone has died under...probably just a sign of respect. Anyway, 6065 provided me with a very nice journey into Durham, and I pressed the bell to get off at the Durham University Hospital.

Once 6065 had glided off to Durham Bus Station, I stood with my back facing the bus stop, which was deserted, and got my camera out. It felt like absolutely ages before anything appeared heading north, whereas everything seemed to be heading into Durham. Then, 1323 appears. I get my camera ready, zoom in, and the second I take the photo, a car passes it and ruins it. Same with a Volvo President on the 15A, a Newcastle-bound Pulsar on the X2; the list goes on! I decided 'sod this', and headed back into the warmth of the bus stop, still empty, to escape the cold. 

#43 - Durham University Hospital to Durham Bus Station - (10:41 --- 10:46) - Go North East 5288 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Within two minutes, a Diamond Merc appeared. I was hoping for 5284, to make a certain someone's day...but it turned out to be 5288. The heating was perfect, ideal for what I had just suffered out in the cold. However, the bus was absolutely packed - half a dozen standees (myself included). Not many comments to make on this very short journey. I guess it was alright.

When I disembarked at Durham Bus Station, I spotted the perfect photo opportunity. 5288 was still letting passengers off, and I took a photo from that spot at the top. I hung around for about 5 minutes, and took a few photos of buses parked up at that set-down spot. I then went for a little wander around the city centre, visited a Gregg's for a Sausage, Bean and Cheese Melt then headed back to the bus station for a ride along to Bishop Auckland.

#X21 - Durham Bus Station to Bishop Auckland Bus Station - (11:34 --- 12:06) - Go North East 6021 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
After waiting a while, this X21 appeared at the top of the bus station, nearly 10 minutes late. Although this didn't bother me, as I hadn't been waiting long. We left Durham Bus Station at 11:36, and got to Bishop Auckland for 12:06. I didn't make many notes on the journey, although I will say - I think the X21 route between Durham and Bishop Auckland is very scenic - bit like the X43 between Stanley and the MetroCentre. The upper deck, where I sat at the front, was very quiet, making the journey a lot nicer. Although I did just stick my headphones in and let the journey go by!

After getting off in Bishop Auckland Bus Station; I watched 3878 stand at the Newcastle-bound stand leave, before 6021 went and parked up in the layover. I spotted a great photo opportunity, and took a snap of her in the layover. However, I used Arriva's 1503 on the 1 as cover, and avoided being seen by a gang of about a dozen chavs at the bottom of the bus station, they looked very intimidating so I just left it at that.

#X21 - Bishop Auckland Bus Station to Durham Bus Station - (12:32 --- 13:12) - Go North East 6021 - Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President
I watched the next driver emerge and cross the bus station to get 6021 going again, and I got on and took my seat. It was rather quiet, and then half of those chavs got on, and guess where they sat?...the top deck was all mine prior to that, and they sat at the back like they were at home. It wasn't so bad, I had my headphones in so could only just hear them, and at around Spennymoor, the bus started to fill up with people heading to watch the match. Then, we struck massive traffic on the way into Durham, but luckily got to Durham Bus Station only about 5 minutes late.

I felt like going up to that spot again for some photos, then saw a 21 at the top of the bus station on the way in, so I just decided to go home.

#21 - Durham Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace - (13:15 --- 13:32) - Go North East 6065 - Volvo B5HL/Wright Gemini 2
Not many comments to make on this journey, although I did make notes on the announcements. I didn't feel bothered by them at all, even though it was just a 15 minute journey. Had a rather motionless driver at the wheel, possibly a robot although I'm not sure.

Overall, had a great day, even if I didn't do too much. I'm pleased I took some good photos while I was out, and I will probably do so again next week.  Smile

Thanks for reading, please like for more.  Big Grin

See you to started and ended the day on the same vehicle Tongue
citaro5284   28 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 7:23 pm)Robert wrote See you to started and ended the day on the same vehicle Tongue

And I love his signature...

What's that? You lost your phone and it's on silent? Too bad, if you liked it you should have put a ring on it. 
Malarkey   28 Feb 2015, 8:28 pm
For me today was just a short trip out into Gateshead for my Bus Pass for the week, Then I decided to go take some photos at Newcastle Coach Park, I then walked from there all the up St James' Boulevard and up Barack Road to Photograph the Convoy of Coaches which brought the Aston Villa fans up from Birmingham for todays Match, I then headed back to Eldon Square and got the 21 back to my Dads House.

Tomorrow im going over to my Brothers at West Denton so I may take few photos while making my way there.
Tom   28 Feb 2015, 8:31 pm
I might do a big trip next week but not sure where. Possibly Durham for a ride on the E200s.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   28 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm
Out of pure interest did anybody go out to get a few pics of 'East Coast' trains on their last day of operation today (TOC obviously - my post without this message would suggest otherwise)?
R852 PRG   28 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 9:34 pm)Robert wrote Out of pure interest did anybody go out to get a few pics of 'East Coast' trains on their last day of operation today?

No, totally forgot. And I couldn't be bothered dealing with Chester-le-Street station when they're flying past fast enough to suck you in! Tongue
citaro5284   28 Feb 2015, 9:41 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote No, totally forgot. And I couldn't be bothered dealing with Chester-le-Street station when they're flying past fast enough to suck you in! Tongue

I didnt but plenty of photos of new signage around Newcastle and Durham Stations.
Attached Files
.jpg
2015-02-28_213812.jpg (Size 61.88 KB Downloads 24)
.jpg
2015-02-28_213830.jpg (Size 32.07 KB Downloads 22)
.jpg
2015-02-28_213844.jpg (Size 36.24 KB Downloads 25)
.jpg
2015-02-28_213900.jpg (Size 34.96 KB Downloads 21)
.jpg
2015-02-28_213913.jpg (Size 32.28 KB Downloads 21)
mb134   28 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 6:30 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Here's my day;

#X21 - Fifth Avenue to Newcastle Haymarket - (0748 - 0840) - Arriva North East 7527 - ADL Trident 2 / ADL Enviro 400
Basically no power on board. Quiet until Bedlington, basically didn't take notice of anything, same usual journey, followed a taxi for about a mile through Gosforth, arrived at Haymarket, got a sandwich and a drink for three quid then...

Metro - Newcastle Haymarket to Newcastle Central Station - (0900 - 0904) - DB Regio / Nexus 40** - Class 994
Busy. Managed to get a seat. Arrived on platform for about 0915.

Metro - Newcastle Central Station to Newcastle Haymarket - (1504 - 1508) - DB Regio / Nexus 40** - Class 994
Very busy. Standing.

#X21 - Newcastle Haymarket to Fifth Avenue - (1514 - 1608) - Arriva North East 7501 - ADL Trident 2 / ADL Enviro 400
Pure shite. 

Hope you enjoyed by bus and metro roundup for today. It's taken the best part of nine hours and 20 minutes to compile.
7501 left Haymarket around 6.05/6.10 on an X20, assuming this is the run that is meant to be allocated a Sapphire Enviro.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kuyoyo   28 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm
(28 Feb 2015, 10:29 pm)mb134 wrote 7501 left Haymarket around 6.05/6.10 on an X20, assuming this is the run that is meant to be allocated a Sapphire Enviro.

1810 X20 from Newcastle and the 0823 from Ashington on Saturdays are on X21 boards (what the Sapphire boards are classed as).
Tom   01 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm
Does anyone know them best ticket to get for Arriva in Durham?

Next week I'm hoping to go as far as Deaf Hill and Peterlee, so is there a cheaper option than the £7.50 All Zones ticket?
R852 PRG   01 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm)Tom wrote Does anyone know them best ticket to get for Arriva in Durham?

Next week I'm hoping to go as far as Deaf Hill and Peterlee, so is there a cheaper option than the £7.50 All Zones ticket?

I think Arriva do a Durham-zone ticket, but it only stretches out as far as the Arnison Centre, Brandon, Framwellgate Moor and so on...

Here's a link: http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/bu...arlington/

You might be after a Durham District Day Saver.
Tom   01 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I think Arriva do a Durham-zone ticket, but it only stretches out as far as the Arnison Centre, Brandon, Framwellgate Moor and so on...

Here's a link: http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/bu...arlington/

Cheers Marcus.

I can't stand the Arriva Website and when I try to look at the tickets it won't let me. 

So I'm gathering I would need the £7.00 Durham County Ticket? 
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   01 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm)Tom wrote Cheers Marcus.

I can't stand the Arriva Website and when I try to look at the tickets it won't let me. 

So I'm gathering I would need the £7.00 Durham County Ticket? 

I would think so. It says you can travel anywhere within County Durham with it...so you should be fine with Peterlee if you opt for one.

Mind, if you choose to re-enter Tyne and Wear, you may as well just go for the All-Zones ticket, as there is not much difference in price.
Tom   01 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I would think so. It says you can travel anywhere within County Durham with it...so you should be fine with Peterlee if you opt for one.

Mind, if you choose to re-enter Tyne and Wear, you may as well just go for the All-Zones ticket, as there is not much difference in price.

I thought I would be able to get a ticket which I can use on the X2, and just get a £1.10 day ticket to get the 1 back.

Thanks for your help.
R852 PRG   01 Mar 2015, 12:30 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm)Tom wrote I thought I would be able to get a ticket which I can use on the X2, and just get a £1.10 day ticket to get the 1 back.

Thanks for your help.

I think there is an X2 routesaver for £5.

No problem.
Tom   01 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:30 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote I think there is an X2 routesaver for £5.

No problem.

I don't think that would be worth it as I'm going a few services hopefully Smile

Want to ride a E200 and possibly some Lowlanders. 
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   01 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm
Durham District won't cover you to Peterlee. Boundary points are Chester le Street in the North, Pittington/Sherburn in the East, Kelloe/Coxhoe/Cock o' the North in the South, and Crook/Willington/Bishop Auckland in the West. Also valid on X2 to Newcastle. 

I believe the 'Durham County' ticket would cover you, but by which time, you may as well have bought the NE All Zones ticket...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Tom   01 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm
(01 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm)aureolin wrote Durham District won't cover you to Peterlee. Boundary points are Chester le Street in the North, Pittington/Sherburn in the East, Kelloe/Coxhoe/Cock o' the North in the South, and Crook/Willington/Bishop Auckland in the West. Also valid on X2 to Newcastle. 

I believe the 'Durham County' ticket would cover you, but by which time, you may as well have bought the NE All Zones ticket...

Ah cheers Smile
I'll just get a £7.50 all zones ticket then. 
Pages (159)    167 68 69159