You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(15 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm)Jimmi wrote Just wish there was a bit more to do in Darlington Railway Station, looking on the map there is two coffee shops (one of them is Costa) and a WhSmiths.

Might actually take train photos just to kill some time, nothing else to do apart from drink coffee, go the toilet or pay an extortionate amount of money for some scran in WhSmiths.

On the upside to having an early train it will allow me to do Dalesbus and possibly Moorsbus from Darlington this year.

All being well, I'll be heading down too. If so, I'll be on the 0755 East Coast or 0800 TP to Darlington. Will probably see what's about the station to kill some time, and failing that, there's always room for a Coffee and Bacon butty! 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(15 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Out of interest, what were the loadings like for the Kirkby Stephen trip last year? Every seat taken or about half full?

Just, even though I imagine it's a great event, I can't be doing with a bus that feels like a 56 on Old Durham Road at 11:00 on a Saturday morning! Wink
Upper deck was more or less full - lower deck empty.

I stayed on the lower deck for the return journey as I didn't feel 100% iirc.
(15 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Out of interest, what were the loadings like for the Kirkby Stephen trip last year? Every seat taken or about half full?

Just, even though I imagine it's a great event, I can't be doing with a bus that feels like a 56 on Old Durham Road at 11:00 on a Saturday morning! Wink

You thinking about a trip out like Marcus?
(15 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote Upper deck was more or less full - lower deck empty.

I stayed on the lower deck for the return journey as I didn't feel 100% iirc.

Thanks Dan. I understand most enthusiasts would be on the upper deck (or saloon! Wink) - might look into going with my dad. He used to go to the MetroCentre Rallies back in the late 90s...boredom - and 3 hours away from my mam! Big Grin Big Grin

(15 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm)aureolin wrote You thinking about a trip out like Marcus?

Maybe. Would make an interesting review...add a bit more variety to what I've done so far! Wink
Well ill be going to the MetroCentre Rally and that will be it for me this year in the North East anyway as the other Rallies are awful, Really want to go to either Showbus, Lothian Open Doors or SVBM instead, we should put some life back into the "NEB Day Trips Thread" and plan a trip to one of the above I think.
Have to remember, last year used the Condor. This year, it's an Olympian.

And sadly, I'm likely to be working on Easter Sunday - it's the last of our 4 Preview Days at the Pub before our official opening on the Tuesday and we'll be having 300 invited guests, from the sounds of it the Sunday is the Staff's friends and family preview - which does mean a number of my friends miss out on a free carvery to visit Kirkby Stephen Wink
(15 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm)Malarkey wrote Well ill be going to the MetroCentre Rally and that will be it for me this year in the North East anyway as the other Rallies are awful, Really want to go to either Showbus, Lothian Open Doors or SVBM instead, we should put some life back into the "NEB Day Trips Thread" and plan a trip to one of the above I think.

I'll be going to the Lothian open doors day, as I quite enjoyed it last year. I'll most likely do SVBM too. Not entirely sure about Showbus yet, as I may just do a London there and back by Rail in the same day, and spend some proper time photographing. I don't think the NEB Day Trips would ever take off, as you're always having to rely on others. Best one or two just say they're heading to somewhere, and leaving it as an open invitation for others?

I'm with you on the North East, Adam. I'll do the 500 Group Running Day, MetroCentre, and maybe Durham, but I think that'll be it for me. 
(15 Mar 2015, 9:29 pm)aureolin wrote I'll be going to the Lothian open doors day, as I quite enjoyed it last year. I'll most likely do SVBM too. Not entirely sure about Showbus yet, as I may just do a London there and back by Rail in the same day, and spend some proper time photographing. I don't think the NEB Day Trips would ever take off, as you're always having to rely on others. Best one or two just say they're heading to somewhere, and leaving it as an open invitation for others?

I'm with you on the North East, Adam. I'll do the 500 Group Running Day, MetroCentre, and maybe Durham, but I think that'll be it for me. 
I think there is bit more scope for an NEBDT, As compared to last year there are quite few more Members who have started taking Photos i.e. Jimmi and Marcus, so they might be interested, obviously me, you and dan are the most likely to end going to one of above events, I would certainly look at again nearer the time of each event though.

Personally I wouldnt even bother going to Durham at all, there was only like 7 Vehicles there Last Year and very few Enthusiasts actually attended.
(15 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm)Malarkey wrote I think there is bit more scope for an NEBDT, As compared to last year there are quite few more Members who have started taking Photos i.e. Jimmi and Marcus, so they might be interested, obviously me, you and dan are the most likely to end going to one of above events, I would certainly look at again nearer the time of each event though.

Personally I wouldnt even bother going to Durham at all, there was only like 7 Vehicles there Last Year and very few Enthusiasts actually attended.

I'm only doing Durham as it's on my doorstep, and I already have an annual ticket to get me there. Smile
(15 Mar 2015, 9:45 pm)aureolin wrote I'm only doing Durham as it's on my doorstep, and I already have an annual ticket to get me there. Smile

I won't be doing Durham again this year as this time me and my family have planned to go to Blackpool for the day and I later discovered that Totally Transport is on so we decided to go on that Sunday (although it is still a provisional date).

Couldn't be bothered with Howlands last year partly because it is always held on fathers day and unfortunately they often seem to hold the Aycliffe 10k on that day too which leads to road closures including my local stops meaning the nearest stop I know the 7 will defiantly stop at takes about 20 minutes to walk to which is a total pain and puts me off greatly.
(15 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Thanks Dan. I understand most enthusiasts would be on the upper deck (or saloon! Wink) - might look into going with my dad. He used to go to the MetroCentre Rallies back in the late 90s...boredom - and 3 hours away from my mam! Big Grin Big Grin

I imagine most would also sit upstairs because you get better views sat upstairs.
I only ever do Metrocentre because it's more-or-less on my doorstep and only a ten minute drive.

Been tempted to do others in the past but distance and entry fees have put me off from attending. As Adrian (I believe) has said in other posts, how many times do you need to see the same set of vehicles on display?

I am serious about attending the 500 Group thing in April though. It'll be a bit of a day out and, as I've said elsewhere, I've always fancied a trip on the Transporter Bridge. Potentially being on a double-decker while crossing the Tees makes it even more appealing, as does the opportunity to meet other forum members.
(15 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Have to remember, last year used the Condor. This year, it's an Olympian.

And sadly, I'm likely to be working on Easter Sunday - it's the last of our 4 Preview Days at the Pub before our official opening on the Tuesday and we'll be having 300 invited guests, from the sounds of it the Sunday is the Staff's friends and family preview - which does mean a number of my friends miss out on a free carvery to visit Kirkby Stephen Wink

All the better! Big Grin
(15 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote All the better! Big Grin

I'm looking forward to riding an Olympian again!

Here's a photo of the steed - H728DDL
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91067319@N07/15693815014
Photo from Stagecarriage Flickr.
(14 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Today's North East Explorer (£9.50) was a huge success, 11 journeys in total, but sadly in the midst of everything - just Northern Rail, the Tyne and Wear Metro and Go North East. Sadly no Arriva or Stagecoach to cater for those enthusiasts. But anyway, hopefully those of you who aren't catered for enjoy reading this. Smile

#78 - Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange - (09:43 --- 10:18) - Go North East 4853 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
After having a brief conversation after waking up at 08:30 this morning with a friend, I was informed that my chariot to Sunderland on the 78 would be a Lime branded Renown, namely 4853. Splendid! Had intended to get the 09:10 instead of the 09:40 after considering getting the Northern Rail service through to Newcastle (in hindsight, pleased I didn't!) - but after finding out it would be 4853, it now proved to be a win-win move. Got to my local stop on the Chester-le-Street to Sunderland route for 09:30, and a couple of minutes later, I noticed that Diamond Merc on the A167. Lucky I suppose, as I was texting someone at the time and wasn't looking in that direction. 

Anyway, (I'm great at getting off-topic haha), at 09:40 the 78 hadn't showed, but I remembered being told she was running 5 minutes late anyway, so not worries. 4853 showed up at 09:43, and I got my Explorer from the driver. Sat towards the rear just above the step, and noticed it was surprisingly busy this run. Normally no more than half a dozen on, there was 10 I counted. Not a major difference, but something you do notice! 4853 was a splendid ride into Sunderland, even if my seat was a bit squeaky and irritating. A great way to kick off the day, a soon to be gone Lime B10BLE!

Tyne and Wear Metro - Park Lane to Haymarket - (10:32 --- 11:07) - Metrocars 4005 & 4037
Walked down into the Metro, and as I walked down the stairs, heard a Metro departing. Damn it. An 11 minute wait on the freezing, cold platform was endured, before a Metro showed up. 4005 was leading the train, so I just sat down on the rather quiet train. Surprising, but enjoyable because usually at this time it begins to crowd up at Sunderland (in my experience anyway!) Enjoyed the journey, which I had a seat throughout the whole of. Things got really crowded up at Heworth and Pelaw, etc, but eventually things started to quieten down as we hit Gateshead, Central and Monument, and it was 50% full by the time I disembarked at Haymarket. Walked across into the Haymarket, and picked up a Chicken Bake to satisfy my hunger. Saw a few things, then spotted a Renown departing on a 43. Bit irritated, have never tried an Arriva Renown (as far as I recall) and that would have been a great opportunity, if only as far as the Regent Centre. Then made my way across to Eldon Square, and saw 4846 park up in the layover bays on a 32. Couldn't be arsed to wait, but then noticed a Renown on the Red Kites.

#46 - Newcastle, Eldon Square Bus Station to MetroCentre Interchange - (11:22 --- 11:43) - Go North East 4904 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
Hopped on the bus, with only 3 other people sitting ready for our departure. Sat at those seats above the first step towards the back (seems to be my main spot for the majority of single deckers!) and let the journey go by with ease. However, my seat squeaked, much worse than on 4853, and then disembarked as soon as we got to the MetroCentre. Was another nice ride on a B10BLE, but like I've said before, I don't think 4904 is very good. Quite slow and squeaky, not a personal favourite.

Had a bit of a scope around the MetroCentre's bus station, and didn't notice anything good. So I just decided to hop on the next bus back to Newcastle. Was hoping for a 100, but then noticed a TEN heading in, so just went with that.

#10B - MetroCentre Interchange to Newcastle, Eldon Square - (11:50 --- 12:09) - Go North East 6073 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
After a quick driver changeover, I boarded 6073 and made my way upstairs. Left-hand front seats were free, so I hit them and looked out the front. A pleasant ride into Newcastle, and after hitting a bit of traffic in the city centre, after no more than 20 minutes I hopped off in Eldon Square. Decent bus, haven't been on this one in a while now. Noticed the destination number was just normal, unlike the other examples I saw today, didn't look quite right haha. 

Made my way out of Eldon Square, and after walking down Blackett Street then Pilgrim Street, I saw a Saltwell Park Streetlite waiting. Great! That was one of the aims of the day, so this was something to tick off.

#54 - Newcastle, Market Street West to Gateshead Interchange - (12:16 --- 12:49) - Go North East 8341 - Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite
This is where I made a bit of a mistake. I'd reviewed the timetables prior to today, and knew the 53 was something like a 12 minute journey from here to Gateshead, but I was obviously in such a rush, I didn't check the service number. D'oh! Noticed something wasn't right when we didn't head towards Gateshead Interchange after crossing the River Tyne....ohhhh sh!t. Went around just about every part of Gateshead (it felt like it anyway!) but made it to Gateshead Interchange about 30 minutes after I got on. So, what is my verdict on these Saltwell Parks? Personally, aside from the tour and the crowded passenger numbers; I feel like this was an alright vehicle. The engine was noticeable and evident throughout the whole journey, which I found myself quite fascinated by (not being a regular user of these). Wouldn't mind another ride in the future. Just ensure I don't board a 54 in Newcastle for Gateshead, and vice-versa for the 53! haha

#27 - Gateshead Interchange to Heworth Metro Station - (12:51 --- 13:04) - Go North East 5317 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Headed across from the 54 to the other side of the interchange, planning on getting on the first bus I could see for Heworth. Noticed a 57 at the top, but didn't want to chance it and just played it safe by hopping on the Crusader in front of me. Rather quiet, no more than a dozen people on. Hit my regular choice of seats and waited for the journey to go by. When we got to Gateshead High Street, a trio of kids got on; two girls - one boy. Boy gets on and asks ''for a 90'' followed by one girl who did the same. However, one couldn't find her return ticket amongst her bags, and after a minute, the driver just abandoned ship and drove off...PAHAHAHA...me being the cynic I am, I found this most amusing. 

Anyway, we got to Heworth and I disembarked. It was rather busy, I assume a Metro had just come through, so I had a bit of a walk around looking for any opportunity for a photograph. Citylink 5388 was in the layover having worked a 58 in, and then made my way across to the other side of the interchange. A Connections 4 Merc was heading in from Houghton-le-Spring, and I decided to get that to Washington, then an X1 back across the river. 

#4 - Heworth Metro Station to Washington, The Galleries Bus Station - (13:11 --- 13:33) - Go North East 5358 - Mercedes 0530N/Mercedes Citaro
Second Citaro of the day, and I sat at that favourite spot on any full-sized single decker. As I walked up the aisle, I noticed something, so I may as well strike a debate - does anyone think Citaros are really dark inside? I think they are, to be honest. But, anyway, I sank into my seat; and noticed how comfy it was! Despite the 4 running quite near me, I'm a rare user myself. Last time I was on one was back in January, and I sat at the very front left-hand seat, absolutely killed my backside. Whereas these seats in the main part of the interior were really plushy and comfortable, I loved it! Definitely going to try another ride on one next week while I'm out. Things started to fill up after Concord, and there were standees by the time we got to Washington. Lovely 20-odd minute journey!

#X1 - Washington, The Galleries Bus Station to Gateshead Interchange - (13:45 --- 14:10) - Go North East 6050 - Volvo B9TL/Wright Gemini 2
Waited for the 13:34 #X1 for Newcastle, and it was a no-show! Hung around, as there was no other way to get back to Newcastle in order to catch my Northern service to Sunderland at 14:30. Eventually, two Red Arrows B9s came into sight, and one stopped down at the bottom to set down passengers. The huge queue that formed due to the 13:34 not turning up led to the chance of me standing. But, I did manage to sit at one of the foldy thingy seats for the journey. Because of the delay, this meant I would have to bail at Gateshead. Always had my eye on my watch, so didn't make many notes on the journey and the bus. 

After hopping off at Gateshead, I made my way down to the Metro station. Perfectly timed, just as I got down to platform level, I heard the rumbling of a Metro drawing close. 

Tyne and Wear Metro - Gateshead to Central Station - (14:13 --- 14:15) - Metrocars 4015 & 4032
Got on, and was relieved that I wouldn't be missing my Northern Rail back to Sunderland. Not many comments to make, just a couple of minutes on it. Stood up against that little bit for you to rest against (think regular users will know what I mean) and just played Crossy Road for a bit. hehe

Hopped off, and made my way out of platform level and up the escalators. I can't help but feel that Haymarket, Central, etc, feel a lot like Tube station (with the massive escalators, etc)...lol, just a random comment to give this bit a little something to say for itself. I walked across to the other side after entering the station, and took a photo of the Thunderbird 67 in it's siding (67003 I think?) - will upload it later, the only decent photo I took today! 

2N30 - Newcastle Central Station to Sunderland Station - (14:25 --- 14:54) - Northern Rail 142089 - Class 142 ''Pacer'' Diesel Multiple Unit
Noticed my Nunthorpe-bound Northern train pulling in on Platform 5, and went over as it stopped at 14:24. After waiting in the queue to board, I got on and got myself a seat in the middle of the rear carriage. Heating was brilliant, and I was just waiting for for us to depart to be honest! As we slowly crept out of Platform 5, and we rounded the bend, I noticed a 66 on Freight, damn! Would have been a good photo...but then I noticed the screams as we crossed the points and rounded the bend. Dear me, absolute ear-rape!! Tried to block it out with my earphones, but I could still hear it. People were wincing with pain at the noise! Got quite bad around Heworth too! Safe to say I was relieved when we got to Sunderland!

Walked out of the station, and found myself on the streets of Sunderland. 10 minutes until my 78 home left Park Lane, help! Followed any signs, and got to Park Lane c.15:03. Quickly nipped into Gregg's for something, then made my way across to the Lime's stand. 

#78 - Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange to Chester-le-Street Durham County Cricket Ground - (15:09 --- 15:48) - Go North East 4896 - Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown
With no bus in sight, I had finally made it for my final journey of the day. Saw a red Volvo enter the bus station, and noticed it's destination set for the 78 to Consett. Ahhhhh...4896 as well! Not a bad bus out of the former Lime batch. No squeaky seats either! Pleasant ride back home, with some lovely views with the sun shining a bit too! 

Got to my local stop, and got off. Walked back through the housing estate, and paid a visit to my grandma's house to drop off a leaflet on the diversions. Informed her of my little stand towards the girls in my tutor group, and made my way back along to mine. Got in the house around 16:40ish. 

Thanks for reading!! Smile Please like for more next week.

Marcus

White ear phones (or whatever the trendy kids call them these days)?

You looked like a rabbit caught between a set of headlights when I passed 4583 at a junction.
Had no idea it was you, until reading this just now like.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Mar 2015, 3:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote White ear phones (or whatever the trendy kids call them these days)?

You looked like a rabbit caught between a set of headlights when I passed 4583 at a junction.

Yup, Apple earphones (or headphones, even I don't know! Tongue - the ones that go in your ears!).

Where was this at? Great Lumley, Bournmoor, Shiney Row, etc? Smile Was sat right-hand side seats above the step forwards the back.
(16 Mar 2015, 3:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote White ear phones (or whatever the trendy kids call them these days)?

Phrase of the century...made me chuckle anyway.
(16 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Very rare you get a like from Robert, pat yourself on the back, Andreos!

Have i really only given 15 likes? I must just be hard to please Smile 
(16 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Yup, Apple earphones (or headphones, even I don't know! Tongue - the ones that go in your ears!).

Where was this at? Great Lumley, Bournmoor, Shiney Row, etc? Smile Was sat right-hand side seats above the step forwards the back.

That would be telling.
Don't worry. I wasn't stalking you (more important things to do) and apart from the startled expression and white ear buds (I have been informed that is their name), I couldn't remember what you look like at all.
I did see a "Danalike" at a railway station later in the day though. Wasn't sure if it was you and your obsession had gone too far Wink or if it was the real one!

(16 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm)Robert wrote Phrase of the century...made me chuckle anyway.

Wasn't sure what the face was for. Maybe he had seen a fellow enthusiast on the bus and didn't know what to do!
(16 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote Wasn't sure what the face was for. Maybe he had seen a fellow enthusiast on the bus and didn't know what to do!

We all know what he likes doing when he sees other enthusiasts - he hops on the next bus without saying hello
(16 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote That would be telling.
Don't worry. I wasn't stalking you (more important things to do) and apart from the startled expression and white ear buds (I have been informed that is their name), I couldn't remember what you look like at all.
I did see a "Danalike" at a railway station later in the day though. Wasn't sure if it was you and your obsession had gone too far Wink or if it was the real one!

Wasn't sure what the face was for. Maybe he had seen a fellow enthusiast on the bus and didn't know what to do!

Assuming you were in the car, I was likely just staring out of the window, mindlessly staring and smiling.  Cool Wasn't intending to pull a face. If I'd known to look out for you, I would have made notes on you and reported back!  Big Grin
Here's Saturday's short but sweet review -

10:40 - 56 Wrekenton to Gateshead - Well I was meant to be getting the X25 but I missed it by the skin of my teeth so I got lumbered with Caroline another Gateshead fan on the 56. Good ride.

11:10 ish - 93 to Gateshead Stadium - Good ride on the Solar. But rickety inside but pretty much all of them are like that

11:20 till 17:02 Gateshead FC v Macclesfield Town FC - Good win 2-1

17:13 93 to Grey Nags Head - Again good ride. Obviously the Heed fans were in good spirits and I think the driver got a bit peed off with the chanting

17:18 till 19:01 - Grey Nags Head - You have to celebrate a win somehow!

19:10 21 - Barley Mow - Another good ride, saw 2 people I knew so got talking
(16 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Here's Saturday's short but sweet review -

10:40 - 56 Wrekenton to Gateshead - Well I was meant to be getting the X25 but I missed it by the skin of my teeth so  I got lumbered with Caroline another Gateshead fan on the 56. Good ride.

11:10 ish - 93 to Gateshead Stadium - Good ride on the Solar. But rickety inside but pretty much all of them are like that

11:20 till 17:02 Gateshead FC v Macclesfield Town FC - Good win 2-1

17:13 93 to Grey Nags Head - Again good ride. Obviously the Heed fans were in good spirits and I think the driver got a bit peed off with the chanting

17:18 till 19:01 - Grey Nags Head - You have to celebrate a win somehow!

19:10 21 - Barley Mow - Another good ride, saw 2 people I knew so got talking

Rolleyes

Hopefully you are referring to the bus!
Forgot to update my Signature with yesterdays travels (16/3/15):
- Go North East Volvo Olympian NC Palatine 2 3825 (S825 OFT)
- Stanley Travel Volvo B7TL Plaxton President 6021 (LK03 NJY)
Had an unexpected bit of luck courtesy of Go North East, and I already had a week off planned in two weeks - ideal! I'm going to plan 5 or 6 days out off the trot, and pretty much cover everywhere GNE serve. As well as doing Hexham again, I'll also look at Bishop, Stockton, Boro, Consett, Stanley and Hartlepool. 

Also got a long overdue trip to Carlisle to fit in! 
Taking advantage of my week off from work/training, I decided to cover part of Tyneside and Northumberland today followed by a first (and last) trip on one of Leven Valley's services along parts of roads that from Saturday won't have evening services.

0750 Stillington to Stockton LVL 84 W365ABD
0833 Stockton to Newcastle GNE X10 6047
1000 Newcastle to Blyth ANE X10 7608
1143 Blyth to Whitley Bay ANE 308 7806
1222 Whitley Bay to North Shields ANE 306 1583
1320 North Shields to Newcastle GNE 310 6113
1600 Newcastle to Middlesbrough GNE X10 6047
1749 Middlesbrough to Billingham via Low Grange SOT 34 22471
1827 Billingham to Stockton SOT 36 27172
1948 Stockton to Yarm Willey Flatts LVL 77 Y178CFS
2019 Yarm Willey Flatts to Stockton LVL 77 Y178CFS
2050 Stockton to North Tees Hospital SOT 37 27166