You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015
(22 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm)palatine3833 wrote I think people go into the job and get put off by the public.  Whilst most of the time the public are friendly, you only have to look at the GNE/ANE Facebook pages to see how quickly they can turn on you.  I personally think people can only take so much of getting abuse off people and that is why some don't last long in the industry.  If you're nice to the public, they're generally nice back, but it's hard to put on a smile when you're getting blamed for something which isn't your fault (running late, breakdowns etc.) Smile

Is it just the public, or are management 'techniques' and decisions questionable too?
Not just at one specific operator either.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(22 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm)Davie wrote Probably as soon as possible 

Hopefully, i just hope its not rubbish...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Mar 2015, 11:11 am)MurdnunoC wrote Anyone going to the recruitment day at the Metrocentre?

Been here twp minutes and I've already witnessed a near miss.

Bazza is in attendance along with someone else taking photos.
the person with me was leetransportphotos on NEB
(22 Mar 2015, 11:23 am)MurdnunoC wrote 644, 5388, 6115, 6070, 8344, 7090, 6094, 638 and another Blaydon Racers bus.
(22 Mar 2015, 11:46 am)Dan wrote Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Micro-Hybrid 5391 (NK15 EMV) is still yet to be delivered, but I've updated our fleet lists to reflect the arrival of the four new X66 vehicles as it should arrive early next week amongst the examples for the 8/78.
thought it had arrived already probs arrive sometime this week or next i would imagine
(22 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm)Michael wrote Dan do you know when the X66 Streetlites will get branded?

good question i think maybe this week or next
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
(22 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm)Malarkey wrote While these threats havent been confirmed by a representative of Stagecoach, why would they confirm that they are true, if they did then that put the entire companies North East Operations into Disrepute which of course they would want to avoid, because of potential implications that it would have on the Company.

But whats to say The Go-Ahead Group and Stagecoach havent already held discussions regarding a potential takeover of Stagecoachs North East Service Operations though if QCS was to be implemented in the near future, we have seen First takeover Western Greyhounds Operations, and Stagecoach/Stagecarriage takeover Leven Valleys Operation in the past month so what is to say the above cant happen.

We dont know what is going on behind closed doors now do we, I would imagine if an agreement is in place between both operators then that wouldnt be announced until after QCS is confirmed, with the final report which was expected to be published in May, now expected to be published by 31/10/15, This gives Go-Ahead plenty of time to prepare for a potential takeover, along with finding New Drivers etc.

With reference to comments about an expansion of operations into other areas for example Northumberland, which I would say is the most likely failing that I am completely wrong in what I think above, but would that not be a commercial risk in the long run, particularly if your planning on taking on upto 300 New Drivers to cover those operations.

The threat has been confirmed: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-e...00-6314144

At the moment, is QCS definitely going ahead or is the a hearing in the future? We'd have to wait until the actual QCS verdict to see what SC does. At the moment, i wouldn't have thought anything has been decided yet. Plus, i'd imagine most of the SC drivers will be transferred over to the new Operating Company that takes them over (if they do withdraw) rather than brand new drivers being brought in.
(22 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm)Robert wrote The threat has been confirmed: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-e...00-6314144

At the moment, is QCS definitely going ahead or is the a hearing in the future? We'd have to wait until the actual QCS verdict to see what SC does. At the moment, i wouldn't have thought anything has been decided yet. Plus, i'd imagine most of the SC drivers will be transferred over to the new Operating Company that takes them over (if they do withdraw) rather than brand new drivers being brought in.

The oral evidence hearings are due to take place on the 13th-17th and 20th-24th of July  as they were due to happen during March/April, but Bus Operators agreed the dates could not be fulfilled, due to Nexus asking for more time to prepare a response to the Bus Operators during a meeting in London on the 25th February. Then verdict which was due to be published in May has been pushed back until October 31st.

With reference to the Drivers of Stagecoach, I agree I think the majority would transfer over to the new operating company if Stagecoach were to of course withdraw from the North East.
(22 Mar 2015, 1:33 pm)aureolin wrote I honestly don't think it's got anything to do with QCS. I think it's more likely that the company are looking into their own plans for expansion...

Expansion into Northumberland possibly?

Arriva is just fobbing people off now, with ridiculously high fares and horrid buses.
Doesn't the 'right to transfer' only apply when a company is taken over by another?

For this to occur, some agreement (such as when GNE took over the Arriva Hexham operation and depot) would be needed.

If Stagecoach merely 'withdraw' there will not only be drivers but vehicles (and, maybe, depots) involved.
(22 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm)Robert wrote The threat has been confirmed: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-e...00-6314144

It's hardly confirmed though is it?

We won't get confirmation until we find out whether QCS goes ahead or if indeed Souter decides to pull out. As other councils across the country are seriously considering the QCS option, Souter's threat may become very unsustainable not to mention foolish in the long run if QCS is adopted elsewhere. I mean, how many towns and cities can he withdraw buses from before he starts to lose money? If I were a shareholder in his company, I'd be concerned about his threats.
But whats to say The Go-Ahead Group and Stagecoach havent already held discussions regarding a potential takeover of Stagecoachs North East Service Operations though if QCS was to be implemented in the near future, we have seen First takeover Western Greyhounds Operations, and Stagecoach/Stagecarriage takeover Leven Valleys Operation in the past month so what is to say the above cant happen.

We dont know what is going on behind closed doors now do we, I would imagine if an agreement is in place between both operators then that wouldnt be announced until after QCS is confirmed,

If GNE & SC or ANE or any combination of the 3 enter into any talks of a commercial nature, this would surely breach competition law. Authorities are waiting to jump on this kind of activity.
Commercial managers in many markets are now being directed to Not even attend social trade events e.g. Golf days,or trade association meetings, in order to avoid any comment that market info is discussed (operations, marketing, pricing, market segmentation, promotions etc..) If found guilty of breaching competition law penalty can be a fine of 10% of the Total Group's (Worldwide) Annual Turnover. - Should one of the parties report another (Whistleblow) then they will be exempt from prosecution.
"Article 102 (of the Treaty of Lisbon) prohibits the abuse of dominant position such as price discrimination and exclusive dealing" - IMO  Many Routes and operators in the North East may fall into this area where no competition exists.

I guess NEBOA worked under strict observation as to not fall foul of this legislation.

ANE/GNE Ashington & Hexham depot & routes transfer did raise some issues as reported at the time
(22 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm)Racer_Experience wrote the person with me was leetransportphotos on NEB

(22 Mar 2015, 5:13 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I was at the event along with Bazza, Davie and another fellow enthusiast... It was a good day in total!

Were you taking photographs while people were driving buses around the 'course'?

I'd be interested to see whether I pop-up in any photos  Big Grin

When I was there (approx 11:15), you and Bazza were hovering around the free coffee-trolley they had there. I'm assuming you were wearing something red.
(22 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm)MurdnunoC wrote It's hardly confirmed though is it?

We won't get confirmation until we find out whether QCS goes ahead or if indeed Souter decides to pull out. As other councils across the country are seriously considering the QCS option, Souter's threat may become very unsustainable not to mention foolish in the long run if QCS is adopted elsewhere. I mean, how many towns and cities can he withdraw buses from before he starts to lose money? If I were a shareholder in his company, I'd be concerned about his threats.

The threat is confirmed but the action isnt and that is the point i was trying to make. No actions will be confirmed untill it is decided whether QCS goes ahead or not.
(22 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I took a few yeah, so you may be in them! I had a red sports shirt on and a GNE cap

I think I may have overheard you voicing your concerns to a supervisor over the allocation of Streetlites to the Limes and the X66. 
(22 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Yeah I was having a rant

What kind of reply did you get from him about that?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm)Michael wrote What kind of reply did you get from him about that?

From where I was, the supervisor seemed to be rather disinterested in his opinion. I think he thought he was mad. 
He said that I'm not the only one to complain so far and they are expecting hundreds more but they've done their research.... He did say that he disagrees with Streetlites on the Red Kite though. He said he wasn't too sure about the Lime
(22 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)MurdnunoC wrote From where I was, the supervisor seemed to be rather disinterested in his opinion. I think he thought he was mad. 

Thanks... It means a lot
(22 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)leestransportphotos wrote He said that I'm not the only one to complain so far and they are expecting hundreds more but they've done their research.... He did say that he disagrees with Streetlites on the Red Kite though. He said he wasn't too sure about the Lime

Hmm interesting, i think they have a point with the X66/Red Kite ones though...The Lime it varies during the day so it may just work.

I think we will know the fleet news this week, by GNE posting that 3 new Streetlites have arrived..........
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(22 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Thanks... It means a lot

Hey, I call it as I see it. 

To be honest, I didn't hear the supervisors response. It was his body language and facial expression which suggested indifference...
(22 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm)leestransportphotos wrote He said that I'm not the only one to complain so far and they are expecting hundreds more but they've done their research.... He did say that he disagrees with Streetlites on the Red Kite though. He said he wasn't too sure about the Lime

Which is correct. They wouldn't have ordered streetlites if they didnt think they'd work...
I wasn't saying I didn't think it would work. I was pointing out the fact that I was on a Citaro on the X66 this morning and there was at least 20 standees
(22 Mar 2015, 6:05 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I wasn't saying I didn't think it would work. I was pointing out the fact that I was on a Citaro on the X66 this morning and there was at least 20 standees

20 standees?

It's only a 10-15 minute journey, I've stood when a bendy has been full to the brim and it isn't that bad.

The problem is, people aren't wanting people to sit next to them so they sit on the inner seats rather the the outer seats.
Yes I counted 19. The bus was packed but it was 10ish.

It does my head in like mad when people sit on the outer seats and there is elderly people for example who have no where to sit! It's just general ignorance and it really boils my pi**! Davie you do that on the 9 don't you
(22 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm)citaro5284 wrote At least the Streetlite has 5 more seats compared to 5332.
I hate the seating layout on the Citaro's, if you sit on the lower level there is little room for my legs because of the heater and I nearly always end up having to sit on the backwards seats next to the sideways seats and the only way I can sit comfortably is to place one of my legs behind the sideways seats.
(22 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm)Robert wrote Which is correct. They wouldn't have ordered streetlites if they didnt think they'd work...

Omni's on the 21?
Marshall Darts on the 194?
Handybus on the 26, 721 and 777?
All replaced, older, bigger vehicles - the first two examples ended up having the originals back on route pretty soon.
The final example ended up with bigger vehicles too.

Granted technology is better now, but the reports relating to loadings won't be faultless.
The new vehicles may even stir additional custom, putting extra demand on the service - like the Mercs did on the X1.

You then have the build quality.
The Renowns have lasted on the 78/8 route since the late 90's, despite some of them looking worse for wear both internally and externally.
A short trial and the word of a sales-rep from Wrights isn't the best way to check suitability.
Council cutbacks may mean the road conditions deteriorate to a worse state than at present.

Like any purchase, it is a calculated gamble.
Only time will tell whether it was the correct one.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm)Andreos1 wrote Omni's on the 21?
Marshall Darts on the 194?
Handybus on the 26, 721 and 777?
All replaced, older, bigger vehicles - the first two examples ended up having the originals back on route pretty soon.
The final example ended up with bigger vehicles too.

Granted technology is better now, but the reports relating to loadings won't be faultless.
The new vehicles may even stir additional custom, putting extra demand on the service - like the Mercs did on the X1.

You then have the build quality.
The Renowns have lasted on the 78/8 route since the late 90's, despite some of them looking worse for wear both internally and externally.
A short trial and the word of a sales-rep from Wrights isn't the best way to check suitability.
Council cutbacks may mean the road conditions deteriorate to a worse state than at present.

Like any purchase, it is a calculated gamble.
Only time will tell whether it was the correct one.

I agree with Robert. Go North East is able to monitor how many passengers get on a bus and which tickets/passes have been issued or used for passengers to board using one of its very many systems. This data was used prior to an order being made, and members of Go North East staff were out from early morning runs to late evening runs in August when single deckers (the Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro and "Drifter" branded Streetlite) to monitor and record loadings. This is on top of the extra Saturday bus being provided by a red Versa (when not required to cover for a branded vehicle on the "Citylink" 58 service) from November 2013 onwards.

According to drivers on the X66 service, Go North East does not expect to see market growth as a result of the new vehicles entering service. The new vehicles will see lower running costs (Streetlites are far more fuel-efficient than articulated Mercedes Citaros and there is no increased rate of pay any more) and hence increased profits, so there was no need to revolve a business case around increased patronage.

It's highly unlikely that the Streetlites would last 15 years on the 8/78 services, but I doubt Go North East intend to use them on said services for 15 years anyway... Sadly, I think it's quite likely that most bus operators will look to purchase light-weight vehicles and cascading them to lesser roles quicker than they ordinarily would have done with a heavy-weight vehicle. DaveyBowyer has told us plenty of times about how there is so little on offer for a heavy-weight double decker now, and that's because the majority of the market has been in favour of light-weight double deckers instead so that they can reap the rewards (lower running costs) in doing so. I think it's quite likely that the same will end up happening with single deckers, too.