You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015
(22 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm)Dan wrote I agree with Robert. Go North East is able to monitor how many passengers get on a bus and which tickets/passes have been issued or used for passengers to board using one of its very many systems. This data was used prior to an order being made, and members of Go North East staff were out from early morning runs to late evening runs in August when single deckers (the Euro 6 Mercedes Citaro and "Drifter" branded Streetlite) to monitor and record loadings. This is on top of the extra Saturday bus being provided by a red Versa (when not required to cover for a branded vehicle on the "Citylink" 58 service) from November 2013 onwards.

According to drivers on the X66 service, Go North East does not expect to see market growth as a result of the new vehicles entering service. The new vehicles will see lower running costs (Streetlites are far more fuel-efficient than articulated Mercedes Citaros and there is no increased rate of pay any more) and hence increased profits, so there was no need to revolve a business case around increased patronage.

It's highly unlikely that the Streetlites would last 15 years on the 8/78 services, but I doubt Go North East intend to use them on said services for 15 years anyway... Sadly, I think it's quite likely that most bus operators will look to purchase light-weight vehicles and cascading them to lesser roles quicker than they ordinarily would have done with a heavy-weight vehicle. DaveyBowyer has told us plenty of times about how there is so little on offer for a heavy-weight double decker now, and that's because the majority of the market has been in favour of light-weight double deckers instead so that they can reap the rewards (lower running costs) in doing so. I think it's quite likely that the same will end up happening with single deckers, too.

Indeed that is the way the whole industry is going now - save on short term costs and worry about long term later.... There is no way Streetlites will last up to 15 years old, which means they will need replacing quicker but of course that is 10 years down the line so we'll worry about that then. The ever more stringent rules on emissions etc are forcing manufacturers to cut as much weight out as possible too.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Today I actually asked one of the drivers I know from Washington depot about the 82 hoo-har and he said that the service was losing money hands down before the changes and still is. Also he said that he has had no problem driving a Solar around Birtley on it before, in fact he said the first bus to do that run (test run) was a Scania Solar! Also the 82 route WILL be changing next month.... No investment is planned though as it is not classed as an 'important' route
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2015, 8:53 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Today I actually asked one of the drivers I know from Washington depot about the 82 hoo-har and he said that the service was losing money hands down before the changes and still is. Also he said that he has had no problem driving a Solar around Birtley on it before, in fact he said the first bus to do that run (test run) was a Scania Solar! Also the 82 route WILL be changing next month.... No investment is planned though as it is not classed as an 'important' route

The services which were revised in January/February 2015 should be on a six-month probationary period before any further changes are made. It tends to take about six months for all potential customers to be fully aware of where a new bus service goes, which is why this time frame is used.

Service 82 will not be changing next month. A VOSA registration for changes has not been sent in yet, and these have to be sent in with a minimum of 56 days notice prior to the planned service revisions. There are a couple of exceptions to this, but I don't think "our service is running at a loss" (which I doubt in the first place?) would be one of them.
He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank
(22 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)leestransportphotos wrote He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank

That would still have to be registered through VOSA regardless of how minor the change.
(22 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm)leestransportphotos wrote He said it definitely will be changing: I'm not talking about major changes,.. I'm talking about its getting re-routed around Birtley. He said it will no longer be turning left back up onto Harras Bank

It'd still require an amendment putting in to VOSA.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator

The only way a change to the service could be made with a registration made to VOSA in fewer than 56 days would, in this instance, be if the change is being made in response to a request from a traffic authority or the police on road safety or traffic grounds. The operator must give evidence of this request (eg a letter).
I'm not saying it didn't need registered with VOSA unless I have wrote something which you's can see and I can't?
I have at no point said anything about VOSA! All I'm doing is saying what the driver said... It doesn't need to turn into some massive technical debate
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2015, 9:04 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I have at no point said anything about VOSA! All I'm doing is saying what the driver said... It doesn't need to turn into some massive technical debate

It wasn't our intention to spark a "massive technical debate", we were just pointing out that service changes are unlikely to occur next month because a service revision has to be registered with VOSA prior to it occurring. There's no ifs or buts about this.

Other users on the forum will have a better local knowledge of the area than myself, but it's unlikely that the driver is right if there's no safety concerns with regards to the current routing of the service (as per the exception to the '56 day rule' outlined in my previous post). If there is, the driver may well be correct and VOSA may not have uploaded the registration to their website just yet.
I know Birtley Doctors have complained about the buses using Harras Bank and especially the use of double deckers. Also, before I forget I was waiting for the 82 for over 1 hour in Birtley earlier and not 1 of 2 turned up! How does that work!?!!?
(22 Mar 2015, 9:10 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I know Birtley Doctors have complained about the buses using Harras Bank and especially the use of double deckers. Also,  before I forget I was waiting for the 82 for over 1 hour in Birtley earlier and not 1 of 2 turned up! How does that work!?!!?

I too wasn't trying to spark a debate - only pointing out that if a revision was taking place, it'd have been legally registered or amended. Upcoming service changes threads on NEB are a good reference point if you don't want to check VOSA yourself, as any changes are generally posted there.

There should never be that much of a gap in service. I assume you wrote to customer services to query it? I'm not fan of deckers being used on these routes either, but at the same time, there's sometimes no alternative? I'd pointed out last week that Washington's spares are quite restricted, given that two of their 6 routes are unable to operate with deckers (4 & 88/88A).
Just because they're drivers for the company, it doesn't say that everything that comes out of their mouths from an enthusiasts point of view is correct. I'm not saying they aren't reliable full stop but i am saying that they probably just base their 'facts' on rumours going around the other drivers at the depot. Somebody who works in the office (such as Citaro and Dan) may be a better source.
I rang customer service but then they tend to do nowt. They say they will pass it on but whether they do or not is another thing!
(22 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm)leestransportphotos wrote I rang customer service but then they tend to do nowt. They say they will pass it on but whether they do or not is another thing!

I find it's easier to just drop them an email, and then you have reference to it if you ever spot the same issue again - customerservices@gonortheast.co.uk
Site Administrator
(22 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm)aureolin wrote I too wasn't trying to spark a debate - only pointing out that if a revision was taking place, it'd have been legally registered or amended. Upcoming service changes threads on NEB are a good reference point if you don't want to check VOSA yourself, as any changes are generally posted there.

There should never be that much of a gap in service. I assume you wrote to customer services to query it? I'm not fan of deckers being used on these routes either, but at the same time, there's sometimes no alternative? I'd pointed out last week that Washington's spares are quite restricted, given that two of their 6 routes are unable to operate with deckers (4 & 88/88A).

Whey aye - course they can! Convert them to open top for a large variety of different coastal services (cue Malarkey)... Didn't you hear that's where these 300 new drivers are going? Wink 
(22 Mar 2015, 9:23 pm)Dan wrote Whey aye - course they can! Convert them to open top for a large variety of different coastal services (cue Malarkey)... Didn't you hear that's where these 300 new drivers are going? Wink 
Whitley Bay to Scarborough Every 3/4 Minutes, with a Variety of Short Workings in Between is what I heard.
(22 Mar 2015, 9:49 pm)citaro5284 wrote I heard it was via Ashington, Morpeth and Berwick.

Thats odd.
i reckon tomorrows fleet news will sound like this 3 brand new streetlites have been received but not yet in service it always says that ill post the post in the morning when i can or edit this post
Favourite Company is: Go North East
Favourite Operator in UK is: EYMS
Owner of Bella the Cat

Mood right now: Fustrated and Feel Left Out
Site Administrator
(23 Mar 2015, 12:54 am)Racer_Experience wrote i reckon tomorrows fleet news will sound like this 3 brand new streetlites have been received but not yet in service it always says that ill post the post in the morning when i can or edit this post
Just remember to read the posts before yours, in case someone else posts it before you...
Could rival arriva step in and make a random route up they did it once with OK1 and that service disappeared into thin air
Owner of Bella the Cat

Site Administrator
(16 Mar 2015, 4:52 pm)Dan wrote To answer a question posted earlier today: two vehicles arrived at Saltmeadows over the weekend for repaint - these being 561 and 6023.

Percy Main's Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6023 will, of course, be repainted into Go North East's corporate livery (thus bringing our totals to 108 vehicles in Go North East's corporate livery, with 95 presently remaining in "Northern" branding). Less obvious but easily worked out given the time of year; Deptford's Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 561 (NK53 TLF) will be given a fresh coat of yellow, ahead of transfer to Hexham, where it will see allocation to service AD122.

Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 561 (NK53 TLF) was returned to Deptford this morning, after having additionally been re-trimmed. Hexham's former "Tynedale Links" branded 557 (NK53 TKV) arrived at Saltmeadows this morning in its place for the same treatment.

Stanley's former "Red Kite" branded Scania CN230UB/Scania Omnicity 5234 (NK56 KHB) is, as we speak, in the process of being prepared for its repaint, ahead of new vehicles arriving for the "Red Kite" services in the coming weeks and its consequent cascade to another service.

There have been no new arrivals today.
Might have been reported but 5303 has got a rear advert advertising
Owner of Bella the Cat

Where will Stanley's Scania Omnicities be used once new vehicles arrive for Red Kite?  I have seen some GNE corporate branded examples recently operating the X70/1 & X30/1 (former West Durham Swift routes) for which these were original eqpt. before Stanley's Double Deckers being utilised between scholars service contracts.
These Express routes could have better branding (possible re-birth of West Durham Swift or a Fresh brand) and may benefit from Limited Stop Service, where other GNE services feed into hubs like Stanley, Consett,(Venture) Gateshead & Newcastle (Many) for connections.

Would a Limited Stop Express service be popular shadowing the 8/78 Consett - Sunderland route. - In the late 60's to 80's this service was designated X6 and often operated as I remember during the 70's using equipment with coach style seating (these were also used for Northern's Excursion & long distance journeys to, for example... Scarborough, Blackpool etc.. ) [Image: 22517f.jpg]
Limited Stops on X6 were Consett, Leadgate, Annfield Plain, Stanley, Chester le Street, Shiney Row & then direct to Sunderland. This was popular for passengers travelling the major part of the journey.

Thoughts!
(23 Mar 2015, 12:10 pm)Dan wrote Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 561 (NK53 TLF) was returned to Deptford this morning, after having additionally been re-trimmed. Hexham's former "Tynedale Links" branded 557 (NK53 TKV) arrived at Saltmeadows this morning in its place for the same treatment.

Stanley's former "Red Kite" branded Scania CN230UB/Scania Omnicity 5234 (NK56 KHB) is, as we speak, in the process of being prepared for its repaint, ahead of new vehicles arriving for the "Red Kite" services in the coming weeks and its consequent cascade to another service.

There have been no new arrivals today.

What colour will 5324 go, Purple for the Toonlink?

Like the rest of them when there done.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Mar 2015, 1:33 pm)Venturego wrote Where will Stanley's Scania Omnicities be used once new vehicles arrive for Red Kite?  I have seen some GNE corporate branded examples recently operating the X70/1 & X30/1 (former West Durham Swift routes) for which these were original eqpt. before Stanley's Double Deckers being utilised between scholars service contracts.
These Express routes could have better branding (possible re-birth of West Durham Swift or a Fresh brand) and may benefit from Limited Stop Service, where other GNE services feed into hubs like Stanley, Consett,(Venture) Gateshead & Newcastle (Many) for connections.

Would a Limited Stop Express service be popular shadowing the 8/78 Consett - Sunderland route. - In the late 60's to 80's this service was designated X6 and often operated as I remember during the 70's using equipment with coach style seating (these were also used for Northern's Excursion & long distance journeys to, for example... Scarborough, Blackpool etc.. )
Limited Stops on X6 were Consett, Leadgate, Annfield Plain, Stanley, Chester le Street, Shiney Row & then direct to Sunderland. This was popular for passengers travelling the major part of the journey.

Thoughts!

Was mentioned the Red Kite omni's were going on to Toonlink 11/31/32 with the 47 using something else.. probs the Wright Eclipses.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(23 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm)Michael wrote What colour will 5324 go, Purple for the Toonlink?

Like the rest of them when there done.

Watch this space!