You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Bus Restoration
Think this is the most appropriate place for this news. Jonathan Ruddick's Leyland National Mk2 4708 (FTN 708W) was collected today from being professionally repainted into the red/blue/yellow livery it wore towards the end of it's career with Go North East. 

It will look very smart alongside 4855 and 3833. Attached photograph is courtesy of Jonathan Ruddick.
.jpg 4708.jpg
(10 Jan 2016, 6:03 pm)S813 FVK wrote Wow. That looks absolutely fantastic.

Will look even better with it's vinyls applied. Looked quite bare when it was stripped of it's Tyne & Wear PTE logos, but it will be even smarter when it's got the vinyls applied to the red/blue/yellow colours. Can't wait to see it with 4855 and 3833. All in the same base livery, but a different name for each of them...
(10 Jan 2016, 6:13 pm)R852 PRG wrote Will look even better with it's vinyls applied. Looked quite bare when it was stripped of it's Tyne & Wear PTE logos, but it will be even smarter when it's got the vinyls applied to the red/blue/yellow colours. Can't wait to see it with 4855 and 3833. All in the same base livery, but a different name for each of them...

I agree hopefully a MPD is preserved and put in Simply Washington or Metrolink:M2/3.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(10 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm)R852 PRG wrote Think this is the most appropriate place for this news. Jonathan Ruddick's Leyland National Mk2 4708 (FTN 708W) was collected today from being professionally repainted into the red/blue/yellow livery it wore towards the end of it's career with Go North East. 

It will look very smart alongside 4855 and 3833. Attached photograph is courtesy of Jonathan Ruddick.
That looks great so far.
(10 Jan 2016, 6:18 pm)DanPicken wrote I agree hopefully a MPD is preserved and put in Simply Washington or Metrolink:M2/3.
I hope either 542 or 563 gets preserved.
(10 Jan 2016, 6:13 pm)R852 PRG wrote Will look even better with it's vinyls applied. Looked quite bare when it was stripped of it's Tyne & Wear PTE logos, but it will be even smarter when it's got the vinyls applied to the red/blue/yellow colours. Can't wait to see it with 4855 and 3833. All in the same base livery, but a different name for each of them...

Yeah. One thing that i think does need changing is the destination from a white roller to a green one.
(10 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm)Davie wrote That looks great so far.
I hope either 542 or 563 gets preserved.

Or one of our Plaxton ones if any are still in service and put it in Pink Panther.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(10 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm)R852 PRG wrote Think this is the most appropriate place for this news. Jonathan Ruddick's Leyland National Mk2 4708 (FTN 708W) was collected today from being professionally repainted into the red/blue/yellow livery it wore towards the end of it's career with Go North East. 

Whilst not taking anything away from the hard work that has gone in, I am not keen on seeing it in that colour scheme.

Maybe it is because it is the last livery they wore and at the time the Nationals were rather worn. Whereas the older colour schemes, reflect the vehicles in their prime.

Maybe it is because the livery isn't that old.

Can't put my finger on it.

Either way, as I said initially - a lot of hard work has gone in and those involved, deserve a lot of praise for the time, effort and money they have put in to the restoration scheme.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Bus restoration.... How long have you got.

First. I am very happy to see 4708 out in its final restored livery. This is the livery that Jonothan Ruddick wanted her preserved in 9 years ago when he started the task of restoring 4708. The journey for him hasn't been easy in fact FTN 708W was very nearly scrapped due to the amount of work needed.
Thankfully this didn't happen and we have today I would say the North Easts premier National 2 out and about.
This year we will have 2 restored National 2,s out for the start of the season. FTN 710W will again be at the Metrocenter. Hopefully something else will be there in the same basic livery as 4708. R855 PRG will hopefully be ready to entertain the crowds..
Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
(04 Feb 2016, 6:56 pm)R852 PRG wrote Jonothan Ruddicks' 4708 (FTN 708W) is complete. 

Attached photograph is courtesy of Jonothan Ruddick. I imagine some photos will appear on his Flickr soon.
That looks mint that!
FTN 708W look great, masses of respect to Jonothan Ruddick. This livery captures an interesting time in my opinion. I think it represents the time the big companies of PTE or NBC roots realised they had to change their approach to the deregulated market, creating these eye-catching liveries to freshen up the tired image of the bus industry and entice new customers when faced with increasing car ownership.
Saw 4708 for the first time in I don't know how many years ago today.
The first time since its restoration anyway.
It was parked up at Chester depot and blinded for the X6 - Sunderland.
I stand by what I have said already about it and the livery - but it did look impressive.
It is clear a lot of hard work has gone in to it.

Eldest Constantopolous was with me when we saw it and decided that Chester must have been short of vehicles!
(16 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm)Andreos1 wrote Saw 4708 for the first time in I don't know how many years ago today.
The first time since its restoration anyway.
It was parked up at Chester depot and blinded for the X6 - Sunderland.
I stand by what I have said already about it and the livery - but it did look impressive.
It is clear a lot of hard work has gone in to it.

Eldest Constantopolous was with me when we saw it and decided that Chester must have been short of vehicles!

Smart, isn't it? I saw it for the first time since repaint today, and the photos really don't do the livery justice. It's an extremely smart looking National, and a credit to the owner.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(16 Apr 2016, 9:41 pm)Adrian wrote Smart, isn't it? I saw it for the first time since repaint today, and the photos really don't do the livery justice. It's an extremely smart looking National, and a credit to the owner.

It is probably in better nick now, than it was when it was in that livery originally!
In the North East we have 2 groups who have preserved and restored ex Northern and United busses. The County Durham Bus Preservation Group (4708,3501,3406,3522,3435,6080,3656,2105,4598 and more) Northern National Restoration Group (4681,4710,4855) These groups work together to ensure the survival of the buses under there care.

In the off season we work on these buses to get them looking as good as we can and spend thousands doing so.

Its always nice when people take the time to come over and look at your pride and joy.

At Durham I gave people the opportunity to travel to Durham and back on R855PRG. fair comment it can be said that people can still travel on the B10BLE,s in service.. For now...

It did please me that we had a near full load showing that people wanted to experience a ride on the only Northern B10BLE saved so far. Unfortunately FTN 710W did not have many visitors. Chances are that people did not want to walk right down the bottom of the car park!

Next event for 4710 is Bishop Auckland station Event on July the 23rd. Then NELSAM on August the 7th. This event will have at least 4 buses from both groups. Seaburn on August Bank Holiday Monday will be the last time 4710 and 4855 will be out together.
Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Saw a Western SMT single decker on wedding guest private hire duties yesterday. I didnt get in front of it, to identify more of the vehicle, but it was blinded up for Central Station. The livery looked like a 50's/60's one - solely based on the fonts used.
Any ideas?
Had a flick online and struggling.