You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016

Poll: Are you attending?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes 4 (26.67%)
No 2 (13.33%)
Maybe 9 (60.00%)
* You voted for this item. Total: 15 vote(s) (100%)
Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016
Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016

[Image: 19256507230_c6a36ca74c.jpg]

Date: Sunday 17th July 2016
Time: TBC
Venue: The Links - Whitley Bay

NEBPT's event page can be found here

The event will take place on The Links opposite Bournemouth Gardens car park. It features static exhibits, trade stands and a free bus service around the local area and to the Stephenson Railway Museum.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
RE: Whitley Bay Bus Rally
(19 Jun 2016, 11:08 am)dannygee wrote So on Sunday 17th July it is Whitley Bays bus rally. Who will be attending?

We'll try to get over. it's a bit of a trek with Sunday buses.
RE: Whitley Bay Bus Rally 2016
(19 Jun 2016, 1:58 pm)TEN 6083 wrote Which buses stop there from Newcastle, first time attending this rally?

A few of the Blyth 30- ones do, but I don't know how t

they run on a Sunday.

Edited to point out that my phone is being a pain in the butt. most of my reply landed in the quote box.
Go north east 309 every 30 mins from newcastle haymarket. Takes around 40 mins
Go north east 1 every 20mins from market street. Takes just over 1 hour as goes the long way.
Arrivas 308 also stops.
(11 Jul 2016, 5:06 pm)dannygee wrote So is Go North East attending? What are the predictions for buses they will bring

I wouldn't expect more than 1 or 2, if at all? It's not a big rally, and there wasn't enough space for all the preserved buses that attended last year.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(11 Jul 2016, 5:12 pm)Adrian wrote I wouldn't expect more than 1 or 2, if at all? It's not a big rally, and there wasn't enough space for all the preserved buses that attended last year.
This is why I'm questioning whether to go to this or not, especially with the distance I have to cover to attend the rally. Besides I'll have a ton of photos to upload to Flickr by this weekend. We'll see how I feel by the weekend.
(11 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I might go up too as I have nothing this Weekend, Though I was quite disappointed at last years. I was only a stranger to the enthusiasts then, And have had a bit of a growth spert since then too haha.

Yeah it was crap last year it was better when it was on the car park opposite as there was a lot more room there,  strange decision to move it over to the field I think.
(11 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I might go up too as I have nothing this Weekend, Though I was quite disappointed at last years. I was only a stranger to the enthusiasts then, And have had a bit of a growth spert since then too haha.

I'm probably more inclined to go if there is people I know to stalk, so if the buses aren't up to much, this is at least another way to spend my time there.
I'm going to the rally and combine it with a trip Tynemouth Market.

I'm also going to check out some minor independent operators and non-psv minibus operators on North Tyneside.

Charles
I really don't know whether to bother with this rally or not, if I am totally honest. If the weather is good, I may well be tempted to have a day out along the coast, but if not, I won't.

I shadow the comments by many above that this rally is generally average, if not poor due to the lack of space provided. I think that the NEBPT do an excellent job putting on the rallies, however, they are starting to become extremely repetitive which is why I think myself and others are now failing to turn up.

In my opinion, the turnout at rallies in recent years has fell dramatically, and the same vehicles turn up each year. MetroCentre in my opinion was very poor, and that is the reason I did not attend Durham Rally.

As I think Adrian has suggested in the past, new blood is needed at these rallies and maybe some sort of change is needed, which will entice more people to head along and engage in the events.

I don't want to sound cheeky here, but the majority of people I see who run the rallies are of a older generation, and maybe they don't see that a change is needed, or indeed want that change. I have tried a few times to engage with these people, and give them a few decisions but I find them awfully snappy and quite miserable, which is a shame really.
Not attending as it's not in the selection of 3 North East rallies that I do want to attend this year (Teesside Running Day, Metrocentre and Seaburn). Instead I'm off down to the Nottingham Area Bus Society running day at Ruddington for the first time and hopefully get a run out on Nottingham 666 (ARC666T).
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
The NNRG are not attending this event. Next outing for us is the Bishop Auckland Station Event on July the 23rd.
Craig Smith. NNRG Operations Engineer. NNRG. Bus Preservationists of the North East.
Info for tomorrow's event: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=579

Shuttle service 1 should be every 20 minutes running via Tynemouth. There will also be a service 2 running to Stephenson Railway Museum which will run four journeys over the course of the day which coincide with the train times at the museum and will be ran using modern buses from Go North East (don't forget the bus sits for 50 minutes between trips, don't want anyone making that mistake again do we? Tongue ).
(16 Jul 2016, 9:37 pm)Jimmi wrote Info for tomorrow's event: http://www.nebpt.co.uk/index.asp?pg=3&event=579

Shuttle service 1 should be every 20 minutes running via Tynemouth. There will also be a service 2 running to Stephenson Railway Museum which will run four journeys over the course of the day which coincide with the train times at the museum and will be ran using modern buses from Go North East (don't forget the bus sits for 50 minutes between trips, don't want anyone making that mistake again do we? Tongue ).

Haha yeah I made that mistake last time!

Probably won't bother going tomorrow like
(16 Jul 2016, 9:41 pm)Tom wrote Haha yeah I made that mistake last time!

Probably won't bother going tomorrow like

Yeah I remember members posting that it happened to them.

As the weather is supposed to be reasonable tomorrow, I'm going to head up to this. Will arrive at either 11:49 on the 308 or 11:57 on the 309, think the 11:07 308 from Newcastle is a 306 branded StreetLite (or at least it was last year) so we'll see if I decide to bare it or not tomorrow  Tongue
(16 Jul 2016, 9:46 pm)Jimmi wrote Yeah I remember members posting that it happened to them.

As the weather is supposed to be reasonable tomorrow, I'm going to head up to this. Will arrive at either 11:49 on the 308 or 11:57 on the 309, think the 11:07 308 from Newcastle is a 306 branded StreetLite (or at least it was last year) so we'll see if I decide to bare it or not tomorrow  Tongue

Hopefully it'll be better than last years as it was terrible. I'm just bored of rallies that's why I'm not going
(16 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm)Tom wrote Hopefully it'll be better than last years as it was terrible. I'm just bored of rallies that's why I'm not going

Yeah, shall see how it is tomorrow. I'm going more for the day out for anything, hopefully I won't end up taking ill like I did last year. How long I'm in attendance will vary on what is out on shuttles and I may stick around for longer if there is anyone around to chat to.

Unsure when my photos from the rally will appear on my Flickr as I'm busy uploading stuff from my holiday, currently have some photos of Blackpool Transport's new Enviro 400 City SN16OVA and some photos in Winder, more photos from Blackpool, Preston and the Lakes will be uploaded over the course of the next week.
(17 Jul 2016, 4:04 am)GMitchelhill wrote Meanwhile it looks like it's going to be a very sunny day down in Nottingham. Tongue

It can stay down there for me.