You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Return of Old Routes/Numbers

RE: Return of Old Routes/Numbers
I might be wrong but I think this was the time when all of Arriva's services did a big flip. Before the change, the 22 did its current route from Durham to Wheatley Hill then headed on to hartlepool via Wingate. Meantime, the route of the current 22 between Thornley and Sunderland was covered by the 21 from darlo. For a short period, we also had the 21a that went to boro. When the changes happened, we lost the 21s and got one of the 57s, instead and the 22 started serving Peterlee, instead of the 21, but still carried on to hartlepool. I don't think the changes were well received, at the time, as some long established links were lost. As it didn't go into nexus territory, the buses on the 22 were absolute sheds, at the time, and frequently didn't show up, otherwise having some pretty bad punctuality issues. It only ran once an hour and, after throwing over £15 at a taxi to get home from a hospital appointment in time to get the boys home from school, when one didn't show, I just didn't bother with it.
Return of Old Routes/Numbers
(17 Oct 2020, 3:53 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I might be wrong but I think this was the time when all of Arriva's services did a big flip. Before the change, the 22 did its current route from Durham to Wheatley Hill then headed on to hartlepool via Wingate. Meantime, the route of the current 22 between Thornley and Sunderland was covered by the 21 from darlo. For a short period, we also had the 21a that went to boro. When the changes happened, we lost the 21s and got one of the 57s, instead and the 22 started serving Peterlee, instead of the 21, but still carried on to hartlepool. I don't think the changes were well received, at the time, as some long established links were lost. As it didn't go into nexus territory, the buses on the 22 were absolute sheds, at the time, and frequently didn't show up, otherwise having some pretty bad punctuality issues. It only ran once an hour and, after throwing over £15 at a taxi to get home from a hospital appointment in time to get the boys home from school, when one didn't show, I just didn't bother with it.

The 21A was diverted through Wingate at the Same time the 57 was extended from Kelloe to Peterlee via DCC funding to replace the 21A. The 22 to Hartlepool remained in place via Wingate until the last major changes occurred when Wingate got the (21/21A) now X21/X22 Wheatley Hill/Thornley got a 30mins 22 service from Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee losing all links to the Trimdons Sunderland etc however a later revision did swap the Hartlepool section for Sunderland.
(17 Oct 2020, 8:39 pm)2bagstew wrote The 21A was diverted through Wingate at the Same time the 57 was extended from Kelloe to Peterlee via DCC funding to replace the 21A. The 22 to Hartlepool remained in place via Wingate until the last major changes occurred when Wingate got the (21/21A) now X21/X22 Wheatley Hill/Thornley got a 30mins 22 service from Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee losing all links to the Trimdons Sunderland etc however a later revision did swap the Hartlepool section for Sunderland.
At the time did it affect customer satisfaction or passenger numbers, All i know is that the X21 was cut from sunderland fairly recently.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(11 Mar 2022, 7:06 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Thinking of doing a suggestion to bring back the Stagecoach Newcastle X80 & X81 with a slight twist.

What was the reason they got withdrawn in the first place?
Does anyone have a decent branding suggestion for a service like this?

What would be the point?

They weren't withdrawn, so to speak, but merged into the 10 and 39 through extensions to West Denton Park/Dumpling Hall. 

The X82 is barely an express service nowadays, and it doesn't save a significant amount of time on the West Road for Stagecoach to reintroduce (or for another operator to introduce) limited stop services to either destination. 

Of course, it depends what sort of twist you had in mind. The twist might be, for example, an extension from West Denton Park to Carlisle via Hospital Lane, Throckley, some narrow streets in Corbridge, a couple of back alleys in Hexham and Haltwhistle, and sparsely populated narrow country roads between Halty and Carlisle with connections to the train at Armathwaite station. 

However, I think your time would be better spent doing something more productive or worthwhile.
(11 Mar 2022, 7:42 pm)MurdnunoC wrote What would be the point?

They weren't withdrawn, so to speak, but merged into the 10 and 39 through extensions to West Denton Park/Dumpling Hall. 

The X82 is barely an express service nowadays, and it doesn't save a significant amount of time on the West Road for Stagecoach to reintroduce (or for another operator to introduce) limited stop services to either destination. 

Of course, it depends what sort of twist you had in mind. The twist might be, for example, an extension from West Denton Park to Carlisle via Hospital Lane, Throckley, some narrow streets in Corbridge, a couple of back alleys in Hexham and Haltwhistle, and sparsely populated narrow country roads between Halty and Carlisle with connections to the train at Armathwaite station. 

However, I think your time would be better spent doing something more productive or worthwhile.
I'm probably going to try a few stagecoach-esque rival competitor ideas.
I want to do a service between Chapel House and Byker or Walker first.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(11 Mar 2022, 8:32 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote I'm probably going to try a few stagecoach-esque rival competitor ideas.
I want to do a service between Chapel House and Byker or Walker first.

Why?

As discussed in numerous other threads, bus operators are being coerced into collaborating with one another in order to secure funding for routes through various avenues. The days of competition are over. So where is the logic in wasting your time in designing routes and timetables which are going to more or less mirror services already in existence?
(11 Mar 2022, 8:39 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Why?

As discussed in numerous other threads, bus operators are being coerced into collaborating with one another in order to secure funding for routes through various avenues. The days of competition are over. So where is the logic in wasting your time in designing routes and timetables which are going to more or less mirror services already in existence?

Because ASX_Terranova enjoys doing them and sharing them. You or anybody else doesn't necessarily have to look at them. So why not? If its on topic (unlike this post) and doesn't hurt anyone then there isn't a problem.
(13 Mar 2022, 8:55 am)tcts24 wrote Because ASX_Terranova enjoys doing them and sharing them. You or anybody else doesn't necessarily have to look at them. So why not? If its on topic (unlike this post) and doesn't hurt anyone then there isn't a problem.

Hasn't he already started a thread for fictional service ideas though? 

Granted, he is the one who started this thread and people, including myself, have replied with routes which they'd like to see brought back with reasons ranging from nostalgic to humorous. Nowhere in his opening post did he state that this thread would become a vanity project for him to showcase his timetabling prowess (or lack thereof).

As anything he creates is pure fiction, shouldn't all his suggestions for a fictional network overhaul with fictious bus operators belong in a thread designed for that purpose?
I think we just need to try and keep stuff to the most appropriate place on the forum. Moderators will try and move/merge threads and posts where appropriate, but it's impossible for us to spot everything.

ASX_Terranova enjoys doing and sharing some of the more fictional ideas, but it'd be helpful to keep them in the Fictional Service Ideas thread. 
For more general (and realistic) tweaks/suggestions to existing networks, then there's the suggestions threads for each of the big three operators.

Thanks!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook