You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Reliability of Ashington's solos.

I've recently noticed that Ashington's solos have been incredibly unreliable and constantly braking down (2853 seems to be the worse of the lot for it). Ashington should send them back where they cane from and get the E200s back or some pulsars in return as Darlington clearly knew that those solos were a problem and took the first opportunity to dump them off on another depot.
RE: Reliability of Ashington's solos.
(15 Mar 2023, 8:34 pm)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote I've recently noticed that Ashington's solos have been incredibly unreliable and constantly braking down (2853 seems to be the worse of the lot for it). Ashington should send them back where they cane from and get the E200s back or some pulsars in return as Darlington clearly knew that those solos were a problem and took the first opportunity to dump them off on another depot.

They're a pile of crap basically. Usually when buses get older you give them an easier run but some bright cog thought that why not put buses that spent their life on town routes on a long distance route. 

2856 is the worst though, it's constantly off the road. 

They need replaced asap. Mind the Pulsars don't deserve a medal either as 1461 broke down the other week aswell.
(15 Mar 2023, 8:53 pm)Storx wrote They're a pile of crap basically. Usually when buses get older you give them an easier run but some bright cog thought that why not put buses that spent their life on town routes on a long distance route. 

2856 is the worst though, it's constantly off the road. 

They need replaced asap. Mind the Pulsars don't deserve a medal either as 1461 broke down the other week aswell.

Well the pulsars are a lot more reliable than the solos. They dont deserve a medal as such but atleast their bettter. The 57 has also had some odd allocations and I put this down to the solos being crap. Pulsars and the 72 plate E400's have been spotted by me.
It's a shame the 57/57A got brand new buses and took them off & gave them to Darlington. Stupid idea in the end. I remember riding them. A lot of people kept saying they were a lot nicer than the other buses
(16 Mar 2023, 7:39 am)NEbushopper wrote Well the pulsars are a lot more reliable than the solos. They dont deserve a medal as such but atleast their bettter. The 57 has also had some odd allocations and I put this down to the solos being crap. Pulsars and the 72 plate E400's have been spotted by me.

Yeah it is because of the Solo's. There's 3 off the road lately (again) so they need 2 other buses on. I live on the route, there's daily full size buses on pretty much.

Arriva Northumbria badly need 11 new mini(midi)buses.

3x 55, 4x 57/57A, 2x 553, 2 spares and get shot of the whole lot of Solo's plus up the 55 back upto what it was since it was supposed to be temporary especially since Walkergate has ran out of buses the 44 has a Solo on today and there's a missing board on the 55 altogether (Streetlite appears to have broke down).
(16 Mar 2023, 8:13 am)Storx wrote Yeah it is because of the Solo's. There's 3 off the road lately (again) so they need 2 other buses on. I live on the route, there's daily full size buses on pretty much.

Arriva Northumbria badly need 11 new mini(midi)buses.

3x 55, 4x 57/57A, 2x 553, 2 spares and get shot of the whole lot of Solo's plus up the 55 back upto what it was since it was supposed to be temporary especially since Walkergate has ran out of buses the 44 has a Solo on today and there's a missing board on the 55 altogether (Streetlite appears to have broke down).

Think they should never have sent those MMCs to Darlington and told that complaining MP to focus on their job and arriva focus on running a bus service rather than Bowing down to them and getting shot of perfectly adequate new buses from Northumbria

Today's the 57s are made up of 2 solos and 2 pulsars. Yesterday was 2 solos an enviro and a pulsar on, the enviro, 7532 for those wondering, replaced the notoriously unreliable 2853 which expired just shy of 20 minutes into the first 57 of the day at hartford bridge.
(16 Mar 2023, 8:29 am)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote Think they should never have sent those MMCs to Darlington and told that complaining MP to focus on their job and arriva focus on running a bus service rather than Bowing down to them and getting shot of perfectly adequate new buses from Northumbria

Today's the 57s are made up of 2 solos and 2 pulsars. Yesterday was 2 solos an enviro and a pulsar on, the enviro, 7532 for those wondering, replaced the notoriously unreliable 2853 which expired just shy of 20 minutes into the first 57 of the day at hartford bridge.

Honestly can't disagree really but they were sent down because of issues in Newcastle with grounding so kind of had to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2859 - 2861 turn up soon and Ashington have stupid number of minibuses again to run a PVR 4. They should be withdrawn with the Durham 57/57A/49/49A changes on paper.
(16 Mar 2023, 8:29 am)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote Think they should never have sent those MMCs to Darlington and told that complaining MP to focus on their job and arriva focus on running a bus service rather than Bowing down to them and getting shot of perfectly adequate new buses from Northumbria

That's kinda a matter for an MP to raise as part of their job tbh, but anyway... part of the problem was we also had unreliable Solo's (mainly the 08/58 plate examples) at Darlington which were causing issues to the services here (on top of the driver shortages leading to cancellations).

In an ideal world, Ashington should've kept their examples for the 57/57A at the very least with the remaining examples going to Darlington owing to no longer really being required on other mini/midi routes owing to service withdrawals and changes to allocation/interworking patterns but naturally with political pressure around Darlington and stuff like type standardisation, it was inevitable what was gonna happen.
(16 Mar 2023, 5:42 pm)L469 YVK wrote For simplicity at Ashington, would StreetLites or E200MMCs for the 1, 2, 57, 57A not be a better option?

Not sure E200MMC's would be a wise idea as it would limit routes since whatever route had issues at Jesmond will be going there at some point, assuming that's where Walkergate is moving to eventually.

If you were going do that probably be easier to upgrade something down South like the 62, 63 (Redcar ones), X66/X67, 7, 8 (Stockton) and move Pulsar's up to Ashington instead tbh.
(16 Mar 2023, 6:41 pm)Storx wrote Not sure E200MMC's would be a wise idea as it would limit routes since whatever route had issues at Jesmond will be going there at some point, assuming that's where Walkergate is moving to eventually.

Not sure I've ever read where exactly the issues with Arriva's E200MMCs were taking place?  Is it a location that the, presumably similar, E200MMCs of Go North East and Stagecoach don't visit?  Or other operators?
(16 Mar 2023, 10:43 am)Storx wrote Honestly can't disagree really but they were sent down because of issues in Newcastle with grounding so kind of had to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2859 - 2861 turn up soon and Ashington have stupid number of minibuses again to run a PVR 4. They should be withdrawn with the Durham 57/57A/49/49A changes on paper.
Never knew the MMCs had issues in Newcastle, what kind of issues did they have?
(17 Mar 2023, 8:43 am)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote Never knew the MMCs had issues in Newcastle, what kind of issues did they have?
Grounding out
Kind Regards
Tez
(17 Mar 2023, 7:55 am)Ianthegoon wrote Not sure I've ever read where exactly the issues with Arriva's E200MMCs were taking place?  Is it a location that the, presumably similar, E200MMCs of Go North East and Stagecoach don't visit?  Or other operators?

Not sure but it was one of the Arriva Jesmond minibus routes that was the problem so assuming it was on the 55 somewhere, not sure where though mind.

(17 Mar 2023, 4:13 pm)BusLoverMum wrote ???

It's where the body whacks the road basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js06omVwCUU - There's one doing it there in Sutton In Ashfield.

I know there was problems with them in Aberdeen aswell, seems the frontend overhang is quite long - much longer than a Dart from looking at them.
(17 Mar 2023, 8:12 pm)Storx wrote Not sure but it was one of the Arriva Jesmond minibus routes that was the problem so assuming it was on the 55 somewhere, not sure where though mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js06omVwCUU - There's one doing it there in Sutton In Ashfield.

I know there was problems with them in Aberdeen aswell, seems the frontend overhang is quite long - much longer than a Dart from looking at them.
Never actually knew the body was so low on them ?? and I thought the front of the DB300s scraping off higher curbs at bus stops was bad ??
(17 Mar 2023, 8:12 pm)Storx wrote Not sure but it was one of the Arriva Jesmond minibus routes that was the problem so assuming it was on the 55 somewhere, not sure where though mind.

Looking at the gradient that happened on, how is that ever not going to be a problem anywhere in the NE? I'm amazed they even get out of Durham without incident on the 7, if it's that bad.

Speaking of buses grounding out, I was on the X15 to Alnwick the other week and overhead a driver mentoring a new recruit say to them that the 72 plate batch of E400MMCs (this is what we had on this journey) seem more prone to grounding when turning off Tower Lane onto Clayport Street in Alnwick than the previous batch, a horrible noise followed which was sure enough grounding occurring. *this didn't occur on another journey that day however, so may also be a case of how you turn out of that junction*

Do worry that there could be grounding issues with the E200MMCs if Darlington are planning on allocating them to the DalesBus 831 this summer.
(18 Mar 2023, 12:05 am)Jimmi wrote Speaking of buses grounding out, I was on the X15 to Alnwick the other week and overhead a driver mentoring a new recruit say to them that the 72 plate batch of E400MMCs (this is what we had on this journey) seem more prone to grounding when turning off Tower Lane onto Clayport Street in Alnwick than the previous batch, a horrible noise followed which was sure enough grounding occurring. *this didn't occur on another journey that day however, so may also be a case of how you turn out of that junction*
I wonder if GNE had any issues with 6338-55? 

Unless there's no grounding 'hotspots' on the Derwentside - Newcastle routes or X10. Only routes I think could be tight are the X71 from Medomsley to Burnopfield and X72 through Tantobie and Sleepy Village. And maybe some tight areas around Shotley Bridge on the X45.

Could be a few places on the 55, end of Feetham Avenue, the corner where Ashleigh Grove and Goathland meet
Kind Regards
Tez
(18 Mar 2023, 12:05 am)Jimmi wrote Speaking of buses grounding out, I was on the X15 to Alnwick the other week and overhead a driver mentoring a new recruit say to them that the 72 plate batch of E400MMCs (this is what we had on this journey) seem more prone to grounding when turning off Tower Lane onto Clayport Street in Alnwick than the previous batch, a horrible noise followed which was sure enough grounding occurring. *this didn't occur on another journey that day however, so may also be a case of how you turn out of that junction*

It's very much dependent on how you take the corner. A driver I know explained it to me as if you don't immediately turn from the junction (i.e if you go straight forward even slightly before beginning the turn) then you'll scrape the bottom of the front.
(21 Mar 2023, 9:06 pm)ahorsmanthebus wrote 3 solos (2853/2854 and 2855) all off today. Not good at all.

It seems Ashington were that short they brought 2830 out from the dead this morning [Image: 6684304408251080]

2854 was out - it's tracking as 7528.
(21 Mar 2023, 9:06 pm)ahorsmanthebus wrote 3 solos (2853/2854 and 2855) all off today. Not good at all.

It seems Ashington were that short they brought 2830 out from the dead this morning [Image: 6684304408251080]

Interesting since that's never been up here as far as I'm aware so must've found it at the back of Darlington depot. The ex Ashington ones are all at Alpha. Was wondering what the spare tracking was.
When I visited Jesmond depot the day after it closed last October, 2830 was one of nine Solos stored inside. Wonder if they have been there all this time, as a sort of reserve fleet ?
2830 was, I believe, intended as refurb cover. It arrived at Ashington around the time that the first 2 64 plate E400s went away for refurb.

Regarding 2855 being off, I doubt that'll see action again.
(22 Mar 2023, 10:27 pm)mb134 wrote 2830 was, I believe, intended as refurb cover. It arrived at Ashington around the time that the first 2 64 plate E400s went away for refurb.

I seen it when it was last out and that sounded rough. Last out on the 5th March
2855 now supposedly withdrawn from what I’ve been told by a driver. It requires a new engine and the depot want rid of it.

2830 also getting withdrawn this weekend again with an unknown replacement coming up to Ashington.

(22 Mar 2023, 10:27 pm)mb134 wrote 2830 was, I believe, intended as refurb cover. It arrived at Ashington around the time that the first 2 64 plate E400s went away for refurb.

Check my previous post about 2855, depot want rid of it from what I’ve been told as it requires a new engine and the depot just want it rid of
(24 Mar 2023, 9:27 pm)ahorsmanthebus wrote 2855 now supposedly withdrawn from what I’ve been told by a driver. It requires a new engine and the depot want rid of it.

2830 also getting withdrawn this weekend again with an unknown replacement coming up to Ashington.

Check my previous post about 2855, depot want rid of it from what I’ve been told as it requires a new engine and the depot just want it rid of
Could it not be 2837 replacing 2855 with the 555 being binned would make sense as 4 solos for a requirement of 2 is abit much