Menu

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4   
Mark1   18 Aug 2023, 7:34 am
A story on the BBC of a GNE 21 driver quitting and leaving passengers on board near the Angel. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66535732
Unber43   18 Aug 2023, 8:24 am
It was 6324 I think on the 21:00 from Durham, it was 10 mins late by the time it got to the Angel Of The North and it was still tracking at 22:20
Adrian   18 Aug 2023, 8:51 am
"It vowed to "ensure the issue is investigated and dealt with according to our internal procedures"."

A really poor statement, and one that makes no confirmation that the driver is OK. It's of course not a rational thing to do, but it could be as the result of trauma or something else that has mentally tipped them over the edge. 

Sounds like the disciplinary handbook is instead out, rather than understanding the events what led up to the incident, but maybe the internal culture plays a big part...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Ambassador   18 Aug 2023, 9:27 am
(18 Aug 2023, 8:51 am)Adrian wrote "It vowed to "ensure the issue is investigated and dealt with according to our internal procedures"."

A really poor statement, and one that makes no confirmation that the driver is OK. It's of course not a rational thing to do, but it could be as the result of trauma or something else that has mentally tipped them over the edge. 

Sounds like the disciplinary handbook is instead out, rather than understanding the events what led up to the incident, but maybe the internal culture plays a big part...

HR hat on, that was my thought. 

Indicment of the poor practices and management we hear about from the Union and the odd driver on here - balanced alongside those recruitment challenges.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   18 Aug 2023, 9:53 am
Tbf, if I was going to quit, I'd probably do something like that.

Might as well go out in style
Unber43   18 Aug 2023, 10:07 am
Wonder if something may have happened in the drivers life and the company wouldn't let him finish early
streetdeckfan   18 Aug 2023, 10:15 am
(18 Aug 2023, 10:07 am)Unber43 wrote Wonder if something may have happened in the drivers life and the company wouldn't let him finish early

Do we know they actually quit, how long the passengers were 'trapped' on the bus, or whether the driver came back?

Plenty of times I've been on the bus and the driver has pulled over somewhere to go to the toilet.
Chris 1   18 Aug 2023, 10:16 am
(18 Aug 2023, 8:51 am)Adrian wrote "It vowed to "ensure the issue is investigated and dealt with according to our internal procedures"."

Not sure it got as far as the disciplinary stage...

In all seriousness though, fully agree with your sentiment though.  Hope the driver is ok.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   18 Aug 2023, 10:24 am
(18 Aug 2023, 10:15 am)streetdeckfan wrote Do we know they actually quit, how long the passengers were 'trapped' on the bus, or whether the driver came back?

Plenty of times I've been on the bus and the driver has pulled over somewhere to go to the toilet.
Also on the strettdeck isn't the open door button literally just above the doors, it cannot be that hard for some passengers to see. 

i remember I was on the 78 when it went to Castleside (was going to get off just after the bus station) this was when Consett had really bad shortages and the driver who was changing turned the lights off and just got off with several people still on board and it was freezing 6336 had no heating it was like being in a freezer, we waiting about 15 mins for a new driver.
V514DFT   18 Aug 2023, 10:51 am

This is what annoys me, people are just in it for the gossip, as someone who suffers with mental health problems, i know how dark it gets, and that most of the time someone who suffers with it either bottles it up and/or ignores it, but it always comes to a head in the end, i genuinely hope the driver is okay and gets some help, its a killer if left untreated

Kind Regards
Tez
streetdeckfan   18 Aug 2023, 11:16 am
(18 Aug 2023, 10:24 am)Unber43 wrote Also on the strettdeck isn't the open door button literally just above the doors, it cannot be that hard for some passengers to see. 

i remember I was on the 78 when it went to Castleside (was going to get off just after the bus station) this was when Consett had really bad shortages and the driver who was changing turned the lights off and just got off with several people still on board and it was freezing 6336 had no heating it was like being in a freezer, we waiting about 15 mins for a new driver.

I had that happen a few times back when the X21 had changes at CLS, driver would just get off and walk away.

I remember one time I was waiting for (i think) the 27 at Gateshead and the driver just got off and left, the next driver just didn't turn up!
Wybus   18 Aug 2023, 12:16 pm

You are reading too much into it

It’s just a general quote to give to the press whenever there is an incident involving a driver

If a driver crashed his bus deliberately and then punched all the passengers, it’d be the same quote, as HR matters are never something that should be done via the papers
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   18 Aug 2023, 1:28 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 12:16 pm)Wybus wrote You are reading too much into it

It’s just a general quote to give to the press whenever there is an incident involving a driver

If a driver crashed his bus deliberately and then punched all the passengers, it’d be the same quote, as HR matters are never something that should be done via the papers

Isn't that the issue? Pretty sure we've seen the same statement issued when the driver started threatening passengers at Park Lane. 

A copy and paste livery might do the job (and that's questionable), but does a copy and paste statement?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Ambassador   18 Aug 2023, 4:31 pm
Their PR is utterly shambolic, I’d be interested to know who does it.

They’re now using the news section of their own website to accuse the union of a false flag tactic and how fantastic GNE are

The management are shambolic, they really are.

R852 PRG   18 Aug 2023, 5:35 pm
This driver sounds like a right mark.
MurdnunoC   18 Aug 2023, 5:46 pm
Every time I'm driving behind a GNE bus I'm continuously remind that 'You're not a bus driver'.

Just as well, otherwise the passengers of my bus might find themselves in a similar predicament.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
F114TML   18 Aug 2023, 5:47 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 10:24 am)Unber43 wrote Also on the strettdeck isn't the open door button literally just above the doors, it cannot be that hard for some passengers to see. 
I heard from elsewhere (so take it eith a pinch of salt) that the bus was isolated. If so, it's possible that button didn't work.

I do agree with the sentiments in hoping the driver is ok.
Adrian   18 Aug 2023, 6:59 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 12:16 pm)Wybus wrote You are reading too much into it

Nah, I'm reading exactly what has been put out there.

If you're not going to comment to the press properly, then don't do it at all. You're not obliged to.

(18 Aug 2023, 4:31 pm)Ambassador wrote Their PR is utterly shambolic, I’d be interested to know who does it.

They’re now using the news section of their own website to accuse the union of a false flag tactic and how fantastic GNE are

The management are shambolic, they really are.

Is it the second or third year running now, that we're seeing an industrial dispute play out in public? Industrial relations must be at an all time low.

I'm not sure where they're getting their rate of RPI from either. They say in their press release that the offer is backdated to July, which indicates that is the pay review date, yet RPI was 10.9% at that point? Unless they're going to accuse the ONS of being wrong: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflation.../doge/mm23

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Storx   18 Aug 2023, 7:07 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 6:59 pm)Adrian wrote Is it the second or third year running now, that we're seeing an industrial dispute play out in public? Industrial relations must be at an all time low.

I'm not sure where they're getting their rate of RPI from either. They say in their press release that the offer is backdated to July, which indicates that is the pay review date, yet RPI was 10.9% at that point? Unless they're going to accuse the ONS of being wrong: https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflation.../doge/mm23

I'm not sure what world they're living in to say it's the best pay either considering that Arriva got a pay rise of 11.9%, 4 month ago. Ironic as at the time I said this would happen.

Believe Stagecoach was similar, and they were paid more before then anyway.
mb134   18 Aug 2023, 7:42 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 5:47 pm)F114TML wrote I heard from elsewhere (so take it eith a pinch of salt) that the bus was isolated. If so, it's possible that button didn't work.

I do agree with the sentiments in hoping the driver is ok.

The emergency door buttons should still work regardless - I may be wrong but if they don't then I don't believe the vehicle is roadworthy.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   18 Aug 2023, 7:52 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 6:59 pm)Adrian wrote Is it the second or third year running now, that we're seeing an industrial dispute play out in public? Industrial relations must be at an all time low.

Yes it is, having dealt with officers from this particular union I’d say they’re a reasonable and realistic bunch. Much more open to the carrot and a tiny bit of stick when negotiating.

The poor recruitment, questionable press statements, stagnant commercial growth, recruitment and retention challenges, reliability and engineering standards off a cliff…it all points to a total lack of leadership likely hampered by over promotion and existing employees being left to fend and manage for themselves without the right skills, guidance or support. 

This whole incident just encapsulates it

Unber43   18 Aug 2023, 8:43 pm
With the pay rise drivers on £12.83, would get around 13.98, how much does Arriva/SNE pay?
Storx   18 Aug 2023, 9:10 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 8:43 pm)Unber43 wrote With the pay rise drivers on £12.83, would get around 13.98, how much does Arriva/SNE pay?

Arriva Northumbria: £14.14
Arriva Darlington: £12.02
Stagecoach Sunderland: £13.57
Stagecoach Newcastle: £13.69
Stagecoach Stockton: £13.49

Both with a PCV Licence according to job adverts. Caveat with Stagecoach is they should be due another increase very soon depending on whether it goes a year from the strikes starting or the strikes ending. Newcastle's should be soon regardless, if I'm right.

There could be problems at Darlington, mind, they're massively behind elsewhere.
Unber43   18 Aug 2023, 9:35 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 9:10 pm)Storx wrote Arriva Northumbria: £14.14

Both with a PCV Licence according to job adverts. Caveat with Stagecoach is they should be due another increase very soon depending on whether it goes a year from the strikes starting or the strikes ending. Newcastle's should be soon regardless, if I'm right.

There could be problems at Darlington, mind, they're massively behind elsewhere.
The thing is with Darlington there are no depots near by really for drivers to move to if they live locally well afaik, the nearest one is probably middlesbrough, where as Stagecoach/GNE Sunderland have each other to jump between, same with Newcastle.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Storx   18 Aug 2023, 9:38 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 9:35 pm)Unber43 wrote The thing is with Darlington there are no depots near by really for drivers to move to if they live locally well afaik, the nearest one is probably middlesbrough, where as Stagecoach/GNE Sunderland have each other to jump between, same with Newcastle.

Plenty other jobs though, there's a massive ALDI and Argos/Sainsbury's Distribution depot pretty much over the road from the place.
Chris 1   18 Aug 2023, 10:05 pm
(18 Aug 2023, 9:10 pm)Storx wrote Arriva Northumbria: £14.14

I know the Arriva website states £12.02 top rate for Durham, is that up to date thought? I’d read elsewhere £13.52.
Ambassador   18 Aug 2023, 10:24 pm
Lads I know are pulling in 24-27k for Amazon. DPD etc similar but a lot less hassle and better management and pension contribution

I have great respect to anyone driving for a living tbh. I’m paying bassic admin and call centre teams, all working from home, at higher rates than drivers, some a little less but a better work life balance

I honestly don’t know who’d choose that career…especially with gne management behind you

TEN 6083   19 Aug 2023, 12:17 am
Saw a comment on Facebook that the driver had enough of youths causing trouble on the bus so he walked off.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   19 Aug 2023, 12:43 am
Whole incident and response from GNE goes to show why there's a driver shortage!

Seems across all bus operators that there are too many "Blakey like" managers, who are out to catch drivers out and stamp their authority, rather than acting in the best interests of driver welfare and dealing with things in a reasonable and considered manner!
Dan   19 Aug 2023, 4:44 am
(18 Aug 2023, 7:07 pm)Storx wrote I'm not sure what world they're living in to say it's the best pay either considering that Arriva got a pay rise of 11.9%, 4 month ago. Ironic as at the time I said this would happen.

Believe Stagecoach was similar, and they were paid more before then anyway.

By your own admission in the following post, this offer would take GNE drivers to being the second best paid in the region (behind Arriva Northumbria) - a 9.1% increase on £12.834/hr takes GNE drivers to £14.003/hr, 31p ahead of Stagecoach and 14p behind Arriva.

This follows what was a 26% pay increase for some drivers last year to £12.83/hr.

Arriva and Stagecoach both settled their pay claims earlier this year which naturally means GNE falls behind until July when they renew theirs (and usually lead the way until the following April when the other operators come back round again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages (4) 1 2 3 4