(Yesterday, 4:27 pm)Adrian wrote I don't think it's a case of forgetting, but you're never going to be able to turn that car park back into platforms, at least not without creating another problem - parking! Given the cost of parking there, I imagine it's a bit more of a cash cow for LNER than the platforms would be.
Interesting about the GPO tunnel. I suspect there must be a reason why it hasn't been repurposed, given that it would be an ideal backup to the existing lifts at the very least.
They are building a 655 space car park near in the old goods yard to replace the car park. The area in the station is supposed to be transformed into a short stay section with the current short stay becoming the taxi rank.
https://portal.newcastle.gov.uk/planning...pplication&id=324330
Considering most of the car parks across Newcastle and all of the metro park and ride sites never get full, I don't understand the need for another expensive car park. However if they are building it, there could be an argument made that you don't need all that space and one or two platforms could fit into some of the area.