Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Wrestling

Wrestling

Wrestling

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (43): Previous 1 2 343 Next
MurdnunoC

20 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm #21
(20 Aug 2013, 6:37 pm)Andreos1 hahaha, so it was cos of sky then Wink.
Never mind your NES, you wanted to be round your mates watching his sky :p

I was the same with The Simpsons, but no matter how mates or cousins tried, I just couldn't get into it.
Whereas you didn't get the Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks thing, I loved it and the American stuff, just didn't compare.
Maybe it was because the British offering was so naff, who knows. Maybe it was because everyone piled round my Grandparents, ate fish & chips, watched the wrestling, watched the horseracing, listened for their coupon coming in and then ate a home made tea with plate pie afterwards and it held a sentimental value, who knows...

I mostly love the WoS stuff now. It has became en-vogue over the last decade or so. Many wrestlers today are hugely influenced by the likes of Johnny Saint, Johnny Kidd, Marty Jones, Les Kellett, or Marc Rocco. However, I still have no time for Daddy or Haystacks. I thought Kendo Nagasaki was a bit crap too.
MurdnunoC
20 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm #21

(20 Aug 2013, 6:37 pm)Andreos1 hahaha, so it was cos of sky then Wink.
Never mind your NES, you wanted to be round your mates watching his sky :p

I was the same with The Simpsons, but no matter how mates or cousins tried, I just couldn't get into it.
Whereas you didn't get the Big Daddy or Giant Haystacks thing, I loved it and the American stuff, just didn't compare.
Maybe it was because the British offering was so naff, who knows. Maybe it was because everyone piled round my Grandparents, ate fish & chips, watched the wrestling, watched the horseracing, listened for their coupon coming in and then ate a home made tea with plate pie afterwards and it held a sentimental value, who knows...

I mostly love the WoS stuff now. It has became en-vogue over the last decade or so. Many wrestlers today are hugely influenced by the likes of Johnny Saint, Johnny Kidd, Marty Jones, Les Kellett, or Marc Rocco. However, I still have no time for Daddy or Haystacks. I thought Kendo Nagasaki was a bit crap too.

Andreos1

20 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #22
(20 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm)AdamY I mostly love the WoS stuff now. It has became en-vogue over the last decade or so. Many wrestlers today are hugely influenced by the likes of Johnny Saint, Johnny Kidd, Marty Jones, Les Kellett, or Marc Rocco. However, I still have no time for Daddy or Haystacks. I thought Kendo Nagasaki was a bit crap too.

There was a programme on not that long ago this year, possibly on ch4 about the old school wrestlers.
Loved it.
There was the stuff from before our time, but interviewed who was still alive and they shared one or two secrets.
Andreos1
20 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #22

(20 Aug 2013, 6:46 pm)AdamY I mostly love the WoS stuff now. It has became en-vogue over the last decade or so. Many wrestlers today are hugely influenced by the likes of Johnny Saint, Johnny Kidd, Marty Jones, Les Kellett, or Marc Rocco. However, I still have no time for Daddy or Haystacks. I thought Kendo Nagasaki was a bit crap too.

There was a programme on not that long ago this year, possibly on ch4 about the old school wrestlers.
Loved it.
There was the stuff from before our time, but interviewed who was still alive and they shared one or two secrets.

MurdnunoC

20 Aug 2013, 9:56 pm #23
I think I might as well post a few matches for people to watch/sample in this thread.

Feel free to add your own.

To kick things off, some World of Sport action featuring the legendary Johnny Saint.

Some contemporary British action wrestled within an old-school WoS style context. (Noam Dar vs. Jack Gallagher)

And a match from Japan I recently watched and thought was awesome.

Enjoy.
Edited 20 Aug 2013, 9:57 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
20 Aug 2013, 9:56 pm #23

I think I might as well post a few matches for people to watch/sample in this thread.

Feel free to add your own.

To kick things off, some World of Sport action featuring the legendary Johnny Saint.

Some contemporary British action wrestled within an old-school WoS style context. (Noam Dar vs. Jack Gallagher)

And a match from Japan I recently watched and thought was awesome.

Enjoy.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm #24
I would love to goto Mania, but would love to goto the week build up to it, I will do it eventually.

I would also love to do a TV Taping over here, yes, the house shows are great, but I imagine a live tv taping being something else.

Of all the wrestlers I want to meet, I would love to meet Cena, I have heard a lot of good things about him and his treatment of fans, in Belfast I had to settle for Cody Rhodes, got a picture with him, and also met Kelly Kelly and Mickie James, I went all gooey meeting Mickie, because I am in love with her, lol, I'd had a little too much to drink and all I could say to her stuttering was 'er, er, er, Mickie, your gorgeous, I love you' she said 'aw, thank you sweetie, that's lovely' she must have thought I was a right gimp, lol...

I was a proper mark for Davey Boy Smith as a kid and my favourite match of all time was when he won the Intercontinental Title from Bret Hart at Wembley in 1992 in front of 90 odd thousand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tXFzz1eXI

And went on stupid when Bulldog returned at Insurrexion in 2000 on London, Crash Holly was Hardcore Champion with the 24/7 rule in effect and he was going on about not being able to find a Brit to fight and Bulldog came out, it was so predictable but, although I was 18 at the time, I went on like a pre-pubesent kid, lol

EDIT...How do you embed YouTube videos, can it be done with tapatalk?
Edited 20 Aug 2013, 10:55 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
20 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm #24

I would love to goto Mania, but would love to goto the week build up to it, I will do it eventually.

I would also love to do a TV Taping over here, yes, the house shows are great, but I imagine a live tv taping being something else.

Of all the wrestlers I want to meet, I would love to meet Cena, I have heard a lot of good things about him and his treatment of fans, in Belfast I had to settle for Cody Rhodes, got a picture with him, and also met Kelly Kelly and Mickie James, I went all gooey meeting Mickie, because I am in love with her, lol, I'd had a little too much to drink and all I could say to her stuttering was 'er, er, er, Mickie, your gorgeous, I love you' she said 'aw, thank you sweetie, that's lovely' she must have thought I was a right gimp, lol...

I was a proper mark for Davey Boy Smith as a kid and my favourite match of all time was when he won the Intercontinental Title from Bret Hart at Wembley in 1992 in front of 90 odd thousand

And went on stupid when Bulldog returned at Insurrexion in 2000 on London, Crash Holly was Hardcore Champion with the 24/7 rule in effect and he was going on about not being able to find a Brit to fight and Bulldog came out, it was so predictable but, although I was 18 at the time, I went on like a pre-pubesent kid, lol

EDIT...How do you embed YouTube videos, can it be done with tapatalk?

MurdnunoC

21 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm #25
(20 Aug 2013, 6:07 pm)Half Pint North East Wrestling Society recently closed it's doors and I don't think there's anymore wrestling promotions left in the region.

RADTongueRO have got show scheduled for Friday 27th September. However, their last show was cancelled so skeptical as to whether this show will happen.

[Image: 1167592_511432952271916_1496605730_o.jpg]

They usually run in South Shields and Jarrow. I was going to go to one of their shows a few months back. Sadly, I couldn't convince my seven year old nephew that he liked wrestling and wanted to go to the show.
MurdnunoC
21 Aug 2013, 7:55 pm #25

(20 Aug 2013, 6:07 pm)Half Pint North East Wrestling Society recently closed it's doors and I don't think there's anymore wrestling promotions left in the region.

RADTongueRO have got show scheduled for Friday 27th September. However, their last show was cancelled so skeptical as to whether this show will happen.

[Image: 1167592_511432952271916_1496605730_o.jpg]

They usually run in South Shields and Jarrow. I was going to go to one of their shows a few months back. Sadly, I couldn't convince my seven year old nephew that he liked wrestling and wanted to go to the show.

gtom

Banned

21 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm #26
(20 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm)fozzovmurton I was a proper mark for Davey Boy Smith as a kid and my favourite match of all time was when he won the Intercontinental Title from Bret Hart at Wembley in 1992 in front of 90 odd thousand

I was there. it was amazing. Watching this back makes me realise what a terrible announcer McMahon was! He's like an early Michael Cole.

Heenan though....Big GrinBig Grin
gtom
21 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm #26

(20 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm)fozzovmurton I was a proper mark for Davey Boy Smith as a kid and my favourite match of all time was when he won the Intercontinental Title from Bret Hart at Wembley in 1992 in front of 90 odd thousand

I was there. it was amazing. Watching this back makes me realise what a terrible announcer McMahon was! He's like an early Michael Cole.

Heenan though....Big GrinBig Grin

MurdnunoC

21 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm #27
(21 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm)gtomlinson Heenan though....Big GrinBig Grin

Ah, Bobby Heenan. Probably my favourite colour-commentator and, of course, wrestling manager. He was so skilled at what he did. Even in WCW, when he blatantly couldn't care less, he was still thoroughly entertaining.

Jessie 'The Body' Ventura was also great and also the true star of the film Predator. Big Grin
MurdnunoC
21 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm #27

(21 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm)gtomlinson Heenan though....Big GrinBig Grin

Ah, Bobby Heenan. Probably my favourite colour-commentator and, of course, wrestling manager. He was so skilled at what he did. Even in WCW, when he blatantly couldn't care less, he was still thoroughly entertaining.

Jessie 'The Body' Ventura was also great and also the true star of the film Predator. Big Grin

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm #28
(21 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm)AdamY Ah, Bobby Heenan. Probably my favourite colour-commentator and, of course, wrestling manager. He was so skilled at what he did. Even in WCW, when he blatantly couldn't care less, he was still thoroughly entertaining.

Bobby Heenan is probably the greatest of all time, I regard Paul Heyman as one of the all time great managers, but Heenan was something else, tje chemistry between him and Gorilla Monsoon was classic, only to be matched by Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler

Heenan/Gorilla Moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTwEXks5Zc

Gorilla sacks Heenan on Raw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1ESj17_Ck

An emotional Heenan says goodbye to Gorilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

The Birth of the Weasel Suit back in AWA in 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUnHgadPFSY

If your interested a 2010 WWE produced retrospective look at his career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEOCksr3ZJY
Edited 21 Aug 2013, 9:25 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
21 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm #28

(21 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm)AdamY Ah, Bobby Heenan. Probably my favourite colour-commentator and, of course, wrestling manager. He was so skilled at what he did. Even in WCW, when he blatantly couldn't care less, he was still thoroughly entertaining.

Bobby Heenan is probably the greatest of all time, I regard Paul Heyman as one of the all time great managers, but Heenan was something else, tje chemistry between him and Gorilla Monsoon was classic, only to be matched by Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler

Heenan/Gorilla Moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTwEXks5Zc

Gorilla sacks Heenan on Raw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1ESj17_Ck

An emotional Heenan says goodbye to Gorilla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf87iR-7w4

The Birth of the Weasel Suit back in AWA in 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUnHgadPFSY

If your interested a 2010 WWE produced retrospective look at his career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEOCksr3ZJY

Malarkey

22 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm #29
I'll admit right now at the age of 20, I love Wrestling and have done since I was 6 years old, Watch it week in week out without fail, including all the PPV's which I stream, I mainly watch WWE nowadays compared to TNA which I used to watch alot before Hogan came in and ruined it, now I rarely watch it.

I have always wanted to go see WWE live, but I'd rather go to the actual televised event as I think it would be a better experience than a House Show at Newcastle.

My Favourite Wrestlers/Past and Present

I have to say without a doubt my favourite wrestler is The Rock followed by CM Punk, I also like the Brutality of Brock Lesnar also. I can't stand John Cena quite glad he is injured and won't be on my TV Screen for 4-6 months.
Malarkey
22 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm #29

I'll admit right now at the age of 20, I love Wrestling and have done since I was 6 years old, Watch it week in week out without fail, including all the PPV's which I stream, I mainly watch WWE nowadays compared to TNA which I used to watch alot before Hogan came in and ruined it, now I rarely watch it.

I have always wanted to go see WWE live, but I'd rather go to the actual televised event as I think it would be a better experience than a House Show at Newcastle.

I have to say without a doubt my favourite wrestler is The Rock followed by CM Punk, I also like the Brutality of Brock Lesnar also. I can't stand John Cena quite glad he is injured and won't be on my TV Screen for 4-6 months.

Half Pint

22 Aug 2013, 8:02 pm #30
Just looked up RADTongueRO wrestling and theres quite some names in there from the British wrestling scene which is good.
Half Pint
22 Aug 2013, 8:02 pm #30

Just looked up RADTongueRO wrestling and theres quite some names in there from the British wrestling scene which is good.

gtom

Banned

22 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm #31
WWE Insurrextion, a UK only PPV from 2003 from the Telewest Arena, Newcastle

not fantastic but a brilliant Hi-light Reel

Edited 22 Aug 2013, 8:29 pm by gtom.
gtom
22 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm #31

WWE Insurrextion, a UK only PPV from 2003 from the Telewest Arena, Newcastle

Malarkey

22 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm #32
(22 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm)gtomlinson WWE Insurrextion, a UK only PPV from 2003 from the Telewest Arena, Newcastle

Need to buy this on DVD, Thanks for reminding me
Malarkey
22 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm #32

(22 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm)gtomlinson WWE Insurrextion, a UK only PPV from 2003 from the Telewest Arena, Newcastle

Need to buy this on DVD, Thanks for reminding me

MurdnunoC

22 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm #33
I've only ever been to two events at the Arena.

One was a WCW event in 2000; the other was WWA show in 2001. They were both pretty dire to be honest.
MurdnunoC
22 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm #33

I've only ever been to two events at the Arena.

One was a WCW event in 2000; the other was WWA show in 2001. They were both pretty dire to be honest.

Half Pint

22 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm #34
(22 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm)AdamY I've only ever been to two events at the Arena.

WCW was quite dire in 2000. When DDP left I stopped watching as it was too unbearable. Nitro and Thunder was poor and the PPVs were becoming terrible. The attitude era from 98 - 00 was good. 2001 was poor and the Invasion angle was botched to hell.
Half Pint
22 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm #34

(22 Aug 2013, 9:17 pm)AdamY I've only ever been to two events at the Arena.

WCW was quite dire in 2000. When DDP left I stopped watching as it was too unbearable. Nitro and Thunder was poor and the PPVs were becoming terrible. The attitude era from 98 - 00 was good. 2001 was poor and the Invasion angle was botched to hell.

Malarkey

22 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm #35
(22 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm)Half Pint WCW was quite dire in 2000. When DDP left I stopped watching as it was too unbearable. Nitro and Thunder was poor and the PPVs were becoming terrible. The attitude era from 98 - 00 was good. 2001 was poor and the Invasion angle was botched to hell.

The NWO and WWE Vs WCW/ECW angles I thought were brilliant to watch, I love sitting watching old WWE DVD's or watching them on Youtube
Malarkey
22 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm #35

(22 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm)Half Pint WCW was quite dire in 2000. When DDP left I stopped watching as it was too unbearable. Nitro and Thunder was poor and the PPVs were becoming terrible. The attitude era from 98 - 00 was good. 2001 was poor and the Invasion angle was botched to hell.

The NWO and WWE Vs WCW/ECW angles I thought were brilliant to watch, I love sitting watching old WWE DVD's or watching them on Youtube

Half Pint

22 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm #36
(22 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm)Adam Malarkey The NWO and WWE Vs WCW/ECW angles I thought were brilliant to watch, I love sitting watching old WWE DVD's or watching them on Youtube

If it wasn't for contract's and Vince's ego to shit all over WCW. Imagine the matches you could have gained;

Peoples Champion vs Peoples Champion DDP vs Rock
Goldberg vs Austin
Undertaker vs Sting

There was a lot what could have been brilliant about the angle but they kept screwing about and I was glad when it was over. 2002 - 03 was ok but once the former WCW guys came and went got boring. Never really watched it from then on.
Half Pint
22 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm #36

(22 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm)Adam Malarkey The NWO and WWE Vs WCW/ECW angles I thought were brilliant to watch, I love sitting watching old WWE DVD's or watching them on Youtube

If it wasn't for contract's and Vince's ego to shit all over WCW. Imagine the matches you could have gained;

Peoples Champion vs Peoples Champion DDP vs Rock
Goldberg vs Austin
Undertaker vs Sting

There was a lot what could have been brilliant about the angle but they kept screwing about and I was glad when it was over. 2002 - 03 was ok but once the former WCW guys came and went got boring. Never really watched it from then on.

MurdnunoC

23 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm #37
(22 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm)Half Pint Undertaker vs Sting

There's a good chance that this match may happen at next year's Wrestlemania.
MurdnunoC
23 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm #37

(22 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm)Half Pint Undertaker vs Sting

There's a good chance that this match may happen at next year's Wrestlemania.

Half Pint

23 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm #38
(23 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm)AdamY There's a good chance that this match may happen at next year's Wrestlemania.

They also said that regards last mania but it never happened. Though tbh do you really wanna see 2 old timers go at it now? 2001 time it would have been a hell yes but not now.
Edited 23 Aug 2013, 9:39 pm by Half Pint.
Half Pint
23 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm #38

(23 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm)AdamY There's a good chance that this match may happen at next year's Wrestlemania.

They also said that regards last mania but it never happened. Though tbh do you really wanna see 2 old timers go at it now? 2001 time it would have been a hell yes but not now.

MurdnunoC

23 Aug 2013, 9:46 pm #39
(23 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm)Half Pint They also said that regards last mania but it never happened. Though tbh do you really wanna see 2 old timers go at it now? 2001 time it would have been a hell yes but not now.

There's more chance of it happening this year.

Apparently Sting wants out of TNA when his contract expires and has been sending out feelers to the WWE.

Age aside, I think Sting and The Undertaker are probably both still capable of having a decent match together. It's one of the few 'big' matches which hasn't been done, and Sting doing limited dates in the WWE should be interesting.

There's also a very good chance of Hogan being back in the WWE soon. TNA owes him money, and no-one stiffs the Hulkster on pay brother...
Edited 23 Aug 2013, 9:47 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
23 Aug 2013, 9:46 pm #39

(23 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm)Half Pint They also said that regards last mania but it never happened. Though tbh do you really wanna see 2 old timers go at it now? 2001 time it would have been a hell yes but not now.

There's more chance of it happening this year.

Apparently Sting wants out of TNA when his contract expires and has been sending out feelers to the WWE.

Age aside, I think Sting and The Undertaker are probably both still capable of having a decent match together. It's one of the few 'big' matches which hasn't been done, and Sting doing limited dates in the WWE should be interesting.

There's also a very good chance of Hogan being back in the WWE soon. TNA owes him money, and no-one stiffs the Hulkster on pay brother...

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

23 Aug 2013, 10:25 pm #40
(22 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm)Adam Malarkey I'll admit right now at the age of 20, I love Wrestling and have done since I was 6 years old, Watch it week in week out without fail, including all the PPV's which I stream, I mainly watch WWE nowadays compared to TNA which I used to watch alot before Hogan came in and ruined it, now I rarely watch it.

Nothing wrong with Cena mate, I am not his biggest fan, but I do think he is a decent wrestler, he has been on top for 10+ plus years and he is probably the most marketable wrestle since Stone Cold and The Rock.

I hope Cena turns heel when he comes back, the fans have given him heel reactions for years now and it would be chance for him to try something else.

Has anyone watched Summerslam yet, does anybody think a new Corporation type stable is being planned after HHH screwed Daniel Bryan or something along the lines of Evolution or McMahon/Helmsley Regime.

With regard to the WCW/ECW buyout, I think Vince missed a trick, he has always said when he started absorbing his competiton, he never in a million years thought WWF/E would become 'it' he effectively ended the territorial system.

What Vince should have done when WCW and ECW was bought was create a setup like the NWA, with WWE and WCW operating on an International level, ECW working natonally and he should have reopened companies in different areas, having a few different companys big and small dotted about would mean it could give young wrestlers a chance to move around to learn there trade...I know things cost money, but surely the WWE Marketing Machine could have come up with something
MrFozz
23 Aug 2013, 10:25 pm #40

(22 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm)Adam Malarkey I'll admit right now at the age of 20, I love Wrestling and have done since I was 6 years old, Watch it week in week out without fail, including all the PPV's which I stream, I mainly watch WWE nowadays compared to TNA which I used to watch alot before Hogan came in and ruined it, now I rarely watch it.

Nothing wrong with Cena mate, I am not his biggest fan, but I do think he is a decent wrestler, he has been on top for 10+ plus years and he is probably the most marketable wrestle since Stone Cold and The Rock.

I hope Cena turns heel when he comes back, the fans have given him heel reactions for years now and it would be chance for him to try something else.

Has anyone watched Summerslam yet, does anybody think a new Corporation type stable is being planned after HHH screwed Daniel Bryan or something along the lines of Evolution or McMahon/Helmsley Regime.

With regard to the WCW/ECW buyout, I think Vince missed a trick, he has always said when he started absorbing his competiton, he never in a million years thought WWF/E would become 'it' he effectively ended the territorial system.

What Vince should have done when WCW and ECW was bought was create a setup like the NWA, with WWE and WCW operating on an International level, ECW working natonally and he should have reopened companies in different areas, having a few different companys big and small dotted about would mean it could give young wrestlers a chance to move around to learn there trade...I know things cost money, but surely the WWE Marketing Machine could have come up with something

Pages (43): Previous 1 2 343 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average