North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat 2017/18 Football Season

2017/18 Football Season

2017/18 Football Season

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Adrian

29 Apr 2018, 4:56 pm #41
(29 Apr 2018, 2:35 pm)MrFozz Shame...

Coleman had nothing to lose going down this year with the shite he inherited, this new group should have shown faith in Coleman to at least try and help the club recover

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree with that Fozz. If Coleman was interested in staying, he would have been a brilliant manager to guide them back to the Championship, and even give it a good go once back there.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Apr 2018, 4:56 pm #41

Coleman had nothing to lose going down this year with the shite he inherited, this new group should have shown faith in Coleman to at least try and help the club recover

Agree with that Fozz. If Coleman was interested in staying, he would have been a brilliant manager to guide them back to the Championship, and even give it a good go once back there.

Michael

29 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm #42
(29 Apr 2018, 4:56 pm)Adrian Agree with that Fozz. If Coleman was interested in staying, he would have been a brilliant manager to guide them back to the Championship, and even give it a good go once back there.

He was though, he even offered to take a pay cut to stay

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm #42

(29 Apr 2018, 4:56 pm)Adrian Agree with that Fozz. If Coleman was interested in staying, he would have been a brilliant manager to guide them back to the Championship, and even give it a good go once back there.

He was though, he even offered to take a pay cut to stay

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

29 Apr 2018, 7:27 pm #43

I'm convinced this consortium have someone lined up and essentially held all the cards in negotiations.
A case of ensuring they weren't landed with any pay-offs once control was ceded to them perhaps?

Coleman's win percentage ahead of the Sunderland job was hardly spectacular and by all accounts, some of his decisions since taking over, have been strange.

I read some stats earlier regarding the keeper situation.
Apparently there has been a change of keeper on 7 occasions since he took over.
Steele and Ruiter may have looked vulnerable and ultimately their performances led to Camp being purchased in January.
Camp didn't turn up any trees (despite his experience at that level) and seemed to be forever swapping places on the bench with Steele in the months that followed.
Hardly a recipe for success or confidence.
A strong forward line might get you goals, but you arent going to lose many if you don't conceed many. A settled back 4/5 can help achieve that aim.
Edited 29 Apr 2018, 7:28 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Apr 2018, 7:27 pm #43

I'm convinced this consortium have someone lined up and essentially held all the cards in negotiations.
A case of ensuring they weren't landed with any pay-offs once control was ceded to them perhaps?

Coleman's win percentage ahead of the Sunderland job was hardly spectacular and by all accounts, some of his decisions since taking over, have been strange.

I read some stats earlier regarding the keeper situation.
Apparently there has been a change of keeper on 7 occasions since he took over.
Steele and Ruiter may have looked vulnerable and ultimately their performances led to Camp being purchased in January.
Camp didn't turn up any trees (despite his experience at that level) and seemed to be forever swapping places on the bench with Steele in the months that followed.
Hardly a recipe for success or confidence.
A strong forward line might get you goals, but you arent going to lose many if you don't conceed many. A settled back 4/5 can help achieve that aim.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm #44
So who do people think will be next Sunderland Manager...

Names I have seen bandied about is Mick McCarthy, Roy Keane and Kevin Phillips

My old man wants Peter Reid to return

For me, I say take a risk on someone like Kevin Phillips, no management experience, but the name alone would bring a bit of a feel good factor round the place...

Not sure about Keane, McCarthy has done a good job at Wolves and wasn't bad at Sunderland in the Championship, Peter Reid is the one I sure about, my dad likes him and thinks he will do a job.

What Sunderland need is someone who can go in and stamp there authority on the club, restructure the team from top to bottom, someone young amd hungry, who will take no shit and weed out the clowns who have been around the last few years.

I hear Arsene Wenger is out of work in the next few weeks

MrFozz
29 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm #44

So who do people think will be next Sunderland Manager...

For me, I say take a risk on someone like Kevin Phillips, no management experience, but the name alone would bring a bit of a feel good factor round the place...

Not sure about Keane, McCarthy has done a good job at Wolves and wasn't bad at Sunderland in the Championship, Peter Reid is the one I sure about, my dad likes him and thinks he will do a job.

What Sunderland need is someone who can go in and stamp there authority on the club, restructure the team from top to bottom, someone young amd hungry, who will take no shit and weed out the clowns who have been around the last few years.

Andreos1

29 Apr 2018, 10:16 pm #45
(29 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm)MrFozz So who do people think will be next Sunderland Manager...

Three names I expect to see bandied about. Two in managerial roles the other in some sort of ambassadorial/advisor role.
Chris Wilder.
Michael Appleton.
Glenn Hoddle.

All have links to this Donald fella at either Oxford or Eastleigh.

Andreos1
29 Apr 2018, 10:16 pm #45

(29 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm)MrFozz So who do people think will be next Sunderland Manager...

Three names I expect to see bandied about. Two in managerial roles the other in some sort of ambassadorial/advisor role.
Chris Wilder.
Michael Appleton.
Glenn Hoddle.

All have links to this Donald fella at either Oxford or Eastleigh.

MurdnunoC

30 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm #46
(29 Apr 2018, 7:27 pm)Andreos1 Coleman's win percentage ahead of the Sunderland job was hardly spectacular and by all accounts, some of his decisions since taking over, have been strange.

Not only that, but whenever I've heard him in the radio, he sounds despondent as hell. A depressed manager hardly inspires confidence.
MurdnunoC
30 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm #46

(29 Apr 2018, 7:27 pm)Andreos1 Coleman's win percentage ahead of the Sunderland job was hardly spectacular and by all accounts, some of his decisions since taking over, have been strange.

Not only that, but whenever I've heard him in the radio, he sounds despondent as hell. A depressed manager hardly inspires confidence.

Andreos1

06 May 2018, 10:04 am #47
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status...35073?s=20

An interesting thread regarding Sunderlands finances over the years.

For some reason, a photo of John Byrne running from the field during a pitch invasion, has Suggs cuddling him.

Andreos1
06 May 2018, 10:04 am #47

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status...35073?s=20

An interesting thread regarding Sunderlands finances over the years.

For some reason, a photo of John Byrne running from the field during a pitch invasion, has Suggs cuddling him.

Andreos1

28 May 2018, 8:07 pm #48
Former Hartlepool boss passes away

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/1...sses_away/

Andreos1
28 May 2018, 8:07 pm #48

Former Hartlepool boss passes away

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/1...sses_away/

Andreos1

12 Jun 2018, 8:59 pm #49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44458631

Gateshead sale collapses and club goes part-time.

Andreos1
12 Jun 2018, 8:59 pm #49

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44458631

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

12 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm #50
(12 Jun 2018, 8:59 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44458631

Can pretty much say there chances of getting to the EFL now is over.

Its been coming for a while, The International Stadium is terrible to watch Football and the Average gate has dropped from just under 1200 in 14-15 to 852 last season.
Edited 12 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
12 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm #50

(12 Jun 2018, 8:59 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44458631

Can pretty much say there chances of getting to the EFL now is over.

Its been coming for a while, The International Stadium is terrible to watch Football and the Average gate has dropped from just under 1200 in 14-15 to 852 last season.

Andreos1

13 Jun 2018, 8:28 pm #51
(12 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm)MrFozz Can pretty much say there chances of getting to the EFL now is over.

According to reports today, there was mention of administration as a possibility.
I think the current owners have gone in with their eyes closed or have been sold a dud.
They've never been close to promotion or looked likely to reach it these last few seasons and whatever business plan they had (presumably based on promotion being acheived), looks like it has gone out of the window.

A huge shame for all involved.

Andreos1
13 Jun 2018, 8:28 pm #51

(12 Jun 2018, 10:00 pm)MrFozz Can pretty much say there chances of getting to the EFL now is over.

According to reports today, there was mention of administration as a possibility.
I think the current owners have gone in with their eyes closed or have been sold a dud.
They've never been close to promotion or looked likely to reach it these last few seasons and whatever business plan they had (presumably based on promotion being acheived), looks like it has gone out of the window.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

13 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm #52
(13 Jun 2018, 8:28 pm)Andreos1 According to reports today, there was mention of administration as a possibility.

But aren't the current owners staying on though, if so, I admire them for that, they could have flushed the Club down the Toilet, put them into Administration, seen them liquidated and then they would have re-formed in the Northern League. To be honest, a couple of division drop may not have been a bad thing, as they could re-group, go back to basics and rebuild.

While the EFL is now a million miles away, part time is not a bad thing, Dover have done well over the past few years and the Dover manager recently said there would be nothing stopping them stopping them staying PT in EFL2.

It will be tough for Gateshead, they are competing with big spenders Spennymoor and South Shields along with Darlington and Blyth for part time talent, even the Northern League can shell out good money for Semi-Pros.

For me the problem is the Stadium, hardly anybody likes Athletic Stadiums for football, the Prince Consort Road scheme would have been good, but right now, it is teams like Hartlepool and Leyton Orient along with Darlo and York keeping the average up by bringing a decent following.

It is a shame, but it was always going to happen, no owner will spunk money into a club forever with nothing in return, as you say, the ambition was nothing short of a return to the Football League and it backfired unfortunately

MrFozz
13 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm #52

(13 Jun 2018, 8:28 pm)Andreos1 According to reports today, there was mention of administration as a possibility.

But aren't the current owners staying on though, if so, I admire them for that, they could have flushed the Club down the Toilet, put them into Administration, seen them liquidated and then they would have re-formed in the Northern League. To be honest, a couple of division drop may not have been a bad thing, as they could re-group, go back to basics and rebuild.

While the EFL is now a million miles away, part time is not a bad thing, Dover have done well over the past few years and the Dover manager recently said there would be nothing stopping them stopping them staying PT in EFL2.

It will be tough for Gateshead, they are competing with big spenders Spennymoor and South Shields along with Darlington and Blyth for part time talent, even the Northern League can shell out good money for Semi-Pros.

For me the problem is the Stadium, hardly anybody likes Athletic Stadiums for football, the Prince Consort Road scheme would have been good, but right now, it is teams like Hartlepool and Leyton Orient along with Darlo and York keeping the average up by bringing a decent following.

It is a shame, but it was always going to happen, no owner will spunk money into a club forever with nothing in return, as you say, the ambition was nothing short of a return to the Football League and it backfired unfortunately

Andreos1

13 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm #53
(13 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm)MrFozz But aren't the current owners staying on though, if so, I admire them for that, they could have flushed the Club down the Toilet, put them into Administration, seen them liquidated and then they would have re-formed in the Northern League. To be honest, a couple of division drop may not have been a bad thing, as they could re-group, go back to basics and rebuild.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eN4rfVHCGCo

https://www.gateshead-fc.com/club-statement-2/

Some interesting comments there. Worth a read/listen.

As for other local big-spenders, worth keeping an eye on Hebburn. 
I think they have a little bit of the green-eyed-monster emerging after seeing what their neighbours down the river have been up to.
Spending big already this summer and apparently have big plans for the ground.
Edited 13 Jun 2018, 9:12 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
13 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm #53

(13 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm)MrFozz But aren't the current owners staying on though, if so, I admire them for that, they could have flushed the Club down the Toilet, put them into Administration, seen them liquidated and then they would have re-formed in the Northern League. To be honest, a couple of division drop may not have been a bad thing, as they could re-group, go back to basics and rebuild.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eN4rfVHCGCo

I think they have a little bit of the green-eyed-monster emerging after seeing what their neighbours down the river have been up to.

Andreos1

25 Jul 2018, 1:30 pm #54
Gateshead FC sale agreed.
Hong Kong based businessman has agreed to buy the club.

I haven't seen anything regarding full-time/part-time status changing.

Watson to stay on as manager.

Andreos1
25 Jul 2018, 1:30 pm #54

Gateshead FC sale agreed.
Hong Kong based businessman has agreed to buy the club.

I haven't seen anything regarding full-time/part-time status changing.

Watson to stay on as manager.

Adrian

04 Aug 2018, 2:07 pm #55
If anyone cares, I've renewed the Fantasy Football league. The code to join is 2015462-464380

https://fantasy.premierleague.com

Adrian
04 Aug 2018, 2:07 pm #55

If anyone cares, I've renewed the Fantasy Football league. The code to join is 2015462-464380

https://fantasy.premierleague.com

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

09 Aug 2018, 11:47 am #56
(13 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm)Andreos1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eN4rfVHCGCo

I wonder about Hebburn, am not sure it is a good move for them to be bankrolled, after Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields, Gateshead will have the local support mopped up.

How will Hebburn attract supporters to make it to the next level, do they have a grounded graded for the next level as well, it wont be easy, but good luck to 'em, these chances nearly always end up with teams booming, then it will suddenly go pop when the chairman gets sick.

I cant see Hebburn ever being able to compete with Shields for fans

MrFozz
09 Aug 2018, 11:47 am #56

(13 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm)Andreos1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eN4rfVHCGCo

I wonder about Hebburn, am not sure it is a good move for them to be bankrolled, after Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields, Gateshead will have the local support mopped up.

How will Hebburn attract supporters to make it to the next level, do they have a grounded graded for the next level as well, it wont be easy, but good luck to 'em, these chances nearly always end up with teams booming, then it will suddenly go pop when the chairman gets sick.

Andreos1

13 Aug 2018, 3:49 pm #57
(09 Aug 2018, 11:47 am)MrFozz I wonder about Hebburn, am not sure it is a good move for them to be bankrolled, after Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields, Gateshead will have the local support mopped up.

Got no idea how their attendances are doing, but the backers obviously have a vision. 
Signed a few players from Shields over the summer too. 

I've an indirect link to the club through a close family member of a colleague, so get some gossip. 
Never actually been down to watch them play though.

Andreos1
13 Aug 2018, 3:49 pm #57

(09 Aug 2018, 11:47 am)MrFozz I wonder about Hebburn, am not sure it is a good move for them to be bankrolled, after Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields, Gateshead will have the local support mopped up.

Got no idea how their attendances are doing, but the backers obviously have a vision. 
Signed a few players from Shields over the summer too. 

I've an indirect link to the club through a close family member of a colleague, so get some gossip. 
Never actually been down to watch them play though.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

13 Aug 2018, 4:04 pm #58
Went down to Hebburn in 2013 to watch Darlington, we beat them 7-1 in a dirty game...

Hebburn were down to 9 men within 15 minutes, as they tried to boot Darlo off the park...

Good luck to them, I just hope it does not end in tears for them, but history tells a different story.
Edited 13 Aug 2018, 4:06 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
13 Aug 2018, 4:04 pm #58

Went down to Hebburn in 2013 to watch Darlington, we beat them 7-1 in a dirty game...

Hebburn were down to 9 men within 15 minutes, as they tried to boot Darlo off the park...

Good luck to them, I just hope it does not end in tears for them, but history tells a different story.

Malarkey

09 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm #59
Something which may interest our NEB Football Lovers

Photos from the Stadium Tour of FC Bayern Munich's Allianz Arena
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...9562718201

Photos from the Olypiastadion in Munich
https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...1152512645
Malarkey
09 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm #59

Something which may interest our NEB Football Lovers

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

09 Sep 2018, 8:37 pm #60
(09 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm)Malarkey Something which may interest our NEB Football Lovers

Nice Photos Adam

MrFozz
09 Sep 2018, 8:37 pm #60

(09 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm)Malarkey Something which may interest our NEB Football Lovers

Nice Photos Adam

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average