Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (15) Previous 113 14 15 Next
29 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm #261
(29 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm)JP6004

Think they are removed completely and replaced with LED displays. Notice the monitors and poles are gone from upper windscreen on all refurbed B9s

Haven't they just moved the displays to behind the front seat at the top of the stairs? I don't remember there being one there previously.
It's been a while since I've been on, but I think it was just displaying a loop of the CCTV.

Then again, I could be totally wrong since I don't really go north of the river that often!
streetdeckfan
29 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm #261

(29 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm)JP6004

Think they are removed completely and replaced with LED displays. Notice the monitors and poles are gone from upper windscreen on all refurbed B9s

Haven't they just moved the displays to behind the front seat at the top of the stairs? I don't remember there being one there previously.
It's been a while since I've been on, but I think it was just displaying a loop of the CCTV.

Then again, I could be totally wrong since I don't really go north of the river that often!

JM03

29 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm #262

(29 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm)streetdeckfan Haven't they just moved the displays to behind the front seat at the top of the stairs? I don't remember there being one there previously.

They're just advertisement screens. Guess they are also left there if its ever needed on 1/A/B. Is it possible 6056-6070 could be referred too along with these?

JM03
29 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm #262

(29 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm)streetdeckfan Haven't they just moved the displays to behind the front seat at the top of the stairs? I don't remember there being one there previously.

They're just advertisement screens. Guess they are also left there if its ever needed on 1/A/B. Is it possible 6056-6070 could be referred too along with these?

29 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm #263

(29 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm)JM03

Like I say, I didn't really take much notice. I only got it to see what the refurbishment was like, and I made it to Silverlink before I decided I didn't like it. The tables were far too cramped to be usable and got the bus back to Newcastle!

Speaking of screens, do the Streetlites have a screen fitted underneath the stopping sign and it's just not in use, or did they spec it to not have one at all? I always thought it a bit strange that they installed an LED display for the NSA rather than use the LCD like Arriva do.

streetdeckfan
29 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm #263

(29 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm)JM03

Like I say, I didn't really take much notice. I only got it to see what the refurbishment was like, and I made it to Silverlink before I decided I didn't like it. The tables were far too cramped to be usable and got the bus back to Newcastle!

Speaking of screens, do the Streetlites have a screen fitted underneath the stopping sign and it's just not in use, or did they spec it to not have one at all? I always thought it a bit strange that they installed an LED display for the NSA rather than use the LCD like Arriva do.

JM03

29 Jun 2019, 8:45 pm #264

(29 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm)streetdeckfan

Im sure they're used on the 60 and find them a lot more better looking than the bar along the top

JM03
29 Jun 2019, 8:45 pm #264

(29 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm)streetdeckfan

Im sure they're used on the 60 and find them a lot more better looking than the bar along the top

29 Jun 2019, 8:52 pm #265

(29 Jun 2019, 8:45 pm)JM03

I find the LED display a lot better than the LCD from a usability perspective, but the LCD looks a lot nicer.

When I travel Arriva, assuming the displays are working, I find the glossy display quite hard to see, especially when it's sunny. But that might just be them cheaping out on the display!

streetdeckfan
29 Jun 2019, 8:52 pm #265

(29 Jun 2019, 8:45 pm)JM03

I find the LED display a lot better than the LCD from a usability perspective, but the LCD looks a lot nicer.

When I travel Arriva, assuming the displays are working, I find the glossy display quite hard to see, especially when it's sunny. But that might just be them cheaping out on the display!

Andreos1

29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm #266

(29 Jun 2019, 8:52 pm)streetdeckfan

At least my GP had Pacman animations on their LED screen Wink. However, even they've moved on.

Much prefer the LCD ones myself.

The LED ones look like an afterthought in my opinion, which obviously they were in the likes of the refurbed Mercs.

However, in a brand new Streetlite, I don't think there's any excuse. Especially when you consider how long LED scrolling messages have been around for.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm #266

At least my GP had Pacman animations on their LED screen Wink. However, even they've moved on.

The LED ones look like an afterthought in my opinion, which obviously they were in the likes of the refurbed Mercs.

However, in a brand new Streetlite, I don't think there's any excuse. Especially when you consider how long LED scrolling messages have been around for.

JP6004

29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm #267

They had the screens for CCTV...this is above the stairs. The TFT NSA was on the windscreen which has now been changed to the LED displays below the CCTV screens. All B9s with NSA have the same duo setup apart from the refurbs. Think GNE are moving away from the TFT, as you can see from all new vehicles from 2015 onwards

JP6004
29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm #267

They had the screens for CCTV...this is above the stairs. The TFT NSA was on the windscreen which has now been changed to the LED displays below the CCTV screens. All B9s with NSA have the same duo setup apart from the refurbs. Think GNE are moving away from the TFT, as you can see from all new vehicles from 2015 onwards

29 Jun 2019, 9:22 pm #268

(29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm)Andreos1

Like I said, I find the LED displays easier to read than the LCD

I suppose it's the same argument people have about the LED destination display vs the destination blinds. (Although there shouldn't be an argument, LED is far superior)

(29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm)JP6004

Was there always a display above the stairs on Cobalts? I don't recall seeing it there before. But as I said before, I rarely travel travel on them

streetdeckfan
29 Jun 2019, 9:22 pm #268

(29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm)Andreos1

I suppose it's the same argument people have about the LED destination display vs the destination blinds. (Although there shouldn't be an argument, LED is far superior)

(29 Jun 2019, 9:00 pm)JP6004

Was there always a display above the stairs on Cobalts? I don't recall seeing it there before. But as I said before, I rarely travel travel on them

JP6004

29 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm #269

(29 Jun 2019, 9:22 pm)streetdeckfan

Now u mention it, think the Fab56 and CC maybe the exception to this. Sure the last 56 I was on didn't have CCTV screen upstairs.....

JP6004
29 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm #269

Now u mention it, think the Fab56 and CC maybe the exception to this. Sure the last 56 I was on didn't have CCTV screen upstairs.....

Andreos1

29 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm #270

Not being argumentative or owt, but how are they easier to see?

Is it down to reflection/glare or contrast?

I personally find the scrolling text frustrating, mainly because of the limited space.

If you happen to glance up a moment too late, you've potentially missed a key piece of information.

XC use them on their services and when in a weird or wonderful (but unfamiliar part of the country), it can be annoying to only catch the end of something potentially important.

I think the LED displays hark back to the days of yore.

SJP and the IS were well known for their scoreboards.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=326386&page=20

Granted the technology was in its infancy then, but with everything else that's moved on and the technology which is available to us...

Andreos1
29 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm #270

I personally find the scrolling text frustrating, mainly because of the limited space.

If you happen to glance up a moment too late, you've potentially missed a key piece of information.

XC use them on their services and when in a weird or wonderful (but unfamiliar part of the country), it can be annoying to only catch the end of something potentially important.

Granted the technology was in its infancy then, but with everything else that's moved on and the technology which is available to us...

JP6004

29 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm #271

(29 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm)Andreos1

I think the TFT screen badly catches the light making it hard to see. Where as the LED display is individual LEDs with a different covering that doesn't really cloud the image behind it

JP6004
29 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm #271

I think the TFT screen badly catches the light making it hard to see. Where as the LED display is individual LEDs with a different covering that doesn't really cloud the image behind it

29 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm #272
The small text on the TFT screens makes it really hard to see as someone who needs glasses to drive but doesn't wear them all the time. I can actually see what the next stop is at the back of a streetlite, never could sitting at the back of a Merc on the 4.
deanmachine
29 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm #272

The small text on the TFT screens makes it really hard to see as someone who needs glasses to drive but doesn't wear them all the time. I can actually see what the next stop is at the back of a streetlite, never could sitting at the back of a Merc on the 4.

29 Jun 2019, 10:17 pm #273

Both the lack of reflection and contrast. The LCD displays are just far too dim.
I sort of agree with you on the scrolling, but that's because I think they made the text too big, when it switches over to show the current stop and time, I think that's perfectly legible, no need to make it full height

(29 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm)JP6004

That's exactly why I prefer them, I think if they used a matte screen it wouldn't be so bad, but then the screen would have to be even brighter still!

(29 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm)deanmachine The small text on the TFT screens makes it really hard to see as someone who needs glasses to drive but doesn't wear them all the time. I can actually see what the next stop is at the back of a streetlite, never could sitting at the back of a Merc on the 4.

Exactly, when I have to sit at the back of the X21, it's literally 10 metres to the display and it's still perfectly readable, even with the small font. When I was on the 10, I could barely read the screen from the seat behind the stairs!

streetdeckfan
29 Jun 2019, 10:17 pm #273

Both the lack of reflection and contrast. The LCD displays are just far too dim.
I sort of agree with you on the scrolling, but that's because I think they made the text too big, when it switches over to show the current stop and time, I think that's perfectly legible, no need to make it full height

(29 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm)JP6004

That's exactly why I prefer them, I think if they used a matte screen it wouldn't be so bad, but then the screen would have to be even brighter still!

(29 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm)deanmachine The small text on the TFT screens makes it really hard to see as someone who needs glasses to drive but doesn't wear them all the time. I can actually see what the next stop is at the back of a streetlite, never could sitting at the back of a Merc on the 4.

Exactly, when I have to sit at the back of the X21, it's literally 10 metres to the display and it's still perfectly readable, even with the small font. When I was on the 10, I could barely read the screen from the seat behind the stairs!

Malarkey

29 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm #274
A few photos from the first two journey's of first day of the Toon Tour prior to going to York this afternoon - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...9322275947
Malarkey
29 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm #274

A few photos from the first two journey's of first day of the Toon Tour prior to going to York this afternoon - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...9322275947

L469 YVK

30 Jun 2019, 2:16 pm #275
Got some ideas for when GNE rebrand the following services:

- Prince Bishops > Coast and Castles
- Coaster - Coast and City
- Blaydon Racers - 12/12A renumbered to X11 / X12 and become part of X-Lines brand
L469 YVK
30 Jun 2019, 2:16 pm #275

Got some ideas for when GNE rebrand the following services:

- Blaydon Racers - 12/12A renumbered to X11 / X12 and become part of X-Lines brand

cbma06

30 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm #276
(30 Jun 2019, 2:16 pm)L469 YVK Got some ideas for when GNE rebrand the following services:

Hopefully most of the brands will just go as corporate colours to bring back GNE identity back ,xline brand is going to go abit overboard and start to become pointless this time next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
30 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm #276

(30 Jun 2019, 2:16 pm)L469 YVK Got some ideas for when GNE rebrand the following services:

Hopefully most of the brands will just go as corporate colours to bring back GNE identity back ,xline brand is going to go abit overboard and start to become pointless this time next year

30 Jun 2019, 3:04 pm #277

Noted on a facebook group that 3 Volvo B7TL / Plaxton President were seen heading from Hull to the North East yesterday.

No doubt to cover extra work over the summer?

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
30 Jun 2019, 3:04 pm #277

Noted on a facebook group that 3 Volvo B7TL / Plaxton President were seen heading from Hull to the North East yesterday.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

30 Jun 2019, 3:16 pm #278

(30 Jun 2019, 3:04 pm)Rapidsnap

I saw a Hedingham President on the A1 the other day. Unsure if it's related.

omnicity4659
30 Jun 2019, 3:16 pm #278

I saw a Hedingham President on the A1 the other day. Unsure if it's related.

ne14ne1

30 Jun 2019, 3:46 pm #279

(30 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm)cbma06 Hopefully most of the brands will just go as corporate colours to bring back GNE identity back ,xline brand is going to go abit overboard and start to become pointless this time next year

Post-refurb the 56 for example could be called the Citylink 56 as it links 2 cities and is competing against other operators/modes, so maybe its justified in having it's own identity. However I agree with you, routes like the 57 & 58 etc should have their route branding dropped and adopt the new corporate livery, (as long as the trial 'replacement panel look' to the front doesn't return. Haha).

I also think they need to be careful they do not apply the X-Lines express branding to what are essentially slow/stopping services, even if the route happens to include a short section they deem to be 'non-stop'. 
Any potential new customers they're trying to temp onboard their buses by selling them their express offer are going to be left disappointed if they find Go North East's expresses actually stop every few minutes and don't get you anywhere fast.

Whilst enthusiasts like seeing different colours and designs splashed all over I do think a transport system should have a smart recognisable identity across the board. I even think one identity, or at least one house colour should be applied across all operators in the area too, (along with one ticketing system -but thats another issue).

It might be boring to enthusiasts but you have to wonder how many non-enthusiasts, i.e the majority, whether they're locals or visitors, actually see the Crusader, Green Arrow, Coaster, X9 or Citylink brands and realise they're all ran by the same company.

If I was visiting or new to Tyne & Wear and had purchased a Go North East pass its not immediately obvious which passing buses I can use unless I scour the entire bus looking for a logo. Even the new Cobalt & Coast livery - could the Go North East logos on the sides not have been put above the doors and drivers cab, rather than towards the back after the advert panels?

Ideally local/stopping buses in the area should have a common uniform. To encourage the use of public transport it needs to be as easy as possible to use. People shouldn't have to worry about what colour the bus is or what route name it's been given, or even who operates it if we're being honest - obviously the latter depending on a cross-operator ticketing system being in place.

Kynren?

Edited 30 Jun 2019, 3:47 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
30 Jun 2019, 3:46 pm #279

(30 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm)cbma06 Hopefully most of the brands will just go as corporate colours to bring back GNE identity back ,xline brand is going to go abit overboard and start to become pointless this time next year

Post-refurb the 56 for example could be called the Citylink 56 as it links 2 cities and is competing against other operators/modes, so maybe its justified in having it's own identity. However I agree with you, routes like the 57 & 58 etc should have their route branding dropped and adopt the new corporate livery, (as long as the trial 'replacement panel look' to the front doesn't return. Haha).

I also think they need to be careful they do not apply the X-Lines express branding to what are essentially slow/stopping services, even if the route happens to include a short section they deem to be 'non-stop'. 
Any potential new customers they're trying to temp onboard their buses by selling them their express offer are going to be left disappointed if they find Go North East's expresses actually stop every few minutes and don't get you anywhere fast.

Whilst enthusiasts like seeing different colours and designs splashed all over I do think a transport system should have a smart recognisable identity across the board. I even think one identity, or at least one house colour should be applied across all operators in the area too, (along with one ticketing system -but thats another issue).

It might be boring to enthusiasts but you have to wonder how many non-enthusiasts, i.e the majority, whether they're locals or visitors, actually see the Crusader, Green Arrow, Coaster, X9 or Citylink brands and realise they're all ran by the same company.

If I was visiting or new to Tyne & Wear and had purchased a Go North East pass its not immediately obvious which passing buses I can use unless I scour the entire bus looking for a logo. Even the new Cobalt & Coast livery - could the Go North East logos on the sides not have been put above the doors and drivers cab, rather than towards the back after the advert panels?

Ideally local/stopping buses in the area should have a common uniform. To encourage the use of public transport it needs to be as easy as possible to use. People shouldn't have to worry about what colour the bus is or what route name it's been given, or even who operates it if we're being honest - obviously the latter depending on a cross-operator ticketing system being in place.

Kynren?

30 Jun 2019, 4:21 pm #280

582,584,585 are soon to be on loan in the NE

NewcastleOne
30 Jun 2019, 4:21 pm #280

582,584,585 are soon to be on loan in the NE

Pages (15) Previous 113 14 15 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average