Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (12) Previous 19 10 11 12 Next
22 Feb 2020, 2:15 pm #181
No one has come forward with an answer to this which would suggest, hopefully, that it's either rumour or speculation. As I have said it would be a backward step for the X93 as this requires fleet enhancements as opposed to this.
scanialover
22 Feb 2020, 2:15 pm #181

No one has come forward with an answer to this which would suggest, hopefully, that it's either rumour or speculation. As I have said it would be a backward step for the X93 as this requires fleet enhancements as opposed to this.

RobinHood

22 Feb 2020, 2:31 pm #182
(22 Feb 2020, 11:32 am)Big O I know I've asked before but are the B9TLs due to transfer to another Arriva NE garage and if so, where?

No, the B9TL's are not moving and it is simply a rumour.

In all likelihood, ANE will get a big influx of new vehicles ready for CAZ in Newcastle, which I understand to be a mix of DD's and Minibuses, replacing B7's and Solos.

A more feasible rumour I have heard is that ANE are actually looking at the Scania E400 for the X15/X18 routes. These routes get new buses every few years because of their mileage and they are due replacement if we consider on that basis.
RobinHood
22 Feb 2020, 2:31 pm #182

(22 Feb 2020, 11:32 am)Big O I know I've asked before but are the B9TLs due to transfer to another Arriva NE garage and if so, where?

No, the B9TL's are not moving and it is simply a rumour.

In all likelihood, ANE will get a big influx of new vehicles ready for CAZ in Newcastle, which I understand to be a mix of DD's and Minibuses, replacing B7's and Solos.

A more feasible rumour I have heard is that ANE are actually looking at the Scania E400 for the X15/X18 routes. These routes get new buses every few years because of their mileage and they are due replacement if we consider on that basis.

22 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm #183
Thanks for the heads up regarding the BTL9's. Interesting about the X15/18. Not from that area so don't really know the implications.
scanialover
22 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm #183

Thanks for the heads up regarding the BTL9's. Interesting about the X15/18. Not from that area so don't really know the implications.

tyresmoke

22 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm #184
(22 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm)scanialover Thanks for the heads up regarding the BTL9's. Interesting about the X15/18. Not from that area so don't really know the implications.
From the last conversation I had with people in the know, they're looking at replacements for both the X18 and X93 as both are equally demanding and high mileage routes with a strong focus on seasonality. There certainly won't be anything in place for summer 2020 but maybe through the next winter season they'll replace the fleet? The X93 fleet will be 6 years old and X18 5 years old by that point.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
22 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm #184

(22 Feb 2020, 3:42 pm)scanialover Thanks for the heads up regarding the BTL9's. Interesting about the X15/18. Not from that area so don't really know the implications.
From the last conversation I had with people in the know, they're looking at replacements for both the X18 and X93 as both are equally demanding and high mileage routes with a strong focus on seasonality. There certainly won't be anything in place for summer 2020 but maybe through the next winter season they'll replace the fleet? The X93 fleet will be 6 years old and X18 5 years old by that point.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Kuyoyo

22 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm #185
(22 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm)tyresmoke From the last conversation I had with people in the know, they're looking at replacements for both the X18 and X93 as both are equally demanding and high mileage routes with a strong focus on seasonality. There certainly won't be anything in place for summer 2020 but maybe through the next winter season they'll replace the fleet? The X93 fleet will be 6 years old and X18 5 years old by that point.

Both are the same age - 7529-33 were new in September 2014 and 7401-6 entered service in January 2015.
Kuyoyo
22 Feb 2020, 4:31 pm #185

(22 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm)tyresmoke From the last conversation I had with people in the know, they're looking at replacements for both the X18 and X93 as both are equally demanding and high mileage routes with a strong focus on seasonality. There certainly won't be anything in place for summer 2020 but maybe through the next winter season they'll replace the fleet? The X93 fleet will be 6 years old and X18 5 years old by that point.

Both are the same age - 7529-33 were new in September 2014 and 7401-6 entered service in January 2015.

22 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm #186
Anyone got any ideas as to what sort of mileages these vehicles make in an average week / year ?
scanialover
22 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm #186

Anyone got any ideas as to what sort of mileages these vehicles make in an average week / year ?

22 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm #187
When will 7510 get put on Ashingtons Express routes
Citaro5338
22 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm #187

When will 7510 get put on Ashingtons Express routes

mb134

22 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm #188
(22 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm)scanialover Anyone got any ideas as to what sort of mileages these vehicles make in an average week / year ?

A round trip to Alnwick from Newcastle on the X18 is over 80 miles iirc. The Alnwick to Berwick portion of the X18 is another 45, so that's 170 miles on one Newcastle - Berwick - Newcastle X18. 

Assuming 3-4 round trips Alnwick to Newcastle per day then that's 240-320 miles. 

Allowing for a couple of weeks off in total over the year for servicing, routine maintenance and periods VOR then you're looking at 90k per year easy - discounting light mileage. While 90k is a lot, what's more important is remembering that for the X18 and X93 this is at higher speed for periods - with inclines, stop-start sections and tight timetables thrown into the mix.

(22 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm)Citaro5338 When will 7510 get put on Ashingtons Express routes

Given that it tops out at about 40mph, not anytime soon. Does a job on the 35 though.
Edited 22 Feb 2020, 7:36 pm by mb134.
mb134
22 Feb 2020, 7:35 pm #188

(22 Feb 2020, 6:34 pm)scanialover Anyone got any ideas as to what sort of mileages these vehicles make in an average week / year ?

A round trip to Alnwick from Newcastle on the X18 is over 80 miles iirc. The Alnwick to Berwick portion of the X18 is another 45, so that's 170 miles on one Newcastle - Berwick - Newcastle X18. 

Assuming 3-4 round trips Alnwick to Newcastle per day then that's 240-320 miles. 

Allowing for a couple of weeks off in total over the year for servicing, routine maintenance and periods VOR then you're looking at 90k per year easy - discounting light mileage. While 90k is a lot, what's more important is remembering that for the X18 and X93 this is at higher speed for periods - with inclines, stop-start sections and tight timetables thrown into the mix.

(22 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm)Citaro5338 When will 7510 get put on Ashingtons Express routes

Given that it tops out at about 40mph, not anytime soon. Does a job on the 35 though.

BusLoverMum

22 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm #189
(21 Feb 2020, 11:09 pm)Jimmi Some 6 boards interwork with scholars services that require double deckers so only really be able to move them around in the summer holidays.
It probably has a high enough PVR to keep those, though?
BusLoverMum
22 Feb 2020, 8:35 pm #189

(21 Feb 2020, 11:09 pm)Jimmi Some 6 boards interwork with scholars services that require double deckers so only really be able to move them around in the summer holidays.
It probably has a high enough PVR to keep those, though?

L469 YVK

22 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm #190
Don't know if I'm being biased here but after using the Coast Road services for the first time since GNE's Cobalt & Coast services were changed and observing loadings, it wouldn't surprise me if Arriva did the following:

- 306 & 308 reduced to every 20 mins each Mon-Fri.
- 306 & 308 reduced to every 60 mins each evenings (after approx 8.00pm Mon-Fri and 7.00 Sat & Sun) .
- Sunday daytimes unchanged.
- 51A extended to Marden Estate Mon - Sat.
- X6 withdrawn.

In fact, given the discussion about potential orders, it would fit in perfect as the PVR would only be 13x meaning that if new vehicles were ordered for the X21 / X22, the new PVR of 13x would be mostly covered using 7541-52 with the 13th vehicle being in the form of a 14 plate Sapphire E400.

In terms of dead mileage from the timetable I've produced,  there would be no 'cross route' dead mileage (306's running light from Tynemouth to Blyth or 308's running light from Blyth back to Jesmond).

I will upload the timetable / running board I've produced but struggling to upload from my laptop (maybe due to it being Windows  7 I guess??)
L469 YVK
22 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm #190

Don't know if I'm being biased here but after using the Coast Road services for the first time since GNE's Cobalt & Coast services were changed and observing loadings, it wouldn't surprise me if Arriva did the following:

- 306 & 308 reduced to every 60 mins each evenings (after approx 8.00pm Mon-Fri and 7.00 Sat & Sun) .
- X6 withdrawn.

In fact, given the discussion about potential orders, it would fit in perfect as the PVR would only be 13x meaning that if new vehicles were ordered for the X21 / X22, the new PVR of 13x would be mostly covered using 7541-52 with the 13th vehicle being in the form of a 14 plate Sapphire E400.

In terms of dead mileage from the timetable I've produced,  there would be no 'cross route' dead mileage (306's running light from Tynemouth to Blyth or 308's running light from Blyth back to Jesmond).

I will upload the timetable / running board I've produced but struggling to upload from my laptop (maybe due to it being Windows  7 I guess??)

23 Feb 2020, 7:53 am #191
Having done some quick (ish) calculations now it's kinda scary to see just how much mileage, thus how hard our vehicles are worked. I took the X93 peak timetable as my example and if, I'm open to being corrected. my figures work out, it's in the region of 70,000 a month, give or take. From looking at our BTL9's and their live so far, am I right in assuming these vehicles have done in excess of 4 million miles ?? Maybe I'm wrong? It's a Sunday challenge for anyone interested.
scanialover
23 Feb 2020, 7:53 am #191

Having done some quick (ish) calculations now it's kinda scary to see just how much mileage, thus how hard our vehicles are worked. I took the X93 peak timetable as my example and if, I'm open to being corrected. my figures work out, it's in the region of 70,000 a month, give or take. From looking at our BTL9's and their live so far, am I right in assuming these vehicles have done in excess of 4 million miles ?? Maybe I'm wrong? It's a Sunday challenge for anyone interested.

mb134

23 Feb 2020, 10:13 am #192
(23 Feb 2020, 7:53 am)scanialover Having done some quick (ish) calculations now it's kinda scary to see just how much mileage, thus how hard our vehicles are worked. I took the X93 peak timetable as my example and if, I'm open to being corrected. my figures work out, it's in the region of 70,000 a month, give or take. From looking at our BTL9's and their live so far, am I right in assuming these vehicles have done in excess of 4 million miles ?? Maybe I'm wrong? It's a Sunday challenge for anyone interested.

70k per month would imply around 2300 per day, indicating that from midnight to midnight the bus is driven constantly at near enough 100mph - both illegal and likely impossible. (Unless you're meaning the batch, however even in this case for most of the year only 5 are required per day - so it's likely nearer 50k per month as a maximum)

A round trip from Middlesbrough to Scarborough is around 100 miles. Having a quick look at bus times, I'm assuming that (roughly) each bus does 2 Middlesbrough round trips and 2 Scarborough-Whitby per day - giving total mileage per day around 300. Again assuming around 2 weeks off per year, you're looking at 100k per year.
mb134
23 Feb 2020, 10:13 am #192

(23 Feb 2020, 7:53 am)scanialover Having done some quick (ish) calculations now it's kinda scary to see just how much mileage, thus how hard our vehicles are worked. I took the X93 peak timetable as my example and if, I'm open to being corrected. my figures work out, it's in the region of 70,000 a month, give or take. From looking at our BTL9's and their live so far, am I right in assuming these vehicles have done in excess of 4 million miles ?? Maybe I'm wrong? It's a Sunday challenge for anyone interested.

70k per month would imply around 2300 per day, indicating that from midnight to midnight the bus is driven constantly at near enough 100mph - both illegal and likely impossible. (Unless you're meaning the batch, however even in this case for most of the year only 5 are required per day - so it's likely nearer 50k per month as a maximum)

A round trip from Middlesbrough to Scarborough is around 100 miles. Having a quick look at bus times, I'm assuming that (roughly) each bus does 2 Middlesbrough round trips and 2 Scarborough-Whitby per day - giving total mileage per day around 300. Again assuming around 2 weeks off per year, you're looking at 100k per year.

tvd

23 Feb 2020, 10:28 am #193
While they do put in a lot of miles, here in this patch we dont have many services operating from as early in the morning till as late as some other parts of the country. Check out the Arriva app's live map sometime, you see nothing up here at 5 AM but loads in Arrivas other divisions, and the same late evenings too.

So I dont think the buses get as flogged to death as people might think, any issues are more likely down to the desire to buy as cheap and lightweight vehicles as possible.

I'm not knowledgeable about all the different types out there, but would whatever buses Coastliner use for their services not be a good idea for Arriva on the X15/X18/X93's? They have similarly long routes. But even then they replace and cascade their buses after a few years.
tvd
23 Feb 2020, 10:28 am #193

While they do put in a lot of miles, here in this patch we dont have many services operating from as early in the morning till as late as some other parts of the country. Check out the Arriva app's live map sometime, you see nothing up here at 5 AM but loads in Arrivas other divisions, and the same late evenings too.

So I dont think the buses get as flogged to death as people might think, any issues are more likely down to the desire to buy as cheap and lightweight vehicles as possible.

I'm not knowledgeable about all the different types out there, but would whatever buses Coastliner use for their services not be a good idea for Arriva on the X15/X18/X93's? They have similarly long routes. But even then they replace and cascade their buses after a few years.

23 Feb 2020, 10:29 am #194
I could be, and happy to stand corrected here. How I got to my figures - a round trip M'bro to Scarborough is just over 100 miles, then a short - Whitby to Scarborough, which forms part of the X93 is equal to approximately 20 miles. From there I picked up the peak season X93 timetable and made it that there are/were 15 through journies and 15 short. That gave me a daily mileage, operated across the timetable and involving a number of vehicles, of just over 2000 miles a day; the rest in terms of weeks, months and years should (??) be academic. I wasn't trying to look at the one vehicle, just the timetable overall. Like I said, I could be wrong!
scanialover
23 Feb 2020, 10:29 am #194

I could be, and happy to stand corrected here. How I got to my figures - a round trip M'bro to Scarborough is just over 100 miles, then a short - Whitby to Scarborough, which forms part of the X93 is equal to approximately 20 miles. From there I picked up the peak season X93 timetable and made it that there are/were 15 through journies and 15 short. That gave me a daily mileage, operated across the timetable and involving a number of vehicles, of just over 2000 miles a day; the rest in terms of weeks, months and years should (??) be academic. I wasn't trying to look at the one vehicle, just the timetable overall. Like I said, I could be wrong!

mb134

23 Feb 2020, 10:50 am #195
(23 Feb 2020, 10:29 am)scanialover I could be, and happy to stand corrected here. How I got to my figures - a round trip M'bro to Scarborough is just over 100 miles, then a short - Whitby to Scarborough, which forms part of the X93 is equal to approximately 20 miles. From there I picked up the peak season X93 timetable and made it that there are/were 15 through journies and 15 short. That gave me a daily mileage, operated across the timetable and involving a number of vehicles, of just over 2000 miles a day; the rest in terms of weeks, months and years should (??) be academic. I wasn't trying to look at the one vehicle, just the timetable overall. Like I said, I could be wrong!

Worth remembering though that during the summer they bring in some extra deckers to operate all of those runs - and that only 5 out of 6 are required for the PVR the rest of the year. 

I'd reckon that at an absolute maximum, for the batch, you're looking at 3.5m miles. But then breaking that down to per vehicle, it's about 580,000. 

As a rough comparison:

Say a bus stays on the Newcastle to Ashington X22 all day (ignoring the X21 interworking, but that adds only about 5 miles per trip). 

Each round trip is 40 miles, at about 6 trips per day - more than that if they stay onto the evenings. That's 240 miles per day. 

The 14 plate E400s, or at least 7524-8, assuming that roughly half of their time has been spent doing Sundays and evenings, then you get to a figure of over 500k per vehicle over their 5.5 years - and that's excluding how frequently they get put on the X14/5/8 nowadays.
mb134
23 Feb 2020, 10:50 am #195

(23 Feb 2020, 10:29 am)scanialover I could be, and happy to stand corrected here. How I got to my figures - a round trip M'bro to Scarborough is just over 100 miles, then a short - Whitby to Scarborough, which forms part of the X93 is equal to approximately 20 miles. From there I picked up the peak season X93 timetable and made it that there are/were 15 through journies and 15 short. That gave me a daily mileage, operated across the timetable and involving a number of vehicles, of just over 2000 miles a day; the rest in terms of weeks, months and years should (??) be academic. I wasn't trying to look at the one vehicle, just the timetable overall. Like I said, I could be wrong!

Worth remembering though that during the summer they bring in some extra deckers to operate all of those runs - and that only 5 out of 6 are required for the PVR the rest of the year. 

I'd reckon that at an absolute maximum, for the batch, you're looking at 3.5m miles. But then breaking that down to per vehicle, it's about 580,000. 

As a rough comparison:

Say a bus stays on the Newcastle to Ashington X22 all day (ignoring the X21 interworking, but that adds only about 5 miles per trip). 

Each round trip is 40 miles, at about 6 trips per day - more than that if they stay onto the evenings. That's 240 miles per day. 

The 14 plate E400s, or at least 7524-8, assuming that roughly half of their time has been spent doing Sundays and evenings, then you get to a figure of over 500k per vehicle over their 5.5 years - and that's excluding how frequently they get put on the X14/5/8 nowadays.

mb134

23 Feb 2020, 11:11 am #196
(23 Feb 2020, 10:28 am)tvd While they do put in a lot of miles, here in this patch we dont have many services operating from as early in the morning till as late as some other parts of the country.  Check out the Arriva app's live map sometime, you see nothing up here at 5 AM but loads in Arrivas other divisions, and the same late evenings too.

I'm not knowledgeable about all the different types out there, but would whatever buses Coastliner use for their services not be a good idea for Arriva on the X15/X18/X93's?  They have similarly long routes.  But even then they replace and cascade their buses after a few years.

B5TLs on the Coastliner, same as GNE are using on the X9/X10. 

Volvo chassis, though smaller engine than what is on offer from ADL. That GNE are trialling buses on the X9/X10 may indicate that they're looking into replacing the B5s on there within a couple of years - and the Transdev order announced the other day for E400s on The Witch Way and CityZap indicate that they're not too hot on the Volvo/Wright option. 

In fairness to Arriva they didn't buy on the cheap for the X93, with the B9TL likely the best option at the time. Equally ADL E400s, at least the later ones, have proved to be solid buses.
mb134
23 Feb 2020, 11:11 am #196

(23 Feb 2020, 10:28 am)tvd While they do put in a lot of miles, here in this patch we dont have many services operating from as early in the morning till as late as some other parts of the country.  Check out the Arriva app's live map sometime, you see nothing up here at 5 AM but loads in Arrivas other divisions, and the same late evenings too.

I'm not knowledgeable about all the different types out there, but would whatever buses Coastliner use for their services not be a good idea for Arriva on the X15/X18/X93's?  They have similarly long routes.  But even then they replace and cascade their buses after a few years.

B5TLs on the Coastliner, same as GNE are using on the X9/X10. 

Volvo chassis, though smaller engine than what is on offer from ADL. That GNE are trialling buses on the X9/X10 may indicate that they're looking into replacing the B5s on there within a couple of years - and the Transdev order announced the other day for E400s on The Witch Way and CityZap indicate that they're not too hot on the Volvo/Wright option. 

In fairness to Arriva they didn't buy on the cheap for the X93, with the B9TL likely the best option at the time. Equally ADL E400s, at least the later ones, have proved to be solid buses.

23 Feb 2020, 11:29 am #197
I was going top end with my calculations for the X93, using the peak timetable, which, I'm assuming has a PVR of 8. Then I was a little bit liberal with my reckoning and would say that over the year the total mileage operated here is likely to be in the region of 3 to 3.5 million.

Notwithstanding that it's an interesting part exercise in looking at just what sort of mileages are undertaken. Be kinda good to match this against the revenue generated, operating costs and investment but we don't get that information and I'm no statistician.
scanialover
23 Feb 2020, 11:29 am #197

I was going top end with my calculations for the X93, using the peak timetable, which, I'm assuming has a PVR of 8. Then I was a little bit liberal with my reckoning and would say that over the year the total mileage operated here is likely to be in the region of 3 to 3.5 million.

Notwithstanding that it's an interesting part exercise in looking at just what sort of mileages are undertaken. Be kinda good to match this against the revenue generated, operating costs and investment but we don't get that information and I'm no statistician.

Storx

23 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm #198
(22 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm)L469 YVK Don't know if I'm being biased here but after using the Coast Road services for the first time since GNE's Cobalt & Coast services were changed and observing loadings, it wouldn't surprise me if Arriva did the following:

- X6 withdrawn.

I don't understand your obsession with decreasing the frequency of the 306 and 308. There have been no changes anywhere in the area which would result in passengers in using other services so if the numbers are down then they have more than likely moved to driving not to mention they've been every 15 minutes since forever.

I might just be stupid but I'd do the reverse and advertise it heavily from Rake Lane to Blyth as the more frequent service, cheaper and runs later and try and kill off the 309. Unless your going to Cobalt or going to Gateshead / Metro Centre then there's no benefit of using the 309 over the 308 as it's slower and now less frequent.

I know your basing this off the 309/310/311 but they a different problem in which Stagecoach is taking their passengers from Cobalt with the 1, 22 and 22X. If you live in the West End you can now get to Cobalt on a Stagecoach day ticket so there's no reason to use the GNE buses and that'll be the main reason their numbers are down. Not to mention now they're branded as Cobalt and Coast when 1/3 of the buses don't go to Cobalt and 2/3 of them don't go to the Coast. This doesn't affect Arriva as the 1 and 22 don't compete against any of the 306/308 anywhere.

Reducing the frequency is just a stupid idea when we're supposed to be getting people to use buses and not drive. The only thing I would do is remove the 306 from Battle Hill and have quicker services to Billy Mill / North Shields / Tynemouth.
Storx
23 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm #198

(22 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm)L469 YVK Don't know if I'm being biased here but after using the Coast Road services for the first time since GNE's Cobalt & Coast services were changed and observing loadings, it wouldn't surprise me if Arriva did the following:

- X6 withdrawn.

I don't understand your obsession with decreasing the frequency of the 306 and 308. There have been no changes anywhere in the area which would result in passengers in using other services so if the numbers are down then they have more than likely moved to driving not to mention they've been every 15 minutes since forever.

I might just be stupid but I'd do the reverse and advertise it heavily from Rake Lane to Blyth as the more frequent service, cheaper and runs later and try and kill off the 309. Unless your going to Cobalt or going to Gateshead / Metro Centre then there's no benefit of using the 309 over the 308 as it's slower and now less frequent.

I know your basing this off the 309/310/311 but they a different problem in which Stagecoach is taking their passengers from Cobalt with the 1, 22 and 22X. If you live in the West End you can now get to Cobalt on a Stagecoach day ticket so there's no reason to use the GNE buses and that'll be the main reason their numbers are down. Not to mention now they're branded as Cobalt and Coast when 1/3 of the buses don't go to Cobalt and 2/3 of them don't go to the Coast. This doesn't affect Arriva as the 1 and 22 don't compete against any of the 306/308 anywhere.

Reducing the frequency is just a stupid idea when we're supposed to be getting people to use buses and not drive. The only thing I would do is remove the 306 from Battle Hill and have quicker services to Billy Mill / North Shields / Tynemouth.

23 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm #199
(23 Feb 2020, 11:11 am)mb134 B5TLs on the Coastliner, same as GNE are using on the X9/X10. 

GNE confirmed that they are replacing the the B5s on the X9/X10 within the next year or two as the B5s just aren't suited to the motorway (which is the main part of the route), plus I believe the not so great reliability was also mentioned.
They're looking at either upgrading it to a coach type vehicle (hence the trials with the Panther LE) or they're seriously looking in to the Scania E400s.

From my personal experience, the B5s on the X9/X10 are absolutely horrendous, the engine is far too loud and the ride is awful.
streetdeckfan
23 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm #199

(23 Feb 2020, 11:11 am)mb134 B5TLs on the Coastliner, same as GNE are using on the X9/X10. 

GNE confirmed that they are replacing the the B5s on the X9/X10 within the next year or two as the B5s just aren't suited to the motorway (which is the main part of the route), plus I believe the not so great reliability was also mentioned.
They're looking at either upgrading it to a coach type vehicle (hence the trials with the Panther LE) or they're seriously looking in to the Scania E400s.

From my personal experience, the B5s on the X9/X10 are absolutely horrendous, the engine is far too loud and the ride is awful.

23 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm #200
The X9/10 has rarely had vehicles that are suited to the demands of the route, the predominance of which, as we know, is on the A19. I've experienced at all levels; back in the day when Tees ran it as a joint operation with a collection of elderly vehicles being literally hammered between Middlesbrough and Newcastle right through to now with these B5's which look the part but aren't suited to the route. I never got to ride on the Panther, only saw it at M'bro Bus Station when it was on trial; it sure looked the part and would be a great advert to promote the service, whether these could cope with the non-motorway sections of the route I don't know.
scanialover
23 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm #200

The X9/10 has rarely had vehicles that are suited to the demands of the route, the predominance of which, as we know, is on the A19. I've experienced at all levels; back in the day when Tees ran it as a joint operation with a collection of elderly vehicles being literally hammered between Middlesbrough and Newcastle right through to now with these B5's which look the part but aren't suited to the route. I never got to ride on the Panther, only saw it at M'bro Bus Station when it was on trial; it sure looked the part and would be a great advert to promote the service, whether these could cope with the non-motorway sections of the route I don't know.

Pages (12) Previous 19 10 11 12 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average