Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Transport Photography

Transport Photography

Transport Photography

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (21): 1 2 321 Next
31 Aug 2014, 3:07 pm #1
Hi everyone,

Soon, I'm planning on starting taking photographs of transport (hopefully a nice mixture of railways and buses), and intend to start a Flickr account etc.

Just looking for some advice, I'm fine on the part of the railways, I train-spot at CLS regularly and see many guys taking photos without any hastle, I'm just a bit concerned about the buses.....

I've always been a relatively well-behaved kid, and on the rare occasion that I get told off, I really do get annoyed about it, especially if it's for something as simple and innocent as snapping a few shots of a bus on it's first day in service. I reckon I'll be fine in Chester-Le-Street, but in terms of wanting to add a bit of variety to my photos, in places like Newcastle and Gateshead, I don't really like the idea of a policeman coming along and asking to view all of your photos.

Can anyone give me any advice on the best places in the 'notorious' zones on where to take photographs of buses. Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated.

Marcus Smile
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 3:07 pm #1

Hi everyone,

Soon, I'm planning on starting taking photographs of transport (hopefully a nice mixture of railways and buses), and intend to start a Flickr account etc.

Just looking for some advice, I'm fine on the part of the railways, I train-spot at CLS regularly and see many guys taking photos without any hastle, I'm just a bit concerned about the buses.....

I've always been a relatively well-behaved kid, and on the rare occasion that I get told off, I really do get annoyed about it, especially if it's for something as simple and innocent as snapping a few shots of a bus on it's first day in service. I reckon I'll be fine in Chester-Le-Street, but in terms of wanting to add a bit of variety to my photos, in places like Newcastle and Gateshead, I don't really like the idea of a policeman coming along and asking to view all of your photos.

Can anyone give me any advice on the best places in the 'notorious' zones on where to take photographs of buses. Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated.

Marcus Smile

tyresmoke

31 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm #2
(31 Aug 2014, 3:07 pm)Marcus Hi everyone,

Marcus Smile

Have to say I've rarely had any trouble from the police, the only time we got "questioned" was when we were stood outside of the athletes village bus station in Glasgow a few weeks ago, and even then they were quite happy to let us stand there taking photos.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
31 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm #2

Marcus Smile

Have to say I've rarely had any trouble from the police, the only time we got "questioned" was when we were stood outside of the athletes village bus station in Glasgow a few weeks ago, and even then they were quite happy to let us stand there taking photos.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm #3

Marcus Smile

Policemen never come, it's the dickhead Nexus staff that tell you to move. I normally just be sarcastic to them and move like one step out of their property - then they can't do anything. Once I was told I was a terrorist!
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm #3

Marcus Smile

Policemen never come, it's the dickhead Nexus staff that tell you to move. I normally just be sarcastic to them and move like one step out of their property - then they can't do anything. Once I was told I was a terrorist!

Adrian

31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm #4

Marcus Smile

Best advice I can give is don't act suspicious and people won't get suspicious. If it's quite clear you're taking photos of buses, then the majority of people won't have an issue. I've seen people approached, but it tends to be when they're looking around over their shoulder a lot, acting quite 'shifty'. If you want to take photos at bus stations in Tyne and Wear, just make sure you're well out the way and off their property, otherwise you risk being approached.

I know Dan does, and I think some others do the same as me. I'll either look up the route on Google maps and use a mixture of that and street view to find some suitable spots for photos. Or alternatively, ride the route in full and note them down along the way. At least that way I find I get a good variation of photos.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm #4

Marcus Smile

Best advice I can give is don't act suspicious and people won't get suspicious. If it's quite clear you're taking photos of buses, then the majority of people won't have an issue. I've seen people approached, but it tends to be when they're looking around over their shoulder a lot, acting quite 'shifty'. If you want to take photos at bus stations in Tyne and Wear, just make sure you're well out the way and off their property, otherwise you risk being approached.

I know Dan does, and I think some others do the same as me. I'll either look up the route on Google maps and use a mixture of that and street view to find some suitable spots for photos. Or alternatively, ride the route in full and note them down along the way. At least that way I find I get a good variation of photos.

Andreos1

31 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm #5

Marcus Smile

Just do your own thing. You don't need to go to the notorious zones or hang about bus stations - if you do, your photos will probably be the same as everyone else.
Think about all the unique photo opportunities on your doorstep and five minutes down the road - just with the 71 and 78!
How many photo's do you see of buses at Chester Moor?
What about on the new roundabout at the top of Park Road North?
Plenty opportunity for different, unique shots without following the crowds.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm #5

Marcus Smile

Just do your own thing. You don't need to go to the notorious zones or hang about bus stations - if you do, your photos will probably be the same as everyone else.
Think about all the unique photo opportunities on your doorstep and five minutes down the road - just with the 71 and 78!

Jimmi

31 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm #6
(31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm)aureolin I know Dan does, and I think some others do the same as me. I'll either look up the route on Google maps and use a mixture of that and street view to find some suitable spots for photos. Or alternatively, ride the route in full and note them down along the way. At least that way I find I get a good variation of photos.

I have a list of places I want to take photos at mostly in County Durham and Darlington with many of them are places that are rarely photographed as when I do eventually get round to setting up a Flickr account there will be photos of buses in a variety of places and not just wall to wall photos of buses exiting Haymarket Bus Station.
Jimmi
31 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm #6

(31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm)aureolin I know Dan does, and I think some others do the same as me. I'll either look up the route on Google maps and use a mixture of that and street view to find some suitable spots for photos. Or alternatively, ride the route in full and note them down along the way. At least that way I find I get a good variation of photos.

I have a list of places I want to take photos at mostly in County Durham and Darlington with many of them are places that are rarely photographed as when I do eventually get round to setting up a Flickr account there will be photos of buses in a variety of places and not just wall to wall photos of buses exiting Haymarket Bus Station.

Adrian

31 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm #7
(31 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Just do your own thing. You don't need to go to the notorious zones or hang about bus stations - if you do, your photos will probably be the same as everyone else.

Tried Chester Moor, but it's quite busy on the A167 traffic wise. May give it another go one day, when it's perhaps a bit quieter. I daren't take my camera into Fencehouses though. Wink

(31 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm)Jimmi I have a list of places I want to take photos at mostly in County Durham and Darlington with many of them are places that are rarely photographed as when I do eventually get round to setting up a Flickr account there will be photos of buses in a variety of places and not just wall to wall photos of buses exiting Haymarket Bus Station.

See I quite like most of the old photos I see, because they're all out and about. I can't flick through photos when it's just photo after photo from the same spot, or worse, photo after photo taken seconds after the previous. Smile I don't think there's anything wrong with bus station photos though as long as it's part of a variety. Each to their own though.

Adrian
31 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm #7

(31 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Just do your own thing. You don't need to go to the notorious zones or hang about bus stations - if you do, your photos will probably be the same as everyone else.

Tried Chester Moor, but it's quite busy on the A167 traffic wise. May give it another go one day, when it's perhaps a bit quieter. I daren't take my camera into Fencehouses though. Wink

(31 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm)Jimmi I have a list of places I want to take photos at mostly in County Durham and Darlington with many of them are places that are rarely photographed as when I do eventually get round to setting up a Flickr account there will be photos of buses in a variety of places and not just wall to wall photos of buses exiting Haymarket Bus Station.

See I quite like most of the old photos I see, because they're all out and about. I can't flick through photos when it's just photo after photo from the same spot, or worse, photo after photo taken seconds after the previous. Smile I don't think there's anything wrong with bus station photos though as long as it's part of a variety. Each to their own though.

Jimmi

31 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm #8
(31 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm)aureolin Tried Chester Moor, but it's quite busy on the A167 traffic wise. May give it another go one day, when it's perhaps a bit quieter. I daren't take my camera into Fencehouses though. Wink

I hate looking at loads of photos in the same place wether it's a bus station or somewhere with a lot of shrubbery, I tend to limit myself to about a maximum of 15 minutes in one place, although I did recently spend an hour in Stockton and an hour in Middlesbrough Bus Station but that was only because I wanted to photo as many of the Prestiges and Darts before they are withdrawn.
Jimmi
31 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm #8

(31 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm)aureolin Tried Chester Moor, but it's quite busy on the A167 traffic wise. May give it another go one day, when it's perhaps a bit quieter. I daren't take my camera into Fencehouses though. Wink

I hate looking at loads of photos in the same place wether it's a bus station or somewhere with a lot of shrubbery, I tend to limit myself to about a maximum of 15 minutes in one place, although I did recently spend an hour in Stockton and an hour in Middlesbrough Bus Station but that was only because I wanted to photo as many of the Prestiges and Darts before they are withdrawn.

Andreos1

31 Aug 2014, 5:00 pm #9

Try nearer the roundabout or next to the roundabout at the Red Lion. They don't go as fast there Wink.
Lots of different angles to get them at too.

(31 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm)Jimmi I hate looking at loads of photos in the same place wether it's a bus station or somewhere with a lot of shrubbery, I tend to limit myself to about a maximum of 15 minutes in one place, although I did recently spend an hour in Stockton and an hour in Middlesbrough Bus Station but that was only because I wanted to photo as many of the Prestiges and Darts before they are withdrawn.

Despite there probably being some excellent Flickr accounts and photos to go with them, that is the reason I never bother looking these days.
Edited 31 Aug 2014, 5:00 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
31 Aug 2014, 5:00 pm #9

Try nearer the roundabout or next to the roundabout at the Red Lion. They don't go as fast there Wink.
Lots of different angles to get them at too.

(31 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm)Jimmi I hate looking at loads of photos in the same place wether it's a bus station or somewhere with a lot of shrubbery, I tend to limit myself to about a maximum of 15 minutes in one place, although I did recently spend an hour in Stockton and an hour in Middlesbrough Bus Station but that was only because I wanted to photo as many of the Prestiges and Darts before they are withdrawn.

Despite there probably being some excellent Flickr accounts and photos to go with them, that is the reason I never bother looking these days.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm #10
(31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm)aureolin Best advice I can give is don't act suspicious and people won't get suspicious. If it's quite clear you're taking photos of buses, then the majority of people won't have an issue. I've seen people approached, but it tends to be when they're looking around over their shoulder a lot, acting quite 'shifty'. If you want to take photos at bus stations in Tyne and Wear, just make sure you're well out the way and off their property, otherwise you risk being approached.

The maps which Arriva and GNE give to show the route a service takes have proven to be very helpful for me, when looking for locations for good places to take photographs at en-route. As you say, Google Maps helps me familiarise myself with the location and then I tend to use the sun calculator to work out when to go there for a photo. I'm becoming increasingly familiar with the Stanley area as I've walked about when I've been there, and I got a nice shot of the Drifter on the 8 yesterday as the sun was at a decent angle and it was an alternative location.

All depends on how much time I have though, and if I'm trying to clear a list of "needs" or "last photographs" (in which case I tend to take more 'repetitive' photographs).

Spending a few hours on one bus service and just hopping on and off is a great way to do it too, although you'll find that you're sometimes limited if you want the sun at the right angle.

Each to their own at the end of the day, but I find that's much more entertaining. I'm getting to ride the buses (whilst getting the opportunity to catch up on Social Media, play games, etc) whilst also taking a good variety of photographs.

As someone who likes viewing other enthusiasts' photographs, I can't put myself through looking at a repetitive stream of photographs taken one after the other. I suspect others are the same, which is why I tend to provide as much variety as possible. Others achieve this by uploading in batches of five every few hours...
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm #10

(31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm)aureolin Best advice I can give is don't act suspicious and people won't get suspicious. If it's quite clear you're taking photos of buses, then the majority of people won't have an issue. I've seen people approached, but it tends to be when they're looking around over their shoulder a lot, acting quite 'shifty'. If you want to take photos at bus stations in Tyne and Wear, just make sure you're well out the way and off their property, otherwise you risk being approached.

The maps which Arriva and GNE give to show the route a service takes have proven to be very helpful for me, when looking for locations for good places to take photographs at en-route. As you say, Google Maps helps me familiarise myself with the location and then I tend to use the sun calculator to work out when to go there for a photo. I'm becoming increasingly familiar with the Stanley area as I've walked about when I've been there, and I got a nice shot of the Drifter on the 8 yesterday as the sun was at a decent angle and it was an alternative location.

All depends on how much time I have though, and if I'm trying to clear a list of "needs" or "last photographs" (in which case I tend to take more 'repetitive' photographs).

Spending a few hours on one bus service and just hopping on and off is a great way to do it too, although you'll find that you're sometimes limited if you want the sun at the right angle.

Each to their own at the end of the day, but I find that's much more entertaining. I'm getting to ride the buses (whilst getting the opportunity to catch up on Social Media, play games, etc) whilst also taking a good variety of photographs.

As someone who likes viewing other enthusiasts' photographs, I can't put myself through looking at a repetitive stream of photographs taken one after the other. I suspect others are the same, which is why I tend to provide as much variety as possible. Others achieve this by uploading in batches of five every few hours...

31 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm #11
(31 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm)Dan The maps which Arriva and GNE give to show the route a service takes have proven to be very helpful for me, when looking for locations for good places to take photographs at en-route. As you say, Google Maps helps me familiarise myself with the location and then I tend to use the sun calculator to work out when to go there for a photo.

That's what I intend to do - by having a variety of trains and buses I think it'll keep people entertained.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Smile
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm #11

(31 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm)Dan The maps which Arriva and GNE give to show the route a service takes have proven to be very helpful for me, when looking for locations for good places to take photographs at en-route. As you say, Google Maps helps me familiarise myself with the location and then I tend to use the sun calculator to work out when to go there for a photo.

That's what I intend to do - by having a variety of trains and buses I think it'll keep people entertained.

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm #12
I'm taking a break from Flickr until I get myself sorted, as it's getting to a point where I'm not enjoying taking photos.
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm #12

I'm taking a break from Flickr until I get myself sorted, as it's getting to a point where I'm not enjoying taking photos.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 9:38 pm #13
(31 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus That's what I intend to do - by having a variety of trains and buses I think it'll keep people entertained.

As someone who didn't have much of an interest in trains a few months back, I started taking photos of Metros more frequently just to provide a bit of variety to my photostream. This eventually expanded to trains, whenever I happened to be travelling by train. I quite like throwing in a train photo now, and my interest has increased massively. Although you appear to have quite an interest as it is, don't be afraid to try new things out - you may surprise yourself.

You tend to get more favourites when you upload in smaller batches (ideal number being 5), but it depends whether that's the purpose for you going out to take the photos at the end of the day...
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 9:38 pm #13

(31 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus That's what I intend to do - by having a variety of trains and buses I think it'll keep people entertained.

As someone who didn't have much of an interest in trains a few months back, I started taking photos of Metros more frequently just to provide a bit of variety to my photostream. This eventually expanded to trains, whenever I happened to be travelling by train. I quite like throwing in a train photo now, and my interest has increased massively. Although you appear to have quite an interest as it is, don't be afraid to try new things out - you may surprise yourself.

You tend to get more favourites when you upload in smaller batches (ideal number being 5), but it depends whether that's the purpose for you going out to take the photos at the end of the day...

Adrian

31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm #14
(31 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm)Tom I'm taking a break from Flickr until I get myself sorted, as it's getting to a point where I'm not enjoying taking photos.
How come you aren't enjoying it?

I tend to go through phases like that. Can't even be bothered to plan a day out. Last week I just set a target of Sapphire and Max, and went for it. Worked out pretty well, and without the headache of planning a day out.

Adrian
31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm #14

(31 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm)Tom I'm taking a break from Flickr until I get myself sorted, as it's getting to a point where I'm not enjoying taking photos.
How come you aren't enjoying it?

I tend to go through phases like that. Can't even be bothered to plan a day out. Last week I just set a target of Sapphire and Max, and went for it. Worked out pretty well, and without the headache of planning a day out.

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm #15
You're quite like myself. I often have a few weeks where I take loads of photos, but end up sickening myself with it, so then I avoid it for a few weeks.
Dan
31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm #15

You're quite like myself. I often have a few weeks where I take loads of photos, but end up sickening myself with it, so then I avoid it for a few weeks.

31 Aug 2014, 9:41 pm #16
(31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm)Dan You're quite like myself. I often have a few weeks where I take loads of photos, but end up sickening myself with it, so then I avoid it for a few weeks.

I'm like that with buses and trains. Currently I'm going through a phase where I prefer trains, but no doubt by Christmas I'll mainly enjoy buses again. Truth be told, I haven't been on a bus since I went on holiday, which was the 6th August!
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 9:41 pm #16

(31 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm)Dan You're quite like myself. I often have a few weeks where I take loads of photos, but end up sickening myself with it, so then I avoid it for a few weeks.

I'm like that with buses and trains. Currently I'm going through a phase where I prefer trains, but no doubt by Christmas I'll mainly enjoy buses again. Truth be told, I haven't been on a bus since I went on holiday, which was the 6th August!

Jimmi

31 Aug 2014, 9:43 pm #17
I'm trying to build an archive at the moment and when I do get a Flickr I will probably only upload so many photos taken on a day out and archive many others taken on that day so I still have photos to upload when I don't go out.

I may set Flickr up just before Sapphire is introduced to service 5/5A.
Jimmi
31 Aug 2014, 9:43 pm #17

I'm trying to build an archive at the moment and when I do get a Flickr I will probably only upload so many photos taken on a day out and archive many others taken on that day so I still have photos to upload when I don't go out.

I may set Flickr up just before Sapphire is introduced to service 5/5A.

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm #18

It's partly due to the fact I'm sickening myself with it, and another due to the fact I'm worried that someone will see me taking photos.
It's stupid I know, but I can't help it.
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm #18

It's partly due to the fact I'm sickening myself with it, and another due to the fact I'm worried that someone will see me taking photos.

31 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm #19
(31 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm)Tom It's partly due to the fact I'm sickening myself with it, and another due to the fact I'm worried that someone will see me taking photos.

I must admit, that is holding me back.

Not many will see up at a train station during off-peak times watching a handful of trains race through, but I've had dozens of people come up behind me while I'm standing in Chester and go 'boo!' Tongue
R852 PRG
31 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm #19

(31 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm)Tom It's partly due to the fact I'm sickening myself with it, and another due to the fact I'm worried that someone will see me taking photos.

I must admit, that is holding me back.

Not many will see up at a train station during off-peak times watching a handful of trains race through, but I've had dozens of people come up behind me while I'm standing in Chester and go 'boo!' Tongue

Tom

31 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm #20
(31 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm)Marcus I must admit, that is holding me back.

Don't the people at school know about your hobby though?
Surely they would understand then?
Tom
31 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm #20

(31 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm)Marcus I must admit, that is holding me back.

Don't the people at school know about your hobby though?
Surely they would understand then?

Pages (21): 1 2 321 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average