North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

tom.robinson206

(27 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]According to a customer post on Facebook wall, one of my beloved Waggonways is on fire. Whilst I hope everyone got off safely I hope the vehicle has been damaged beyond use Rolleyes

Aw, what a shame Big Grin
An opportunity has arisen for me to finally make this post, so I shall. I'd first like to apologise for not doing my "Daily Digests" lately - no doubt it has been noticed by many of you, as a few comments are often made about them after the post. Nevertheless, I have had a very good reason for this being so (my Flickr account has seen very little activity for the same reasons)... Due to my very low immune system, I pick up almost every virus going around school. A lot of you know how ill I was last week, and how I only made myself worse by going out, but on Monday, just as I thought I had recovered from it all, a feeling of weakness came over me and because I decided to go out to capture some of the oddities I had timed for later in the evening, I made myself worse. When I got home, I cracked on with some revision for I had an exam the following day and did some homework too. Unfortunately, I had fallen asleep by 20:00 and as a result, the "Daily Digest" did not come. Likewise, Tuesday shared a very similar story. A lot of homework I received on Monday did not get completed, so I finished off Monday's homework and tried to get on with some of the homework I received during that day too. By about 21:00, I'd fallen asleep once more; as a result, the "Daily Digest" was not completed (and neither was the previous night's) because I had been waiting for all photos to be uploaded to Flickr before doing them.
Anyway, I am feeling a lot better this evening, but I'm not risking waiting for photos to be uploaded again as I'll most likely fall asleep again. Already feeling a little drowsy... But yes, the DD's are back! Big Grin

DAILY DIGEST: 25/02/13
Note that information could be inaccurate and/or been proven otherwise since the data was originally gathered!

- Red Omnicity 5274 has been transferred to Percy Main from Stanley. It has recently seen usage on service 9, as can be seen in the photograph below:
5274 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

- Dual-door "Pulse" branded Renowns are said to be soon moving to Percy Main. They will carry "Northern" branding. This information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation (presumably for the upcoming March changes). This will subsequently cause some SPDs to be withdrawn from Percy Main.

- "Northern" 4944 is said to be going to be transferred from Percy Main to Gateshead this evening. As above: this information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation.

- Many silver Citaros saw use on various Gateshead services following the transfer which occured in my previous DD. A few examples can be seen in the photos below:
5310 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5314 on "Toon Link" 47 (mdw9121)
5316 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5319 on "Crusader" 27 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

- "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR 629 saw usage on the Deptford depot Staff Shuttle service, as can be seen below:
629 (danielgrahamm)

- Finally, the odd workings!
"TEN" 6081 on "Toon Link" service 31 (mdw9121)
"SimpliCity" 8325 on "Sunderland Connect" service 700 (danielgrahamm)
"Lambton Worm" 4865 on "Lime" service 8 (danielgrahamm)
"Street Shuttle" MPD on "South Tyne" 88 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)

DAILY DIGEST: 26/02/13
Note that information could be inaccurate and/or been proven otherwise since the data was originally gathered!

- The Silver Citaros continue to be used on various Gateshead-based services. Photos can be seen below:
5310 on service 64A (S.Blair250)
5315 on "Loop" 94 (S.Blair250)
5316 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)
5319 on "Citylink" 58 (Bazza90 Bus Photos)
5328 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)
5332 on "Crusader" 27 (S.Blair250)

- Pink Trainer Volvo B10M 7078 has been seen rather frequently in and around the Newcastle and Gateshead areas lately. I'm not entirely sure of where it was based previously (if different to now) but I saw it in Gateshead depot on Sunday. An example of 7078 in action can be seen below:
7078 in action (emdjt42)
7078 in the depot (despite not being the subject of the photo) (S.Blair250)

- Better frontal and rear shots of 4952 have been posted to Flickr, since the first (terrible) rear photo was issued on Flickr by me. I have my uses I guess, alerting you guys of something you can catch throughout the day when the depot is almost empty! For the benefit of the community, I shall share these in today's digest too:
Rear shot of 4952 (mdw9121)
Frontal shot of 4952 (S.Blair250)
A comparison between the old and the new - 4950 and 4952 (S.Blair250)

- Some miscellaneous depot shots showing vehicles receiving attention:
5351 (mdw9121)
8313 (mdw9121)

- "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR 628 saw use on Staff Shuttles today! Contrary to what I had previously thought, this does not affect the 700 service in any way, so I don't think there were any odd workings on the 700. This replaced SPD 8234.

DAILY DIGEST: 27/02/13

- Due to an accident at Grangetown Roundabout, Go North East services #38, #39, #42, #60, #61 & #202 had to be diverted via Spelter Works Road out of town. No photos have been uploaded to Flickr of this diversion.

- An un-identified "Lime" Renown was seen on Chester Road, Sunderland, out of service having broken down while working "Lime" service 8 to Sunderland. It was awaiting assistance at about 16:15 today.

- A "Waggonway" DAF has been reported on the Go North East Facebook page to be 'on fire'. The original post on Facebook can be seen on the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/simplyGNE/posts/...5494085710

- Unlike every other day this week, a "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR did not replace a SPD on Deptford Staff Shuttles - a SPD remained on all day. This, however, did not prevent an oddity occuring on the 700!

- Contrary to what was previously reported in a "Daily Digest" post, Percy Main-based "Northern" 4944 has not been transferred to Gateshead. This is said to have been postponed until the March changes.

- ‎5160 and 4838 are said to have been repainted this evening. If anyone gets a photo of either in the forthcoming days, do let me know and I shall definitely include a photo to it in the DD!

- And finally, the odd workings! Certainly a short dosage today...
"Poppy Bus" 4949 on "X66 Metrocentre" service X66. Note that a "Citylink" articulated Citaro can also be seen in the background of the shot, also working service X66. (ADAM'S NORTHEAST BUSPHOTOS)
"Tyne Tees eXpress 3963 on "Fab Fifty Seven" service 57. (ADAM'S NORTHEAST BUSPHOTOS)
"Drifter" 8303 on "Sunderland Connect" service 700 (Northern Bus Photos)

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this trio Daily Dosage post. If you find anything that is worth including in a DD, do contact me in whichever way is most suitable for you. You can message me on Facebook or PM me on the forum quite easily. Although we have recently been discussing things usually collected in a DD through the day, it does not hurt for us to say it once more in one place! ;-)
Yeah there wasn't many odd workings, I was mainly keeping track on what mercs were on the 27.

Also as reported in my GNE Update, Bazza Houston told GNE have apparently ordered new buses for the MetroLink M1, whether this is true or not I do not know as I haven't heard anything about it.
3879 broke down in Wrekenton this afternoon whilst on the X25. Those Lolyne's seem to be becoming increasingly unreliable.
Once changes happen im sure the 69/69a drop its PVR, maybe 1 of them will go for the 17.
Think the 67 will just a northen branded service

Be intresting in May to see if GNE got funding fron the green bus.

Im hoping in that the 56 will get new buses in this order so the scania's can move on to other services, maybe the 20 could do with a few deckers on route...

I cant comment on other services as i.rarely use GNE services out of Sunderland

Any1 think the 700 might get a increase again in spetember
That sounds great can't wait for these new buses to come, just hope they don't buy more Versas.

I would like GNE to buy either Pulsar2's or the new version of the Citaro for single deck operations. And Obviously more Gemini2's as I love them.

Services by brand that come to mind with unreliable/old buses are:

MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

I would say MPD's also but I think they'll not be replaced for a while yet, perhaps mid 2014 at the latest i'd say as they work perfectly and have done since GNE bought the 52/53/54reg batches, the 2000/2001 batch of MPD's were awful just like the MPD's.

Speaking of the ELC Loynes I think they'll be withdrawn once the SPD's/Olympians are gone.
(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Services by brand that come to mind with unreliable/old buses are:

MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

Speaking of the ELC Loynes I think they'll be withdrawn once the SPD's/Olympians are gone.

Looking at those you've listed I'd guess commercially that Metrolink and F56 are probably the 2 most commercially successful.

There's probably a reason why those services have the oldest kit, look how long it took a money maker like the 21 to get decent buses!
I'd agree with that, the Wheyaye50 I think would make quite a bit money also, wouldn't mind seeing Geminis on there. I forgot to mention ToonLink and Fab Fifty Seven in that list also.

I've done a Metrolink Citaro and a ToonLink Gemini2 Paperbus, I'll do a Wheyaye50 Gemini2 at somepoint tomorrow. And I shall post them on here and my Flickr Page.

Obviously GNE are making a lot of money off of Bus Fares and the selling on of the Olympians and SPD's in the fleet and on top of that you have the GreenBus Fund so I can't see why most if not all see New Buses come the Winter.

Plus you have the cost of the new depot on top of that aswell and fuel costs. Looks like a Massive year ahead for GNE
(27 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm)Rob wrote [ -> ]Northern? Percy Main requires 1 more vehicle to make the PVR of the 17/307 inter-working.

Unless there are any other dual door Renowns, then yes - that is what has been said by a trustworthy source.
Note: 'This information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation (presumably for the upcoming March changes)'

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]I would like GNE to buy either Pulsar2's or the new version of the Citaro for single deck operations. And Obviously more Gemini2's as I love them.

I'd like to see something non-standard enter the fleet. I've said this previously: Go North East are becoming more and more like other companies by standardising their fleet. It's a great shame indeed; while it doesn't affect the customer in any way whatsoever (probably provides a better customer service as GNE will have more knowledge of the vehicle and how reliable it is etc), it certainly does affect the enthusiast who doesn't like to see everything so standardised. It's why I often find myself complaining about Stagecoach's fleet - it just gets so boring!

On that note then, what I'd like to see enter the fleet are some Pulsar 2s (would be nice to see them branded up for a Go North East service, and not just in Arriva's generic livery) or some Enviro 200/300s (even 350Hs if it were a matter of Green Bus Funding!) which are obviously more commonly associated with Stagecoach. Likewise, some Enviro 400/Hs wouldn't go at a loss as opposed to Go North East's standard Gemini for double deck operations.

We must consider that quite a lot of Go North East's ex-London double deckers will not be suitable for operation post-2015, so they will have to go eventually... If Go North East are to directly replace them so that services will always have a spare double decker as opposed to single deckers for services, then we will be seeing a few more Geminis (or another alternative should GNE change their ways).

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

As for the MetroLink Solars, I'd have said that, having NL52 regs, they wouldn't be quite as bad as other Solars within the fleet. I believe that these NL52 regs will be staying post 2015 withdrawals, as they just scrape the minimum Euro standard. The customer demand is high enough for a double deck (or an enhanced higher seating capacity single deck) operation to be feasible though, so the likelihood of the MetroLink service being one that gains some of the 80 new buses this year is high in my opinion.

Whey Aye Five 0 vehicles, I can agree with you. Despite only being a year older, these 2001 Y-reg series Solars do seem to have been unreliable in the past few months. As it's a service I don't use (Washington-CLS-Durham connection isn't one that I need being from Sunderland), I can't comment on the passenger demand of this service. Nevertheless, I think that these won't even be staying within the fleet post 2015 withdrawals. So, with that in mind, I think that these, in addition to the various MPDs Go North East have, will be some of the next single deckers to go after all of the main culprits have departed (SPDs, Prestiges, etc).

Fab Fifty Six, as above really. I could imagine that the 51 reg series Solars aren't too far behind the Y reg series ones... As for a higher seating capacity operation, I definitely do think that an upgrade would be feasible, and the likelihood of it happening is strong. Go North East have had countless suggestions made on their Facebook page for double deck operation, and this has actually been the case for quite a while now (one or two Vykings/Presidents always seem to slip on there lately).

Lime, Lambton Worm, Waggonway... While they have got the oldest buses and quite possibly the most unreliable compared to the ones mentioned above, I really don't think that the passenger demand of those services is quite high! I've not once been on a full "Lime" 8/78 service between Sunderland and the split-point at Chester Road; the demand seemingly decreases through the route, perhaps increasing at one or two points as you get closer to Consett. I'd imagine the story is much the same for the latter two examples. Nevertheless, all of these will be gone post 2015, so new(er) vehicles are to be expected.

Most of our "Northern" vehicles will have to go anyway, in 2015. I don't think very many at all are fit for the minimum Euro category set. The DAFs will be some of the first to go, following on from the SPDs. I think the only reason why Go North East are clinging onto them is because they have such a high seating capacity, and in retrospect, they aren't actually "bad" buses. I rode one from Park Lane to my house while it snuck onto the Lime the other day, and it was a really nice ride. The sound they make is just great, there's very few words other than that... Only downside was the rattle it made while stationary.

(27 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]There's probably a reason why those services have the oldest kit, look how long it took a money maker like the 21 to get decent buses!

Decent? ;-)
An improvement on the Presidents, but perhaps not 'decent'... Hahah!
Give me a Hybrid E400 instead!

(28 Feb 2013, 12:57 am)Adam Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Obviously GNE are making a lot of money off of Bus Fares and the selling on of the Olympians and SPD's in the fleet and on top of that you have the GreenBus Fund so I can't see why most if not all see New Buses come the Winter.

Plus you have the cost of the new depot on top of that aswell and fuel costs. Looks like a Massive year ahead for GNE

You said it - 2013 will be a massive year for Go North East, and that's why 'most, if not all' of the new vehicles will be gained this year. We have a confirmed 80, but nothing more. For 2013, I think that we'll see just that. 2014 will see the rest of the upgrades.
Can straight away debunk the 5160 repaint - for it has just left Blaydon for Wardley on the 69A still very much in Pulse livery.

Also, the suggestion that the 67 will be a un-branded route, considering the timetable suggests it will interwork with the 69 in Wardley, if the 69 remains Pulse branded, so will the 67.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2211136@N22/?added=3

Feel Free to Join as an alternative to other groups

This group is for those interested in Buses in the NorthEast whether it be GNE/Stagecoach/Arriva or Independent Companies from across the region. This will also provide as alternative to the NorthEast Buses Forum, which is an Excellent Forum and well worth looking at. northeastbuses.co.uk/ or Bazza Houston's Facebook Group Go North East Bus Enthusiasts Group. www.facebook.com/groups/386629251416598/

This group is for anything with it's uploading photos to show other members, making posts on the latest News/Rumours floating about regarding E.g. GNE. There will be Fleet Updates which can be posted by anyone at anytime as I'm not going to strictly say I'm doing this as if it's my job to do so. This group will be a relaxed environment and a welcoming one at that.
East Durham MPD on the 38s/61s today... I saw it at 13:50ish while in school. So yeah, would have left Park Lane a moment or two beforehand on the 61s.

tom.robinson206

(28 Feb 2013, 7:31 am)Daniel wrote [ -> ]As for the MetroLink Solars, I'd have said that, having NL52 regs, they wouldn't be quite as bad as other Solars within the fleet. I believe that these NL52 regs will be staying post 2015 withdrawals, as they just scrape the minimum Euro standard. The customer demand is high enough for a double deck (or an enhanced higher seating capacity single deck) operation to be feasible though, so the likelihood of the MetroLink service being one that gains some of the 80 new buses this year is high in my opinion.

The 'MetroLink' needs single deckers because of Fatfield Bridge, so higher seating capacity single deck vehicles will be what the Solars will be replaced with if new vehicles are to arrive.
8307 Drifter on 36 today.
(28 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]
(28 Feb 2013, 7:31 am)Daniel wrote [ -> ]As for the MetroLink Solars, I'd have said that, having NL52 regs, they wouldn't be quite as bad as other Solars within the fleet. I believe that these NL52 regs will be staying post 2015 withdrawals, as they just scrape the minimum Euro standard. The customer demand is high enough for a double deck (or an enhanced higher seating capacity single deck) operation to be feasible though, so the likelihood of the MetroLink service being one that gains some of the 80 new buses this year is high in my opinion.

The 'MetroLink' needs single deckers because of Fatfield Bridge, so higher seating capacity single deck vehicles will be what the Solars will be replaced with if new vehicles are to arrive.

Before everything happened with the Red Arrows Citaros, Go North East told me on Open Line they were considering new double deckers for the service, and that all would be revealed by the end of 2012.
If they said that, surely they must have been willing to re-route those services to comply with that.
Obviously it didn't happen, and the timetable frequency increased instead, but the thought was there nevertheless. If it had happened, I could imagine that the services would have followed the current route in place owing to the closure of Fatfield Bridge?

I doubt the M1 would have its frequency increased, so the possibility is always there - no matter how unlikely it is!
Hi,
The X7 does anybody what type of bus this route will be using.
Thanks
Stew
(28 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm)2bagstew wrote [ -> ]Hi,
The X7 does anybody what type of bus this route will be using.
Thanks
Stew

Stew, it is unconfirmed at the moment. One of many rumours circulating is that the service will use Percy Main's yellow dual-door Renowns.
If not, it'd probably use Peterlee's existing MPDs.
Seeing a lot about the yellow dual door renonwns at Percy main on here, so what's the crack are they staying at Percy main and being branded or are they moving else where, if they are moving whats replacing them and will the replacements be branded eventually for the 1, or is the whole branding thing just another gne lie ????
(28 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm)Wellsey18 wrote [ -> ]Seeing a lot about the yellow dual door renonwns at Percy main on here, so what's the crack are they staying at Percy main and being branded or are they moving else where, if they are moving whats replacing them and will the replacements be branded eventually for the 1, or is the whole branding thing just another gne lie ????

A lot of us just pass on the common speculation from other sources, including myself in my "Daily Dosages". One current rumour is that they're moving to Peterlee for the X7 service, but a hell of a lot of people disagree with that too (owing to Peterlee not being a full depot etc).
As I said yesterday, Percy Main are said to be receiving some ex-Pulse Renowns, which will be in Northern livery. These could accomodate for the loss of the yellow dual-door ones. Similarly, Winlaton have already received some replacements for the dual-door B10BLEs they'd be losing if the above rumour were true - the ex-Crusader ones! These are going into Northern livery though, which would mean that the Pulse brand would be getting revoked. Is it possible that the PVR drops below six in the upcoming changes? If so, explains why the brand is being pulled!
Another thing is i would like to see go north east buy some more versas as well, think they would be suitable for a few Percy,main routes as well!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12