North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I've had good reason for being so quiet this evening and tonight... I'm unsure if it will work, but I'm trying to create a sort of "interactive online fleet list" for Go North East. This will be an exclusive feature for the North East Buses community.

To do this, the best way I could think of doing it was by making a collection on Flickr which could hold together all of the buses by brand. Above, I did say it was an 'exclusive feature', but as we all know, collections can be accessed publicly. Judging my my account's statistics alone, I can confirm that very few people actually rake through sets and collections, so yeah... At the moment, it contains every branded bus (excluding "Crusader", "Northern", "Yellow Bus", plain vehicles and "Pulse" - though Pulse does have a Northern vehicle in it at the moment) by set, and those sets contain one of the best photos I have of the vehicles within that brand. Some of them are from my early days of photography, and so they are not idealistic photos and will be replaced eventually. In composing these sets, I realised how I was short of so many vehicles for particular sets...

So, my plan:

For the remaining days of my half term break, I'm going to try and find at least 50% of the vehicles I have on my list to find. Given that I have 223 on my list, this will prove to be quite a difficult task... It could be easily achieved by sitting around in a bus station all day taking photos of every bus that goes by, but I really do dislike bus station shots as they do get really repetetive and boring - so I'm going to try and vary all of the shots.

I really do feel that I should be trying to achieve some of the older vehicles rather than the newly allocated vehicles. These stand a chance of being replaced soon, so it'd be nice to have them all as a set so they can be archived for the future. With that in mind, the brands below should be coming first:
- North Tyne Links
- Washington Street Shuttle
- Lime
- The OK Way
- SoccerBus (The Prestige in this set that I need to try and find is already meant to be withdrawn, so I need to find this one urgently)
- East Durham
- Fab Fifty Seven
- Pulse
- Tynedale Links
- Venture

My plans for the future:

Complete 100% of the list. On all of my trips out, I'll try and carry around this piece of paper with me to try and jog my memory with what I need to find at a particular place. Of course, I'm bound to forget this piece of paper I have printed out, so I'll miss out on some photos some days. I suspect 100% completion won't be done until the summer holidays at the very earliest.

Replace the not-so-good photos. There are quite a few in there, and they do need replacing. When I've completed the list, I'll work on replacing those photos with much better photos, in much more imaginative places than they're at at present.

Replace the odd allocation photos with the vehicles on. I really do hope to get this done swiftly. I had no intention of including these, but I realised I had to given that I'd be way too many short and it'd be stupid to even propose the idea.

If you have any questions, do feel free to ask them below and I'll try and explain in more detail what I've probably already tried to go through... It's 00:35am, I shouldn't be writing this stuff at this time, I swear!

Sneak Peak:

Collection
Doxford Clipper - a completed set
Sunderland Connect - a completed set

EDIT: Now doesn't contain Red Kite either - just deleted it by accident :L Hahh, oh dear.
Progress has been made already - "Northern", "Yellow Bus" and "Red Kite" added.
I've now composed myself a list of every vehicle that I need to find - excluding the plain ones that only have a base colour. "Crusader" will come when the Citaros enter service.
A summary of February 19th...

Let's start off with the odd allocations!

- "Whey Aye Five 0" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar working "Waggonway" service 28A (Tom's North East Bus Photos)
- "Nexus" branded Optare Solo SR working "QuayLink" service Q2 (Tom's North East Bus Photos)
- "Fab Fifty Six" branded Scania L94UB/Wright Solar working "Doxford Clipper" service 39 (danielgrahamm)
- "Lambton Worm" branded DAF SB220GS/Plaxton Prestige working "Lime" service 8 (danielgrahamm)
- "Silver Arrows" branded Citaro working service X3 (danielgrahamm)
- "Pulse" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown working "Blaydon Racers" service 49 (danielgrahamm)
- "Route 19" branded SPD working "DFDS Seaways" service 327 (danielgrahamm)
- Ex-"Crusader" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown working "Highwayman" service 98A (Kuyoyo)
- "Toon Link" branded Volvo B7RLE/Wright Eclipse working "Pulse" service 69 (Kuyoyo)
- "Washington Street Shuttle" branded Transbus MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer working "MetroLink" service M1 (ADAM'S NORTHEAST BUSPHOTOS)

In other news, 4944 is still with Percy Main and was spotted working "Cobalt Clipper" service 309 yesterday. This can be seen here (Tom's North East Bus Photos)

Demonstrator 9133 is still with Go North East, working Stanley's "Diamond" service 43/44. Several enthusiasts were out yesterday, as 9133 is said to be going to depart the fleet any day now. An example of a photo taken yesterday can be seen by clicking here (danielgrahamm)

Finally, Go North East operated Metro replacement work between Byker and North Shields continues - some photos can be viewed below:
- 6020 (S.Blair250)
- 3886 (S.Blair250)
- 6013 (Kuyoyo)
- 3966 (Kuyoyo)
- 3871 (Kuyoyo)
- 6026 (Kuyoyo)
- 6023 (Kuyoyo)

tom.robinson206

Has there been a fare increase somewhere, loads of people have been talking about it on the GNE Facebook page, but I haven't seen it advertised on the Facebook page?
(20 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]Has there been a fare increase somewhere, loads of people have been talking about it on the GNE Facebook page, but I haven't seen it advertised on the Facebook page?

Some of the town and city zone single fares have gone up to £1.40 from £1.30, something mentioned about it on the Waggonway and the Angel but I haven't read the sign, no mention of it at all or pre-warning on the GNE Facebook or website.

Looks like the singles have also gone up on the Saltwell Park and Orbit services

tom.robinson206

(20 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]
(20 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm)tom.robinson206 wrote [ -> ]Has there been a fare increase somewhere, loads of people have been talking about it on the GNE Facebook page, but I haven't seen it advertised on the Facebook page?

Some of the town and city zone single fares have gone up to £1.40 from £1.30, something mentioned about it on the Waggonway and the Angel but I haven't read the sign, no mention of it at all or pre-warning on the GNE Facebook or website.

Looks like the singles have also gone up on the Saltwell Park and Orbit services

I think that from some of the responses, the Saltwell Park and Orbit prices are now £1.45 (and £1.95 for an 'Orbit Switcha').

tom.robinson206

(20 Feb 2013, 4:57 pm)Liam wrote [ -> ]The Toon Link buses had a poster about the fares between Blaydon and Winlaton increasing by 5p following a 12 months freeze. These posters have been on for the last 4 weeks or so.

Haven't saw any adverts on the Gateshead-based buses that I've used recently. At least 9/10 times it's one of those 'Newcastle in your pocket' adverts.
Hi I'm new to the forumSmile

I can also confirm these posters are up on the Venture services in Consett
(20 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm)lukebateson wrote [ -> ]Hi I'm new to the forumSmile

Welcome to North East Buses, Luke! It would seem that these price changes are almost universal on Go North East's services then - seems strange that it hasn't been advertised anywhere bar the buses themselves!
(20 Feb 2013, 7:09 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]

Welcome to North East Buses, Luke! It would seem that these price changes are almost universal on Go North East's services then - seems strange that it hasn't been advertised anywhere bar the buses themselves!

I guess its the best place!
(20 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]

True, but perhaps would be helpful on their website and on their social media pages too!
(20 Feb 2013, 7:55 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]

True, but perhaps would be helpful on their website and on their social media pages too!

Just having a bit of fun, but seriously would Sainsburys or Tesco's advertise price increases on their websites?

tom.robinson206

(20 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Just having a bit of fun, but seriously would Sainsburys or Tesco's advertise price increases on their websites?

Suppose not, but it would be handy to know, considering that so far it only seems to be a few fares that have changed.
(20 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]
(20 Feb 2013, 7:55 pm)Daniel wrote [ -> ]

Just having a bit of fun, but seriously would Sainsburys or Tesco's advertise price increases on their websites?

You've a point there... :L
I think GNE should have a more simplistic ticketing system as they do have millions of tickets, and even Bus Drivers are confused by them not just passenger.

E.g. Yesterday I asked for Purple Day Pass, and driver said is that the £4.50 one for Newcastle, he didn't have a clue, as for the pricing it is rediculious.

A single from Washington Galleries to Lambton or anywhere else in Washington is £1.40 which I think is Expensive for the sake of a 2 minute Journey.

So here is what I propose

Keep the Standard Single Ticket at £1.40
Also keep DaySavers as Some people make more than 1 journey E.g. Washington Area.

As for the Day Tickets/Day Rover I think they should do away with them and just have one Ticket that does everything Bus/Metro/Ferry basically a DayRover equilivant but at a cheaper more reasonable price. £5.00, As I think £6.80 is over the top.

Obviously there is a Problem with this, That being Nexus and also the other NE bus companies Arriva and Stagecoach, who I think are actually cheaper than GNE.

As for the Weekly/Monthly/Yearly Tickets keep them as they are at a Fixed price.

I think If GNE were to do this it would be less confusing for Drivers and Passengers and on top of that I think GNE could make more profit on a Yearly basis by doing this.

But will GNE do that, No of course they won't because they like everything so complicated and confusing so not even they understand it.

Onto another situation.

Does anyone know when the new Geminis will be back in Service on the TEN
(20 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm)gtomlinson wrote [ -> ]

No fares have increased from £1.30 to £1.40 - 5p has been added to some fares.

Morrisons,Tesco et al don't have notices outside the shops telling customers their prices have gone up so why should Go North East tell anyone other than those who travel on the buses?

tom.robinson206

(20 Feb 2013, 9:32 pm)busmanT wrote [ -> ]No fares have increased from £1.30 to £1.40 - 5p has been added to some fares.

Morrisons,Tesco et al don't have notices outside the shops telling customers their prices have gone up so why should Go North East tell anyone other than those who travel on the buses?

No, they don't, but this isn't about supermarkets - anyway, when most people go to visit a supermarket, they'd take credit cards and/or more than sufficient money, because it's more expensive (i.e. going for a big shop).

All I'm trying to say is, it wasn't advertised on any of the buses I've used and it would be handy to know, as well as benefit other people who weren't aware, but could easily find out via social media. There are over 50,000 people who've 'liked' the GNE Facebook Page, so it would clearly extend to a much larger target audience than one bus.

I don't know why you have a problem with advertising via social media? It wouldn't be that time-consuming to put up one post regarding fare changes and it would benefit lots of people, (obviously not all 50,000+, but those affected). The Facebook page and website are there for the purpose of informing - and informing passengers of fare changes would therefore meet the purpose of the page/website, so what's wrong with that?
Yesterday's daily dosage:

Given that no new Go North East photos were added to Flickr by my contacts, there is very little to talk about... So, to keep up the daily dosage posts, I'll yap on a bit about the interactive fleet list thing!

The idea - though I've had no feedback - about the interactive fleet list seems to have shot off quite well. Yesterday, though I only uploaded a few items to Flickr, I received the most amount of views I've ever received within one day:
http://d.pr/i/pbSJ

It must be noted that my 'Collections' had a view count of 30, and my 'Sets' had a view count of 111 - which is phenomonal. This shows that something about the idea works, right?

I feel that I ought to clear up a little confusion, which was probably caused by me being not-so-clear in my original post about the idea. When all of the "Buses By Brand" sets are completed, I will create one final set - "Buses by Fleet Number". This will be the fleet list, but the other sets will remain too. Whenever an update occurs (i.e. the vehicle moves to a different depot), it will be updated accordingly in both sets. Direct updates will be brought to you on here for your convenience too! Wink

PS: I'm on the buses today, so I'm bound to have a few things to talk about in today's daily dosage! ;-)
The northen branded scania is on the 9, just about to go over the bridge in sunderland, looks smart. 9:55am.. Time seen
X7 back on VOSA

PB0002400/484 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange and Peterlee Bus Station given service number X7 effective from 24-Mar-2013. To amend Timetable.

PB0002400/485 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Peterlee Bus Station and Middlesbrough Bus Station given service number X7 effective from 24-Mar-2013. To amend Timetable.

Dunno y its on twice
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12