North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Re-post...as i edited my last post 4 times.

The new Sun FM radio brand looks quite good, better than i thought it would be...

Will that Go North East logo be used on all of the red buses in the fleet?
(05 Sep 2015, 4:43 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]I think that looks far superior to any of the previous Metro Radio-liveried buses we've had.

Hope when you say 'previous' you mean before 6133 Tongue The current livery is fantastic, bright and eye catching.
(05 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]I'm a B10M virgin (well, I'm a virgin anyway, but that's not strictly on-topic is it Rolleyes).

Definitely one of my favourite vehicle types from yesteryear... Perhaps what you'd expect from me, being a Sunderland lad!
(05 Sep 2015, 4:55 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Definitely one of my favourite vehicle types from yesteryear... Perhaps what you'd expect from me, being a Sunderland lad!

He does have some taste  Angel
I miss driving them... Although didn't get chance with any ZF versions.
(05 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]He does have some taste  Angel

Blue panda pop and cheesy chips I imagine.
(05 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]He does have some taste  Angel

We all have some taste..! Some of us just choose not to get all sentimental about the old stuff (a pop at Marcus given he had a Mackem dig!) Tongue

Forever torn between what I prefer as a customer (modern day vehicles with all the added extras like power sockets) and what I prefer as an enthusiast (older vehicles which are often a lot more comfortable and enjoyable to ride)...
(05 Sep 2015, 5:06 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]We all have some taste..! Some of us just choose not to get all sentimental about the old stuff (a pop at Marcus given he had a Mackem dig!) Tongue

Forever torn between what I prefer as a customer (modern day vehicles with all the added extras like power sockets) and what I prefer as an enthusiast (older vehicles which are often a lot more comfortable and enjoyable to ride)...

I know where my money would go...
(05 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]They're not as good as the real B10BLEs. Wink

Similar to how Volvo Olympians aren't as good as the real Leyland type? Wink
(05 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Similar to how Volvo Olympians aren't as good as the real Leyland type? Wink

Oh you!  Big Grin
I have never really had the chance to ride a Leyland Olympian although i did get to ride some of the Alexander examples Go North East had (3949 etc) and some of the Palatines (3806 especially as it was based at Stanley). Would like a ride on an ECW at some point though.
(05 Sep 2015, 5:13 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]I have never really had the chance to ride a Leyland Olympian although i did get to ride some of the Alexander examples Go North East had (3949 etc) and some of the Palatines (3806 especially as it was based at Stanley). Would like a ride on an ECW at some point though.
Fortunately for me there was some round my way although there appearances on my services were very occasional. I also used to stay at Marton Mere Holiday Camp In Blackpool and the 20 used to use Leyland Atlantean's then later became operated by ECW bodied Leyland Olympian's with other Olympian's often standing in. Would love to ride some proper Olympian's again but it's very hard now especially here in the North East.

Did get to ride one B10M (or whatever it was called that Dan was referring to) which was with Oakwood Travel in Blackpool but sadly it was only a short journey on Seafront service 12.
(05 Sep 2015, 5:22 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Fortunately for me there was some round my way although there appearances on my services were very occasional. I also used to stay at Marton Mere Holiday Camp In Blackpool and the 20 used to use Leyland Atlantean's then later became operated by ECW bodied Leyland Olympian's with other Olympian's often standing in. Would love to ride some proper Olympian's again but it's very hard now especially here in the North East.

Did get to ride one B10M (or whatever it was called that Dan was referring to) which was with Oakwood Travel in Blackpool but sadly it was only a short journey on Seafront service 12.

ECWs used to run on the 1 quite a bit too didn't they? Runs parallel with the tram route from Starr Gate to Fleetwood.

Go North East needn't have worried about mixed allocations with that service either. Had all sorts on that service, RoeECW and East Lancs Leyland Olympians along with Dennis Trident Lolynes
(05 Sep 2015, 5:32 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]ECWs used to run on the 1 quite a bit too didn't they? Runs parallel with the tram route from Starr Gate to Fleetwood.

Yeah they also used to operate Promenade Service 1 as well.
(05 Sep 2015, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Surprisingly didn't take too long for it to reveal itself!

[Image: 20978879918_4fbe28f857.jpg]Go North East: 6099 / NL63YJC by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 21156537992_415f2f7c57.jpg]Go North East: 6099 / NL63YJC by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

No idea where my previous has gone, but I have done Paperbus of this Livery with Yellow Swoops and minus SunFM Branding, also did one with FAB56 Sub-branding, see below.
(05 Sep 2015, 7:49 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]No idea where my previous has gone, but I have done Paperbus of this Livery with Yellow Swoops and minus SunFM Branding, also did one with FAB56 Sub-branding, see below.

Previous comment is still there.....no one has deleted it.
(05 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Previous comment is still there.....no one has deleted it.

Its not you know #ItsAConspiracy
(05 Sep 2015, 4:36 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Surprisingly didn't take too long for it to reveal itself!

[Image: 20978879918_4fbe28f857.jpg]Go North East: 6099 / NL63YJC by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

[Image: 21156537992_415f2f7c57.jpg]Go North East: 6099 / NL63YJC by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Almost like a throwback to the old 'Go Ahead' corporate livery. Aside from the duck (or whatever), it looks alright. From a distance, the SunFM logo sort of reminds me of the flag of the EU.
(05 Sep 2015, 7:49 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]No idea where my previous has gone, but I have done Paperbus of this Livery with Yellow Swoops and minus SunFM Branding, also did one with FAB56 Sub-branding, see below.

It's like someone's taken a GNE bus and mashed it up with a bit of Stagecoach with an Arriva swoop.

I prefer the pink and orange Metro radio buses. We met one coming the other way, today and it looked really lovely seen like that. Have seen it in Eldon Square a couple of times, but you don't get to appreciate the whole look from in there.

You wouldn't know you'd got a special livery from the front with this one. It's a wee bit disappointing for a supposedly whole bus design.
I'm old enough to remember travelling on Northern and GoAhead Northern - Leyland Atlantean's as I was growing up!
In fact I'm sure when I left school in 1992 ! and got my first job in Newcastle, a Leyland Atlantean was still a regular vehicle allocated to my route into Newcastle from Blaydon, as well as the then popular MCW Metrobus - however although all buses were/are very slow to climb Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Bank etc, the MCW Metrobus were absolutely terrible, in fact I remember being on a scholar service climbing Blaydon Bank and the bus came to a stop, the driver could not get it to move away again without slipping backwards down the bank, in the end he had to get a lot of kids off the bus, including myself and get us to walk up the hill to where the Huntsman Pub is, so that he could lighten the load enough for the bus to pull away up hill again!

The Leyland Olympian's tended to be on 648 & 649 to Gateshead. I Like these vehicles too, I remember the bi-folding entrance doors used to fly open with a bit of a bang! when the driver pressed the button to Open.

I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.
(05 Sep 2015, 9:09 pm)thetravelman wrote [ -> ]I'm old enough to remember travelling on Northern and GoAhead Northern - Leyland Atlantean's as I was growing up!
In fact I'm sure when I left school in 1992 ! and got my first job in Newcastle, a Leyland Atlantean was still a regular vehicle allocated to my route into Newcastle from Blaydon, as well as the then popular MCW Metrobus - however although all buses were/are very slow to climb Blaydon Bank and Shibdon Bank etc, the MCW Metrobus were absolutely terrible, in fact I remember being on a scholar service climbing Blaydon Bank and the bus came to a stop, the driver could not get it to move away again without slipping backwards down the bank, in the end he had to get a lot of kids off the bus, including myself and get us to walk up the hill to where the Huntsman Pub is, so that he could lighten the load enough for the bus to pull away up hill again!

The Leyland Olympian's tended to be on 648 & 649 to Gateshead. I Like these vehicles too, I remember the bi-folding entrance doors used to fly open with a bit of a bang! when the driver pressed the button to Open.

I also remember, while still attending Junior school when De-regulation came around, and Northern changed livery from Yellow to Red & White - that we were all taken into the school hall and had a talk about how Go Ahead Northern was now a private company and no longer governed by the local PTE authority, and that everyone should be respectful and behave themselves when travelling on any GoAhead Northern service.

My growing up Atlanteans were Hull blue buses!

Those bus backs were pretty distinctive.

ETA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss42V34bvmM
Not sure it warrants the emotive Snowpatrol stuff, mind!

Another edit for the Grandways ad. Now Sainsburys locals!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=273084422794875&set=o.285803718201751&type=1&theater