North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(15 Oct 2015, 5:08 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]No it would not cope Wink

Bit early to judge, but:

- Does this bus have a two way radio?

- Don't forget that whilst Riverside work the 10a / 10b and Hexham work the 10 during the day including a Sunday daytime, these all interwork during the evenings and as such, I don't think GNE would want it staying over at Hexham depot due to it being primarily used on the TTX.
Go North East

Services passing Cobalt Business Park are now suffering severe delays due to very heavy traffic on all approach roads in the area.
(15 Oct 2015, 5:13 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Bit early to judge, but:

- Does this bus have a two way radio?

- Don't forget that whilst Riverside work the 10a / 10b and Hexham work the 10 during the day including a Sunday daytime, these all interwork during the evenings and as such, I don't think GNE would want it staying over at Hexham depot due to it being primarily used on the TTX.

Could try it for a day Rolleyes
5284 looks rather smart, in it's new Durham Diamond livery.
(14 Oct 2015, 3:48 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]These vehicles were VOR when the rest were updated, so couldn't be touched. As they're now back on the road, they should be updated soon.

http://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/news/

Was 5251 the same as the number for the coaster is with a blue background
(15 Oct 2015, 7:21 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]Was 5251 the same as the number for the coaster is with a blue background

Yep.
Overall, I quite like the new ''Durham Diamond'' brand. I think it suits the Citaros quite well, although it's still incomplete with a few transfers due to be placed still. Looking forward to seeing how the ''Northern'' brand suits some of the Scania OmniDekkas. I still can't understand some people's opposition to the splitting of the 43/44/44A. Whilst I admit, the renumbering may seem illogical to some, but when you think about other services in the area (13/14/15/15A in Durham to go with the 16/16A), it makes perfect sense. Another point I'm seeing a lot of is that ''it's a long-established route''; granted, but it's comparable to the old Arriva X1/X2 in a way. Nobody is going to use it from end-to-end, as there is a quicker alternative, the 21. Similar with the 20 and the 50; both from South Shields to Durham, but the 50 is quicker. I think splitting the services will help with both reliability and punctuality, while some passengers might be frustrated at having to change, should they travel usually from one section of the route on one side of Stanley to the other, but in the long term, I think it will work.

Also, another point worth raising: 5284 and 5291 were the first two to be repainted, and now the first two to be branded. Coincidence?
(15 Oct 2015, 4:41 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Volvo B9 has a top speed of 55.92mph, and the StreetDeck (now) has a top speed of 55.9mph. Over the course of an hour and a half, this would equate to a difference of about 50 metres if I've done the maths correctly?

Obviously the rate of acceleration will differ, but I can't see that being the result of the StreetDeck being 20 minutes late (especially when he only lost 4 minutes on the southbound trip).

How when it was on the X21/309/310 it would only do 50mph
(15 Oct 2015, 7:25 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]How when it was on the X21/309/310 it would only do 50mph

The "(now)" could be a hint that it has recently been changed to do the increased speed?
(15 Oct 2015, 7:25 pm)dannygee wrote [ -> ]How when it was on the X21/309/310 it would only do 50mph

Wrights have been and played around with the settings.

Speed limiters are programmable (though not by the driver!), and a lower maximum than the legal limit of 90 kph (55.92mph) can be chosen by the operator.
(15 Oct 2015, 7:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Wrights have been and played around with the settings.

Can it run Crisis now? Wink
Who thinks it would be nice for Percy main to get some citaros back?
(15 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]Speed limiters are programmable (though not by the driver!), and a lower maximum than the legal limit of 90 kph (55.92mph) can be chosen by the operator.

Well how comes the driver of 7530 was doing 62mph when I was on the X18 a few month back and I was even sitting on the FWD seat above the nearside wheel?
(15 Oct 2015, 9:07 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Well how comes the driver of 7530 was doing 62mph when I was on the X18 a few month back and I was even sitting on the FWD seat above the nearside wheel?

By law, a speedometer must not under-read, but can over-read by 10% plus 6.25 mph.

Most car manufacturers will arrange that the speedometer over-reads (this gives the driver 'satisfaction').

In fact, variations in tyre wear (and pressures) can affect the actual figure indicated.

Of course the 'satisfaction' argument may not apply to commercial vehicles (and buses), but the law remains the same - 10% plus 6.25 mph is allowed.
(15 Oct 2015, 9:07 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Well how comes the driver of 7530 was doing 62mph when I was on the X18 a few month back and I was even sitting on the FWD seat above the nearside wheel?

I believe the Mercedes Citaros on service X7 can get to 60mph (possibly even more - but iirc the speed limit for buses is 60 on dual carriageways?)

I think anything which isn't limited to 62mph has to be fitted with seatbelts?
Speed limits for buses are 50mph on single carriageways, 60 mph on dual carriageways and 62.5mph (100kph) on motorways (although there are some variations for the motorway limits).
(15 Oct 2015, 9:25 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I believe the Mercedes Citaros on service X7 can get to 60mph (possibly even more - but iirc the speed limit for buses is 60 on dual carriageways?)

I think anything which isn't limited to 62mph has to be fitted with seatbelts?
Just to state that Dan is correct (and I am wrong WRT maximum legal speed for buses - my comments above apply to heavy goods
 vehicles):-

National speed limits.

Speed limiters.
The new Durham Diamond brand looks quite good, think it'll look better when it gets the route vinals on though.
(15 Oct 2015, 10:22 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]The new Diamond Durham brand looks quite good, think it'll look better when it gets the route vinals on though.

I think it is rather strange how they have missed the route details out at this stage.