North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
(17 Sep 2016, 4:14 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]It seems that GNE buses running into and out of Hexham have lost their next stop announcements - the last couple of weeks I don't think I've heard any.

Think it's due to the NSA's are being updated soon, no idea when they will be rolled out though.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
What do they use on the X71 on a Sunday, is it still Omnidekkas?
(17 Sep 2016, 6:02 pm)Wybus wrote [ -> ]What do they use on the X71 on a Sunday, is it still Omnidekkas?

Should be Streetlite 5419 and a red Citaro (5337/8)
(17 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ][Image: 29630157992_f78bb6f9ab.jpg]
Northern - 6131 - YN04GJE by aureolindn, on Flickr
I defy anyone to argue this, or the livery worn by 7092 etc, wouldn't make a better corporate livery than the current.
(17 Sep 2016, 6:31 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]I defy anyone to argue this, or the livery worn by 7092 etc, wouldn't make a better corporate livery than the current.

To be fair I think that metallic blue that was on one of the omnis Or that plum colour that was on the euro 6 merc would be nice  Tongue
(17 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Exactly as they are on all other services, if you've been on anything else with Next Stop Announcements!

The volume setting hasn't changed on the Hybrids either.

The only difference is that there are now advertising slides so that Go North East can promote various things (such as the availability of free Wi-Fi on that bus, jobs etc).

[Image: 531b583b59762048818bbd67a7c6636e.jpg]

[Image: c9d5a7055d34e280cefb7f0d022978cd.jpg]

When is the Q3 being done?
(17 Sep 2016, 6:03 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Should be Streetlite 5419 and a red Citaro (5337/8)
Occasionally both 5337 and 5338 or either and 5254 can turn up also. Used to be redkite streetlites, don't see why they are now using older buses instead of two newer, cleaner ones.
(15 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I'm struggling to remember the vehicle type or if there were a number that had similar - but apart from mini buses that had a push button bell embedded in the ceiling, there were some that had a long rubber strip, that ran the length of the vehicle.

Short people never had much joy, but at least it removed the need to have a bell push fitted to every third  grab rail!

Hull buses used to have them, when I was a kid. I was desperately trying and failing to explain them to big'un - along with the exact fare please ticket machines google wasn't helping at all. Then we spotted the green "stockton" bus, RDC 106R that's been doing runs at all the rallies this year and that has both!
(17 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm)busmanT wrote [ -> ]Every bus built since 2001 has had to comply with DDA(PSVAR) from new, with a certificate issued for each bus.
These buses must therefore comply with DDA - I think the bell pushes are on the seat backs.

Yeah, they do.
I wasn't sure if these specific vehicles had been adapted since build and/or had a special authorisation order attached.

The hand rail issue is an interesting one. Going by the photos, they don't have the vertical rail specified in the legislation.
(17 Sep 2016, 6:31 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]I defy anyone to argue this, or the livery worn by 7092 etc, wouldn'is merely make a betier corporate livery than the current.

I totally agree with you. I think 7092 looks particularly smart. We can only wait and see if 7099, the Scania tri-axle that has recently been transferred to Hexham will receive the same livery. That should be smart.
It is difficult to describe the current GNE livery as a corporate livery. It is merely red with a small Go North East logo for relief. In my opinion, a company the size of GNE should have a corporate livery to make it stand out in the crowd. Remember the first Northumbria Motor Services livery. Now that was a true corporate livery and emphasises the point i am trying to make. But that is just my personal opinion.
Surely the corporate livery is intended to be bland and fade into the background so to not distract from the branded route liveries.
(17 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm)Wybus wrote [ -> ]Surely the corporate livery is intended to be bland and fade into the background so to not distract from the branded route liveries.

As I said, this was just my own personal opinion. But I do feel that services that are operated by bland corporate liveried vehicles, seem to be second rate in comparison to the various route brands.
Due to the filming of the next 'Transformers' block buster movie in central newcastle, expect delays. Roads closed until midday etc.
Redkites no longer talk, only show text!
(18 Sep 2016, 11:40 am)Jamie M wrote [ -> ]Redkites no longer talk, only show text!

Red Kites have never talked! -  May I suggest a Parrot, Miner Bird or Budgie?!  .... Boom boom.....!
I don't mind the new Angel NSA. Professional tho there seems to be a huge delay between the announcement of the stop and the bus stopping (doors open tickets being sold...this is....)

Definitely not sitting at the rear on either deck, speakers are far too loud when you're near them. Fine elsewhere.

A solid B- grade Dan haha
(19 Sep 2016, 7:08 am)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]I don't mind the new Angel NSA. Professional tho there seems to be a huge delay between the announcement of the stop and the bus stopping (doors open tickets being sold...this is....)

Definitely not sitting at the rear on either deck, speakers are far too loud when you're near them. Fine elsewhere.

A solid B- grade Dan haha

Solid B? Ooh, I can't be having that!

The delay on the 'This is' announcement is being looked into by Hanover - it's not something we can control within the programme. It'll only change the slide to the 'This is' screen (with audio) once the doors are fully open. What we've proposed, and have yet to trial, is the announcement being triggered when the doors are opening. If there's a similar delay to it being picked up as there is at the moment, it should announce it in reality just as the doors have opened.

I had a short ride between Gateshead and Newcastle on an Angel on Saturday, and sat on the rear 'quadrant' of seats on the lower-deck, right next to a speaker. I found that when the bus was completely silent (as it is when stationary), it was a touch too loud, but if you were passing a stop and hadn't actually stopped at it, it was spot on. As you say, it's fine when you don't sit right underneath a speaker, so it's a bit of a difficult one.

At least we haven't lost you completely to the X12..!
(19 Sep 2016, 7:24 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Solid B? Ooh, I can't be having that!

The delay on the 'This is' announcement is being looked into by Hanover - it's not something we can control within the programme. It'll only change the slide to the 'This is' screen (with audio) once the doors are fully open. What we've proposed, and have yet to trial, is the announcement being triggered when the doors are opening. If there's a similar delay to it being picked up as there is at the moment, it should announce it in reality just as the doors have opened.

I had a short ride between Gateshead and Newcastle on an Angel on Saturday, and sat on the rear 'quadrant' of seats on the lower-deck, right next to a speaker. I found that when the bus was completely silent (as it is when stationary), it was a touch too loud, but if you were passing a stop and hadn't actually stopped at it, it was spot on. As you say, it's fine when you don't sit right underneath a speaker, so it's a bit of a difficult one.

At least we haven't lost you completely to the X12..!

Seen your post about the Angel next stop announcements so I decided to go out and give them a try on a Chester le Street to Durham (and return) journey this afternoon.

Everything was perfect for me:

Volume was fine, announcements were clear and concise. The on screen information was good and the blue customer contact page along with the red wifi page was a nice refresh from looking at a green screen.
I liked the audio reminders of the service (route) details and the availability of wifi.

There was a minor issue on my outward journey but it was not replicated on the return so it looked like a vehicle specific rather than the system problem. The minor issue was, as the driver closed the doors the announcement said “This is, next stop is (followed by name of next stop).” I can’t remember the fleet number of the bus but it was about 14.35 on a Chester le Street to Durham. My return bus was 6066 and that was perfect it even announced St Leonards School which sometimes did not always happen with the old announcements.
(18 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm)Venturego wrote [ -> ]Red Kites have never talked! -  May I suggest a Parrot, Miner Bird or Budgie?!  .... Boom boom.....!

They'd have I've heared them on the 45 5411
(19 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote [ -> ]Seen your post about the Angel next stop announcements so I decided to go out and give them a try on a Chester le Street to Durham (and return) journey this afternoon.

Everything was perfect for me:

Volume was fine, announcements were clear and concise. The on screen information was good and the blue customer contact page along with the red wifi page was a nice refresh from looking at a green screen.
I liked the audio reminders of the service (route) details and the availability of wifi.

There was a minor issue on my outward journey but it was not replicated on the return so it looked like a vehicle specific rather than the system problem. The minor issue was, as the driver closed the doors the announcement said “This is, next stop is (followed by name of next stop).” I can’t remember the fleet number of the bus but it was about 14.35 on a Chester le Street to Durham. My return bus was 6066 and that was perfect it even announced St Leonards School which sometimes did not always happen with the old announcements.

Good stuff - pleased you liked them!  Smile

We're using the TFT monitors now more than we ever have done before, and it's all about making the buses as accessible as possible. The occasional audio reminders of the service number and terminus point gives partially sighted passengers that added confidence that they're on the correct service, heading to the right place.

The inclusion of the red Wi-Fi and green 'talking bus' slides, showing the roundrels, adds to the synergy of the brand. The roundrels are being shown on all marketing materials now - whether it be vinyls on the bus, Social Media advertising, or the printed timetables on the buses. I quite like those pages, and we're trying out a few others too. It was difficult to include them on the Angel as there's not many stops where there's a large-ish distance - but I think they'll definitely work a lot better on the likes of the TEN and Red Arrows.

The Red Arrows already has some advertising slides, but they were rather text-heavy and remained in the same style as the normal Next Stop announcement screens, so weren't particularly eye-catching. The new style will be rolled out to the Red Arrows and Connections4 once other outstanding brands have been completed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32