North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
The 26/27 tracking on the app has been very erratic for a year or more now
(09 Jan 2020, 5:01 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]On a 310 from Haymarket - I forgot how horribly noisy these engines are! The idling is like some old tractor.
I guess it’s masking the service/destination being announced twice at each stop though which is almost as annoying.
My question though is about the stop after Sandyford Rd/Civic Centre (which wasn’t announced, nor was St Mary’s Place) - it’s been named Sandyford Rd-Council Offices.
Which council offices are these?
Grunt grunt grunt grunt. 

Enough for me to sit upstairs, even when my knees are stiff.
(09 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Grunt grunt grunt grunt. 

I'd still rather be on one of them than a Streetlite!
(09 Jan 2020, 5:01 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]On a 310 from Haymarket - I forgot how horribly noisy these engines are! The idling is like some old tractor.
I guess it’s masking the service/destination being announced twice at each stop though which is almost as annoying.
My question though is about the stop after Sandyford Rd/Civic Centre (which wasn’t announced, nor was St Mary’s Place) - it’s been named Sandyford Rd-Council Offices.
Which council offices are these?
B9s are perfectly fine and unless you were on a dodgy one, the D9B just makes more of a humming sound than anything.

Still very surprised that these along with the Fab 56 B9s weren't replaced with StreetDecks with all of the B9s going X-Lines. The B9s in my opinion are more suitable than the StreetDecks particularly on the extended X21 as well as the X47/X70/X71.
(09 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]B9s are perfectly fine and unless you were on a dodgy one, the D9B just makes more of a humming sound than anything.

Still very surprised that these along with the Fab 56 B9s weren't replaced with StreetDecks with all of the B9s going X-Lines. The B9s in my opinion are more suitable than the StreetDecks particularly on the extended X21 as well as the X47/X70/X71.

Any chance of hearing one your famous engine impressions?
(09 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]B9s are perfectly fine and unless you were on a dodgy one, the D9B just makes more of a humming sound than anything.

I must admit, I do find the noise to be quite relaxing, it's quite a nice rumble!
The thing is though, the B9s feel very cramped compared to the StreetDecks, I really wouldn't like to spend 2 hours on one

The main issue with the StreetDecks is they're just not suited for the motorway parts of the X21, granted, the 67 plates are infinitely better than the 16 plates, but the engine still sounds like it's on the rev limiter. It seems like it's more of a gearing issue than anything.

The only other issue is the ride is quite firm, but it doesn't help that the roads round here are absolutely dreadful.

Bloody hell, they not even been delivered and tour already slating them
(09 Jan 2020, 6:39 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Grunt grunt grunt grunt. 

That’s a good impression of them. I’d hate to be stuck on them all the way to the coast. I had a light headache by the time I got off just after Chillingham Rd.

Probably not helped that I’m not long back from London, where buses are lovely and peaceful, most of them with just a nice hybrid electric motor whine.
Then you come back up here to noisy clattering conventional diesels - with only one door for both boarding and alighting. Sad 
Ohhh how I wish we had London spec buses, haha.   ;D
(09 Jan 2020, 10:08 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Bloody hell, they not even been delivered and tour already slating them

The issue is that there isn't really one bus that would be perfect for routes like the X21 which operate in a busy city centre, on a motorway, poor quality fast A roads, and also very tight estates.

There are always going to be compromises, do I think the StreetDeck is the perfect bus? No, but I do think it compromises the least.

The E400 would be a solid second choice, but as I've said in the past, having a low height vehicle on a route that doesn't need it is a compromise too much. The stealth B5s are too uncomfortable and too loud, the B9s are too cramped, a small part of me quite likes the Omnidekkas, but they're too rattly and 'old' for a flagship service, and don't even get me started on the B7s!

Since I've basically gone through all the double deckers, I might as well go through the things I don't like about the single deckers as well!
The Streetlites rattle far too much, the E200's creaky windows make them unbearable to ride, the Citaro's seats are quite possibly the worst seats I've ever had the displeasure of sitting on, the Versas feel like they're about to fall apart, same with the Omnicitys, the L94s are way past their sell by date (although still better than some newer vehicles!), and I will not allow myself to dislike a Solo (in particular the M710s, they are hilarious)
First Ride on the New Enviro 400, happened to be on the X31 late boards (past 2 times I've managed to get the spare on the X30!) and I must say they feel, look and sound so much better than the streetdecks.

They feel very premium, and the new red interior is far superior to the previous incarnations

Wasn't a huge fan of the Spare (6336), but appreciate its a spare and there for cover purposes, with the same/similar features.
(09 Jan 2020, 11:04 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote [ -> ]First Ride on the New Enviro 400, happened to be on the X31 late boards (past 2 times I've managed to get the spare on the X30!) and I must say they feel, look and sound so much better than the streetdecks.

They feel very premium, and the new red interior is far superior to the previous incarnations

Wasn't a huge fan of the Spare (6336), but appreciate its a spare and there for cover purposes, with the same/similar features.

6336 is horrendous, it has the loudest windscreen wiper motor I've ever heard! (All E400s are bad, but that one is horrendous)

I'm coming round to the look of the new seats, although I still find the seats themselves pretty uncomfortable.

In terms of engine noise, there's no doubt that the E400 is a lot quieter than the StreetDecks, but all 3 of the new E400s are incredibly creaky over bumps (mostly because of those awful windows), whereas only a few of the StreetDecks seem to be rattly. 

Since I haven't tried them both on the same route, I can't really comment on the ride quality, but I can't tell that much of a difference between them.

I think if GNE had ordered the E400s with V3 seats and the standard windows, it would have been nearly flawless

If I'm being honest, my main gripe with the E400s is the low height, but I understand that's a major feature if it's needed for the route, which it is with the X30.
(08 Jan 2020, 5:55 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I'm on one of the Durham Diamond Streetlites and just noticed the backs of some of the seats have what look like screw caps on the back of them. Does anyone know what the reason for these are?[Image: caa9a432f45cef413b6bf1c60f31bc3b.jpg]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Probably nothing more sinister than a neat way of holding the seat backs on securely where the original fixing has failed, become damaged, or is weakened - after a while the friction clips either get broken, or lose their efficacy - so back to good old screws and caps it is Smile
ADL Enviro400 6337 has entered service at Consett - on services X47 and X70/X71 today.
(10 Jan 2020, 8:52 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]ADL Enviro400 6337 has entered service at Consett - on services X47 and X70/X71 today.

Excellent, no doubt 5485 be transferring to Deptford this weekend?

(09 Jan 2020, 10:19 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]That’s a good impression of them. I’d hate to be stuck on them all the way to the coast. I had a light headache by the time I got off just after Chillingham Rd.

Probably not helped that I’m not long back from London, where buses are lovely and peaceful, most of them with just a nice hybrid electric motor whine.
Then you come back up here to noisy clattering conventional diesels - with only one door for both boarding and alighting. Sad 
Ohhh how I wish we had London spec buses, haha
.   ;D
We are not well equipped for dual door (or tri-door), also i believe there was little difference on boarding times between single and dual doors on the 21 when the vykings were allocated. I really hope we never get London spec, they are designed for city running, not ideal for the type of services that operate up here!
(10 Jan 2020, 10:41 am)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Excellent, no doubt 5485 be transferring to Deptford this weekend?

We are not well equipped for dual door (or tri-door), also i believe there was little difference on boarding times between single and dual doors on the 21 when the vykings were allocated. I really hope we never get London spec, they are designed for city running, not ideal for the type of services that operate up here!

The only positive to London spec vehicles is the staircase!
(10 Jan 2020, 8:52 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]ADL Enviro400 6337 has entered service at Consett - on services X47 and X70/X71 today.
Is it still out Dan? I can't see it tracking
(10 Jan 2020, 11:54 am)busmanT wrote [ -> ]Is it still out Dan? I can't see it tracking

Unfortunately not - replaced by 6121

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10 Jan 2020, 11:55 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Unfortunately not - replaced by 6121

Crikey! That didn't last long!
(10 Jan 2020, 11:55 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Unfortunately not - replaced by 6121

Thanks, saves a trip out!
I wasn’t sure if it just wasn’t tracking, as there are quite a few buses that don’t
(10 Jan 2020, 10:41 am)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Excellent, no doubt 5485 be transferring to Deptford this weekend?

Not to mention that most of our bus stations aren't set up to cater for dual door.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28