North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(12 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]How do you know what the situation will be like in 10 years?
Will electricity even be the fuel of choice?

Hydrogen
(12 Jan 2020, 5:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I'm not saying I do, only that we've known for years that the technology used in the B5s wasn't the best, whereas the technology used in the Yutongs has proved to be very reliable. Just look at how many they have in service in China!

My guess is that for personal transport Battery EVs will become the most popular, but for the likes of public transport Hydrogen EVs will be the choice. Purely down to the time it takes to refill with Hydrogen compared to the time it takes to charge a battery. Either way, I do think electricity will be the fuel of choice, with Diesel PHEVs being in use for coach services that can go full EV when in cities

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

So youre not saying you do, but you do reckon that 'technology now is at a point where it won't have to be removed in 10 years' 

(12 Jan 2020, 5:19 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Hydrogen

If someone told me 10 years ago, that diesel would be worse than unleaded, I wouldn't have believed them. 
If someone told me in the years prior to that, that 4* would be obsolete, I wouldn't have believed them.

Hydrogen may be the fuel of choice with public transport if Bamford Bus get their way!
(12 Jan 2020, 12:25 am)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Most people don't want to stand. Many people can't.

Okay. Equally most people can stand though and there’s still plenty of seats for those who can’t/don’t want to. Seating capacity varies from vehicle to vehicle anyway along with whether vehicles have longer or shorter wheelbases so exit doors reducing seating capacity by 2-4 seats doesn’t have to cause a major issue. 
Most people would prefer to be able to board public transport and stand comfortably with a little room rather than be squashed like sardines and have people brushing tightly passed them to alight.

It’s a bit like the new Metro fleet. It’s thankfully getting longitudinal seating so that there’s more standing room and space to move at peak periods within the urban core where services are at their busiest. Yes the vehicles aren't packed all of the time but they should be suitable and able to deal with heavier loads as comfortably as possible during those peak periods / in the city areas.
(10 Jan 2020, 11:31 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Jeff Hodgson seems to of confirmed an order for E400 for the X1 facebook....thanks to Mr Duffys post

Been confirmed on MG’s Twitter new buses that E400’s are on order with a projected delivery of April/May

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
(12 Jan 2020, 6:12 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [ -> ]Been confirmed on MG’s Twitter new buses that E400’s are on order with a projected delivery of April/May

Probables have the exact same features as the ones on the X30.

Wonder if they'll use the smart mirrors?
(12 Jan 2020, 6:41 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Probables have the exact same features as the ones on the X30.

Wonder if they'll use the smart mirrors?
Think it was mentioned that the cost outweighs the benefit of smart mirrors. And in all reality having sat in the E200 that Consett had for famil prior to E400s arriving, it wasn’t that great compared to normal mirrors.

(12 Jan 2020, 6:12 pm)TEN 6083 wrote [ -> ]Been confirmed on MG’s Twitter new buses that E400’s are on order with a projected delivery of April/May

Probably about the same time as the streetdecks as well.

And the X9/X10 will be a purple variant
(12 Jan 2020, 6:56 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]And the X9/X10 will be a purple variant

That confirmed? I thought we already had a purple varient...
(12 Jan 2020, 7:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]That confirmed? I thought we already had a purple varient...

No that burgundy. MG has confirmed and the xline map also shows the colours of each Xline route. Although X5/X15 are yellow......

This is the xline map that was shared by MG[Image: a024492c682d56c1218a9bc3407ecac7.jpg]

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
(12 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]No that burgundy. MG has confirmed and the xline map also shows the colours of each Xline route. Although X5/X15 are yellow......

This is the xline map that was shared by MG[Image: a024492c682d56c1218a9bc3407ecac7.jpg]

I wonder if they'll have an express service between Durham and Stanley at any point. To be fair though, the 16 doesn't really take too long!
(12 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]No that burgundy. MG has confirmed and the xline map also shows the colours of each Xline route. Although X5/X15 are yellow......

Apologies, I thought purple had been used...

I see I was correct about the X84/X85 being orange, I would've thought so even if blue wasn't already used for the X21. X88 will be red as it will use X1 buses. I notice green is used a lot of times...

I would like to see the X45/X46/X47 feature Red Kite sub-branding, likewise the X84/X85 Tynedale Express sub-branding.
(12 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Apologies, I thought purple had been used...

I see I was correct about the X84/X85 being orange, I would've thought so even if blue wasn't already used for the X21. X88 will be red as it will use X1 buses. I notice green is used a lot of times...

I would like to see the X45/X46/X47 feature Red Kite sub-branding, likewise the X84/X85 Tynedale Express sub-branding.

Hasn't it already been confirmed that they'll lose the Red Kite sub branding but feature a red kite on the silhouette?

I personally despised the Red Kite branding, not because of the idea, but because of those bloody eyes!
(12 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Apologies, I thought purple had been used...

I doubt there will be any sub branding and the xline livery will stay consistent throughout. Although there may be differences to the skyline.

Dont forget there are 2 colours on the xline livery. X20 and X6/7 use pink and burgandy. X84/X85 probs be orange and blue. X1 if going by the updated NSA, will be red and orange. Possibly purple and pink for X9/X10

(12 Jan 2020, 8:03 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Hasn't it already been confirmed that they'll lose the Red Kite sub branding but feature a red kite on the silhouette?

I personally despised the Red Kite branding, not because of the idea, but because of those bloody eyes!

I like the idea of Red Kite and Tynedale Express sub-branding to keep some identity, even if only small branding, like Red Kites and Tynedale buildings/landmarks in the silhouettes. Yes, the eyes are certainly quite noticeable and maybe a little terrifying! 

I see the X39 and X66 are not going X-lines.
(12 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I wonder if they'll have an express service between Durham and Stanley at any point. To be fair though, the 16 doesn't really take too long!

But it does follow the broad route you'd take in a car so by that criteria alone, they can stick an 'X' on the front if they'd like!
(12 Jan 2020, 8:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]I like the idea of Red Kite and Tynedale Express sub-branding to keep some identity, even if only small branding, like Red Kites and Tynedale buildings/landmarks in the silhouettes. Yes, the eyes are certainly quite noticeable and maybe a little terrifying! 

I see the X39 and X66 are not going X-lines.
Nope doesn't sound like it. Although X39 only runs few times a day. Same as X81

(12 Jan 2020, 8:09 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]But it does follow the broad route you'd take in a car so by that criteria alone, they can stick an 'X' on the front if they'd like!

That line really infuriated me.

Just because a route is 'broadly' the same route you would take in a car doesn't mean it's express.
It should only be express if it's faster than another bus, otherwise it's just a STANDARD service! 
By that logic, for a route to not be express, it would have to take a 10 mile detour

Seems to me like it's some marketing crap excuse so they can make it seem better than it is
(12 Jan 2020, 8:06 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]I doubt there will be any sub branding and the xline livery will stay consistent throughout. Although there may be differences to the skyline.

Dont forget there are 2 colours on the xline livery. X20 and X6/7 use pink and burgandy. X84/X85 probs be orange and blue. X1 if going by the updated NSA, will be red and orange. Possibly purple and pink for X9/X10.

Yeah, differentiated skylines would be fantastic! Consistent, but still unique, is what I would do. Are non-X-lines services all going to be refreshed to be consistent? 

I would guess orange and yellow for X84/X85, but could be wrong. Are the NSAs going to be updated for X84/X85? Would be nice to see them corrected to include Fenham and Benwell, not just call everything Denton Burn! I noticed in a YouTube video the announcements after Denton Burn from Newcastle say "welcome onboard to passengers joining us in Benwell and Denton Burn", despite no other mention of Benwell on the NSAs! GNE should advertise where they serve as much as possible, could they not be cheeky and say for example 'calling at Denton Burn, near Slatyford' or for the next stop "Denton Burn Library, alight here for Slatyford" etc? I always think all buses should clearly say where they call near, rather than just where they serve, to increase passenger numbers. 

Anyone know if the 74 has revised its route and is no longer operating through Westerhope?  Originally some trips were and others not, due to building work on Stamfordham Road for new houses. 

(12 Jan 2020, 8:11 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Nope doesn't sound like it. Although X39 only runs few times a day. Same as X81

Fair point on the X39, and I forgot about the X81. X88 only runs on weekends, but will become X-lines in a way by using X1 buses! 

X66? Just to keep Metrocentre branding? What happened to consistency? Hmm

(12 Jan 2020, 8:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]That line really infuriated me.

Just because a route is 'broadly' the same route you would take in a car doesn't mean it's express.
It should only be express if it's faster than another bus, otherwise it's just a STANDARD service! 
By that logic, for a route to not be express, it would have to take a 10 mile detour

Seems to me like it's some marketing crap excuse so they can make it seem better than it is

Not all expresses have a slower, or standard, alternative. X45/X46/X47, X84/X85, Stagecoach X24 and X34...

To me express is just limited stop, and fast, not faster...
(12 Jan 2020, 8:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]
Yeah, differentiated skylines would be fantastic! Consistent, but still unique, is what I would do. Are non-X-lines services all going to be refreshed to be consistent? 

I would guess orange and yellow for X84/X85, but could be wrong. Are the NSAs going to be updated for X84/X85? Would be nice to see them corrected to include Fenham and Benwell, not just call everything Denton Burn! I noticed in a YouTube video the announcements after Denton Burn from Newcastle say "welcome onboard to passengers joining us in Benwell and Denton Burn", despite no other mention of Benwell on the NSAs! GNE should advertise where they serve as much as possible, could they not be cheeky and say for example 'calling at Denton Burn, near Slatyford' or for the next stop "Denton Burn Library, alight here for Slatyford" etc? I always think all buses should clearly say where they call near, rather than just where they serve, to increase passenger numbers. 

Anyone know if the 74 has revised its route and is no longer operating through Westerhope?  Originally some trips were and others not, due to building work on Stamfordham Road for new houses. 

Fair point on the X39, and I forgot about the X81. X88 only runs on weekends, but will become X-lines in a way by using X1 buses! 

X66? Just to keep Metrocentre branding? What happened to consistency? Hmm

Not all expresses have a slower, or standard, alternative. X45/X46/X47, X84/X85, Stagecoach X24 and X34...

The X1 isn't fast imo.
In fact, it's considerably slower and stops at many more stops than its X5 incarnation did.
(12 Jan 2020, 8:22 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Not all expresses have a slower, or standard, alternative. X45/X46/X47, X84/X85, Stagecoach X24 and X34...

That's because the X45/X46/X47 were the standard route until they added an X in front of the name!

They're hardly limited stop (except from between Newcastle and Metrocentre, but those stops were barely used anyway), don't go 'broadly' the way you would drive, and aren't faster than another service.
So how can they be part of X-Lines?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28