North East Buses

Full Version: Next Stop Announcement Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(08 Jan 2023, 8:57 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]as the former MD is no longer directing his lackeys to engage in this sort of frivolity….it’s unlikely.

Though anyone whose been on a rush hour single deck 21 of late may be tempted to hop out and have a pint /large wine and wait for the next one

Hearing rumours that Lumo are changing their NSA's and directing punters to real ale pubs close to the various stations they call at.
And they're already going down the cheesy advert line. 

No idea what MG's influence is in all of these things. Nor if he's agreed a deal with Best Impressions to include diagonal lines or if they're creating desire with the omnipresent font unfortunately.
6 months down the line yet again. The Stephenson Street announce is finally back on the 1 route (until the next lot of service changes Wink
(02 Dec 2022, 6:00 pm)Blockybus wrote [ -> ]Yes they do. There is a few stops which don't as we don't currently have any NSA files for them but the rest work fine.

Two months later, still no change!?

(03 Feb 2023, 3:58 pm)ne14ne1 wrote [ -> ]Two months later, still no change!?

Wow! Almost as if the company has undergone a huge restructure in which 100 jobs were ‘at risk’ in the last two months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no announcements on the X21 in either direction. And it just says "Welcome on board the."
(03 Feb 2023, 7:28 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Wow! Almost as if the company has undergone a huge restructure in which 100 jobs were ‘at risk’ in the last two months!

Can stuff not get done in those situations?
(03 Feb 2023, 7:28 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Wow! Almost as if the company has undergone a huge restructure in which 100 jobs were ‘at risk’ in the last two months!

Wow! But isn’t there a lot less buses running these days and there’s been no silly new brands to promote, so what’s everyone been doing?  Tongue

Weren’t the Electrics introduced 5 months ago now? And apparently no one in that times been able to drop Emma a quick email?

Did the diesels not have announcements on the Jesmond stretch prior?
(03 Feb 2023, 8:56 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Can stuff not get done in those situations?

Lots of work has been done. One would assume with fewer people (I note there has been a few vacancies on the website, Indeed and LinkedIn recently).

The new director team clearly have a different approach to running the business than the previous director team. I would imagine their priority is to get the basics right first, which will be why quality (in all aspects) has been sacrificed.

(03 Feb 2023, 8:34 pm)itsadam wrote [ -> ]There's no announcements on the X21 in either direction. And it just says "Welcome on board the."

There was when I used the X21 in November in Durham
(04 Feb 2023, 5:21 am)Dan wrote [ -> ] Lots of work has been done. One would assume with fewer people (I note there has been a few vacancies on the website, Indeed and LinkedIn recently).

The new director team clearly have a different approach to running the business than the previous director team. I would imagine their priority is to get the basics right first, which will be why quality (in all aspects) has been sacrificed.

But not the NSA's and helping those visually impared passengers in line with the relevant legislation though... Huh

Id assume they were the basics.
(04 Feb 2023, 10:27 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]But not the NSA's and helping those visually impared passengers in line with the relevant legislation though... Huh

Id assume they were the basics.

If they were ‘the basics’, this equipment would be mandated and be legally required.

Many operators still don’t offer this facility and until it becomes a regulatory requirement, I don’t think any operator will treat it with such high regard.

My personal opinion is that it is very important and should be mandated, but no doubt operators up and down the country would require financial support to provide this. Not every operator is like Go North East, with over half their fleet fitted as they have continually invested since 2010. Alas, it’s only something Stagecoach has provided since 2019 on their new vehicles (so a very small proportion of their fleet!)

I don't even think Stagecoach have even brought back their free Wifi.
(04 Feb 2023, 10:41 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]I don't even think Stagecoach have even brought back their free Wifi.

WiFi is pointless on urban routes. The vast majority of people have data on their phones and it's 10x quicker. It's the reason they don't bother with it in London other than the Underground.

Shops that have WiFi aren't doing it to 'be nice' they're doing it to track your shopping movements, see: https://www.wifispark.com/blog/does-reta...eally-work but then again I wouldn't be surprised if bus companies weren't either. Could find some valuable information ie. x boards at y stop at 7am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
(04 Feb 2023, 10:33 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]If they were ‘the basics’, this equipment would be mandated and be legally required.

Many operators still don’t offer this facility and until it becomes a regulatory requirement, I don’t think any operator will treat it with such high regard. 

My personal opinion is that it is very important and should be mandated, but no doubt operators up and down the country would require financial support to provide this. Not every operator is like Go North East, with over half their fleet fitted as they have continually invested since 2010. Alas, it’s only something Stagecoach has provided since 2019 on their new vehicles (so a very small proportion of their fleet!)

Suppose it depends if they've had funding to roll it out. 
If they have, then I'd expect it to be maintained to the high standards expected and not do a half arsed job, failing to update and keep on top of it.
(04 Feb 2023, 10:41 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]I don't even think Stagecoach have even brought back their free Wifi.
In other Stagecoach areas, they've left it enabled to tell you it's disabled, which is really handy....
(04 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Suppose it depends if they've had funding to roll it out. 
If they have, then I'd expect it to be maintained to the high standards expected and not do a half arsed job, failing to update and keep on top of it.

I think Arriva received funding to retrofit next stop announcements to many of their fleet at Darlington and Durham, and their buses for many years went by without being updated to have announcements programmed.

(04 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think Arriva received funding to retrofit next stop announcements to many of their fleet at Darlington and Durham, and their buses for many years went by without being updated to have announcements programmed.

I think the X1 was such a route and maybe 1 in 10 times I use it the NSA actually works

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(04 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think Arriva received funding to retrofit next stop announcements to many of their fleet at Darlington and Durham, and their buses for many years went by without being updated to have announcements programmed.

Too many examples of it happening. 
This is clearly another. 

I'd have hoped there was some sort of claw-back or penalty for them and any other operator guilty of taking the money and not fulfilling any obligations.

Most had announcements fairly quickly after being installed at Arriva, unfortunately slim to nothing has been done to them since, so we're now left with many not working properly, if not at all, are blank (examples 1514-16) or because DCC seem to love whacking in new bus stops all over the place, stops missing on some routes.
I've noticed recently the nsa board is no longer delayed like it used to be
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21