Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2016
(07 Aug 2016, 9:49 am)Jamie M wrote This is true, I just fear for the allocations and even trips not being run (I've had an X31 not turn up before).

I was talking to some drivers who gave me some insight into their jobs, but also mentioned that there was a decent attempt to merge CLS/Stanley a few years back. Not entirely relevant but sure won't help to keep things on track if they have to send replacements out of CLS up to Consett/Stanley if this ever does go ahead in the future.
Yeah, there were two rumoured sites. One where the car supersite is at Birtley and another behind Batleys on Drum Industrial Estate. The Drum site would have provided better and quicker access to Derwentside out of the two.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Jamie M
Unregistered
(07 Aug 2016, 10:18 am)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, there were two rumoured sites. One where the car supersite is at Birtley and another behind Batleys on Drum Industrial Estate. The Drum site would have provided better and quicker access to Derwentside out of the two.
I agree, Birtly Road is bad at peak time, particularly around the A693 junction. Once you're on the A693 it's a blast up and probably quicker than from Stanley to Consett, which Drum Park is on.

Greencroft park, near Maiden law, wouldn't also be a bad option being close to Lanchester, A691 so fast links to Durham/Consett and Stanley. Would be a bit of a pain to get an 8/78 to Park Lane from there, but some could be sent to Deptford to even things out.
Jamie M
Unregistered
(07 Aug 2016, 10:27 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Seen that it took a wrong turn so had to go through pennywell
Talking of wrong turns, I recently saw an Omnidekka on X30 miss the turn to Sunniside Road en route to Newcastle, it then got Pennyfine road and performed a full 180* turn around the road isle on the junction. Was quite comical to watch - those Scania deckers aren't the most agile things ever.
(07 Aug 2016, 11:28 am)JP6004 wrote If they were going to withdraw any DD as a result of the cascaded omnis, wouldn't it be better to withdraw them after the run?

Maybe but its on a Sunday so they could just use deckers from else where.

They"ll need extra buses though if the metro decides to have a day off...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Buses at today's driver recruitment day at Westgate College are 3973, 3975, 6080, 6117, 6302 and 8344 with 3973 and 3975 being used for driving and the rest static.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
(07 Aug 2016, 11:32 am)Michael wrote Maybe but its on a Sunday so they could just use deckers from else where.

They"ll need extra buses though if the metro decides to have a day off...

I think that's only if the day ends in a Y  Tongue
(07 Aug 2016, 10:20 am)Jamie M wrote I agree, Birtly Road is bad at peak time, particularly around the A693 junction. Once you're on the A693 it's a blast up and probably quicker than from Stanley to Consett, which Drum Park is on.

Greencroft park, near Maiden law, wouldn't also be a bad option being close to Lanchester, A691 so fast links to Durham/Consett and Stanley. Would be a bit of a pain to get an 8/78 to Park Lane from there, but some could be sent to Deptford to even things out.
I never saw any logic in the Durham Road/Birtley location. Access to/from the Chester and Stanley would be easier with the Drum Ind site, with it being located just off the A693. The subsequent improvements with the A693 roundabout outside Batleys add to that.
Drum would see dead mileage at a lower level than the Durham Road site would have done.

I can see the how a Greencroft/Annfield Plain site would work too. Dead mileage from the Derwentside portion of routes would be reduced massively.
Jamie M
Unregistered
(07 Aug 2016, 3:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote I never saw any logic in the Durham Road/Birtley location. Access to/from the Chester and Stanley would be easier with the Drum Ind site, with it being located just off the A693. The subsequent improvements with the A693 roundabout outside Batleys add to that.
Drum would see dead mileage at a lower level than the Durham Road site would have done.

I can see the how a Greencroft/Annfield Plain site would work too. Dead mileage from the Derwentside portion of routes would be reduced massively.
The solution could be run trips from depots to bus stations to avoid dead milage - for example a few buses in the morning run out 78 to stanley and consett. This would completely destroy the purpose of allocation, but would reduce dead milage and provide stronger links between CLS/West Durham. Could do the same with the X25/28, just run out services to town whilst being on a service to reduce dead milage whilst moving vehicles to a convenient place to resume normal service. This is probably complete chaos in reality, but opens door to solutions - even if the depot is a distance away from where it was.
Will 554 be repainted from Green or is it just a temporary contract for ASDA?, as the bus looks a mess where they've took the NTL branding off.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(07 Aug 2016, 8:51 am)Michael wrote With the metro replacement service finishing has the B7's gone back to Stanley to withdraw the Lolynes and allowing other buses to move else where?

(07 Aug 2016, 9:28 am)Jamie M wrote This would make stanley's allocation issue worse - as things stand there is a gain of 5 vehicles (excl. 5170), and a loss of 8 vehicles (Loyne/Olympians/darts (547 is gone riverside, not sure of 553)). This would make stanley short of 3 vehicles.

To confirm - Stanley are not short of any vehicles at the moment. They actually have one extra bus in the fleet at the moment (5170).

Volvo B10BLE 4896 is in a float capacity at Stanley - covering for 5292 which is long-term VOR.
Volvo B7TL 6024 is also in a float capacity at Stanley - covering for 3873 until a more long-term replacement can be sourced.

MPD 547's withdrawal has been outstanding since 553 transferred to Stanley from Percy Main - the latter should be used on the Tesco Free Bus (and was yesterday). It was retained at Stanley to help cover for vehicle shortages, but more recently, pending the result of Nexus contracts. As a number of contracts were gained, it was transferred to Riverside for use on service 33 (Newcastle - Hollywood Avenue). As 547 was replaced by another bus a few months ago, Stanley are not short of minibuses.

The entry into service of 3995 and 3996 has allowed 4903 (which was covering for 3874 itself) to be withdrawn 4925 (which was covering for 3880 itself) to be used in a float/reserve capacity. 4925 was used at Deptford over the Sunderland Airshow weekend for use on a special Park & Ride service, but has since transferred to Riverside for the duration of the Metro Replacement work (allowing dual-door Volvo B7s normally allocated to Nexus Misc. Works to be released for use on Metro Replacements). I understand it's likely to be retained for a little bit longer, as Go North East has been awarded with another contract to operate shuttle services for the Tall Ships event in Blyth later this month. The same applies to other Volvo B10BLEs in the fleet which have been temporarily retained.

Following use on the Metro Replacement services, Volvo B7TLs 6009, 6012, 6013, 6014 and 6016 have now returned to service at Stanley. Scania OmniDekkas 6136, 6137, 6138 and 6139 have been retained at Stanley. These will replace an equal number of Dennis Tridents and Volvo Olympians, but again, these are subject to be retained until the Tall Ships event in Blyth is finished. 6140 has transferred to Chester-le-Street, replacing Trident 3875 which was withdrawn a few weeks back.

Hopefully that clears up a few things?
Jamie M
Unregistered
(07 Aug 2016, 4:28 pm)Dan wrote To confirm - Stanley are not short of any vehicles at the moment. They actually have one extra bus in the fleet at the moment (5170).

Volvo B10BLE 4896 is in a float capacity at Stanley - covering for 5292 which is long-term VOR.
Volvo B7TL 6024 is also in a float capacity at Stanley - covering for 3873 until a more long-term replacement can be sourced.

MPD 547's withdrawal has been outstanding since 553 transferred to Stanley from Percy Main - the latter should be used on the Tesco Free Bus (and was yesterday). It was retained at Stanley to help cover for vehicle shortages, but more recently, pending the result of Nexus contracts. As a number of contracts were gained, it was transferred to Riverside for use on service 33 (Newcastle - Hollywood Avenue). As 547 was replaced by another bus a few months ago, Stanley are not short of minibuses.

The entry into service of 3995 and 3996 has allowed 4903 (which was covering for 3874 itself) to be withdrawn 4925 (which was covering for 3880 itself) to be used in a float/reserve capacity. 4925 was used at Deptford over the Sunderland Airshow weekend for use on a special Park & Ride service, but has since transferred to Riverside for the duration of the Metro Replacement work (allowing dual-door Volvo B7s normally allocated to Nexus Misc. Works to be released for use on Metro Replacements). I understand it's likely to be retained for a little bit longer, as Go North East has been awarded with another contract to operate shuttle services for the Tall Ships event in Blyth later this month. The same applies to other Volvo B10BLEs in the fleet which have been temporarily retained.

Following use on the Metro Replacement services, Volvo B7TLs 6009, 6012, 6013, 6014 and 6016 have now returned to service at Stanley. Scania OmniDekkas 6136, 6137, 6138 and 6139 have been retained at Stanley. These will replace an equal number of Dennis Tridents and Volvo Olympians, but again, these are subject to be retained until the Tall Ships event in Blyth is finished. 6140 has transferred to Chester-le-Street, replacing Trident 3875 which was withdrawn a few weeks back.

Yes, thanks. How long is 5170 expected to stay?
(07 Aug 2016, 4:28 pm)Dan wrote To confirm - Stanley are not short of any vehicles at the moment. They actually have one extra bus in the fleet at the moment (5170).

It does, thanks Dan. 

So i take it all the Omnidekka's still in Brighton and Hove livery will remain until all the contracts are finished? 

What about YN04GJU (624) & YN04GJV (625), will they remain in Brighton and Hove livery or will they be repainted before they enter service?, as if they are repainted before hand, that'll allow the Omnidekka's in Bighton and Hove livery already in service to go for a repaint without Stanley losing a bus.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Aug 2016, 3:30 pm)Michael wrote Will 554 be repainted from Green or is it just a temporary contract for ASDA?, as the bus looks a mess where they've took the NTL branding off.

It was in a right state when I saw it on Friday. I don't think the contract for ASDA is temporary as it's been running for as long as the stores been open (albeit Phoenix have operated it) so hopefully they will get it sorted out. They seem to be using the Tynedale Express bus on the 33 too so that could do with a repaint too.
(07 Aug 2016, 8:44 pm)Tom wrote It was in a right state when I saw it on Friday. I don't think the contract for ASDA is temporary as it's been running for as long as the stores been open (albeit Phoenix have operated it) so hopefully they will get it sorted out. They seem to be using the Tynedale Express bus on the 33 too so that could do with a repaint too.

All will come apparent soon  Tongue
(07 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm)citaro5284 wrote All will come apparent soon  Tongue

A Hollywood themed brand for Nexus 33 would amuse me...
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(07 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm)citaro5284 wrote All will come apparent soon  Tongue

Is it a merger in to one of the Q services or an extension of the X25 and re-branding it 'The Golden Arrow'? With Robin Hood turning up at publicity events on Northumberland Street and Shields Road.
(07 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm)Andreos1 wrote Is it a merger in to one of the Q services or an extension of the X25 and re-branding it 'The Golden Arrow'? With Robin Hood turning up at publicity events on Northumberland Street and Shields Road.

With an upgrade to a more reliable fleet for the X25

[Image: ga3183.JPG]
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(07 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm)Ambassador wrote With an upgrade to a more reliable fleet for the X25

[Image: ga3183.JPG]

There was a time, when the X25 (725/726) didn't have the poor vehicle status it has now. Chester's double decker vehicles appeared on either of the Durham Road or Old Durham Road services and the vehicles seemed to justify the loads too.
VR's on Durham Road one week and on Old Durham Road the next, with Metrobuses doing the other.
Question for Dan or Citaro when I was on the 42 today noticed the NSAs still aren't on. Any idea when they will be done as they've been off on all of them I've been on since the changes.
Site Administrator
(08 Aug 2016, 9:15 pm)Tom wrote Question for Dan or Citaro when I was on the 42 today noticed the NSAs still aren't on. Any idea when they will be done as they've been off on all of them I've been on since the changes.

Hopefully this month ready for the schools going back - but don't hold me to that!

I didn't get them done in time for the changes, then was off on annual leave for two weeks (first day back today), so it's still on the to-do list.

Same story for the TEN, Quaylink, Citylink 58 and indiGo North Tyne 40/41. All should be showing generic Go North East slides and/or scrolling messages at present. Not ideal but couldn't have the system announcing the wrong stops! Wink
(08 Aug 2016, 9:26 pm)Dan wrote Hopefully this month ready for the schools going back - but don't hold me to that!

I didn't get them done in time for the changes, then was off on annual leave for two weeks (first day back today), so it's still on the to-do list.

Same story for the TEN, Quaylink, Citylink and indiGo North Tyne 40/41. All should be showing generic Go North East slides and/or scrolling messages at present.

Ah right cheers Smile
The ones I've been on just show ''Welcome on board the. Free WiFi is available on this service...'', so I guessed you hadn't got them done in time as there's a lot to do for all of them.
Site Administrator
(08 Aug 2016, 9:29 pm)Tom wrote Ah right cheers Smile
The ones I've been on just show ''Welcome on board the. Free WiFi is available on this service...'', so I guessed you hadn't got them done in time as there's a lot to do for all of them.

Yep - lots of things going on at the moment!

Once all of that is out of the way, I can look to start a new 'venture'... Wink
(08 Aug 2016, 9:31 pm)Dan wrote Yep - lots of things going on at the moment!

Once all of that is out of the way, I can look to start a new 'venture'... Wink

Haha that one is long overdue - the V8 still shows Consett to Castleside on the NSA screens!
Site Administrator
(08 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm)Tom wrote Haha that one is long overdue - the V8 still shows Consett to Castleside on the NSA screens!

It shouldn't!

I've had nothing to do with Venture so far, but as far as I am aware, it should show a yellow screen with the Venture logo at all times when operating V7/V8.
(08 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm)Dan wrote It shouldn't!

I've had nothing to do with Venture so far, but as far as I am aware, it should show a yellow screen with the Venture logo at all times when operating V7/V8.

If I'm in it again I'll take a pic and show you. Only been on the V8 once or twice but on the V7 it has the yellow screen.