You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East State Of The Fleet

Go North East State Of The Fleet

RE: State Of The Fleet
(04 Sep 2023, 10:10 am)streetdeckfan wrote Clearly it's a fixable problem given GNE have fixed it on some of their Streetlites, although they seem to have given up on doing any more

I was on 5444 into shields, that one wasnt that bad tbf, but 5475 on the otherhand, dear me it was bash bash bash all the way home,thankfully i dont live far from Shields Town Centre, but i feel sorry for the drivers having to do the 1 for a full shift
Kind Regards
Tez
(04 Sep 2023, 10:40 am)V514DFT wrote I was on 5444 into shields, that one wasnt that bad tbf, but 5475 on the otherhand, dear me it was bash bash bash all the way home,thankfully i dont live far from Shields Town Centre, but i feel sorry for the drivers having to do the 1 for a full shift

I'd imagine it's one of those things you stop noticing after a while, just like the NSA or passengers
(04 Sep 2023, 10:10 am)streetdeckfan wrote Clearly it's a fixable problem given GNE have fixed it on some of their Streetlites, although they seem to have given up on doing any more

It's something to do with tightening a bolt on the fire door, I'd heard? I know the original Coast & Country batch were done, but when I've used them recently, they sound just as shot again.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(04 Sep 2023, 11:25 am)Adrian wrote It's something to do with tightening a bolt on the fire door, I'd heard? I know the original Coast & Country batch were done, but when I've used them recently, they sound just as shot again.
I heard it was to do with the engine mounts as the idle was a lot smoother as well, perhaps it was a combination?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(04 Sep 2023, 10:44 am)streetdeckfan wrote I'd imagine it's one of those things you stop noticing after a while, just like the NSA or passengers

True, i dont usually have to go on the lites tbf cus my local bus is the 307, so its usually a double decker
Kind Regards
Tez
(04 Sep 2023, 11:27 am)streetdeckfan wrote I heard it was to do with the engine mounts as the idle was a lot smoother as well, perhaps it was a combination?

Separate issues, the doors and the engine mounts both need adjustments to stop some of the rattling. I don't think Deptford's Streetlites are too bad from a passenger point of view, most of the rattles that bother me seem to be in the cab, coming from the cab window and the general cab area fit and finish causing rattles.
(04 Sep 2023, 11:49 am)deanmachine wrote Separate issues, the doors and the engine mounts both need adjustments to stop some of the rattling. I don't think Deptford's Streetlites are too bad from a passenger point of view, most of the rattles that bother me seem to be in the cab, coming from the cab window and the general cab area fit and finish causing rattles.
Whatever they did it worked, before we had Versas on the 49 we had a few fixed Streetlites and they were lovely to ride, on par with, if not nicer than an E200

(04 Sep 2023, 8:42 am)Ambassador wrote Saw a one kicking around Whitley Bay yesterday, you can see in the photo but up close the old Orbit logo is really visible.

I'd have thought they'd have made more of an effort with it if they've gone to trouble of branding

I wonder what RF or RS say about it?

You must create desire and if they're not, then all the work and PR is pretty pointless.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(04 Sep 2023, 6:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote I wonder what RF or RS say about it?

You must create desire and if they're not, then all the work and PR is pretty pointless.

Roger is far too busy robbing local people of their DRT service so he can whine in his blog about how bad they are to criticise his pension paymasters
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(04 Sep 2023, 8:50 pm)Ambassador wrote Roger is far too busy robbing local people of their DRT service so he can whine in his blog about how bad they are to criticise his pension paymasters

He likes PRT though. https://busandtrainuser.com/2021/07/13/i...more-21730 

Several times, he makes it clear that the GAG DRT isn't DRT. But is actually PRT.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(05 Sep 2023, 5:37 pm)streetdeckfan wrote 6317 is stranded at Stand L Gateshead and according to the driver he's been there for 3 hours waiting for an engineer. Let's just say he ain't too happy with GNE!

The Angels have nosedived in reliability and ‘branded’ vehicles since Riverside took over. 

Whether it’s the extra time and attention (plus expertise) a smaller depot was able pay to vehicles or just a lack of skills  or even basing your flagship route miles away from where it starts and adding more miles to the route (CLS morning services are dreadfully unreliable) 

They’re still nice inside, e leather seating and some vandalised tables aside, but they are dropping like flies. 

I hope they don’t replace them with some complicated to fix and maintain electric vehicle……
Durham should have an outstation! (if GNE can win more services), Definitely be better for the 21/X21. Tbf GNE should not be getting away with what theyre doing with the 21
(05 Sep 2023, 10:27 pm)Unber43 wrote Durham should have an outstation! (if GNE can win more services), Definitely be better for the 21/X21. Tbf GNE should not be getting away with what theyre doing with the 21

The 21 will be a success whoever runs it and there’s no challenge to it. It works in spite of decades of awful management and decisions around the route (and it’s predecessors the 724, 737, 735, 721, 221, 723) 

Classic tried (and arguably won since their 21 beat off GNEs 221) and Arriva have never really invested. 

Hopefully the new electric stock will start an upward trend!
(05 Sep 2023, 9:52 pm)Ambassador wrote The Angels have nosedived in reliability and ‘branded’ vehicles since Riverside took over. 

Whether it’s the extra time and attention (plus expertise) a smaller depot was able pay to vehicles or just a lack of skills  or even basing your flagship route miles away from where it starts and adding more miles to the route (CLS morning services are dreadfully unreliable) 

They’re still nice inside, e leather seating and some vandalised tables aside, but they are dropping like flies. 

I hope they don’t replace them with some complicated to fix and maintain electric vehicle……

Interesting observation. Although Chester had a number of long-serving engineering staff, including one who dated from as far back as 1975, their standards - particularly in its last few years - were appalling. 

That said, I suspect the permanent backshift arrangement at Riverside doesn't do much to attract skilled engineering staff.
(05 Sep 2023, 9:52 pm)Ambassador wrote The Angels have nosedived in reliability and ‘branded’ vehicles since Riverside took over. 

I had to venture out into dangerous territory on the 51 the other day, and to my surprise an Angel Streetdeck turned up!

Mechanically at least electric vehicles are a lot simpler, so they should be more reliable, and when things do go wrong, they should be easier to fix.

The trouble will be if they go for more Chinese vehicles like the Yutongs or the ADL EVs, parts availability might end up being a bigger issue. 
At least with Wrightbus they seem to be using more locally sourced parts for their electric/hydrogen vehicles rather than straight up importing the vehicle from China, or just slapping an E200/E400 body on a Chinese chassis.
State Of The Fleet
(08 Jun 2023, 12:45 pm)ne14ne1 wrote Have they started removing/correcting the destinations on any of the Xlines liveried vehicles yet?
E.g. Metrocentre, Rowlands Gill etc / Red Kite country still listed on the sides of Streetdecks regularly on X21

Nope and there are no plans to either, not exactly top of the list when depots have high VOR’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something I noticed yesterday is they don't seem to put route numbers on the cove vinyls anymore, just the route info.

I noticed this when we had an X10 E400 on the X21 yesterday, it didn't mention X10 anywhere, and thinking about it I don't remember seeing X45/X46 on the green Streetdecks anymore either.

Fairly sure the X21 B5s still have X21 on them though?

As a sidenote, the B5s are much nicer on the motorway than the E400s, I think even the Streetdecks were quieter!
(06 Sep 2023, 8:22 am)streetdeckfan wrote Something I noticed yesterday is they don't seem to put route numbers on the cove vinyls anymore, just the route info.

I noticed this when we had an X10 E400 on the X21 yesterday, it didn't mention X10 anywhere, and thinking about it I don't remember seeing X45/X46 on the green Streetdecks anymore either.

Fairly sure the X21 B5s still have X21 on them though?

As a sidenote, the B5s are much nicer on the motorway than the E400s, I think even the Streetdecks were quieter!
StreetDecks are a smoother ride on the X10 I think, the 400s make one hell of a racket
(06 Sep 2023, 7:06 pm)itsadam wrote StreetDecks are a smoother ride on the X10 I think, the 400s make one hell of a racket

All the ADLs are far too creaky for my liking, you can just hear the cheapness in the plastics!

They also make more of a 'thud' when going over bumps.

Put it this way, even with the noise cancelling on my headphones turned to max I could still hear the racket of the E400 whereas on a B5 or new Streetdeck I would barely hear a thing.

Plus, the upstairs speakers on the NSA just weren't working!
(06 Sep 2023, 8:22 am)streetdeckfan wrote Something I noticed yesterday is they don't seem to put route numbers on the cove vinyls anymore, just the route info.
They haven't for a while the only service I can think of having service numbers is the 2/2A and I don't know why more branded routes don't have this.
I’ve had the joy of 6176 on the X39 today. It’s a total wreck inside mind, rattling mouldy windows, panels falling off, minging chairs and a damp musk.

Excellent legroom but this can’t be appealing to commuters on a commuter express
(07 Sep 2023, 3:22 pm)Ambassador wrote I’ve had the joy of 6176 on the X39 today. It’s a total wreck inside mind, rattling mouldy windows, panels falling off, minging chairs and a damp musk.

Excellent legroom but this can’t be appealing to commuters on a commuter express

Are all 4/5 examples of these still in service, weren't they the ones with the higher capacity that started to transfer from Brighton then the rest were binned off before transfer?