You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
i must say a lot of comments on FB are very against the strike saying theyre only on £10.42 etc, they should get better jobs etc

J
(18 Oct 2023, 9:22 am)Rob44 wrote So if the indefinite strike goes ahead and the assignments run out the buses would cease to operate?

Also, if Nexus take the fares from these services surely they cant be too happy that GNE are telling the public no services ( bar schools) will run yet they are running some rockets in North Tynside - if there was ever a waste of fuel this seems to be it

No, because the agency assignments they have for the North Tyneside services are likely to be 'ongoing', rather than having a defined end date.

They probably aren't happy over at Nexus HQ. If you rely on a secured service, you should contact them directly to raise your concerns. They're contracted to fulfil a service, and at the moment, they're not doing that.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(18 Oct 2023, 9:35 am)Unber43 wrote i must say a lot of comments on FB are very against the strike saying theyre only on £10.42 etc, they should get better jobs etc

J
If they're only earning NMW, then they should consider joining a Union and getting organised, rather than knocking those who are.

I never understand the "get a better job" (what does that even mean?) line either, because if they did (by their eyes), there'd still be no one driving their bus...

Like I've said on here before, strikes aren't to target the general public. They're about putting as much leverage on an employer as possible. It's really unfortunate that people get caught up in it, but as a very last resort, it's necessary.

(18 Oct 2023, 9:38 am)Adrian wrote If they're only earning NMW, then they should consider joining a Union and getting organised, rather than knocking those who are.

I never understand the "get a better job" (what does that even mean?) line either, because if they did (by their eyes), there'd still be no one driving their bus...

Like I've said on here before, strikes aren't to target the general public. They're about putting as much leverage on an employer as possible. It's really unfortunate that people get caught up in it, but as a very last resort, it's necessary.

The mindset of lots of people on social media is quite depressing to be honest. Seeing some comments (admittedly, often with fewer positive interactions than those in support of the drivers) from people who seem to be against drivers getting paid even as much as they're currently on because "worker group x" are on less money/not that much more.
(18 Oct 2023, 9:35 am)Unber43 wrote i must say a lot of comments on FB are very against the strike saying theyre only on £10.42 etc, they should get better jobs etc

J

Social media tends not to represent wider public opinion. Facebook is generally more right wing due its older and less economically advantaged demographics and twitter/X - the reverse.

You would hope a final round of talks would take place in the coming days to see if a short (or mid-long) term compromise can be reached
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(18 Oct 2023, 10:25 am)Ambassador wrote Social media tends not to represent wider public opinion. Facebook is generally more right wing due its older and less economically advantaged demographics and twitter/X - the reverse.

You would hope a final round of talks would take place in the coming days to see if a short (or mid-long) term compromise can be reached

You’d hope but you’ve got an MD that has caused strikes everywhere he’s been and then a complete incompetent “Business Director” who prefers point scoring and mud slinging than admitting he’s wrong. His work history is patchy too mainly following NF but nowhere for longer than 18 months. If I were Go Ahead I’d remove these two idiots as soon as possible otherwise the damage done to GNE will be irreversible.
(18 Oct 2023, 11:46 am)Coastliner700 wrote You’d hope but you’ve got an MD that has caused strikes everywhere he’s been and then a complete incompetent “Business Director” who prefers point scoring and mud slinging than admitting he’s wrong. His work history is patchy too mainly following NF but nowhere for longer than 18 months. If I were Go Ahead I’d remove these two idiots as soon as possible otherwise the damage done to GNE will be irreversible.

Were they not saying the same when the strike was on at Manchester - and he is still there!

Whatever anyone thinks of Nigel, he has been brought in by GAG to turn the fortunes of GNE around following the previous MD and return it to profit - some folk do not like his approach, but 1 thing is guaranteed, he isnt going to change the way he operates.
(18 Oct 2023, 12:22 pm)Unber43 wrote he may be a K**b but he does ger results within the financial area of the companies he runs.
Does he, and at what cost?

Jury is still out on their performance in the North West, and even if this dispute is resolved, he and Ben have big bridges to build with the workforce.

(18 Oct 2023, 12:34 pm)Adrian wrote Does he, and at what cost?

Jury is still out on their performance in the North West, and even if this dispute is resolved, he and Ben have big bridges to build with the workforce.

By no means condoning the ongoing dispute, but NF did steady the ship with Arriva Northumbria even with some initial questionable changes back in September 2012 which were put right the following year.

Not just a GNE issue, but the whole "tea and biccies" culture does need addressed across the bus industry with management having drivers backs more!
(18 Oct 2023, 12:22 pm)Unber43 wrote he may be a K**b but he does ger results within the financial area of the companies he runs.

At what cost though work force have long memories and if you can get better pay and treated better doing the same job for Arriva or Stagecoach would you stay. If you’re a regular customer and you switch to an alternative form of transport such as train (where available) will you switch back. Strikes are never good but neither is the way the workforce are treated.
Unite analysis shows bus workers in the North East earning far less than elsewhere
Workers at the Go North East bus company are stepping up their campaign for better pay and conditions with an all-out continuous strike from 28 October as new research from Unite, Britain’s leading trade union, shows they are among the lowest paid bus workers in the country.
Over 1,300 Unite members are currently taking part in a second week of industrial action due to end on Friday but they announced last week that a new, continuous, strike would begin later in October.

The average wage for a driver at Go North East is just £12.83 per hour yet drivers at Go North West earn £15.53 per hour. Workers in Newcastle and Sunderland would require a pay rise of over 20 per cent to earn the same as those in Manchester. This equates to a loss of £105 per week on a 39-hour week or £5,475 per year. Additional research by Unite shows that the pay of Go North East workers has actually fallen by five per cent in real terms since 2018.

Meanwhile, the highest paid director at Go North East was paid £185,000 in 2022. This is six times the pay of the average employee. Go North East is part of the wider Go Ahead Group of companies. Their last accounts show their bus division made profits of nearly £85million[2].

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said “It is as plain for all to see that workers at Go North East are being given a raw deal compared to their colleagues, doing the same jobs and working for the same organisation on the other side of the country in Greater Manchester.
“Meanwhile Go Ahead reaps massive profits, pays its CEO a huge salary and then pleads poverty. The sums just don’t add up. Our members aren’t asking for the moon– they just want a fair day’s pay. And Unite will be backing them every step of the way.”

Unite regional officer Mark Sanderson added: “Why should workers in the North East get a worse deal than those in the North West working for Go Ahead? Our members will not back down in their fight for better pay and we would urge the company to come back to the table with an offer that brings fairness to the pay and conditions of our members. They are the ones to blame for the disruption that will be caused by further strikes.”
(18 Oct 2023, 9:35 am)Adrian wrote No, because the agency assignments they have for the North Tyneside services are likely to be 'ongoing', rather than having a defined end date.

They probably aren't happy over at Nexus HQ. If you rely on a secured service, you should contact them directly to raise your concerns. They're contracted to fulfil a service, and at the moment, they're not doing that.

This is a direct quote from the ACAS website, the link is https://www.acas.org.uk/strikes-and-indu...on/strikes

Under Agency workers it states "Agencies must not provide workers to cover work that people taking part in lawful strike action would usually do. Agency workers already in place as part of normal business can carry on their work".

The agency workers were initially route learning some scholars services on day one of the first strike (30/09/2023).

They then operated some scholars services on Monday 02/10/2023.

Unite got in contact with the company and advised them they legally can't use agency staff to cover those scholars services as they were brought in specifically to operate the 351/335/359 services from Saltmeadows until Percy Main is in a position to run the services from there, which is the reason those North Tyneside services are still running. Hope that makes sense!!
(18 Oct 2023, 7:11 pm)ArrivaDriver2210 wrote This is a direct quote from the ACAS website, the link is https://www.acas.org.uk/strikes-and-indu...on/strikes

Under Agency workers it states "Agencies must not provide workers to cover work that people taking part in lawful strike action would usually do. Agency workers already in place as part of normal business can carry on their work".

The agency workers were initially route learning some scholars services on day one of the first strike (30/09/2023).

Unite got in contact with the company and advised them they legally can't use agency staff to cover those scholars services as they were brought in specifically to operate the 351/335/359 services from Saltmeadows until Percy Main is in a position to run the services from there, which is the reason those North Tyneside services are still running. Hope that makes sense!!
Yeah, the ACAS link is the same thing as I wrote above, though I wasn't aware they were running the scholars. I thought that was a mix of scabs and managers.

That's really bad if they have used agency to illegally cover a strike. So not only do they not have a PR person, it sounds like they could also do with a HR person!

(18 Oct 2023, 7:21 pm)Adrian wrote Yeah, the ACAS link is the same thing as I wrote above, though I wasn't aware they were running the scholars. I thought that was a mix of scabs and managers.

That's really bad if they have used agency to illegally cover a strike. So not only do they not have a PR person, it sounds like they could also do with a HR person!

Its very worrying they didn't know that tbh
(18 Oct 2023, 7:21 pm)Adrian wrote Yeah, the ACAS link is the same thing as I wrote above, though I wasn't aware they were running the scholars. I thought that was a mix of scabs and managers.

Only happened the Monday, by the Tuesday some of the work had been contracted out to the likes of Henry Cooper, and some services didn't run initially.
Update on industrial action: 19 October 2023 9:15 AM

It is extremely disappointing to confirm that Unite has planned a further indefinite period of strike action, commencing Saturday 28 October 2023.

We are currently working on plans for services we will be able to operate during this period of strike. We expect that contract school bus services will still operate, and all other services will be reviewed as the situation develops.

We recognise that this will mean significant disruption to our customers and communities throughout the region, despite a generous pay offer being tabled. Go North East will continue to do all we can to resolve this dispute as quickly as possible.

We will keep our customers and stakeholders updated as talks progress and we apologise for the inconvenience Unite’s strike will cause.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Oct 2023, 10:36 am)Michael wrote Update on industrial action: 19 October 2023 9:15 AM

It is extremely disappointing to confirm that Unite has planned a further indefinite period of strike action, commencing Saturday 28 October 2023.

We are currently working on plans for services we will be able to operate during this period of strike. We expect that contract school bus services will still operate, and all other services will be reviewed as the situation develops.

We recognise that this will mean significant disruption to our customers and communities throughout the region, despite a generous pay offer being tabled. Go North East will continue to do all we can to resolve this dispute as quickly as possible.

We will keep our customers and stakeholders updated as talks progress and we apologise for the inconvenience Unite’s strike will cause.

Who didn't see this coming then
(19 Oct 2023, 10:36 am)Michael wrote Update on industrial action: 19 October 2023 9:15 AM

And they still continue down this BS route of taking absolutely no responsibility for the dispute; 'Unite's strike', etc.

Best not let the truth get in the way of the MD's ego.

(19 Oct 2023, 10:42 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Hopefully this means there might be some form of skeleton service on some of the busier routes, not sure I can put up with no buses for anytime longer!

Think your best chance of a skeleton service is going to be on the 31st  Wink
(19 Oct 2023, 10:52 am)Adrian wrote Think your best chance of a skeleton service is going to be on the 31st  Wink

Deary me.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
(18 Oct 2023, 7:11 pm)ArrivaDriver2210 wrote This is a direct quote from the ACAS website, the link is https://www.acas.org.uk/strikes-and-indu...on/strikes

It's not illegal to hire agency staff to cover strikes now. It was a new law brought in as part of the Tories war against unions and to bail out the mess they were in. Assume that hasn't been updated as it only came in last year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-l...ike-action
(19 Oct 2023, 12:02 pm)Storx wrote It's not illegal to hire agency staff to cover strikes now. It was a new law brought in as part of the Tories war against unions and to bail out the mess they were in. Assume that hasn't been updated as it only came in last year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-l...ike-action

See: https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/tory-governm...ncy-worker
(19 Oct 2023, 10:52 am)Adrian wrote And they still continue down this BS route of taking absolutely no responsibility for the dispute; 'Unite's strike', etc.

Best not let the truth get in the way of the MD's ego.

Think your best chance of a skeleton service is going to be on the 31st  Wink
I'd check out the MD's twitter, posting from Queens Road Manchester this morning. I think it's clear where his priorities lie!

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
Are they any closer to reaching a deal? The continuous strike is just going to cause mayhem for literally everyone.
(19 Oct 2023, 1:47 pm)itsadam wrote Are they any closer to reaching a deal? The continuous strike is just going to cause mayhem for literally everyone.
According to GNE theyre "trying" 

So probably not
(19 Oct 2023, 1:47 pm)itsadam wrote Are they any closer to reaching a deal? The continuous strike is just going to cause mayhem for literally everyone.

Nope, not heard anything from company
Views and Opinions are my own
saw someone in a FB comment (shock) said they should fire all drivers..good luck with that, it will probably be cheaper to pay them all £30 an hour than re-train thousands of staff and pay all the unfair dismissal lawsuits