You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(14 Nov 2023, 10:15 pm)itsadam wrote While I'm grateful they've offered some services, in my honest opinion however, they seem to be content with the strike. While they've been drafting emergency timetables, they could've been negotiating. Don't get me wrong, it'll be different staff that's responsible for timetabling, but they could at least put more effort into resolving the strikes. Neither party seems to be regularly communicating with passengers and that's just a PR disaster itself. It would be nice to know what's gonna happen over Christmas since I've got family to visit, and I'd imagine many other people will too! If I go to see one side of the family, I'll be stuck there for the festive season as other modes of transport will cripple my finances.

I'm shocked they didn't offer to run service like the 82 or the 99 or the 701. Why the 701 isn't being run is mind blowing in itself
(14 Nov 2023, 11:12 pm)Aaron21 wrote I'm shocked they didn't offer to run service like the 82 or the 99 or the 701. Why the 701 isn't being run is mind blowing in itself
I think all three are contract, are they not? I lose track these days.

If so, it's worth contacting your local councillors in addition to Nexus: https://www.writetothem.com/?a=council

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Nov 2023, 11:16 pm)Adrian wrote I think all three are contract, are they not? I lose track these days.

If so, it's worth contacting your local councillors in addition to Nexus: https://www.writetothem.com/?a=council

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

20 minute frequency between CLS and Gateshead on the 21, yet multiple contracted/subsidised services not running. 

Think we can all see where GNEs priorities are.
Site Administrator
(14 Nov 2023, 11:45 pm)mb134 wrote 20 minute frequency between CLS and Gateshead on the 21, yet multiple contracted/subsidised services not running. 

Think we can all see where GNEs priorities are.

Doesn’t the statement say that these timetables were designed in consultation with Nexus and Durham County Council?

One would therefore assume the services running are the priorities of the local authorities as well as the company, and done with their blessing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15 Nov 2023, 6:53 am)Dan wrote Doesn’t the statement say that these timetables were designed in consultation with Nexus and Durham County Council?

One would therefore assume the services running are the priorities of the local authorities as well as the company, and done with their blessing…

Seems odd that the local authorities are happy to continue to totally isolate so many communities, while pumping lots of the limited resource into one corridor (which already has a service, and a train!). 

Obviously it's a GNE statement too, and given the tripe that's been put out throughout the strike so far, are we to even believe that they were designed in consultation?  Angel
(15 Nov 2023, 7:48 am)mb134 wrote Seems odd that the local authorities are happy to continue to totally isolate so many communities, while pumping lots of the limited resource into one corridor (which already has a service, and a train!). 

Obviously it's a GNE statement too, and given the tripe that's been put out throughout the strike so far, are we to even believe that they were designed in consultation?  Angel
That service, the once hourly, mostly single deck X12, is no replacement for the 8 other, mostly double deck buses per hour that serve that corridor, to be fair. How are people in Birtley and Low Fell meant to get to that train?
(15 Nov 2023, 9:07 am)BusLoverMum wrote That service, the once hourly, mostly single deck X12, is no replacement for the 8 other, mostly double deck buses per hour that serve that corridor, to be fair. How are people in Birtley and Low Fell meant to get to that train?

There's other areas with no bus service at all especially on the 10, 49, 49A, 51, 52, 53, 54, 56, 57, 58, 93, 94, X1 corridors and none of these are exactly dead bus routes. They should be first priority imo rather than duplicating an area that has some form of service.

Low Fell doesn't need 5 buses an hour (29 running aswell). Running the 28 hourly, with the 29 curtailed at Kibblesworth would be better use of limited services with the 57 running additionally, least everyone in Gateshead would have access to a bus service of some form.
(15 Nov 2023, 9:51 am)Storx wrote There's other areas with no bus service at all especially on the 10, 49, 49A, 51, 52, 53, 54, 56, 57, 58, 93, 94, X1 corridors and none of these are exactly dead bus routes. They should be first priority imo rather than duplicating an area that has some form of service.

Low Fell doesn't need 5 buses an hour (29 running aswell). Running the 28 hourly, with the 29 curtailed at Kibblesworth would be better use of limited services with the 57 running additionally, least everyone in Gateshead would have access to a bus service of some form.

Not to mention the waste that is no1 running every 30 mins surely an hourly service and the bus used else where ?
(15 Nov 2023, 12:08 pm)Coastliner700 wrote Not to mention the waste that is no1 running every 30 mins surely an hourly service and the bus used else where ?
I can understand it being every 30 minutes. Routes long enough as it is. Why the hell the 21 is every 20 is shocking. Every 30 would have been better
Theres no need for the 53/54 with the 29 running through Saltwell, but the fact that QE and Wrekenton doesn't have a service is ridiculous
Site Administrator
(15 Nov 2023, 12:14 pm)Aaron21 wrote I can understand it being every 30 minutes. Routes long enough as it is. Why the hell the 21 is every 20 is shocking. Every 30 would have been better

Tell that to the passengers on the full and standing 21 into Gateshead this morning…

It is clear this is a resource-driven network, based on route knowledge of those working, and this does mean some compromises have been made.

If you aren’t running enough buses on the 21, you might as well not have bothered at all.

It is also evident that some services have been prioritised on social need (V5, X5, 29, 65) over commercial need (10, 56, X1).

Presumably the network will be adapted in time once route learning is completed, more resource becomes available, and Go North East listens to feedback it has received from its own customers, as well as from local authorities.

(15 Nov 2023, 12:40 pm)Dan wrote Tell that to the passengers on the full and standing 21 into Gateshead this morning…

It is clear this is a resource-driven network, based on route knowledge of those working, and this does mean some compromises have been made.

If you aren’t running enough buses on the 21, you might as well not have bothered at all.

It is also evident that some services have been prioritised on social need (V5, X5, 29, 65) over commercial need (10, 56, X1).

Presumably the network will be adapted in time once route learning is completed, more resource becomes available, and Go North East listens to feedback it has received from its own customers, as well as from local authorities.

I understand what your saying but surely you can see the not providing a GNE bus towards the q/e and wreckenton seems a bit strange?
Site Administrator
(15 Nov 2023, 12:58 pm)Rob44 wrote I understand what your saying but surely you can see the not providing a GNE bus towards the q/e and wreckenton seems a bit strange?

I would be very surprised it is not a priority for the next round of services to be reinstated, but the skeleton network had to start from somewhere, and it was obvious that there would be some confrontation over why x service has been prioritised over y. One would assume this is why there was consultation with local authorities, as noted in the last update by GNE, as not everything could be done from day one.

Clearly the priority ought to be - and I assume is - to resolve the dispute.

(15 Nov 2023, 1:02 pm)Dan wrote Clearly the priority ought to be - and I assume is - to resolve the dispute.

Aye while the business directors caught laughing at strikers....really shows the priority
I have to defend the running of the 21 here.

Your flagship route, carries the most passengers, barely copes in full service - it's surely a no brainer to run this?

The 67 can provide connections to the QE from along the route and places the 51/52 etc serve. It's not idea but its better than nothing
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(15 Nov 2023, 3:00 pm)Ambassador wrote I have to defend the running of the 21 here.

Your flagship route, carries the most passengers, barely copes in full service - it's surely a no brainer to run this?

The 67 can provide connections to the QE from along the route and places the 51/52 etc serve. It's not idea but its better than nothing

No connections from Gateshead metro though? If you wanted you could get off at heworth and get the 515 once an hour or pellaw and little  walk takes you to the 69 - once an  hour - or the 67 a bigger up hill walk - once an hour.

The above of course gets you to qe but no wreckenton or Cardenal humn school or the liddle/aldi or farm foods. Surely  a 30 minute 21 would be ok ( along with 29) and even an hourly 56 but as dan says x gets it and y doesnt. Had to b piss some customers off
I would imagine people would be less annoyed not having a service at all than having a service run but not be able to get it because of capacity, ie. getting somewhere then not being able to get back
(15 Nov 2023, 4:54 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I would imagine people would be less annoyed not having a service at all than having a service run but not be able to get it because of capacity, ie. getting somewhere then not being able to get back

taxi to visit dying relative - there 25 quid, back 25 quid £50 quid total

Bus there £2  Bus back £2 £4 quid total

Bus back £2 Taxi back as no bus £25 quid  £27 total

I know which 2 I'd rather pay to visit"!!
(15 Nov 2023, 5:02 pm)Rob44 wrote taxi to visit dying relative - there 25 quid, back 25 quid £50 quid total

You would trust a bus to visit a dying relative?

They'd be dead long before one even turned up!
(15 Nov 2023, 5:09 pm)streetdeckfan wrote You would trust a bus to visit a dying relative?

They'd be dead long before one even turned up!

as far as i know every 29 has turned up yesterday and today  to timetable?!
(15 Nov 2023, 5:02 pm)Rob44 wrote taxi to visit dying relative - there 25 quid, back 25 quid £50 quid total

You have a direct bus? 

Often cheaper driving and parking or taxi-ING if there's 2 or 3 people off to see the dying relative than it is getting a couple of buses there and a couple of buses back.
Partly because the majority of us no longer have a direct bus to the hospital.
Strike or not.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(15 Nov 2023, 5:50 pm)Andreos1 wrote You have a direct bus? 

Often cheaper driving and parking or taxi-ING if there's 2 or 3 people off to see the dying relative than it is getting a couple of buses there and a couple of buses back.
Partly because the majority of us no longer have a direct bus to the hospital.
Strike or not.

We'll i do from my new penthouse to QE then a 1.5 mile walk......

I was replying to this SDF saying people wont use them. incuse they couldn't get back . i was suggesting if a 56 or x1 from Gateshead to QE or wreckenton people would use it than save the taxi fare even if they had to get a taxi back. 1 taxi and a bus is cheaper than 2 taxi unless you can now get a cheap taxi return??!!

would imagine people would be less annoyed not having a service at all than having a service run but not be able to get it because of capacity, ie. getting somewhere then not being able to ge
(15 Nov 2023, 6:14 pm)Rob44 wrote We'll i do from my new penthouse to QE then a 1.5 mile walk......

I was replying to this SDF saying people wont use them. incuse they couldn't get back . i was suggesting if a 56 or x1 from Gateshead to QE or wreckenton people would use it than save the taxi fare even if they had to get a taxi back. 1 taxi and a bus is cheaper than 2 taxi unless you can now get a cheap taxi return??!!

would imagine people would be less annoyed not having a service at all than having a service run but not be able to get it because of capacity, ie. getting somewhere then not being able to ge

I mean, there may be deals with taxi companies offering returns.... Then throw in the fact there is 2 or 3 people wanting to see that dying relative. 

But to get back to the main point, whether a bus is finishing at 2.30pm or 11.30pm, there's always likely to be someone inconvenienced because they can't get a bus in both directions.
Chances are, the earlier it finishes, the more people are inconvenienced, by virtue of the majority of people not being about too late at night.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(15 Nov 2023, 6:31 pm)Andreos1 wrote I mean, there may be deals with taxi companies offering returns.... Then throw in the fact there is 2 or 3 people wanting to see that dying relative. 

But to get back to the main point, whether a bus is finishing at 2.30pm or 11.30pm, there's always likely to be someone inconvenienced because they can't get a bus in both directions.

The point was - no buses - taxi there and back.

Skeleton service - get bus there for 3 of you 6 quid and either bus or taxi back £6 or £25.  

But like you say even when they get ( if )  to work there a chance a bus wont come anyway do its just like normal!
Site Administrator
(15 Nov 2023, 5:55 pm)Dan_NCL wrote Are Yutongs a planned allocation on the 29 during the skeleton timetable?

Yes - two Yutongs from Riverside and one Streetlite from Washington, based on where the drivers are coming from.

The bus drops back each time it arrives at Gateshead to allow breaks.

So are more drivers returning to work, or are these ‘back office’ staff who have now been route learned?
Hospitals will no doubt be offering patient transport, either in the form of minibuses or taxis. No doubt the use of the service has increased due to the bus strikes, and the patient transport will be stretched that they have probably had to use more taxis in addition to what they normally using costing the local NHS more money.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.