You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
The Stagecoach offer is;

From Jan 7th
Increase from £13.57 to £14.17

From June 2nd
Increase from £14.17 to £14.86

That was leaked on another forum for some area, unsure whether it's 100% correct or which depot but that's the numbers being bundled round which I assume is what is being spoke about above. £13.57 is Sunderland though, if I'm right.
(25 Nov 2023, 9:30 pm)Unber43 wrote Just getting worse for GNE

I think gne just want a deal similar to GNW. If they decide to the put they'll be the highest paid in the region then can't see it going down well
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2023, 8:21 pm)Storx wrote The Stagecoach offer is;

From Jan 7th
Increase from £13.57 to £14.17

From June 2nd
Increase from £14.17 to £14.86

That was leaked on another forum for some area, unsure whether it's 100% correct or which depot but that's the numbers being bundled round which I assume is what is being spoke about above. £13.57 is Sunderland though, if I'm right.

That’s the Sunderland offer.

The Newcastle offer, from 24th December and 5th May respectively, is £14.30 and £15.01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Administrator
(25 Nov 2023, 11:41 pm)Unber43 wrote Yikes!

The settlement that has been discussed between Go North East and Unite for “year 2” is already in this ballpark - don’t forget this is Stagecoach’s settlement for next year, and Go North East hasn’t resolved this year’s settlement yet (but are discussing a two-year deal).

(25 Nov 2023, 9:30 pm)Unber43 wrote Just getting worse for GNE

Don't forget that Stagecoach drivers do a lot more driving in an 8-hour shift than GNE drivers do - if GNE drivers were as productive as Stagecoach drivers I'm sure that they would be paid more!

It's like comparing the staff on the tills in Morrisons/ASDA/Tesco with those in Aldi -- the Aldi staff work a lot harder (stacking shelves between the constant announcements about tills closing/opening) so get paid more.
(26 Nov 2023, 11:44 am)busmanT wrote Don't forget that Stagecoach drivers do a lot more driving in an 8-hour shift than GNE drivers do - if GNE drivers were as productive as Stagecoach drivers I'm sure that they would be paid more!

It's like comparing the staff on the tills in Morrisons/ASDA/Tesco with those in Aldi -- the Aldi staff work a lot harder (stacking shelves between the constant announcements about tills closing/opening) so get paid more.

That comparison doesn't work at all. Most supermarkets use a 'multi-skilled' role now and can be allocated to a variety of duties throughout their shift. Even when they didn't, to use your argument of productivity, I must have missed where workers were paid depending on how many items they scan per hour!

The argument in the bus industry is somewhat comical. The industry has created a role where workers are micro-managed to the nth degree, on top of what is already a rigid role.. If drivers aren't seen as productive enough, then that's a failing on those who design routes and schedules.

As I've said before, if pay in the bus industry was performance based, the likes of Nigel and Ben would owe GNE money.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(26 Nov 2023, 11:44 am)busmanT wrote Don't forget that Stagecoach drivers do a lot more driving in an 8-hour shift than GNE drivers do - if GNE drivers were as productive as Stagecoach drivers I'm sure that they would be paid more!

How much more driving during an 8hr shift?

What a load of rubbish.

Is it the fault of GNE drivers that they aren't "as productive"? What does that even mean?
(26 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm)mb134 wrote Is it the fault of GNE drivers that they aren't "as productive"? What does that even mean?

is it not about time the big bus companies harmonised pay and conditions throughout the group. This would put an end to the arguement of Go North West Drivers being paid more for essentailly the same job.

Come on, tell us more. How are one operators drivers more productive than the other, despite being limited to the same driving hours etc. 

You've compared GNE to GNW and now GNE to SNE. 

Is there something the GNW and SNE drivers are doing that GNE drivers aren't?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(26 Nov 2023, 2:56 pm)ian foster wrote is it not about time the big bus companies harmonised pay and conditions throughout the group. This would put an end to the arguement of Go North West Drivers being paid more for essentailly the same job.

No, because the cost of living is different across the country.

Then you'd just have drivers in Manchester whinging because GNE drivers are paid the same but their cost of living is cheaper so they're effectively paid more
(26 Nov 2023, 3:01 pm)Andreos1 wrote Come on, tell us more. How are one operators drivers more productive than the other, despite being limited to the same driving hours etc. 

Not to make too much of a joke, actually driving (well at least over last few weeks anyway).
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(26 Nov 2023, 3:01 pm)Andreos1 wrote Come on, tell us more. How are one operators drivers more productive than the other, despite being limited to the same driving hours etc. 

I don't think it's even limited to GNW and SNE given there are any number of bus companies paying their drivers a better wage than GNE, they're clearly *all* "more productive" than the GNE drivers. 

How unlucky are GNE to have stumbled across some of the least "productive" drivers in the country? 

Obviously how "productive" a bus driver is is very easily quantifiable, and something they themselves can definitely do something about.

(26 Nov 2023, 3:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote No, because the cost of living is different across the country.

Then you'd just have drivers in Manchester whinging because GNE drivers are paid the same but their cost of living is cheaper so they're effectively paid more

What's that got to do with how "productive" they are though, which is what is being given as the reasoning here?
(26 Nov 2023, 2:56 pm)ian foster wrote is it not about time the big bus companies harmonised pay and conditions throughout the group. This would put an end to the arguement of Go North West Drivers being paid more for essentailly the same job.

They could only do that if all locations had the very same depot layouts for walk times, break locations, relief points and first use checks times etc.

If you harmonise pay, then the eventual end argument is should a driver in Newcastle be paid the same as a driver in London. It is essentially the same job after all...

If I work in Tesco from 8 to 4 and I get 45 minutes paid break, but my mate in ALDI does the same shift , gets the same break length unpaid, which company has the more productive staff?
(26 Nov 2023, 4:15 pm)DeltaMan wrote They could only do that if all locations had the very same depot layouts for walk times, break locations, relief points and first use checks times etc.

If you harmonise pay, then the eventual end argument is should a driver in Newcastle be paid the same as a driver in London. It is essentially the same job after all...

If I work in Tesco from 8 to 4 and I get 45 minutes paid break, but my mate in ALDI does the same shift , gets the same break length unpaid, which company has the more productive staff? 

Dunno. Probably so many factors and differences, that it's hard to draw generalisations between the two. 

You may be doing one task for the full 7 and a bit hours and your mate at Aldi may be doing a couple of tasks.
Your colleague at Tesco may not be doing as much as you. Ditto your mates colleague at Aldi compared to him.

Are they more productive or are they simply multi-tasking?
As an SNE driver isn't likely to have his tools to do a bit of fitting by the side of the road, then I don't get the point being made that an SNE driver is somehow more productive or multi-tasks more than the GNE driver.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Pay deal has been proposed with approval of the union, although the union has recommended to accept alot of members are against it and will be rejecting it.
Views and Opinions are my own
(27 Nov 2023, 4:46 pm)NL62WVW wrote Pay deal has been proposed with approval of the union, although the union has recommended to accept alot of members are against it and will be rejecting it.

If they do reject they are just plain greedy

(27 Nov 2023, 4:46 pm)NL62WVW wrote Pay deal has been proposed with approval of the union, although the union has recommended to accept alot of members are against it and will be rejecting it.

Rejection of a union approved pay deal would pretty much play right into GNEs hands and weakens the Union considerably. 

GNE will just sit it out and play hard ball with the Union who they’ll see as no longer able to influence their members.

Then when the cuts inevitably come…
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Must say from an outsider point of view, this has disaster written all over it.

GNE managers and drivers at war of words for the past month.
Unite failed to get any form of deal resulting in drivers unhappy with their offer.
Passengers without a service for over a month resulting in alternative travel.

There's no winners at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tory bootlickers wishes coming true and driver's packing their bags and going elsewhere and cancellations being at record highs.
(27 Nov 2023, 6:11 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Workers from Go North East are to be balloted on the offer, which would see an 11.2% pay rise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67548376

So £14.27 from January, then if we say it's bang on 4% on the 1st July 2024 that takes them to £14.84 - 17p less per hour than the Stagecoach offer that's been posted.

And Stagecoach drivers didn't even need to strike for that deal...
(27 Nov 2023, 7:54 pm)mb134 wrote So £14.27 from January, then if we say it's bang on 4% on the 1st July 2024 that takes them to £14.84 - 17p less per hour than the Stagecoach offer that's been posted.

And Stagecoach drivers didn't even need to strike for that deal...
Depends on the T&C's too for the sake of 17p per hour.