You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - April 2013

RE: Go North East
(10 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm)Andreos1 wrote Also, because of the link to the timetables, if you want to find a journey from Houghton to Castletown to pick up your car from its MOT say - then because there isn't a direct bus between the two places, your search returns no results.

Probably worth flagging that up with GNE, it looks like they are using the same software that runs the 'Services in your Area' ie - type Birtley and you'll get 21, X22 etc etc. It's most likely easier for them to link to travel line or transportdirect.
Seen a Yellow duel door Volvo B10BLE / Wright Renown on the 9 this afternoon, think it was around 5pm.

Any idea when these will be branded.

Heard a rumour, 1 of the Omi's have being branded for the 19, any truth?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
On the subject of the WTX breakdown earlier today and following on from a recent topic about the TTX vehicles, TTX 6045 was also reported to have broken down at Middlesbrough.
Two days this week 4949 has been confirmed to have been used on the X9/X10. Think the spare has seen quite a lot of usage also.
Wouldn't surprise me if 3827 has been used once or twice also!

Totalling up the averages, you'd actually think the TTX brand did use Euro 3 vehicles!

I shan't elaborate any further on that "joke" - could imagine quite an uproar would occur if I did! Wink
(11 Apr 2013, 9:41 pm)Daniel wrote On the subject of the WTX breakdown earlier today and following on from a recent topic about the TTX vehicles, TTX 6045 was also reported to have broken down at Middlesbrough.
Two days this week 4949 has been confirmed to have been used on the X9/X10. Think the spare has seen quite a lot of usage also.
Wouldn't surprise me if 3827 has been used once or twice also!

Totalling up the averages, you'd actually think the TTX brand did use Euro 3 vehicles!

I shan't elaborate any further on that "joke" - could imagine quite an uproar would occur if I did! Wink

I have noticed a ''Yellow Bus'' Olympian on the X9/X10 all this week, in addition to 3963 and 4949. Not sure what the problem is with them? - I did get a photo of 3833 on there, a rather bad one but I will share it with you anyway!

[Image: 2qiyeu1.jpg]
Lord Adonis report
Lord Adonis report incl. Integrated Transport via LA7:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979

Interestingly suggests LA7 area ( Tyne & Wear + Durham & Northumberland) which currently work together for NIA should integrate all Ports, Buses, Trains & Metro in a fully co-operating Integrated Transport & Ports regulatory body to benefit the wider region's business & economy.

It seems the report from Lord Adonis is proposing a fully integrated and regulated transport system throughout the LA7 area (Nexus [Tyne & Wear] plus Northumberland and Durham council areas) This wil include better Zonal pricing (examples given show GNE pricing as High! and higher than Arriva or Stagecoach for similar length journeys in the North East) and smart cards to be of a standard higher than the Oyster card system used in London. New payment technologies to be embraced with daily maximum fare limits should also be embraced eg. Visa Contactless Paywave cards etc... - Greater Manchester area is given as a good example of a similar wider connurbation of smaller neighbouring councils coming together to boost the wider region.

Extract:
A SINGLE NETWORK SMARTCARD FOR NORTH EAST BUSES
Following its investigation of the local bus market in Britain outside London, the Competition
Commission found that the lack of competitively-priced tickets valid on all bus operators’
servic es was an important factor in the lack of compet ition in the local bus market. This
detriments passengers and taxpayers, costing in the range of £115m to £305m per year.
The Competition Commission wishes to see more multi-operator ticketing schemes, and in
March 2013 the DfT launched guidance to get more such schemes up and running.
The need for a more integrated network and better solutions for fully integrated ticketing was
also a key finding from informal consultation on delivery of the Tyne & Wear Bus Strategy.
“Network One” is the range of all-operator season tickets already available in Tyne & Wear.
The day rover ticket is only available for all fare zones in Tyne & Wear, covering both bus &
metro. This means that it is priced at a substantial premium over single operator one day
rover bus tickets.
As the fare zone geography between operators differs, the price comparison is not exact.
There is a strong contrast with Sheffield and Oxford, where as a result of recent partnership
agreements, all operator daily tickets are available at a low premium.
In London, where bus es are regulated by Transport for Londo n, and a similar system to
quality contracts is in force, there are no single operator tickets. Instead, a very simple fare
structure is in place using the Oyster smartcard. Any bus trip is £1.40, with a daily maximum
fare of £4.30. This is available on a pay as you go basis..

Quite interesting! Wonder what Nexus and the Bus companies make of the report.
Site Administrator
Two Drifter Cadets on the 38 today, another on the 60 - same allocations as yesterday for those.
SimpliCity 8329 with a broken blind (think it's been like that for a while now though - still going without a peper desty though).
Holmeside services are diverting via Stockton Road.
On VOSA today...

PB0003954/285 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Newcastle Market Stree and Newcastle Market Street given service number 53,54 effective from 08-Apr-2013. To amend Route.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(12 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm)Michael wrote On VOSA today...

PB0003954/285 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Newcastle Market Stree and Newcastle Market Street given service number 53,54 effective from 08-Apr-2013. To amend Route.
This is Rectory Road/Whitehall diversion due Brinkburn Ave closure (Mon-Fri 8am-5pm) for 2 weeks.
Site Administrator
Demonstrator Vehicles
Two rumoured (although unconfirmed) demonstrator vehicles - soon to hit the streets..!

- One for Stanley, in addition to the current Versa in the fleet. No service confirmed for this rumour, as of yet. If I remember from the conversation last night, it's a Streetlite.
- Another for Gateshead, to be used on service 58. Vehicle type unconfirmed.
Intresting.. Wonder what they will try on the 58, the bendies are rubbish.

What was the date when we find out the results of the green bus fund and what companies have bidded for.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(12 Apr 2013, 9:03 pm)Michael wrote Intresting.. Wonder what they will try on the 58, the bendies are rubbish.

What was the date when we find out the results of the green bus fund and what companies have bidded for.

Would a Citaro K be a feasible suggestion? I'd like to say it was... but perhaps hope is blinding me. See below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/routemaster...otostream/
If you mean a Citaro K for the 58, it's too small at just 10.5m. Atleast the full size Citaro would have to be ordered, perhaps the new version would be good which should be in the UK some time next year. It wouldn't suprise me if GNE are looking at replacements for the 58 as the artics seem to be very unreliable.
Optare were flavour of the month - but there apparently seems to be an issue with the Versas and following the farce with the snow and cold weather a few years back, Scania have fallen out of favour.

It would make sense Wright getting in on the act, but I don't get these 'lightweight' vehicles fully.
The state of some roads across the region dont suit them. Yes it may save fuel, but Im not convinced about the build quality (obviously Im no expert).

Who else apart from Wright could be offering vehicles?
Wasn't it the case GNE wouldnt buy from Alexander due to its links with Mr Souter and Stagecoach?
(12 Apr 2013, 9:24 pm)Andreos1 wrote Optare were flavour of the month - but there apparently seems to be an issue with the Versas and following the farce with the snow and cold weather a few years back, Scania have fallen out of favour.

The last thing I ever heard, and it was from the horses mouth so to speak, was when Peter Huntley had said they would not be giving Optare any more business until they were satisfied with the build quality. The Orbit/SimpliCity order apparently tipped them over the edge.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Interesting, so the story was true.
Wonder if they are satisfied now? Or is this why they are getting a load of vehicles on trial from Optare as some sort of test?

They may be decent buses, but the back lanes of Bensham and Seaham are hardly the best roads in the world for a lightweight vehicle like the Versas.
Hmmm Very Interesting.

I think with the Citylink 58 Artics it's mainly the 54reg ones that are the problem, according to my dad who I spoke to at teatime he told me there was 2 of them broke down just of the Tyne Bridge. I think if GNE are considering buying new buses for this service then the standout logical choice capacity wise would be for them to buy Double Deckers in the form of Wright Geminis to replace the Artics. Wonder if there thinking the same for the X66.

As for Optare although I like the Versa I don't think they are a suitable choice for services like the 43/44 which climb up steep banks in the Durham/Stanley area, Personally I would keep the Citaros on that route as they have the power to climb that sort of area.

As for the Streetlite if it is heading for Stanley I would say it would be tested on the 43/44 to compare against the Versa. Otherwise myself personally would use it on the 8/78.
I heard GNE paid £5,000 for each citaro artic. maybe less not sure. the 57reg arn't that bad minus the screeching noise from the part of the bus. but as said before the 54reg ones are dreadful.

As for these demos hitting the road soon, how close is soon, just I've this sort of question before and it's been like 7 months aways, which to me is ages way.

I would also love to know what GNE have bid for through the Green Bus Fund.
Just thinking out loud to add to what I said last night and other comments, but if GNE aren't happy with Optare, they have had numerous issue's with the Deckers from Wrights and they weren't happy with the seating layouts on the Mercs.
The MAN bus they had on trial led to nothing and there was the major falling out with Scania re the Omnicity's.
And on top of that they allegedly won't touch the Alexander's.

Stick an accordian onto the Citaro bendy buses and no-body will be any the wiser of those squeaks!
Unless these builders can convince GNE to pick their vehicles over the next few years, in what is likely to be a spell of significant vehicle investment - we will have to make do!
Site Administrator
(12 Apr 2013, 10:53 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote As for these demos hitting the road soon, how close is soon, just I've this sort of question before and it's been like 7 months aways, which to me is ages way.

Stanley's demo isn't confirmed for dates, services or anything yet - just that it's believed to be a Streetlite.
Gateshead's demo hasn't had a vehicle type confirmed, though it has had service 58 confirmed as the service it is being used on, and it should be in service by Wednesday/Thursday of next week (presumably arriving on Monday).
Site Administrator
Rob, can you confirm if these rumours of additional demonstrator vehicles are true - or do we have to wait and see..? Wink
Site Administrator
(13 Apr 2013, 10:01 am)Rob wrote
(13 Apr 2013, 9:54 am)Daniel wrote Rob, can you confirm if these rumours of additional demonstrator vehicles are true - or do we have to wait and see..? Wink

Consider it confirmed, there will be a number of demonstrator comparisons taking place. I will emphasis that this does not guarantee purchase for the demonstration route.

Ta! Appreciated.
Are we to expect a single decker, double decker, or another type of articulated vehicle for the 58 demo? Maybe I'm pushing it with the questions... :p
(13 Apr 2013, 11:03 am)Daniel wrote "East Durham" branded MPD 538 at Deptford out on road-test at the moment.

Now on the X7, leaving Middlesbrough at 1410.
Site Administrator
(13 Apr 2013, 11:56 am)Daniel wrote Omnicity 5245 is now branded for "Cobalt Connect". Leaving Nroth Shields Ferry now.

44/46 also done, with the former also having a broken destination blind. Driver reset the blind after it had a fit and it wouldn't turn back on. Should be noted in defect log as it was pointed out by another enthusiast and also by a driver.

43 isn't on the 19s today, but she isn't in the depot either. Could be getting branded elsewhere, as I don't believe she's out today.