You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2016/17 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2016/17 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: Go North East: 2016/17 Financial Year Order Predictions
(29 Aug 2016, 8:02 pm)G-CPTN wrote Don't take the B9s off the TEN.

Whatever is available wouldn't be as good IMO, though I haven't experienced the ex-B&H Omnidekkas - what service have they seen at B&H?

They are rather old . . .

To be honest, I think the TEN suits B9s west of Prudhoe and the Cobalt Clipper would benefit from bigger fuel savings by using Streetdecks in spite of the GKN mods being unsuccessful.

Given their use on the X21, although the B9 is a more proven vehicle type, the Streetdeck shouldn't have any reliability issues on the TEN and would cope if setup correctly. If the TENs were to be replaced despite bigger fuel savings being available on other routes such as those shortlisted for GKN mods, the TTX B9s could get another year or two of service out of them with 6084 becoming a dedicated spare to assist with servicing, maintenance, testing schedules. Not only this but if 17 vehicles (plus 2x spare) were ordered, the link between Blackhall Mill and Crawcrook / Ryton / Blaydon could go back to a half hourly service.

On the other foot though, do the Northerns justify a high specification vehicle? I could see the Northerns being replaced by Washington's B9s by 2018/19 when they'll be due for replacement with the Omnidekkas then taking a back seat role like the Tridents / Vykings and Presidents do now.

RE: Go North East: 2016/17 Financial Year Order Predictions