You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Best of the big three?
(07 Aug 2022, 1:52 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Despite living in the middle of an Arriva area, I rarely find a reason to use their services over the one GNE service we have.

Having said that, when I have used them, other than the presentation of some vehicles, and the quality of some drivers (although that seems to have improved vastly, a few years back I remember having a driver who literally couldn't speak a word of English! How they got the job I'll never know), I don't really have a problem with the service. For the most part they turn up on time and get me where I need to be.

I've recently started to use Arriva to commute to work. The monthly ticket is over £100 cheaper than what I'd need to be paying in fuel at current prices, with the trip only being around 40 mins per day longer on the bus. 

The punctuality of the bus I catch in the morning is always spot on, with the evening bus only really being late on a Friday - though I can always check this while still at work and just leave a bit later. Twice I've been let down on a morning due to mechanical failure and while this is highly inconvenient for most, for me I can always just go and jump in my car so it isn't a huge issue. The comfort and cleanliness of the vehicles is always fine, not "as posh as my car" by any stretch but it isn't advertised as such and so my expectations weren't high going in. I don't use the WiFi, but it's generally always there if needed, and to be honest I've never had the need to see if the sockets/USBs work (though I'd assume they don't). 

In essence, I find the service convenient, good value for money and, usually, reliable. They get the basics right majority of the time, and personally this is the most important part of a bus service.

I can't comment on commuting with GNE/SNE, as bar odd journeys here and there I've never relied on them to get me anywhere, but I would say that Arriva Northumbria at least tend to do a solid, if unremarkable, job.

Best of the big three?