You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
Just read Ben's latest piece on the website. I'm staggered that he can't see how damaging it is, to them as a company, playing out this dispute in public. 

Ben: "Given all parties have agreed to negotiations, we were dismayed to receive notification of strike dates from Unite. The union have proceeded with their plans before giving the upcoming ACAS talks any chance to succeed.", then followed further by "Unfortunately, it appears by the way Unite are pursuing a strike even before ACAS talks begin, that some elements of the union are focussed on disruption rather than dialogue. We believe most of our drivers want to see successful negotiations - as we do."

I'm sure he knows how this works. If Union has to legally give 14 days notice to take industrial action, knowing they'll be challenged in court if they don't, no Union in their right mind would hold back on issuing a strike notice at this stage. If anything, it gives the company a rocket up their backsides to come back round the table with a meaningful offer, instead of the temptation of trying to prolong things. 

Re: this line: "Unite agreed similar changes to work conditions at other operators in the region a long time ago. We are asking the union to keep an open mind and sit down with us to explore changes that will make rosters better for everyone." From experience, I don't think any Unions would completely rule out looking at changes to terms and working conditions, but most won't do, is sell them out without something beneficial to members in return. From the Unite press releases, it sounds like they're being expected to give them up merely in return for a below inflation pay award?

As I've said before, I'm convinced he's not the organ grinder here, but if he's daft enough to put his name to it...

(18 Sep 2023, 3:48 pm)Storx wrote https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...ke-action/

Seen the strike dates have formally been announced now.

Looks like they mean business then. Going for two 7 day stints to start with.

Hopefully people will get along to support the picket lines, when details are published.

(18 Sep 2023, 4:42 pm)Dan wrote Interesting both parties are claiming that the other did not want to negotiate.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/go-north-e...ACAS-talks

I think 'come back to the negotiating table with an improved offer' is probably key here. For ACAS talks to have any chance of success, there's got to be some common ground or something that can be worked on first.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages