You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(21 Sep 2023, 2:15 pm)Adrian wrote It can be tricky yeah, because even if you agreed through collective bargaining to do it now, there's always the possibility you'll win a big piece of work and then take new drivers in on TUPE terms. This, I suspect, will be more common in a world of franchising.

The problem that I see, is that people like NF always think that they're doing a great job, when the reality is that they probably have little clue what it's like on the ground. To be frank, a lot of customers are sick to the back teeth of bus operators at the minute. Yet very little of that is down to the actions or responsibility of the person behind the wheel, who usually takes the flack.

It's funny that you mention TUPE. When GNE cancelled my contract (I used to do the 4274 Coxhoe scholars) I, in theory could have stayed with the contract and went to the new operator (JH I believe) but GNE management didn't know how TUPE worked (it was also suggested to the Union as an option) but instead I wad paid off.

The thing with NF is he has a reputation but those who hired him must know something or think he is good. I had the misfortune of working at Arriva when he was there too. Is what is happening now at GNE a watered down version of what he did at GNW with fire and rehire (without the firing and rehiring)? 

Each operator has their own advantages and disadvantages to work for (hourly rate, depot location, minimum guaranteed hours etc) but if these were all broadly similar would that help the situation rather than a race to the bottom with terms and conditions? I know of a driver who went from GNE and straight onto his preferred rota (splits) at Stagecoach.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages