You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(29 Sep 2023, 12:28 pm)Adrian wrote Generally speaking, they aren't, but you're talking about a situation where tensions are extremely high. It's always going to be the case when money is involved. Most unions operate hardship funds, so those that are genuinely in need of hardship to strike, will be supported out of funds.

People of course, legally, have the right to still attend work if they so desire, but I sometimes think at the same time they expect a pat on the back for doing so. Whilst they have every right to work, those on strike have the right to try and persuade them or refuse to speak to them.

To talk about hostility, I think it's worth looking at the communications that the company have put out. They've been specifically written to try and make union members (their own employees) out to be public enemy number one. Furthermore, they've allowed abuse of their drivers to continue on their social media platforms, when in the past they've limited comments and such to avoid this.
That's good if the union has a hardship fund and if people are still getting money. I know when my previous job looked at strike action, we would not have got any support from the union. I guess some unions are better than others.

I 100% agree that the company, especially in this case are being just as hostile, and I criticise them for that too. GNE management seem to be an absolute shambles these days, sadly it doesn't come as much of a surprise that they aren't handling the situation well. 

I agree those striking have the right to try and persuade non strike members to join them. I would argue that in 2023, there should be code of conducts for employee behaviour, and everyone should remember that even when it's a dispute about a strike, every member of staff has the right to make a complaint if they feel they are being bullied or harassed. Something everyone on both sides would be wise to remember.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages