You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(04 Oct 2023, 3:04 pm)Storx wrote Yeah don't dispute that but the way he done it by slashing it across the board just doesn't make sense when you're making a loss. The fares now are pretty much just back to where they were before the cuts now so it didn't work but it just left a hole in the middle. Some of the fares were just stupid like £1.70 anywhere in North Tyneside and Northumberland. Without government support it's no wonder the 19 died, when it's £1.70 for a fare from Ashington to North Shields which is just unrealistic.

The County Durham fares were just as bad, £2 from Seaham to Durham, Chester Le Street to Bishop Auckland or Durham to Consett, that's not economical either, unless you've got decker loads of people without government support.

Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a push of tap in and out like Arriva has, of all operators. Personally I think you'd sell it much better to commuters a system of just tap your card in and out, you'll never pay more than £30 a week or £90 a month or whatever the fares are and if you use it less, we'll charge you less. Takes away all the confusion of zones and bollocks.

I think the issue boils down to thinking titivations and cheaper fares would be enough to attract customers. 

They seemed convinced it would work and somehow stacked up the business case to get the cheques signed off. 
Despite not actually doing in-depth research with customers or car-users and finding out if it was what was actually needed or wanted. 

I'd argue that if they were used as part of a wider strategy, then they may have had more success. 

As it was, they were basically charging less - for the same old, but with a few new toys added. 
Those new toys didn't create much desire at all and there didn't seem to be any other strategy or plan other than blind optimism.
Hence no success and a financial hole left over, that must be huge. 

I said these things at the time and was told I was wrong. 
I was told tables and lower fares were getting the network ready post-covid.
They certainly did that. Ready for failure.

There's so many studies that have been done on the correlation between lower fares and increase in passengers. It worked for Easyjet and Ryanair - the huge difference being, they adapt their network to suit customer demands. Not operational needs.
Whereas GNE, well... They kept the same old, but did some titivating.

(04 Oct 2023, 4:12 pm)Dan wrote After seeing videos on social media of some of the malicious acts being carried out by some of those on picket lines, and the abuse that managers, supervisors, clerical staff and any non-union drivers have received, I am not surprised that coverage is worsening. 

To answer your question, no it doesn’t look good to passengers. Nor does it look good that people can’t get to the shops, their doctors appointment, to work, or otherwise, because no local buses are running.

Strikes are designed to be disruptive, and should be a last resort.

This is what Unite wanted to achieve - and this is what they have achieved.

Here’s hoping both sides can return to talks as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder what the uplift, time off in lieu or overtime rate is, for those staff getting behind the wheel?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages