You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(29 Oct 2023, 7:09 pm)mb134 wrote I'm not too sure how that is all worked out to be honest, just used it as an example for easy maths to show the growth needed. I had thought that it was based on passenger numbers/revenue before the introduction, with the reviews to reflect any growth that the £2 fares have had? 

Looking at it another way, though, their All Zones day ticket is £7.50 on the app. They'd need an extra 2500 of those sold per day to get in the £19000 of extra daily revenue needed to pay for the pay increases. 

On the passenger numbers, I can only see 175,000 per day stated in that article? "As one of the main bus operators in the area, the company has a fleet of almost 700 buses and coaches and said about 175,000 people usually boarded its services each day.".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claiming-the...very-grant

Here's some light reading. I hate Government grants/tenders etc and I'm too tired/hungover to do the maths, but the 200k they were originally carrying needs to grow regardless of any wage increase.

As a business, it's clear from the outside they're not achieving the growth and I genuinely don't know what the mindset is when we keep seeing the push for profit via cuts and cost savings vs profit via growth and expansion.

(29 Oct 2023, 7:25 pm)Storx wrote To be fair though, assume there's 500 buses on a road every day. It's only 5 passenger per bus every day. Seems a lot but when you break it down it's not really much at all.

Just picking the 20/20A which is every 15 minutes between Durham and Sunderland. There's roughly 100 runs with both directions combined, if you got an extra 3 passengers on each run (not exactly unrealistic - this was 6 BPH pre Covid adding the X10 in) then you're 15% or so of the way there already. Do the same on the 21, 56 and X1 and you'll be pretty much nearly there.

And that's why I think the idea of cutting fares could have played a part in the growth. 
You've said yourself it's only a handful of passengers per run across a variety of services. 

The long gone eezypeazy never really liked what I said when I brought up similar points to the one you've just made, in the past. 
That 21 from Chester that relied on the early 71s and 34s feeding in to it in Chester, inevitably saw numbers drop when the loss making runs on the 71 and 34 were axed. Only small numbers dropped off those 21s, but it somehow came as a huge shock when particular 21s on a morning were axed too.

I'd love to know what the impact on the X1 has been with the constant meddling of the Washington locals over the years. 
Whether it was ANE doing the evening runs, JH doing daytime runs or GNE running it commercially, there must be a consequence and impact with the X1.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages