You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(16 Nov 2023, 9:38 am)streetdeckfan wrote I'm sorry but it's completely stupid to say that GNE are forcing drivers to rely on the overtime.

If people are relying on the regular overtime to survive, that's a them problem not a GNE problem.

GNE didn't force their drivers to get themselves into debt to the point where they need the overtime.

GNE didn't force their drivers to have children they couldn't afford.

GNE didn't cause the drivers partner to lose their job so they now have to rely on one income.

GNE didn't even put Liz Truss into power allegedly causing the economy to go tits up.

If the drivers aren't living within their means, that's entirely on them and absolutely nothing to do with GNE.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

So would you be advocating the bus drivers to look for alternate employment to improve their income? 

Obviously the outcome of that is a shortage of drivers, which is what we've witnessed these past few years.

Making the job unappealing, through poor compensation packages and (allegedly) deteriorating terms and conditions is the fault of the companies, and should probably be a top priority to fix.

I think there needs to be a change of how people view salaries in this country. The amount of comments you see on social media slating the drivers for wanting a better wage because "x workers are only paid £x" is quite sad. There are a decent chunk of people who still view what was deemed a good salary 10-15 years ago as good today - when that's not the case at all.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages