You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

RE: North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
(16 Mar 2024, 8:28 am)F114TML wrote That second bus would still likely run late, as it'd then be picking up two bus loads of people between newcastle and washington, likely with the driver getting a nice earful at every stop too.

I really don't think that'd be the case. At that time of the evening, the X1 is very much a 'drop-off' service between Gateshead and Houghton, and it only serves a handful of stops anyway. 

As much as I have sympathy for drivers getting an earful from customers, I don't think it's a good enough reason to avoid taking action to get a bus back running on time. 

This was just a single example too. There's plenty of times that we've seen extremely late 21s or 56s going into Newcastle, instead of transferring them onto the one behind and turning at Gateshead. Doing that saves the bus about 20 minutes, and is usually all it needs to get back on time. 

(19 Mar 2024, 12:03 am)DaveFromUpNorth wrote The previous bus wouldn't pick up two bus loads to an extent the balance would be equal.

What we possibly need through the BSIP money Is "funded" hourly express service Newcastle Gateshead  Heworth Metro & Washington Galleries only

And similar scenario to assist buses getting back on track

This express service runs hourly however if there is late running of services similar to above where 2/3 buses are stuck together to push buses off to run an "extra service" of this express type

Passengers at Eldon Square can be told (via driver announcement to let to pass the message down the queue) like Chinese whispers) this bus stops only at these three stops your ticket for onward journey would be valid on a specific connecting bus of the X1 or stay on this bus for all stops to XYZ however there is a 14 min wait at the galleries but you can board the bus in front with your ticket.

All the driver would have to do is issue a ticket on the ticket machine "permit to transfer" a new special ticket to pass to a connecting  service

A destination screen perhaps saying Extra bus
(19 Mar 2024, 10:54 am)Storx wrote Disagree strongly personally with an express via Heworth. There's an Metro stop there why duplicate the journey. 

How many express buses does Washington Galleries need considering the vast majority of Washington can't get to Newcastle with changing to another bus which is a chore as an understatement. 

What would be better imo is a frequent express loop around Washington similar to the X63 in Killingworth so the vast majority of people can get to Newcastle outside their front door. 

It's bonkers there isn't already, you could make a similar case for a similar bus towards Sunderland aswell utilising the 2/2A

I think the X1 needs to go back to every 10 (or even 12) minutes, that's the problem. I don't think BSIP money should be funding that, when most buses between Newcastle and Washington are packed.

If you're going to use BSIP money to develop an express, then it should be a Washington Galleries to Heworth express. Concord to there isn't too bad, as it's around a 17 minute journey time, but the Galleries acts as a hub to other services feeding it. Running non-stop, you'd probably be able to do the journey in 15 minutes.

The spokes feeding it (generally the 8/82/84/85) would have a maximum journey of about 12 minutes before either reaching the Galleries or Concord for an (X4*)/4, so if you managed your connections correctly, you'd be laughing.

I'd actually take the Ayton part from the 50 and add it to that, and you should still be able to run a half hourly service with 2 buses.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

RE: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
Ne14ne1
RE: Ne14ne1
Ne14ne1
£804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
Ne14ne1