Menu

MurdnunoC   10 Apr 2015, 2:16 pm
(10 Apr 2015, 6:39 am)Andreos1 wrote I have had a look in the Bygone Era, but can't find anything apart from the via Racecourse Estate - Gateshead services.
I am pretty sure there was a route that went via Southend Road AND Whinlatter Road, Whinbuy Road, Church Road and on to the Metrocentre.
Any record of it in your collection?
Not sure if it was a Big Orange service, or if my memory is playing tricks on me.

It may have been the 61/62 circular service you remember, however it didn't serve Southend Road, Whinlatter Road, Whinbury Road or Church Road.

.gif
61-62.gif (Size 48.68 KB Downloads 37)

The 'Big Orange' services may have been operated by a company called Easyway. Initially, they had services 60 and 61 which operated between Gateshead and Metrocentre only but I do recall the route being extended towards Felling Square at some point so it is possible, I guess, that one of these services went via the High Fell area. 

I also vaguley recall the 60 being operated by North Eastern with an extension to the Team Valley Retail World via Durham Road and Low Fell. GNE may have also ran another service in competition with this but, unfortunately, I don't have the timetables to corroborate.