You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
4992 was struggling this morning.
Having to change down a gear on even the slightest of inclines.

Dread to think what it will have been like on Leazes Bowl, Gilesgate Bank or Houghton Cut.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 Nov 2014, 11:09 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Does any one know where deptford mpds are today

When are you going to give it a rest with all of the spamming - it's getting on my nerves. 
Go North East - Latest
(20 Nov 2014, 10:57 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Ok if it does whats the point in having a branded bus just youse any thing on it

Well....the X66 is nearly always packed, and I guess you could say it's one of GNE's most revenue-earning services. I think it needs a brand through which it can be identifiable, really.
(20 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm)Marcus wrote Well....the X66 is nearly always packed, and I guess you could say it's one of GNE's most revenue-earning services. I think it needs a brand through which it can be identifiable, really.

The X66 actually probably isn't one of the most revenue earning services, as most of the passengers are OAPS, or already have a pass. 
Go North East - Latest
(20 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm)Tom wrote The X66 actually probably isn't one of the most revenue earning services, as most of the passengers are OAPS, or already have a pass. 

Most times when I'm on it (normally my primary connection from G'head to the MetroCentre) a lot of kids get on and hand over ten pound notes, etc.

I'd say it easily takes in about £20+ in cash fares every time it leaves either point.
(20 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm)Marcus wrote Most times when I'm on it (normally my primary connection from G'head to the MetroCentre) a lot of kids get on and hand over ten pound notes, etc.

I'd say it easily takes in about £20+ in cash fares every time it leaves either point.

Think £20 is pushing it to be honest. Maybe on some, but not all. 
(20 Nov 2014, 4:21 pm)Marcus wrote Fair point, there are some runs that I've been on only left Gateshead with about 15 people on. During the middle of the day, I'd say it's lucky if 10 get on at MetroCentre!

Aye, it depends what time of day your using it. 
Site Administrator
(20 Nov 2014, 10:23 am)Michael wrote Tongue, well ya knar i want to know the changes, its a bit unfair that they're only putting the results online and not the proposed changes, even if they're just to look at! 

I'd rather look at the proposed changes and email them my concerns etc 

Not everyone will be able to attend the consultation at Park Lane, similar to how in the past, not everyone has had Internet access to be able to give their feedback with online questionnaires...

Truth of the matter is - no one method is the best way of gathering feedback from customers. Cost will always be prohibitive, limiting the company to certain methods. This is a learning curve for the company, and at least they are trying new ways to engage with customers...

(20 Nov 2014, 10:29 am)Andreos1 wrote If they're wanting to make changes, based on the opinions of a small minority - let them get on with it.

Sunderland isn't a market that is dominated by GNE and I am sure someone else will quite happily snaffle up those passengers who end up loosing out.
Either way, there will be changes in Sunderland in 6 months time (there never is a settled set of routes). You might be able to get to that session!

I do agree with you though.

Bit of a brash statement...

Sampling techniques do see a small percentage of people questioned, but the view of one of these people is likely to represent the view of a lot of other customers anyway (much like it does in the actual results). If Go North East were only going to receive the same feedback time and time again, day by day, it would have been a pointless exercise and the time of the employees could have been used more effectively doing other jobs.

Thousands of people go through Park Lane having travelled on buses each day. These people primarily use Go North East buses because they almost have the monopoly at that bus station.
If there's going to be a re-jig up of a number of services which go through Park Lane, the best way to catch a lot of customers is to be in Park Lane (where most customers will travel to/from).

There may be service changes every six months, but how do you know that the services in this consultation will be the same as the services affected in the previous consultation? You don't... Service changes only happen due to changes in customer travelling habits; if customers start making alternative arrangements (for whatever reason) and the company is losing custom on a certain service, changes need to be made to attract these customers back (or even new customers).

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle as it seems nobody is actually listening to the other side of the argument here... Recent posts on this forum have all seemingly suggested that the company doesn't want to hear the views of customers, they've made up their minds already, etc...
Why, therefore, would they hold the consultation? I don't believe that Stagecoach on Teesside held a consultation for their upcoming service changes on Teesside - they simply went ahead and did it.
Can anyone explain why Go North East employees are therefore going to be based in a bus station to collate market research all day, why the company has invited customers to the consultation on their Social Media pages, why the company has gone to the effort of printing notices and pinning them up on Deptford-based buses to attract as many customers to the consultation as possible?

(20 Nov 2014, 10:33 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Well ok then could 5337/8 transfer to deptford for work on 35 releasing 4945/6 away

The purpose of Mercedes Citaros 5337/38 being at Stanley in corporate livery was to give the "Diamond" two spare vehicles. If they aren't required on there, they can be used on other services (especially on a Sunday, when it's been a fairly regular occurrence for them to appear on "Lime" services 78/78A)... Let's not forget that these vehicles have only been in corporate livery for nine months - same as before, why would the company paint them red then paint them gold a few months down the line for no purpose at all?

(20 Nov 2014, 10:34 am)Michael wrote The 29 has survived for a while! =P

Because it's been a commercial success.

Service 26 carried very few passenger numbers prior to those service changes in January, but the loadings on service 29 are very healthy now. It goes to show that the evolving market showed demand for a through route to Doxford Park from North Sunderland, and indeed showed demand to justify a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunderland to Doxford Park!

Service changes are often thought to be 'pointless', and a number of enthusiasts on this forum alone use it as a basis for criticism. Why? Service changes are often formed on the basis of what has already been requested by customers, and they are then well planned to be commercially viable from a team with umpteen amount of years experience doing this... Customers don't always benefit from service changes as some runs of services with low use are sometimes chopped, but I'd suggest that most customers do benefit from changes on the majority of occasions. Whether it's faster journey times, new links being created, or later journey times being implemented...

(20 Nov 2014, 10:36 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote On another note 555-559 have not been repainted since 2010 they need a repaint could tynedale get mini solos or survive with mpds for now

I'd imagine that they will receive their final repaint prior to sale soon. It had previously been suggested that Dennis MPD/Transbus Mini Pointer 524 (NA52 AWG) would act as a spare vehicle whilst buses are away for repaint during this time.

(20 Nov 2014, 10:37 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Ah ok on lasers 53 regs have not 4945/6

Scania L94UB/Wright Solars 4945 and 4946 were repainted in October 2012. They've been painted gold for two years now - it would have been a waste of money painting these buses gold for them to only carry the livery for two years, when there's not a great deal wrong with the paintwork?

(20 Nov 2014, 10:42 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote How long till 51 reg bendys go on x40 and be replaced by 57 reg artics with something new on x66

Due to the high running costs by operating the Scania L94UA/Wright Solar Fusion vehicles, I'd imagine that the company are making plans to dispose of them. Their sale value will be rapidly falling, and they're certainly not the most reliable of vehicles.
I can't see the articulated Mercedes Citaros remaining in the fleet if service X66 receives investment; indeed, I believe Brighton & Hove still have a couple of older artics that they could replace...

(20 Nov 2014, 10:44 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Whats going on 128 as 4847 is past out

Not sure if I've interpreted this question correctly, but I'll still attempt at answering...

When Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4847 is sold, I'd imagine that service 128 will continue to be operated by a Volvo B10 vehicle - just one of the newer ones that isn't disposed of this year.

(20 Nov 2014, 10:48 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote I may answer my question on 128 if 9 gets an update soon 5274 could go on 128 if percys pvr 3 like i said before 5247-49 on 9 and some thing for deptford

Service 9 is unlikely to receive a vehicle upgrade any time soon.

(20 Nov 2014, 10:57 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote Ok if it does whats the point in having a branded bus just youse any thing on it

The "X66 Metrocentre" branded vehicles are only allocated to service X66 - it's VERY rare for them to appear on anything but service X66. Simply put, if they're not on service X66, they're in the depot (for whatever reason that may be)...

The PVR is 5 vehicles on Saturdays, which is why red Optare Versas 5389/90 regularly appear then.

(20 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm)Andreos1 wrote 4992 was struggling this morning.
Having to change down a gear on even the slightest of inclines.

Dread to think what it will have been like on Leazes Bowl, Gilesgate Bank or Houghton Cut.

Was alright this afternoon - but this was admittedly only on the roundabout out of Park Lane and up Durham Road.

(20 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm)Marcus wrote Well....the X66 is nearly always packed, and I guess you could say it's one of GNE's most revenue-earning services. I think it needs a brand through which it can be identifiable, really.

Certainly isn't one of the biggest earners as has already been pointed out, but does generate a fair amount of revenue. Peak times with shoppers really help the X66 out, as runs during the day can run near enough empty.
(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan wrote Because it's been a commercial success.

Service 26 carried very few passenger numbers prior to those service changes in January, but the loadings on service 29 are very healthy now. It goes to show that the evolving market showed demand for a through route to Doxford Park from North Sunderland, and indeed showed demand to justify a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunderland to Doxford Park!

Service changes are often thought to be 'pointless', and a number of enthusiasts on this forum alone use it as a basis for criticism. Why? Service changes are often formed on the basis of what has already been requested by customers, and they are then well planned to be commercially viable from a team with umpteen amount of years experience doing this... Customers don't always benefit from service changes as some runs of services with low use are sometimes chopped, but I'd suggest that most customers do benefit from changes on the majority of occasions. Whether it's faster journey times, new links being created, or later journey times being implemented...

Can see the difference straight away since changes.

I have a feeling we will see some good changes for Sunderland next year! 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:
  • Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, a repaint postponed from the summer due to being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today).
  • Percy Main's "Northern" branded Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6025 (V325 LGC) into corporate livery.
(20 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm)Dan wrote Anyway, in an attempt to get some different discussion flowing... The following vehicles have arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint:
  • Stanley's "Northern" branded Dennis Trident/East Lancs Lolyne 3876 (W186 SCU) into corporate livery, having returned to service after being on long-term VOR.
  • Deptford's "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro 0530N/Mercedes Citaro 5326 (NK58 DWD) for a freshen up silver repaint, which has gone instead of 5323 (for reasons unbeknown to me, as 5323 was out in service today)
  • Percy Main's "Northern" branded Volvo B7TL/Plaxton President 6025 (V325 LGC) into corporate livery.

Wouldn't mind seen a new design for the Silver Arrows, shame we getting the same one as last time and the time before! =( 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Banned
(20 Nov 2014, 3:45 pm)Tom wrote When are you going to give it a rest with all of the spamming - it's getting on my nerves. 

Am in the same boat as you Tom i know how you feel i feel the same now i almost told him to stop spanning last night but was too tired 
(20 Nov 2014, 10:34 am)Michael wrote The 29 has survived for a while! =P

29 does really well I've seen big loads on both sides of the wear
(20 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm)gneasy91 wrote 29 should really termanait at sunderland because ive seen the 29 empty when it gets to boldon i liked to old 26 route lol

No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.
Site Administrator
(21 Nov 2014, 7:39 am)Tom wrote No it shouldn't. The loadings are actually very good around Downhill and Southwick when I've seen it, but the loadings to Boldon ASDA aren't the best.

..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

Nobody travels from Sunderland City Centre to Boldon ASDA using service 29 due to the fact service 9 does it quicker and it's more frequent.

In the Castletown area, service 29 is very good though. Begs the question why service 26 wasn't as good on this section of the route before - perhaps these customers had contacted Go North East to create a through service onward to Doxford Park, and maybe this is the reason why Go North East made the changes and have grabbed customers back again?
(21 Nov 2014, 7:49 am)Dan wrote ..and this is primarily due to the fact there are now five buses per hour between some parts of North Sunderland estates (29 and X36) and Boldon ASDA, and customers opt for the one which comes first more often than not.

Nobody travels from Sunderland City Centre to Boldon ASDA using service 29 due to the fact service 9 does it quicker and it's more frequent.

In the Castletown area, service 29 is very good though. Begs the question why service 26 wasn't as good on this section of the route before - perhaps these customers had contacted Go North East to create a through service onward to Doxford Park, and maybe this is the reason why Go North East made the changes and have grabbed customers back again?

I seen two 29's yesterday both had no seats left.. 1 was heading towards Castletown and the other Doxford park... this was at about 2pm-2:30pm.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Nov 2014, 5:07 pm)Dan wrote Not everyone will be able to attend the consultation at Park Lane, similar to how in the past, not everyone has had Internet access to be able to give their feedback with online questionnaires...

Truth of the matter is - no one method is the best way of gathering feedback from customers. Cost will always be prohibitive, limiting the company to certain methods. This is a learning curve for the company, and at least they are trying new ways to engage with customers...

Bit of a brash statement...

Sampling techniques do see a small percentage of people questioned, but the view of one of these people is likely to represent the view of a lot of other customers anyway (much like it does in the actual results). If Go North East were only going to receive the same feedback time and time again, day by day, it would have been a pointless exercise and the time of the employees could have been used more effectively doing other jobs.

Thousands of people go through Park Lane having travelled on buses each day. These people primarily use Go North East buses because they almost have the monopoly at that bus station.
If there's going to be a re-jig up of a number of services which go through Park Lane, the best way to catch a lot of customers is to be in Park Lane (where most customers will travel to/from).

There may be service changes every six months, but how do you know that the services in this consultation will be the same as the services affected in the previous consultation? You don't... Service changes only happen due to changes in customer travelling habits; if customers start making alternative arrangements (for whatever reason) and the company is losing custom on a certain service, changes need to be made to attract these customers back (or even new customers).

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle as it seems nobody is actually listening to the other side of the argument here... Recent posts on this forum have all seemingly suggested that the company doesn't want to hear the views of customers, they've made up their minds already, etc...
Why, therefore, would they hold the consultation? I don't believe that Stagecoach on Teesside held a consultation for their upcoming service changes on Teesside - they simply went ahead and did it.
Can anyone explain why Go North East employees are therefore going to be based in a bus station to collate market research all day, why the company has invited customers to the consultation on their Social Media pages, why the company has gone to the effort of printing notices and pinning them up on Deptford-based buses to attract as many customers to the consultation as possible?

We all know the company have been doing these consultations, across the entire region for quite a few years. I would be slightly concerned if they still viewed it as a learning curve - particularly at the costs involved in each consultation.

There have been points made, with links to specific examples of ambiguous questions - such as the M1/Herrington Burn debacle.

We have already discussed the 1/24 consultation and changes being made on a sample of 4/5% of the population and an 8% return rate.

It has already been pointed out numerous times, that sampling is flawed. I have provided quotes and references to research/studies on sampling in the Passenger Focus thread.

Sampling has been used in the past, in previous consultations - the almost 'twice annual' North Sunderland estate changes are based on those previous consultations.
The company have made changes, based on the feedback they have obtained, yet not long after, have needed to make changes again. Travel patterns won't have altered drastically in that time, yet passenger numbers/financial figures haven't stacked up.
Why?
Did passengers lie? Did the end result differ to the initial proposal? Were the questions misleading? Was reliability an issue following the changes? Or... Was the sample not big enough? 
How many service revisions have we seen in North Sunderland? How many services have been, gone, come back - been jiggled about and then replaced over the last 8 years?

I have said it before and will say it again - there needs to be a range of mediums used in these consultations.
Whether it is a mixture, a combination or all of: Internet, leaflet, face to face, door calls, obtained over a longer period or anything else - only then will you gain the opinions from a wide sample of existing and potential customers.
5275 now has Blaydon Racer branding and out on 49/49B.

Another one is also done, and was parked in Riverside at Lunchtime. (not 5278)

5202 is still on loan to Riverside, and on Toonlink today.
(21 Nov 2014, 1:40 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote 4937 has departed PL with a cloud of smoke coming from the Rear, might have another Engine Bay Fire on our Hands.

Have we got another stalking situation on our hands though?
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(21 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Not yet
Just seen him on Fawcett Street with his Dad, said areet and got blanked by the little twat.
Go North East - Latest
Dennis Trident Plaxton President 3886 (NK51 UCO) has re-entered service at Stanley depot but none of its destination displays work. Lolyne 3803 remains VOR.