You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(30 May 2014, 5:28 pm)aureolin wrote Probably better getting the earlier one. I think it leaves about half 11? You chance to get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep on that one.

Would if I could, i'll be fine with a Litre or 2 of Lucozade to keep me going through the Day, Below are the Departure Times.

Departs 01:40 Newcastle , John Dobson Street
Arrives 08:00 London , Victoria Coach Station

Departs 06:25 Newcastle , John Dobson Street
Arrives 14:00 London , Victoria Coach Station

Departs 08:40 Newcastle , John Dobson Street
Arrives 15:30 London , Victoria Coach Station

Departs 14:20 Newcastle , John Dobson Street
Arrives 21:00 London , Victoria Coach Station
(30 May 2014, 5:40 pm)Dan wrote Was thinking about doing the trip in two legs...

One from NCL to PBO on East Coast, staying in PBO for a bit for some photos.
Followed by PBO to NOT on East Midlands Trains.

Cost prohibitive though, I guess.

Doesn't actually add a great deal to the price. Tickets are working out around the £35 mark each way to Nottingham, and Peterborough is the same as that. It's only £10 between Peterborough and Nottingham.

Travelling on the 12th, there's the option of something like:
Newcastle (0722) - Peterborough (0951) - £36.50
Peterborough (1225) - Nottingham (1336) - £10.00
Nottingham (1837) - Newcastle (2142) - £34.00 (2 changes)

For solely Nottingham, and if Sean could make the 0825 East Coast to Grantham, we could do that. From there, there's a 1046 East Midlands train to Nottingham, which would get us there at 1123. RSH are listing that fare at £34 at the moment. You could get the same 1837 back for £34.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(30 May 2014, 6:12 pm)aureolin wrote Doesn't actually add a great deal to the price. Tickets are working out around the £35 mark each way to Nottingham, and Peterborough is the same as that. It's only £10 between Peterborough and Nottingham.

Travelling on the 12th, there's the option of something like:
Newcastle (0722) - Peterborough (0951) - £36.50
Peterborough (1225) - Nottingham (1336) - £10.00
Nottingham (1837) - Newcastle (2142) - £34.00 (2 changes)

For solely Nottingham, and if Sean could make the 0825 East Coast to Grantham, we could do that. From there, there's a 1046 East Midlands train to Nottingham, which would get us there at 1123. RSH are listing that fare at £34 at the moment. You could get the same 1837 back for £34.

I'll have to think about it. If I'm getting the 0825 it is £42.70 just from Newcastle to Grantham - add in Haltwhistle to Newcastle and Grantham to Nottingham, it could possibly be £70 for me in total - a bit too much than I want to spend, ideally!

I'll look at other options too though - maybe XC all the way to Derby then changing there, for example.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(30 May 2014, 7:09 pm)northern156 wrote I'll have to think about it. If I'm getting the 0825 it is £42.70 just from Newcastle to Grantham - add in Haltwhistle to Newcastle and Grantham to Nottingham, it could possibly be £70 for me in total - a bit too much than I want to spend, ideally!

I'll look at other options too though - maybe XC all the way to Derby then changing there, for example.

Nottingham isn't a great place to get to from the North unfortunately, so there's a lack of competitive fares. I'd have no probs paying that as I've wanted some Trent Barton photos for ages now.
(30 May 2014, 7:09 pm)northern156 wrote I'll have to think about it. If I'm getting the 0825 it is £42.70 just from Newcastle to Grantham - add in Haltwhistle to Newcastle and Grantham to Nottingham, it could possibly be £70 for me in total - a bit too much than I want to spend, ideally!

Checked my CrossCountry app and they have the 08.25 to Grantham and onto Nottingham for £34.

The through ticket combined from Haltwhistle, using the same trains from Newcastle is £36.

£33.30 on the next train out of Haltwhistle and on CrossCountry via Sheffield.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(03 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm)aureolin wrote Lothian Buses open doors day 2014 has been added to the calendar.

I missed this last year, but I'll 100% be there this year. Many others heading up to Edinburgh for this?

Hopefully!
Site Administrator
(03 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm)aureolin wrote Lothian Buses open doors day 2014 has been added to the calendar.

I missed this last year, but I'll 100% be there this year. Many others heading up to Edinburgh for this?

I will be, yes.

With Showbus the week before (which I hope to attend) and SNE's Stockton Open Day the day after, I think September is going to be a very busy month for me!
(03 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm)Dan wrote I will be, yes.

With Showbus the week before (which I hope to attend) and SNE's Stockton Open Day the day after, I think September is going to be a very busy month for me!

I'll be going there defiantly! Not too sure about the other events, though.

Also, may be worth mentioning that next years SNW Open Day will be at Lillyhall.
Site Administrator
Re: RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(03 Jun 2014, 8:53 pm)Tom wrote I'll be going there defiantly! Not too sure about the other events, though.

Also, may be worth mentioning that next years SNW Open Day will be at Lillyhall.

I did get in touch with someone who works for SNE to see if she could organise for the Sunderland gas bus which will be attending to pick up at the Wheatsheaf and take us down (for a charge), but she doubted the possibility of it due to having to be there before the event starts and the health and safety concerns that are paired with that. She said she would ask and keep me posted though.
(03 Jun 2014, 9:02 pm)Dan wrote I did get in touch with someone who works for SNE to see if she could organise for the Sunderland gas bus which will be attending to pick up at the Wheatsheaf and take us down (for a charge), but she doubted the possibility of it due to having to be there before the event starts and the health and safety concerns that are paired with that. She said she would ask and keep me posted though.

That would be nice - how far away is the depot from the town centre, as I'll just get the X10 down if not?
Site Administrator
(03 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm)Tom wrote That would be nice - how far away is the depot from the town centre, as I'll just get the X10 down if not?

I'd imagine there will be shuttles to/from the High Street.
(03 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm)Dan wrote I will be, yes.

I will be at Showbus (travelling with the 500 Group aboard Generation Travel's entry) and the Stockton Open Day but not the Lothian day - for a start I might not be in any fit state that morning depending when me and my friends decide to go out for my birthday!
Site Administrator
(03 Jun 2014, 9:05 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I will be at Showbus (travelling with the 500 Group aboard Generation Travel's entry) and the Stockton Open Day but not the Lothian day - for a start I might not be in any fit state that morning depending when me and my friends decide to go out for my birthday!

I've still not sorted travel arrangements out for Showbus if I'm honest with a number of doors open.

Is anyone else going down? If so, how you doing it?
(03 Jun 2014, 9:05 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I will be at Showbus (travelling with the 500 Group aboard Generation Travel's entry) and the Stockton Open Day but not the Lothian day - for a start I might not be in any fit state that morning depending when me and my friends decide to go out for my birthday!

Night out in Edinburgh perhaps? Wink
(03 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm)Tom wrote That would be nice - how far away is the depot from the town centre, as I'll just get the X10 down if not?

From the present X10 stop in Stockton towards Middlesbrough, it's about a 5 minutes walk - I've done it plenty of times from the southern end of the High Street (which adds another 5 minutes onto the time).

(03 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm)Dan wrote I'd imagine there will be shuttles to/from the High Street.

Not sure yet (they've only just started the meetings) but I would think so using a mix of vehicles. There's also Leven Valley's service 85 from Stockton (which will require additional payments).

(03 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm)Dan wrote I've still not sorted travel arrangements out for Showbus if I'm honest with a number of doors open.

Is anyone else going down? If so, how you doing it?

Went with the 500 Group/Generation last year (departed Stockton depot about 5am, back about 9pm) and it was a good day (bar the amount of wasps and other insects flying around although that shouldn't be a problem at Duxford this year). Last year they took their Gold-livered Neoplan YR02UOD but I understand they are taking Setra T222GEN.
(03 Jun 2014, 9:11 pm)aureolin wrote Night out in Edinburgh perhaps? Wink

Not a chance - considering the majority of the group will likely be at work the next day and half of them wouldn't be interested in the event the following day anyway.

To echo Kuyoyo, it isn't that far of a walk.
If you can have a look at a map of Stockton High St/Church Rd and look east (follow the road), you will see Maritime Road/Portrack Lane/Clarence Rd - that is where the depot is.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(03 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Went with the 500 Group/Generation last year (departed Stockton depot about 5am, back about 9pm) and it was a good day (bar the amount of wasps and other insects flying around although that shouldn't be a problem at Duxford this year). Last year they took their Gold-livered Neoplan YR02UOD but I understand they are taking Setra T222GEN.

How much did it cost you last year or how much will it cost you this year with Generation?
(03 Jun 2014, 9:34 pm)Dan wrote How much did it cost you last year or how much will it cost you this year with Generation?

Cost us £35 to go down including entrance fee if I recall.
For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

But I shall be staying in Ipswich, Newport, Wolverhampton and Widnes.

Sat 20th - Head down via Newark, Boston & Kings Lynn
Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Wed 24th - Drive to Newport Via Haverhill, Stevenage, Aylesbury, Bicester, Cheltenham & Gloucester.
Thu 25th - South Wales by Bus
Fri 26th - Bristol and Bath
Sat 27th - South Wales by Bus
Sun 28th - Drive to Wolverhampton via Kington (For Sargents depot), Hereford, Worcester, Stratford, Redditch & Kidderminster.
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Fri 3rd - Drive to Widnes via Telford, Shrewsbury, Newcastle Under Lyme, Hanley, Crewe, Warrington & Widnes Town Centre.
Sat 4th - Merseyside
Sun 5th - Birkenhead Bus and Tram Rally
Mon 6th - Manchester then home.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm)GMitchelhill wrote For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Wed 24th - Drive to Newport Via Haverhill, Stevenage, Aylesbury, Bicester, Cheltenham & Gloucester.
Sun 28th - Drive to Wolverhampton via Kington (For Sargents depot), Hereford, Worcester, Stratford, Redditch & Kidderminster.
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Fri 3rd - Drive to Widnes via Telford, Shrewsbury, Newcastle Under Lyme, Hanley, Crewe, Warrington & Widnes Town Centre.
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds like a very busy fortnight. Hope the weather stays good for you.
Site Administrator
(03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm)GMitchelhill wrote For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds jam packed. Although I bet it's gonna be a great deal of fun, the cost of that must be massive?!
Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Petrol probably be around £150 to £200 depending on the prices, though prob lower if I drive economically.

Bus fare wise.

Ipswich I will be getting a Plus Bus ticket.

Norwich will be using a multi operator ticket.

South Wales will be using a multi operator ticket.

Bristol and Bath will be using AvonRider.

For West Midlands I be getting a week long pass as it's cheaper than 4 day tickets. That costs around £30. Valid on Metro and Trains.

Merseyside will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains too.

Manchester will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains and Metrolink.

But I plan to be in banging the over time over the next few months, and too be honest, won't be having too many days out in the North East over the summer, with any days that I've booked off focused on various bus rallies. Plus a day in Glasgow during the Commonwelth games.

And also Nottingham this coming Thursday.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(03 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Petrol probably be around £150 to £200 depending on the prices, though prob lower if I drive economically.

Bus fare wise.

Ipswich I will be getting a Plus Bus ticket.

Norwich will be using a multi operator ticket.

South Wales will be using a multi operator ticket.

Bristol and Bath will be using AvonRider.

For West Midlands I be getting a week long pass as it's cheaper than 4 day tickets. That costs around £30. Valid on Metro and Trains.

Merseyside will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains too.

Manchester will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains and Metrolink.

But I plan to be in banging the over time over the next few months, and too be honest, won't be having too many days out in the North East over the summer, with any days that I've booked off focused on various bus rallies. Plus a day in Glasgow during the Commonwelth games.

And also Nottingham this coming Thursday.

Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.
Site Administrator
(04 Jun 2014, 6:34 am)Tom wrote Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.

You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue
(04 Jun 2014, 6:36 am)Dan wrote You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue

If you can get a £29 room then maybe not!
(04 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm)GMitchelhill wrote To be honest Tom over the years I've stayed in Travelodges in Glenrothes, Swavensey (Cambridge) and one near Newton Le Willows and never had a single problem with them.

Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!
My next trip away is in 2 weeks time to Luton for 4 days where I am staying in the Hampton by Hilton hotel at the Airport, which was a bargain at £190 for 4 nights and breakfast included, plus free wi-fi too. The shuttle bus into town stops right outside the hotel, ran by Arriva Shires. I am going to be touring their area for a few days before jetting off to Stockholm with Norwegian on the 787 Wink

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(04 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm)tyresmoke wrote Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!
My next trip away is in 2 weeks time to Luton for 4 days where I am staying in the Hampton by Hilton hotel at the Airport, which was a bargain at £190 for 4 nights and breakfast included, plus free wi-fi too. The shuttle bus into town stops right outside the hotel, ran by Arriva Shires. I am going to be touring their area for a few days before jetting off to Stockholm with Norwegian on the 787 Wink

BIB: I second Scott's comments about Travelodge, having stayed in two (Meadowhall and Perth), never had a problem either time (indeed the one in Perth bent over backwards to make sure 3 of us could have separate beds in a family room).