Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 128 29 30239 Next
03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm #561
For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

But I shall be staying in Ipswich, Newport, Wolverhampton and Widnes.

Sat 20th - Head down via Newark, Boston & Kings Lynn
Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Wed 24th - Drive to Newport Via Haverhill, Stevenage, Aylesbury, Bicester, Cheltenham & Gloucester.
Thu 25th - South Wales by Bus
Fri 26th - Bristol and Bath
Sat 27th - South Wales by Bus
Sun 28th - Drive to Wolverhampton via Kington (For Sargents depot), Hereford, Worcester, Stratford, Redditch & Kidderminster.
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Fri 3rd - Drive to Widnes via Telford, Shrewsbury, Newcastle Under Lyme, Hanley, Crewe, Warrington & Widnes Town Centre.
Sat 4th - Merseyside
Sun 5th - Birkenhead Bus and Tram Rally
Mon 6th - Manchester then home.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm #561

For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Wed 24th - Drive to Newport Via Haverhill, Stevenage, Aylesbury, Bicester, Cheltenham & Gloucester.
Sun 28th - Drive to Wolverhampton via Kington (For Sargents depot), Hereford, Worcester, Stratford, Redditch & Kidderminster.
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Fri 3rd - Drive to Widnes via Telford, Shrewsbury, Newcastle Under Lyme, Hanley, Crewe, Warrington & Widnes Town Centre.
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Adrian

03 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm #562
(03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm)GMitchelhill For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds like a very busy fortnight. Hope the weather stays good for you.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm #562

(03 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm)GMitchelhill For Showbus I'm doing a 2 week road trip. Here is version 2 of the plan. Version 1 got scrapped due to work pressure.

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds like a very busy fortnight. Hope the weather stays good for you.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm #563

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds jam packed. Although I bet it's gonna be a great deal of fun, the cost of that must be massive?!
Dan
03 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm #563

Sun 21st - Showbus
Mon 22nd - Ipswich
Tue 23rd - Norwich
Mon 29th - West Midlands
Tue 30th - West Midlands
Wed 1st - West Midlands
Thu 2nd - West Midlands
Sat 4th - Merseyside

Sounds jam packed. Although I bet it's gonna be a great deal of fun, the cost of that must be massive?!

03 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm #564
Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Petrol probably be around £150 to £200 depending on the prices, though prob lower if I drive economically.

Bus fare wise.

Ipswich I will be getting a Plus Bus ticket.

Norwich will be using a multi operator ticket.

South Wales will be using a multi operator ticket.

Bristol and Bath will be using AvonRider.

For West Midlands I be getting a week long pass as it's cheaper than 4 day tickets. That costs around £30. Valid on Metro and Trains.

Merseyside will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains too.

Manchester will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains and Metrolink.

But I plan to be in banging the over time over the next few months, and too be honest, won't be having too many days out in the North East over the summer, with any days that I've booked off focused on various bus rallies. Plus a day in Glasgow during the Commonwelth games.

And also Nottingham this coming Thursday.
Edited 04 Jun 2014, 2:03 am by Rapidsnap.

Rapidsnap
03 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm #564

Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Petrol probably be around £150 to £200 depending on the prices, though prob lower if I drive economically.

Bus fare wise.

For West Midlands I be getting a week long pass as it's cheaper than 4 day tickets. That costs around £30. Valid on Metro and Trains.

Manchester will be using a multi operator ticket. Valid on Trains and Metrolink.

But I plan to be in banging the over time over the next few months, and too be honest, won't be having too many days out in the North East over the summer, with any days that I've booked off focused on various bus rallies. Plus a day in Glasgow during the Commonwelth games.

Tom

04 Jun 2014, 6:34 am #565
(03 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm)GMitchelhill Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Bus fare wise.

Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.
Tom
04 Jun 2014, 6:34 am #565

(03 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm)GMitchelhill Looking at under £400 for accomodation. Which apart from the Wolverhampton part, it will be paid for in advance as at the moment (Subject to price changes) I'll be staying in Travelodges (Wolverhampton, I will be staying in the same hotel I've stayed at for the last 2 years.).

Bus fare wise.

Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jun 2014, 6:36 am #566
(04 Jun 2014, 6:34 am)Tom Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.

You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue
Dan
04 Jun 2014, 6:36 am #566

(04 Jun 2014, 6:34 am)Tom Sounds good, but I'd go with Premier Inn instead of Travelodge, they aren't the best.

You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue

Tom

04 Jun 2014, 6:46 am #567
(04 Jun 2014, 6:36 am)Dan You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue

If you can get a £29 room then maybe not!
Tom
04 Jun 2014, 6:46 am #567

(04 Jun 2014, 6:36 am)Dan You'd be turning that £400 into £1400 if you did that! Tongue

If you can get a £29 room then maybe not!

04 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm #568
To be honest Tom over the years I've stayed in Travelodges in Glenrothes, Swavensey (Cambridge) and one near Newton Le Willows and never had a single problem with them.

Rapidsnap
04 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm #568

To be honest Tom over the years I've stayed in Travelodges in Glenrothes, Swavensey (Cambridge) and one near Newton Le Willows and never had a single problem with them.

tyresmoke

04 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm #569
(04 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm)GMitchelhill To be honest Tom over the years I've stayed in Travelodges in Glenrothes, Swavensey (Cambridge) and one near Newton Le Willows and never had a single problem with them.

Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!
My next trip away is in 2 weeks time to Luton for 4 days where I am staying in the Hampton by Hilton hotel at the Airport, which was a bargain at £190 for 4 nights and breakfast included, plus free wi-fi too. The shuttle bus into town stops right outside the hotel, ran by Arriva Shires. I am going to be touring their area for a few days before jetting off to Stockholm with Norwegian on the 787 Wink

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
04 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm #569

(04 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm)GMitchelhill To be honest Tom over the years I've stayed in Travelodges in Glenrothes, Swavensey (Cambridge) and one near Newton Le Willows and never had a single problem with them.

Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!
My next trip away is in 2 weeks time to Luton for 4 days where I am staying in the Hampton by Hilton hotel at the Airport, which was a bargain at £190 for 4 nights and breakfast included, plus free wi-fi too. The shuttle bus into town stops right outside the hotel, ran by Arriva Shires. I am going to be touring their area for a few days before jetting off to Stockholm with Norwegian on the 787 Wink

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Kuyoyo

04 Jun 2014, 2:46 pm #570
(04 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm)tyresmoke Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!

BIB: I second Scott's comments about Travelodge, having stayed in two (Meadowhall and Perth), never had a problem either time (indeed the one in Perth bent over backwards to make sure 3 of us could have separate beds in a family room).
Kuyoyo
04 Jun 2014, 2:46 pm #570

(04 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm)tyresmoke Indeed I have stayed in the Travelodge at Meadowhall on more than one occasion and never had a problem, though it is slightly more upmarket having formerly been a Premier Inn until they built their new one!

BIB: I second Scott's comments about Travelodge, having stayed in two (Meadowhall and Perth), never had a problem either time (indeed the one in Perth bent over backwards to make sure 3 of us could have separate beds in a family room).

Tom

04 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm #571

One I stayed in (Kendal) was shocking - didn't have breakfast either, just these crappy boxes of continental food.
Tom
04 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm #571

One I stayed in (Kendal) was shocking - didn't have breakfast either, just these crappy boxes of continental food.

Andreos1

04 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm #572
(04 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm)Tom One I stayed in (Kendal) was shocking - didn't have breakfast either, just these crappy boxes of continental food.

Ones I have stayed in, whilst been in York have been like that.
No idea about Washington Services - food was the last thing on my mind that night/morning!
At Sleaford, breakfast was at Burger King or the Little Chef which were both next door.

The one I was in, in Blackpool (by the Blackpool FC stadium) a few weeks back had a restaurant for meals at breakfast, dinner and tea - with a bar too.
Edited 04 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm #572

(04 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm)Tom One I stayed in (Kendal) was shocking - didn't have breakfast either, just these crappy boxes of continental food.

Ones I have stayed in, whilst been in York have been like that.
No idea about Washington Services - food was the last thing on my mind that night/morning!
At Sleaford, breakfast was at Burger King or the Little Chef which were both next door.

The one I was in, in Blackpool (by the Blackpool FC stadium) a few weeks back had a restaurant for meals at breakfast, dinner and tea - with a bar too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

04 Jun 2014, 5:54 pm #573
I too have never had any problems with any Travelodges, I'd say the majority are really pleasant!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
04 Jun 2014, 5:54 pm #573

I too have never had any problems with any Travelodges, I'd say the majority are really pleasant!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

Malarkey

07 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm #574
Just out curiosity is there any interesting workings in the Sunderland/South Shields Area on a Sunday, As my Mother has kindly gave me her Zone 3/4 Network One Ticket which runs out Tomorrow.

There are few Downsides to this, I can't get the 2C on my Doorstep to Sunderland, I have to Travel to Concord and get on the 56 instead as Shiney Row/Penshaw are in Zone 5, Yet in Zone 3 if I avoided Zone 1 and 2, I could somehow manage to Travel to Dinnington and I can get to North Shields via South Shields using the Shields Ferry, and in Zone 4 I can Travel as far as Ryhope/Doxford Park. Furthermore if I was to go North/South Shields i'd still have to come back via Sunderland as I can't use the Metro to Heworth as that's in Zone 2.

Someone please explain to me how on Gods Green Earth that works exactly.
Malarkey
07 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm #574

Just out curiosity is there any interesting workings in the Sunderland/South Shields Area on a Sunday, As my Mother has kindly gave me her Zone 3/4 Network One Ticket which runs out Tomorrow.

There are few Downsides to this, I can't get the 2C on my Doorstep to Sunderland, I have to Travel to Concord and get on the 56 instead as Shiney Row/Penshaw are in Zone 5, Yet in Zone 3 if I avoided Zone 1 and 2, I could somehow manage to Travel to Dinnington and I can get to North Shields via South Shields using the Shields Ferry, and in Zone 4 I can Travel as far as Ryhope/Doxford Park. Furthermore if I was to go North/South Shields i'd still have to come back via Sunderland as I can't use the Metro to Heworth as that's in Zone 2.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Jun 2014, 7:33 pm #575
(07 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just out curiosity is there any interesting workings in the Sunderland/South Shields Area on a Sunday, As my Mother has kindly gave me her Zone 3/4 Network One Ticket which runs out Tomorrow.

Stagecoach NE used to have the most interesting allocation on Sundays with no ALX300s being allocated, but since the gas buses have been launched (esp. the second batch), it's not particularly interesting anymore.

Gas buses on services 3, 16 and 20 (as usual), and I suspect you'll now see them on service 13 too.
"SUNderland Bus" branded E200s typically allocated to every other service - used to see them on services 3, 16 and 20 prior to gas buses entering service.
The E400s which are usually allocated to the X34 are all allocated to E1/E2/E6 too.

Good chance to get on service 23 to Seaburn too, if you're interested in a ride out.

As for GNE, which has overtaken as most interesting again...
They have the Silver Arrows and SimpliCity 61 interworking, and also the 29A running with SimpliCity Versas. Good chance to photograph Nexus-secured 135/136 which I'm guessing you haven't done already if it's a rare Sunday trip out (should be the two Nexus SRs, but often 628 or a Versa). Services 60/42 also interwork, so you'll see Streetlites on the 42.
Dan
07 Jun 2014, 7:33 pm #575

(07 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just out curiosity is there any interesting workings in the Sunderland/South Shields Area on a Sunday, As my Mother has kindly gave me her Zone 3/4 Network One Ticket which runs out Tomorrow.

Stagecoach NE used to have the most interesting allocation on Sundays with no ALX300s being allocated, but since the gas buses have been launched (esp. the second batch), it's not particularly interesting anymore.

Gas buses on services 3, 16 and 20 (as usual), and I suspect you'll now see them on service 13 too.
"SUNderland Bus" branded E200s typically allocated to every other service - used to see them on services 3, 16 and 20 prior to gas buses entering service.
The E400s which are usually allocated to the X34 are all allocated to E1/E2/E6 too.

Good chance to get on service 23 to Seaburn too, if you're interested in a ride out.

They have the Silver Arrows and SimpliCity 61 interworking, and also the 29A running with SimpliCity Versas. Good chance to photograph Nexus-secured 135/136 which I'm guessing you haven't done already if it's a rare Sunday trip out (should be the two Nexus SRs, but often 628 or a Versa). Services 60/42 also interwork, so you'll see Streetlites on the 42.

Malarkey

07 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm #576
(07 Jun 2014, 7:33 pm)Dan Stagecoach NE used to have the most interesting allocation on Sundays with no ALX300s being allocated, but since the gas buses have been launched (esp. the second batch), it's not particularly interesting anymore.

Cheers Dan, I was planning on popping along Seaburn to get some Photos along the Coast which was part of the Plan, but it was mainly to catch the Odd Sunday Workings in Sunderland, there is also the 38C isn't there.
Malarkey
07 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm #576

(07 Jun 2014, 7:33 pm)Dan Stagecoach NE used to have the most interesting allocation on Sundays with no ALX300s being allocated, but since the gas buses have been launched (esp. the second batch), it's not particularly interesting anymore.

Cheers Dan, I was planning on popping along Seaburn to get some Photos along the Coast which was part of the Plan, but it was mainly to catch the Odd Sunday Workings in Sunderland, there is also the 38C isn't there.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm #577
(07 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Cheers Dan, I was planning on popping along Seaburn to get some Photos along the Coast which was part of the Plan, but it was mainly to catch the Odd Sunday Workings in Sunderland, there is also the 38C isn't there.

Just hope the weather's good for you if you're planning going down to the beach! I see rain showers on the forecast from 12!
Dan
07 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm #577

(07 Jun 2014, 7:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Cheers Dan, I was planning on popping along Seaburn to get some Photos along the Coast which was part of the Plan, but it was mainly to catch the Odd Sunday Workings in Sunderland, there is also the 38C isn't there.

Just hope the weather's good for you if you're planning going down to the beach! I see rain showers on the forecast from 12!

Malarkey

07 Jun 2014, 7:54 pm #578
(07 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm)Dan Just hope the weather's good for you if you're planning going down to the beach! I see rain showers on the forecast from 12!

I'll get up Early, and try and do the Beach Section before 12, I don't mind a bit of Rain, Biked it to The Galleries earlier when it was Tipping Down so I could get some Scran.
Malarkey
07 Jun 2014, 7:54 pm #578

(07 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm)Dan Just hope the weather's good for you if you're planning going down to the beach! I see rain showers on the forecast from 12!

I'll get up Early, and try and do the Beach Section before 12, I don't mind a bit of Rain, Biked it to The Galleries earlier when it was Tipping Down so I could get some Scran.

Adrian

15 Jun 2014, 10:42 am #579
Anyone through Durham today? If so, is there anything interesting about?

Adrian
15 Jun 2014, 10:42 am #579

Anyone through Durham today? If so, is there anything interesting about?

Malarkey

15 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm #580
Did anyone go to Durham Bus Rally Today, I didn't bother as I didn't think it was worth wasting £8 in Bus Fare to get there, Plus at Last Years Rally I was only there an Hour before heading Home as I thought there wasn't much to look at.
Malarkey
15 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm #580

Did anyone go to Durham Bus Rally Today, I didn't bother as I didn't think it was worth wasting £8 in Bus Fare to get there, Plus at Last Years Rally I was only there an Hour before heading Home as I thought there wasn't much to look at.

Pages (239) Previous 128 29 30239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average