Menu

Pages (4)    1 2 3 4   
big mac   03 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 9:25 am)Unber43 wrote Dalton Park cancellations shows the failure of what GNE has become. 

"low passenger number" thats because no one knows IT EXISTED.
Or is it not partly because due to the amount of journey cancellations there has been, people's confidence in the service was so low that they didn't even bother trying to use it?
Unber43   03 Aug 2022, 5:03 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm)big mac wrote Or is it not partly because due to the amount of journey cancellations there has been, people's confidence in the service was so low that they didn't even bother trying to use it?
And the times for it was awful, 10 mins before the X10, it should have been 20-30 mins after, the last one from Newcastle was 16:34.
DeltaMan   03 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm
I'm amazed if the traffic commissioner gave the nod to the X11 being cancelled
streetdeckfan   03 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm)DeltaMan wrote I'm amazed if the traffic commissioner gave the nod to the X11 being cancelled

I don't really see why they would have an issue tbh (other than the very short notice), there isn't really any loss of service with the withdrawal of that route given that it's just duplicating the X10 then the X93/4
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   03 Aug 2022, 5:20 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm)Malarkey wrote I fully understand why they've done it in order to free up 1 driver throughout the week but I can't help think that they will take quite a hit on potential revenue through not operating the service as advertised throughout the summer.

It saves two drivers given the length of the shift and the fact it’s on EU.

That’s ten extra local bus shifts covered in Sunderland, every week, without overtime, to cover high sickness rates and backdated holidays.

It’s hilarious that the people on this forum who declared the X11 as a waste of resource and a luxury are the same people who are complaining about its withdrawal.

It’s hilarious that the people on this forum who called for reductions to be made (like Arriva and Stagecoach) are the same people who are complaining about reductions being made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob44   03 Aug 2022, 5:21 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I don't really see why they would have an issue tbh (other than the very short notice), there isn't really any loss of service with the withdrawal of that route given that it's just duplicating the X10 then the X93/4

its not even a proper rout is it? You cant use your concessions bus pass on there, which i noticed on facebook was one of the first questions asked re the x10 and the arriva service. so now concessionary pass holders can get to the sea side for free, but just have to change at the boro!
Unber43   03 Aug 2022, 5:22 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:20 pm)Dan wrote It saves two drivers given the length of the shift and the fact it’s on EU.

That’s ten extra local bus shifts covered in Sunderland, every week, without overtime, to cover high sickness rates and backdated holidays.

It’s hilarious that the people on this forum who declared the X11 as a waste of resource and a luxury are the same people who are complaining about its withdrawal.

It’s hilarious that the people on this forum who called for reductions to be made (like Arriva and Stagecoach) are the same people who are complaining about reductions being made.

Deptford definitely needs it! However I doubt they'll make a massive difference
streetdeckfan   03 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:21 pm)Rob44 wrote its not even a proper rout is it? You cant use your concessions bus pass on there, which i noticed on facebook was one of the first questions asked re the x10 and the arriva service. so now concessionary pass holders can get to the sea side for free, but just have to change at the boro!

I believe it is registered as a proper route.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   03 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I don't really see why they would have an issue tbh (other than the very short notice), there isn't really any loss of service with the withdrawal of that route given that it's just duplicating the X10 then the X93/4

I’d be very surprised if local authorities did not provide their support for the withdrawal of a seasonal service to allow the saved driver resources to cover journeys on local bus services which would otherwise not run.

streetdeckfan   03 Aug 2022, 5:33 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm)Dan wrote I’d be very surprised if local authorities did not provide their support for the withdrawal of a seasonal service to allow the saved driver resources to cover journeys on local bus services which would otherwise not run.

Surely the councils would love the opportunity to complain about GNE regardless!

I'm surprised there's not already an article in the Chronic about GNE ruining little Timmy's summer holidays because they've cancelled the X11!
Storx   03 Aug 2022, 5:35 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 2:52 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Well there were plenty of comment here suggesting that the x11 was the wrong service to prioritise with current staffing issues.

There are other seasides that are easier to get to.

I was one and still think it. It shouldn't be running when people can't get to work at Sunderland or whatever.

It's not as if there's not other ways to get to places; there's numerous local coach companies doing day trips to all over the place; Lees Coaches, Stanley Travel, Weardale, Premier Transport - just to name a few.
Clifton Hignett III   03 Aug 2022, 5:41 pm
It's a shame to see such a wonderful service prematurely withdrawn.

This wouldn't happen in North Korea where bus services are provided irrespective of passenger usage, but I guess this is ugly face of capitalism showing itself once again. The Dear Leaders would not be impressed.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   03 Aug 2022, 5:43 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 4:15 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote It does seem a daft time to do it in what would presumably be the peak demand however to be fair to GNE, how many people are realistically going to be "relying" on it as compared to those relying on X10 etc for day to day commuting.  Obviously if there was unlimited resource this would be a differnt issue but it looks like prioritisation on a 'least bad option' basis to me.  There were plenty on here commenting that the X11 shouldn't be running and focus on running core network so does seem a bit like whatever they do, they can't get a break.  Also, it's not like there is no alternative and GNE have flagged this, despite it being a local competitor's route, and provided the link to further details.  While I doubt the marginal driver resource released with make a notable difference to the current situation, this is a rare occasion where I feel the criticism of GNE is somewhat unfair.

I mean they've gone to the effort to provide an alternative option for those planning on using the X11, including linking to Arriva's timetable for the X93/X94, so I don’t understand why they couldn't do the same for the X1 (and connecting on to the 65)

I think killing the Dalton Park extension has been seen as more low hanging fruit. Its been plagued by unreliability, so any attempts to convince people to use it would have been quickly buried.

I've no idea why it wasn't worthy enough to be part of the consultation for July changes though? Of course, I'm assuming they're looking at data over a longer period than a couple weeks!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Wybus   03 Aug 2022, 6:02 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 11:13 am)Ambassador wrote Why on earth would they retroactively update a press release dated 3 months ago with the new date?

The marketing and comms team are just bizarre
Because if you Google this service, you may land on what you are calling a press release.

It’s clear at this point that whatever GNE do you complain they should have done the opposite.
F114TML   03 Aug 2022, 6:10 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 5:20 pm)Dan wrote It saves two drivers given the length of the shift and the fact it’s on EU.

I think what people have issue with is the timing, because they're at such short notice (4 days for the X1, 5 for the X11).
Michael   03 Aug 2022, 6:16 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 9:22 am)Drifter60 wrote Changes to the X1 and X11 from Saturday/Monday. X1 revised to every 15 minutes, Dalton Park link binned - Peterlee every 30 mins. X11 withdrawn after Sunday’s operation. 

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/changes-x-...asider-x11

A good move in my opinion, operating special seaside trips when normal services are cancelled left, right and centre isn’t great for those who rely on buses just to get home at night. And the X1 every 15 minutes makes sense as at least it’s now exactly every 30 minutes to Peterlee.

Has the PVR dropped for the X1?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
streetdeckfan   03 Aug 2022, 6:17 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 6:10 pm)F114TML wrote I think what people have issue with is the timing, because they're at such short notice (4 days for the X1, 5 for the X11).

Still more notice than the buses are frequent tho amirite
peter   03 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 6:16 pm)Michael wrote Has the PVR dropped for the X1?

Looks as though it's dropped to 11
BusLoverMum   03 Aug 2022, 6:56 pm
Given the reliability of the coaches, it probably saves on engineering costs, as well.
RobinHood   03 Aug 2022, 9:48 pm
Wonder if the Kids go free deal has forced a very premature termination...
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   03 Aug 2022, 9:52 pm
(03 Aug 2022, 6:56 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Given the reliability of the coaches, it probably saves on engineering costs, as well.
They're still going to be used daily from Sept for 4274 (i think). 

However I don't think a bus/coach has ever broke down on the X11
HarryCowans4041   04 Aug 2022, 5:33 am

I cannot believe that someone in a senior commercial position at GNE feels comfortable defending these changes.

Yes the industry is facing unprecedented challenges, but the way GNE are going about their business, making snap and unpredictable decisions seemingly on the hoof, is no way to run a bus company.

We are seeing several of the soon-to-be-former MD’s vanity projects collapsing like a pack of cards, and it’s the company’s poor customers who have to pick up the pieces.
Dan   04 Aug 2022, 7:29 am
(04 Aug 2022, 5:33 am)HarryCowans4041 wrote I cannot believe that someone in a senior commercial position at GNE feels comfortable defending these changes.

Yes the industry is facing unprecedented challenges, but the way GNE are going about their business, making snap and unpredictable decisions seemingly on the hoof, is no way to run a bus company.

We are seeing several of the soon-to-be-former MD’s vanity projects collapsing like a pack of cards, and it’s the company’s poor customers who have to pick up the pieces.

Where did I defend these changes? I have not given any opinions…

I’ve just pointed out the irony and hilarity of comments being made which jar with comments that the same people previously made.

Rob44   04 Aug 2022, 7:59 am
(03 Aug 2022, 5:24 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I believe it is registered as a proper route.

Co how come you cant use concessionary bus passes on it. unless this has changed for when it first started?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ambassador   04 Aug 2022, 8:02 am
(04 Aug 2022, 5:33 am)HarryCowans4041 wrote I cannot believe that someone in a senior commercial position at GNE feels comfortable defending these changes.

We'll soon discover if the MD is the main problem (and no doubt he's a part of it) or the existing Team in place who just don't seem to have the skills to innovate and adapt to change aside panicked cuts and stubborness over adapting to timetables.

Drivers and Engineering aside, I don't have confidence there's the talent there (or at least talent that is being allowed to have an input)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Michael   04 Aug 2022, 9:23 am
(03 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm)peter wrote Looks as though it's dropped to 11

Quite a drop from the current 14 - I think its 14? - saves those repaints too for the extra buses needed!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Andreos1   04 Aug 2022, 9:31 am
(04 Aug 2022, 8:02 am)Ambassador wrote We'll soon discover if the MD is the main problem (and no doubt he's a part of it) or the existing Team in place who just don't seem to have the skills to innovate and adapt to change aside panicked cuts and stubborness over adapting to timetables.

Drivers and Engineering aside, I don't have confidence there's the talent there (or at least talent that is being allowed to have an input) 
I've said it before and will say it again.
It's a culture. A culture that stinks. But I don't think it's unique to one particular operator. Although there may be some operators worse than others.
There's undoubablty a 'we know better than thou' attitude that we see demonstrated on here, on other social media platforms, in industry back patting exercises, trade magazines etc. Its the typical 'I've worked in the industry for x number of years. Have you? What would you know?' type of behaviours. 

The thing is. They don't and it's demonstrated time after time. 
We see failure after failure from these people who know best. The same people who guffaw at ideas, suggestions or opinions from people who don't work in the industry.
This forum (and members of it) has been the talk of the Ivory Towers and they look down on us.
Imagine what they think of the public? The people who contribute to their salaries...

I appreciate that not every idea in every industry will work.
That's just common sense. This isn't about saying they must come up with fail safe ideas every time. It's impossible.
However, there's a clear difference between the trial and error strategies of other industries and doing the same old, whilst ignoring valid (sometimes, not always) comments, ideas or suggestions from enthusiasts, passengers and those with local knowledge.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
peter   04 Aug 2022, 10:42 am
(04 Aug 2022, 9:23 am)Michael wrote Quite a drop from the current 14 - I think its 14? - saves those repaints too for the extra buses needed!

I'd imagine the frequency will be re-increased at some point, whether the Dalton Park stretch comes back is another story
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
col87   04 Aug 2022, 11:24 am
There’s one clear fact which no one seems to have picked up on. Going off this forum Go North East struggling in the spring with driver shortages so why even waste a driver doing the X11 in the first place if they were having issues.

This is just typical of Go North East though start a service don’t promote properly then either cut it back or get rid completely. Over the last 5-6 years.

X5 / X6 within a year X6 axed from Hartlepool. X5 renumbered 55 messed with quite a bit then axed from Hartlepool after 2 years completely giving up despite go north east serving the town in some way going back to the 1930s.

Then constant changing of brands and buses and moved about meaning constant repaints. There is no stability at go north east starting using and getting used to one service within a few weeks it’s either going to be axed or messed about with.
Drifter60   04 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm
(04 Aug 2022, 11:24 am)col87 wrote There’s one clear fact which no one seems to have picked up on. Going off this forum Go North East struggling in the spring with driver shortages so why even waste a driver doing the X11 in the first place if they were having issues. 

This is just typical of Go North East though start a service don’t promote properly then either cut it back or get rid completely.  Over the last 5-6 years.

X5 / X6  within a year X6 axed from Hartlepool.  X5 renumbered 55 messed with quite a bit then axed from Hartlepool after 2 years completely giving up despite go north east serving the town in some way going back to the 1930s. 

Then constant changing of brands and buses and moved about meaning constant repaints.  There is no stability at go north east starting using and getting used to one service within a few weeks it’s either going to be axed or messed about with.

Well you’ve hit the nail on the head here for me.

Firstly, ‘driver resource issues’ have been going on for months so why did they even start the X11 or even mitigation perhaps with just a Saturday/Sunday timetable so that weekday buses were not impacted. I said yesterday that I was, all things considered, supportive of the X11 being withdrawn but I am surprised at the cancellation of a service which does heavy loads (full buses on some trips) at a time when we’re told things are tight financially.

Secondly, promotion of services vastly needs to improve. I’ve said it before on here but 65 going half hourly, Sunday buses and later evening journeys for the first time in ten years was a big deal, but apart from being listed in a big long list of bus changes I’ve never seen GNE social media/marketing teams mention it once. I remember being told marketing was planned for this service (perhaps a few others) but nothing materialised and the less than 12 months later, Sunday buses stripped right back and evening journeys binned. I almost forgot about the X6 Hartlepool extension and the X7 going to Oakerside yet another example and there’s many more across the network. 

Thirdly, I’ve said before that I do overall like the branding of services but you’re right in the fact it doesn’t work when things are constantly changing. I’ve raised before about services the 2/2A & the 61 which have had that many different names, identities and coloured buses they should be part of LGBT pride, as it’s a rainbow of mixture colours from silver, red, blue, purple, pink, green etc. None of that is an effective use of branding. And whilst it was unsurprisingly due to the withdrawal of the 55, the 61 changing from ‘Blue’ to ‘Violet’ overnight only highlights such ineffectiveness. 

In each of these three cases it’s just sheer short sightedness and zero stability. I appreciate things change and best laid plans etc. but it just seems that things at the drop of a hat. There should only be a deviation from original plans in exceptional circumstances whereas at GNE it seems strategy, marketing and operations change almost weekly.
Pages (4)    1 2 3 4