You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon?

Site Administrator
(25 Mar 2023, 11:10 am)Michael wrote Says that on the page about the changes:

Joint ticket acceptance has been agreed between Go North East and Arriva, so that you can use your ticket on any bus regardless of who runs it – this means that if you buy a return ticket with us on a morning, you can travel home on an Arriva bus on a night, and vice versa!

Arriva’s buses have “tap on, tap off” readers whereas Go North East’s buses don’t.

I think that was the main question - is it possible for both companies to integrate their readers (if GNE was to invest in them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RE: Tap On, Tap Off, Coming Soon?
(25 Mar 2023, 1:03 pm)Dan wrote Arriva’s buses have “tap on, tap off” readers whereas Go North East’s buses don’t.

I think that was the main question - is it possible for both companies to integrate their readers (if GNE was to invest in them).

It is absolutely possible, as Arriva TOTO works with both Arriva only and multi-operator products in Leicester I believe

If GNE did invest, I see no reason why it couldn't, especially for capping at Smartzone or the new TNE products (if and when they arrive)
Looks like I'm going to have to get in touch with Arriva to get a refund again!

Same driver as last time insisted that ToTo isn't in operation yet and I had to buy a single ticket after tapping on the reader.

Funny how it's worked every other time I've used it in-between!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
(30 Mar 2023, 9:04 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Looks like I'm going to have to get in touch with Arriva to get a refund again!

Same driver as last time insisted that ToTo isn't in operation yet and I had to buy a single ticket after tapping on the reader.

Funny how it's worked every other time I've used it in-between!

Can you still physically ask the driver for a day ticket ? using the contactless, and not tap on and then try remembering to tap out, don’t fancy tapping in and out all day using my debit card or mobile

(31 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm)cbma06 wrote Can you still physically ask the driver for a day ticket ? using the contactless, and not tap on and then try remembering to tap out, don’t fancy tapping in and out all day using my debit card or mobile

Yeah, if you don't want to tap in and out, the normal tickets are still available in the usual ways
(31 Mar 2023, 4:27 pm)Unber43 wrote From people experience was percentage of people tap in/ tap off V buying off the driver?

Other than the one service I was on where the driver was telling people to use ToTo, 100% tickets from the driver
(31 Mar 2023, 4:27 pm)Unber43 wrote From people experience was percentage of people tap in/ tap off V buying off the driver?

100% on journeys where drivers are suggesting it, dropping to about 50% on the rest. That said, I'm mainly travelling in peak hours, and I think commuters tend to adopt things like this a bit quicker.
Another day, another issue with Arriva's Tap on Tap off.
Reader decided not to tap me out and was charged the £2 max fare instead of the £1.50 it should have been. Tried making a correction on the website but just get an error.

Looks like it's another week long wait to get the refund through customer services!
Has anyone had any corrections approved?

Twice I've tried to tap out at Tindale Club, but because of the temporary stop being outside of McDonalds it's presumably out of the zone so doesn't let me tap out, meaning I get charged the full £2 fare.
Both times I've submitted an correction on the website and it's just been ignored.
(28 Jun 2023, 8:02 am)streetdeckfan wrote Has anyone had any corrections approved?

Twice I've tried to tap out at Tindale Club, but because of the temporary stop being outside of McDonalds it's presumably out of the zone so doesn't let me tap out, meaning I get charged the full £2 fare.
Both times I've submitted an correction on the website and it's just been ignored.

Try giving them a call to follow it up? 0344 800 44 11

If they still don't process it for you, then go via your bank as a disputed transaction.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(28 Jun 2023, 8:02 am)streetdeckfan wrote Has anyone had any corrections approved?

Where do you board? As far as I know, you can get off at Sainsburys stop and still only be charged £1.50 (assuming you got on at the Bus Station), so it shouldn't matter if the temp stop is where it is.
(28 Jun 2023, 12:25 pm)RobinHood wrote Where do you board? As far as I know, you can get off at Sainsburys stop and still only be charged £1.50 (assuming you got on at the Bus Station), so it shouldn't matter if the temp stop is where it is.

The trouble is the card reader deactivates just past the traffic lights and comes back on just after the roundabout for the retail park, and obviously the temporary stop is just in between. I suppose I could tap out when we're stuck in the traffic at Tindale, but that would require me walking to the front of the bus, tapping out, then standing for 10 minutes!

It's a fair trek to any of the shops from Sainsburys, so the temporary stop outside of McDonalds is actually more convenient!

(28 Jun 2023, 12:17 pm)Adrian wrote Try giving them a call to follow it up? 0344 800 44 11

If they still don't process it for you, then go via your bank as a disputed transaction.

As much as I am a petty cheapskate, I'm not sitting on the phone for half an hour over 50p!
(28 Jun 2023, 12:45 pm)streetdeckfan wrote The trouble is the card reader deactivates just past the traffic lights and comes back on just after the roundabout for the retail park, and obviously the temporary stop is just in between. I suppose I could tap out when we're stuck in the traffic at Tindale, but that would require me walking to the front of the bus, tapping out, then standing for 10 minutes!

It's a fair trek to any of the shops from Sainsburys, so the temporary stop outside of McDonalds is actually more convenient!

You should be able to tap off on the ticket machine even if the separate Tap Off reader isn't active.
(28 Jun 2023, 1:27 pm)mb134 wrote You should be able to tap off on the ticket machine even if the separate Tap Off reader isn't active.
The screen was also off on the ticket machine

(28 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote The screen was also off on the ticket machine

If that's the case then you'll be able to ask the driver to wake the machine up so you can tap off. They'll need to get it ready for anyone boarding in any case.