You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2016
(20 Nov 2016, 1:06 pm)peter wrote Can anyone confirm if 4664 is actually branded Cross Pennine? The only reason I ask is that, going off the new timetable, it seems as though the daytime PVR for Arriva is now 3 as opposed to 4 - so it would seem strange to me that they would have a branded spare - plus I can't seem to find any recent photos of it? Thanks in advance!

From what has been mentioned elsewhere, 4664 will not be branded but is being refurbished and will be painted into MAX livery (which suggests it will also be spare for the X16).
Banned
2865 seriously needs to be taken off the 3/5A, it sounds as rough as toast!:s
(20 Nov 2016, 1:25 pm)Kuyoyo wrote From what has been mentioned elsewhere, 4664 will not be branded but is being refurbished and will be painted into MAX livery (which suggests it will also be spare for the X16).

What I've been told by a Jesmond driver is that 4660-2/4 are being branded for Cross Pennine. 

If 4664 is being refurbished as a spare for CP/MAX, surely it'd be logic to have it in Arriva livery...
(17 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm)coldav wrote Blyth's Solos are now being branded for the 2 (Blyth - Bedlington - Morpeth) 2821 seen in Morpeth tonight

This must be why Blyth have been put under strict instruction to put Solos on the 2. 

I just don't get why Arriva are route branding services for the sake of it. Surely the thing that's going to attract customers is features like free WiFi, not some vinyls above the windows...
(20 Nov 2016, 4:30 pm)GX03 SVC wrote What I've been told by a Jesmond driver is that 4660-2/4 are being branded for Cross Pennine. 

If 4664 is being refurbished as a spare for CP/MAX, surely it'd be logic to have it in Arriva livery...

Why have 4 branded buses for 3 workings? Don't believe everything a driver tells you - from my experience, us enthusiasts usually know more about what is happening than what the drivers do.............
(20 Nov 2016, 4:36 pm)GX03 SVC wrote This must be why Blyth have been put under strict instruction to put Solos on the 2. 

I just don't get why Arriva are route branding services for the sake of it. Surely the thing that's going to attract customers is features like free WiFi, not some vinyls above the windows...
I've been to Newcastle loads recently and everytime, the 55 branded Solo's have been on the 46 instead. I'm yet to see one actually on the 55!
(20 Nov 2016, 4:30 pm)GX03 SVC wrote What I've been told by a Jesmond driver is that 4660-2/4 are being branded for Cross Pennine. 

In a ideal world, A ZIP style livery incorporating snippets of both brands would be great as a spare for both service's, Similar to other operators across the UK.
The interior would feature just plain black E-Leather Civic V4s, With USB's and Wifi similar to the Cross Pennine Omnicity's and MAX X16 Pulsar's.

Just a random suggestion though.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
does anyone know how many x16 branded buses there are fleet numbers and type of bus
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the spare Scania's meet up with their playmates at a different depot....
(20 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm)jack wrote does anyone know how many x16 branded buses there are fleet numbers and type of bus

The X16 uses two MAX X16 branded VDL SB200/Wright Pulsar 2's - they are 1408 / NK09BPX and 1411 / NK09BRF.
(20 Nov 2016, 6:43 pm)tyresmoke wrote I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the spare Scania's meet up with their playmates at a different depot....

When you think about it, at Darlington there is one Omnicity left spare, then there's 4653 and 4659 at Ashington and the now spare 4664 at Jesmond - could these not be used on the X21 from Darlington to Sunderland??? Of course the fire-damaged 4663 could also count but nobody seems to know when that will be back on the road again!
(20 Nov 2016, 9:01 pm)peter wrote When you think about it, at Darlington there is one Omnicity left spare, then there's 4653 and 4659 at Ashington and the now spare 4664 at Jesmond - could these not be used on the X21 from Darlington to Sunderland??? Of course the fire-damaged 4663 could also count but nobody seems to know when that will be back on the road again!

What would replace 4653&59? These are no longer spare and are allocated to service X20 now.
(20 Nov 2016, 9:17 pm)Cobalt271 wrote What would replace 4653&59? These are no longer spare and are allocated to service X20 now.

Presumably some Max branded pulsars...you would still need four additional Max branded buses to accommodate the X21 going Max...the Ecocity's currently on the route would displace pulsars from the 1/5/5a/12/19 or the 8/8a...the pulsars could go Max and then just swap with the Omnicities. It would probably make more sense given the fact that all the other single-deck Max buses in Newcastle and Northumberland are Pulsars!
(20 Nov 2016, 6:43 pm)tyresmoke wrote I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the spare Scania's meet up with their playmates at a different depot....

Someone did hint at that, a few days ago.
(20 Nov 2016, 4:38 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Why have 4 branded buses for 3 workings? Don't believe everything a driver tells you - from my experience, us enthusiasts usually know more about what is happening than what the drivers do.............

Why have 3 buses branded as MAX for a route that only requires 2...?!

(20 Nov 2016, 7:19 pm)Jimmi wrote Just seen some interior shots of one of the Cross Pennine Omnicity's on Facebook and they have USB charging ports.

Everything new or refurbished is getting USB ports, new for 2016.
(21 Nov 2016, 9:06 am)GX03 SVC wrote Everything new or refurbished is getting USB ports, new for 2016.

It seems despite the partnership in working with the branding, it seems the interior on both companies are going to be different, Arriva have e-leather with the Cross Pennine logo on the headrests whilst it appears that Stagecoach are retaining the high backed fabric Stagecoach moquette seats. Arriva have USB's whilst I'm unsure if Stagecoach will.
(21 Nov 2016, 9:06 am)GX03 SVC wrote Why have 3 buses branded as MAX for a route that only requires 2...?!

And please tell me which service you are referring to!? The only MAX route that has more branded buses than PVR is the X93 - and the only time is during the Winter season (ie November to March) when there's 6 branded buses to cover 5 workings. Stockton's X66/X67 share is only 2 so there's only 2 branded Pulsars.
4661 doesn't carry Cross Pennine logo on its seats, nor changing points.... unlike 4660/2 which have had internal work.

27141/2 and 47921 remain to their delivered spec, seats in them are practically brand new still - E300 coach seating is much better than the e-leather in my opinion.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

(21 Nov 2016, 9:17 am)Jimmi wrote It seems despite the partnership in working with the branding, it seems the interior on both companies are going to be different, Arriva have e-leather with the Cross Pennine logo on the headrests whilst it appears that Stagecoach are retaining the high backed fabric Stagecoach moquette seats. Arriva have USB's whilst I'm unsure if Stagecoach will.

Arriva's offering will be : Cross Pennine Livery , E-Leather Civic V3s in Cross Pennine Blue with Logos , Wifi and USB Ports.

Stagecoach's offering is : Cross Pennine Livery , Lazzerini Coach Seating in Corporate spec , Wifi and Seatbelts ( The latter 3 were new with the bus )

Don't expect Stagecoach to feature the USB's any soon, As they don't retrofit them on buses already in service.

(21 Nov 2016, 2:35 pm)RBZ 5459 wrote 4661 doesn't carry Cross Pennine logo on its seats, nor changing points.... unlike 4660/2 which have had internal work.

27141/2 and 47921 remain to their delivered spec, seats in them are practically brand new still - E300 coach seating is much better than the e-leather in my opinion.

I'm sure I had 4661 on Saturday, If it was it had full Cross Pennine spec inside, Minus the Wifi as that didn't have a connection.

There's a few loose seat cushions on some rows, Particularly the back last time I used 27141, Had 27142 to Haydon Bridge before my photo of it there and that was not the case on that one.

For comfort, The coach seating wins. But overall the Arriva spec wins for me, Just because of the addition of USB sockets, Which is a big bonus for me.

They both don't sound pretty healthy atm though, 27141 was pretty limp coming out of Corbridge while I was getting a photo of it, With the cooling fan on as loud as some B7TL's ive had.

27142 is a lot better but still pretty ill sounding, It's developed the annoying Cummins Turbocharger whine, Which all in all means its turbochargers knackered, Which can only have been caused by the nature of the route.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Due to Flooding on the A171 between Nunthorpe and Guisborough Sapphire service 5 is being diverted. Running None Stop between Swans Corner and Galley Hill. Service may run with slight delays, Apologies for any inconvenience.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 Nov 2016, 4:36 pm)GX03 SVC wrote This must be why Blyth have been put under strict instruction to put Solos on the 2. 

It advertises the route to observers though doesn't it, moreso than fancy gadgets that the majority of passengers don't use. Having said that, it only works if they allocate them to the correct route.
(21 Nov 2016, 8:55 pm)Michael wrote Due to Flooding on the A171 between Nunthorpe and Guisborough Sapphire service 5 is being diverted. Running None Stop between Swans Corner and Galley Hill. Service may run with slight delays, Apologies for any inconvenience.

-Teesside Service Update 22.00
Sapphire service 5 is now Operating normal route from Middlesbrough up to the Pied Piper on Ormesby Bank, then running non stop to Guisborough MARKET PLACE via A174 and Yearby. This service is currently running with significant delays due to road conditions in East Cleveland. 
All other Services are running to Normal route with slight delays. Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(21 Nov 2016, 9:48 pm)Cock Robin wrote It advertises the route to observers though doesn't it, moreso than fancy gadgets that the majority of passengers don't use. Having said that, it only works if they allocate them to the correct route.

Really? Ofcom suggest otherwise - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/lat...mr-uk-2015
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(21 Nov 2016, 2:35 pm)RBZ 5459 wrote 4661 doesn't carry Cross Pennine logo on its seats, nor changing points.... unlike 4660/2 which have had internal work.

I had 4661 the other day and it did...?
(21 Nov 2016, 9:22 am)Kuyoyo wrote And please tell me which service you are referring to!? The only MAX route that has more branded buses than PVR is the X93 - and the only time is during the Winter season (ie November to March) when there's 6 branded buses to cover 5 workings. Stockton's X66/X67 share is only 2 so there's only 2 branded Pulsars.

X16. The only MAX route at Jesmond, of which 4664 is supposedly being refurbished as a spare for.
(21 Nov 2016, 6:24 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Arriva's offering will be : Cross Pennine Livery , E-Leather Civic V3s in Cross Pennine Blue with Logos , Wifi and USB Ports.

Stagecoach's offering is : Cross Pennine Livery , Lazzerini Coach Seating in Corporate spec , Wifi and Seatbelts ( The latter 3 were new with the bus )

Don't expect Stagecoach to feature the USB's any soon, As they don't retrofit them on buses already in service.

I'm sure I had 4661 on Saturday, If it was it had full Cross Pennine spec inside, Minus the Wifi as that didn't have a connection.

There's a few loose seat cushions on some rows, Particularly the back last time I used 27141, Had 27142 to Haydon Bridge before my photo of it there and that was not the case on that one.

For comfort, The coach seating wins. But overall the Arriva spec wins for me, Just because of the addition of USB sockets, Which is a big bonus for me.

They both don't sound pretty healthy atm though, 27141 was pretty limp coming out of Corbridge while I was getting a photo of it, With the cooling fan on as loud as some B7TL's ive had.

27142 is a lot better but still pretty ill sounding, It's developed the annoying Cummins Turbocharger whine, Which all in all means its turbochargers knackered, Which can only have been caused by the nature of the route.

They're on a shortlist with other vehicles to get them retrofitted in the future.

(22 Nov 2016, 9:05 am)GX03 SVC wrote I had 4661 the other day and it did...?

Well it didn't have the harrier on the seats though last week. 
Unless you mean the plugs? - just going on word of mouth on that one, but seemed to fit seeing no headrest mods done.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

(22 Nov 2016, 9:16 am)GX03 SVC wrote X16. The only MAX route at Jesmond, of which 4664 is supposedly being refurbished as a spare for.

And where has it been stated that 4664 will be branded for the X16!? All that has been stated is 4664 is being refurbished to MAX standard rather than pigeon-holing it into Cross Pennie Livery when it is to be the spare! By having it MAX means if not needed on the 685, it can be used elsewhere without people complaining that it is off-route. And if needed, it can cover on the X16 yes but it won't be branded for the X16.
just to mention that all 35/35a and x18 buses will be severely delayed due to road near morpeth being closed due to floods
Prefer
7486 LJ51 DGZ
1764 NK05 GWC
5230 NK55 OLH
6301 NK16 BXA
22570 SP08 DCV
12078 NK11 DJD
FJ61 EXO
(22 Nov 2016, 10:56 am)Buses98 wrote just to mention that all 35/35a and x18 buses will be severely delayed due to road near morpeth being closed due to floods

It isn't just Morpeth affected of course. Severe delays for MAX services X15,18 & 20 as they try to negotiate the roads between Ashington, Alnwick and Berwick which have also been badly affected. A1 is also closed near Felton which is delaying the X15 even more.