You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: 24th March 2024 Changes
(25 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm)Storx wrote I'm probably wrong but I'm going to guess.

5x Solo SR: 317
4x GNW Streetlite: 41/41A

3x Solo out from Deptford / Washington combined (661/681 being 2 of them)

6x GNW Streetlite: 34 + Spares
17 Plate Streetlite: 25/28/29

11 Plate Versa's split between Deptford / Riverside / Hexham
10 Plate Versa's withdrawn
How much repainting will need to be done with your suggestions. Also could the 34 see deckers instead.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(25 Mar 2024, 4:01 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote How much repainting will need to be done with your suggestions. Also could the 34 see deckers instead.

As far as I'm aware none at all it's just moving corporate vehicles around between the depots rather than mass repaints. The Streetlites for the 28/29 has already happened with Versas going to Percy Main but I can't imagine they'll want a microfleet of them there long term. 

Honestly I don't know the 34 too well, unsure whether it needs deckers tbh.

Just can't see the Berries going anywhere like others have said as they've had a retrim and are fine on there imo.
(25 Mar 2024, 5:26 pm)Storx wrote As far as I'm aware none at all it's just moving corporate vehicles around between the depots rather than mass repaints. The Streetlites for the 28/29 has already happened with Versas going to Percy Main but I can't imagine they'll want a microfleet of them there long term. 

Just can't see the Berries going anywhere like others have said as they've had a retrim and are fine on there imo.
34 needs nothing more than a Versa, if not a Solo on most runs but i think there is one trip which a decker is needed which is a massively waste of rescources.

Also Berries theyve only got 7 for what should be a PVR of about 10, and seems to be atleast two off the road on a daily occurance
(25 Mar 2024, 5:26 pm)Storx wrote As far as I'm aware none at all it's just moving corporate vehicles around between the depots rather than mass repaints. The Streetlites for the 28/29 has already happened with Versas going to Percy Main but I can't imagine they'll want a microfleet of them there long term. 

I'm just going off whats been on the tracker, seems quite of few of the x1 branded buses end up on there, not just today.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(25 Mar 2024, 6:01 pm)Unber43 wrote 34 needs nothing more than a Versa, if not a Solo on most runs but i think there is one trip which a decker is needed which is a massively waste of rescources.

Also Berries theyve only got 7 for what should be a PVR of about 10, and seems to be atleast two off the road on a daily occurance

Aye wasn't sure if there was a board that needed a Decker.

To be honest, I have a feeling a few from Washington will end up at Deptford personally to make up the PVR. But I could be wrong, they seem to be moving them out from there and there's not really anywhere else for them to go (can't see them being withdrawn yet personally). PVR 9 if I'm right and they've got 8, including 8331 since 2 died.
(25 Mar 2024, 6:05 pm)Storx wrote Aye wasn't sure if there was a board that needed a Decker.

To be honest, I have a feeling a few from Washington will end up at Deptford personally to make up the PVR. But I could be wrong, they seem to be moving them out from there and there's not really anywhere else for them to go (can't see them being withdrawn yet personally). PVR 9 if I'm right and they've got 8, including 8331 since 2 died.
There's not a lot which can be moved as GNE aren't ordering anything and are only getting older buses from the south. 

X1 could do with another 5 StreetDecks atleast to boost it to every 12 mins and possibly compete with the 71 from Houghton-Seaham or various other extensions which could be done from various parts of the network. 

8 Country Ranger is another service whcih constantely suffers from breakdowns, seems everyday with a PVR of 6 there are between 2-4, I know GNE only brands what they need but really they should be branding some spares too when they do the repaints, atleast 1. 

But really there are well over 150-200 buses which need replacing

(25 Mar 2024, 6:02 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote I'm just going off whats been on the tracker, seems quite of few of the x1 branded buses end up on there, not just today.
Really the 34 should be getting nothing better than an ex-London bus.

But today the allocations at Washington have been attricous not a single 6301-07 StreetDeck on the 50, meanwhile there are 4-6 X1's on the 50, like what on earth are they doing.
(25 Mar 2024, 6:11 pm)Unber43 wrote There's not a lot which can be moved as GNE aren't ordering anything and are only getting older buses from the south. 

X1 could do with another 5 StreetDecks atleast to boost it to every 12 mins and possibly compete with the 71 from Houghton-Seaham or various other extensions which could be done from various parts of the network. 

8 Country Ranger is another service whcih constantely suffers from breakdowns, seems everyday with a PVR of 6 there are between 2-4, I know GNE only brands what they need but really they should be branding some spares too when they do the repaints, atleast 1. 

But today the allocations at Washington have been attricous not a single 6301-07 StreetDeck on the 50, meanwhile there are 4-6 X1's on the 50, like what on earth are they doing.

Aye Washington is a bit of mess lately mind, early Streetdeck's never seem to be the most reliable things either regardless to company. Awful vehicles in terms of aging tbh. It's why they need something newer imo and it seems they've got some for the contracted stuff.
(25 Mar 2024, 6:11 pm)Unber43 wrote There's not a lot which can be moved as GNE aren't ordering anything and are only getting older buses from the south. 

Noted an 8 branded Streetlite out on the 4 yesterday.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(25 Mar 2024, 6:32 pm)Storx wrote Aye Washington is a bit of mess lately mind, early Streetdeck's never seem to be the most reliable things either regardless to company. Awful vehicles in terms of aging tbh. It's why they need something newer imo and it seems they've got some for the contracted stuff.
Youve seen drivers on here and on Facebook saying the state of some of the streetdeck particular the green ones are in an atrocious condition, you don't even need to hear it from a driver to realise it! 6301-7 seem quite reliable for the 50 that's if they ever get on it
(25 Mar 2024, 11:30 pm)thw1008 wrote X78 having a rough time of it tonight, 30 minutes late in some sections.

Well it left Eldon Square late on the first trip, so not the best start, and does seem to have operated rather late tonight. Boring allocation tonight as well! Displaying Not in Service which is not sensible either.
Does anyone know if the 317 service is one of those minimum cost contracts where Nexus set the fares?

I’m not sure if it was driver error or not, but he told passengers they can’t buy Go North East day tickets and the fares don’t seem to be in line with other Go North East services. I heard the driver charge a passenger only £1.60 for a trip from Wallsend to Rake Lane.
Site Administrator
24th March 2024 Changes
(26 Mar 2024, 8:41 am)Thomas12 wrote Does anyone know if the 317 service is one of those minimum cost contracts where Nexus set the fares?

I’m not sure if it was driver error or not, but he told passengers they can’t buy Go North East day tickets and the fares don’t seem to be in line with other Go North East services. I heard the driver charge a passenger only £1.60 for a trip from Wallsend to Rake Lane.

All Nexus contracts issued this year are on a Minimum Cost (revenue risk with Nexus) basis. This, in all honesty, is likely to be why Stagecoach lost the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26 Mar 2024, 8:52 am)Dan wrote All Nexus contracts issued this year are on a Minimum Cost (revenue risk with Nexus) basis. This, in all honesty, is likely to be why Stagecoach lost the contract.

Interesting, thanks. So are the only day tickets valid the TNE rovers or whatever they’re called?
Site Administrator
24th March 2024 Changes
(26 Mar 2024, 8:54 am)Thomas12 wrote Interesting, thanks. So are the only day tickets valid the TNE rovers or whatever they’re called?

Yes, unless GNE has agreed with Nexus for their period products to be valid.

I think a change is needed to the 352/353 mainly

353 seems to be a really busy route while the 352 is a copy of the 37. An easy change could be made

Withdrawn the 352 and up the 353 to every 30 minutes. Even under Arriva the 53 was a busy route. I'm generally shocked they didn't up it to every 30 and Withdrawn the 352 as there's no need for the 352. Its just a worse version of the 37 ("But it serves Haymarket")

So the 37 drops of at more convenient places like Central/Grainger Street & Market/Pilgrim & John Dobson Street
(26 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm)Aaron21 wrote I think a change is needed to the 352/353 mainly

353 seems to be a really busy route while the 352 is a copy of the 37. An easy change could be made

Withdrawn the 352 and up the 353 to every 30 minutes. Even under Arriva the 53 was a busy route. I'm generally shocked they didn't up it to every 30 and Withdrawn the 352 as there's no need for the 352. Its just a worse version of the 37 ("But it serves Haymarket")

So the 37 drops of at more convenient places like Central/Grainger Street & Market/Pilgrim & John Dobson Street

It wouldn't work without extending the 355 to Gateshead as the services all work in a loop.

The 37 is always pretty much dead aswell recently since that pretty much duplicates the X7/X8 in terms of going to Newcastle so it's only useful for going to the Freeman really.
(26 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm)Aaron21 wrote I think a change is needed to the 352/353 mainly

I mean argueably i'd say the 37 is a copy of the 352 since the 352 was the 52
Kind Regards
Tez

Problem is that some of the driving hours would be inefficient if the 353 was to go standalone.....although as a workaround, GNE could technically use multiple nearby relief points.

For example with a driver starting at North Shields Interchange
- NSHI > CRM > NSHI > CRM > New York
then......
- New York > NSHI > CRM > NSH > CRM > West Allotment
then......
- West Allotment > NSHI > CRM > NSHI > West Allotment

Or using BSIP money, could make PVR 6x (3hr round trips) and extend to High Pit & NESCH and maybe via NTGH too. Maybe a swap with the 317 that the 353 does Rake Lane Loop > NTGH > Devon Road > Whitehouse Lane > then normal route. Whereas the 317 does NTGH > Rake Lane > Billy Mill Lane > Whitlehouse Lane > then normal route.

Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

Bus companies love the idea (Stagecoach) if they can avoid using a bus station 

Haymarket I think charges 70p ish per bus to use it 

We need bus stations to serve its purpose and have as many buses as possible connect start taking buses out of bus stations (which are often metro connections too) and we lose the value of a bus station 

Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

All secured contracts should have minimum requirements that they must serve as many metro stations or bus stations as possible and supermarkets and industrial estates!

Eg 351 after asda at whitley Road I would make it turn left towards Palmersville metro but take a right and through the industrial estate and back onto whitley Road making a closer connection to Palmersville metro (and when extended to Northumberland park) it provides a quick suspension metro link tools well as servicing an industrial estate As oppose to the walk
(26 Mar 2024, 6:52 pm)DaveFromUpNorth wrote Worse thing that can ever be done is push buses or suggest buses not serve bus stations or interchanges 

Bus companies love the idea (Stagecoach) if they can avoid using a bus station 

Haymarket I think charges 70p ish per bus to use it 

We need bus stations to serve its purpose and have as many buses as possible connect start taking buses out of bus stations (which are often metro connections too) and we lose the value of a bus station 

Look at 317 Stagecoach was successful in pushing it out of Wallsend Interchange (to connect with other buses/metro ) and operate a loop round the shopping centre to improve reliability I think words was used 

All secured contracts should have minimum requirements that they must serve as many metro stations or bus stations as possible and supermarkets and industrial estates!

Eg 351 after asda at whitley Road I would make it turn left towards Palmersville metro but take a right and through the industrial estate and back onto whitley Road making a closer connection to Palmersville metro (and when extended to Northumberland park) it provides a quick suspension metro link tools well as servicing an industrial estate As oppose to the walk

A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

Bus stations are a complete waste of time if you ask me, unless it's an interchange where you change between a bus and a tube / train like many places in London where you can't control timings so are forced to wait.

Personally, on paper (not saying do it), I'd much rather have a bus which looped around Newcastle so I could get on/off where I actually wanted to be, rather than being dumped off at Haymarket which is miles to the North of most places.

Not to mention personally, I feel more secure at a bus stop than an unstaffed bus station in the evening. Haymarket is an unpleasant place, as an understatement, especially with the undesirables hanging around outside the pub.

Most people who know the timetable, won't be there for longer than 5 minutes max. Now if the bus station was near Central Station then it would be a different kettle of fish.
(26 Mar 2024, 7:12 pm)Storx wrote A bit off topic but I kinda disagree about bus stations.

Bus stations are a complete waste of time if you ask me, unless it's an interchange where you change between a bus and a tube / train like many places in London where you can't control timings so are forced to wait.

Personally, on paper (not saying do it), I'd much rather have a bus which looped around Newcastle so I could get on/off where I actually wanted to be, rather than being dumped off at Haymarket which is miles to the North of most places.

Not to mention personally, I feel more secure at a bus stop than an unstaffed bus station in the evening. Haymarket is an unpleasant place, as an understatement, especially with the undesirables hanging around outside the pub.

Most people who know the timetable, won't be there for longer than 5 minutes max. Now if the bus station was near Central Station then it would be a different kettle of fish.

I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

On the other side of that argument, I hate waiting at Regent Centre. That really doesn't feel a safe place. The stairwell to the car park is disgusting too.
Rather than throwing money at all these secured Micky Mouse services, some of which only turn up once an hour and are off no use unless dependant.......is better bus / metro integration with local and major routes not the way forward? Seamless ticketing and guaranteed connections. Obviously would never work under the existing private / secured service model.....but bigger picture needs looked at.

Fine example.....308 / 309 in North Tyneside.......passengers ride through to Northumberland Park instead and straight onto Metro....route lengths cut down, more connections and useful links created rather than just another bus along the Coast Road to Newcastle running late as **** some days and sitting in all that traffic. Not saying to scrap them by any means yeah? But just a prime example
(26 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm)Shrek wrote I'm the opposite. I'm much happier waiting for a bus in the Haymarket over a bus stop on a street in town. The fact I can keep dry being one thing, but it's lighter and feels safer to me too. 

On the other side of that argument, I hate waiting at Regent Centre. That really doesn't feel a safe place. The stairwell to the car park is disgusting too.

Have to agree to disagree then, hate the place personally at night. Feel really enclosed and the place is hostile as an understatement. Can't stand the walk into the place either past where Lloyds used to be, very very dark and I know there's been trouble in the past along there.

I'd much rather get a bus along Blackett Street or Market Street, if I had the choice personally.

Regent Centre isn't great either mind, I'd argue that's the sort of place there actually should be a decent waiting space as you can't time buses using a Metro.

Bus stations in town/city centres are a very British thing, I can't think of any off the top of my head in any European city, bar for coaches.
(27 Mar 2024, 7:15 am)thw1008 wrote More teething problems on the X78 last night. Perhaps a lack of route knowledge.

The X78 seemed to run fine last night, just to a bit of a delay later on. 5491 looks to be the allocated vehicle for the X78.
(26 Mar 2024, 4:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote The 37 is a copy of the 352 as the 352 was registered first. 37 is a duplicate of the 38, but goes to Cramlington. Stagecoach having a shortage of buses should withdraw the 37.

Nexus support the 37 in the evening and Sundays not the 352. So would imagine that’s why it continues. Reliability is awful on 37 especially on evenings and Sundays with 1 minute turn around time at Cramlington and 3 at Whickham View