You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Site Administrator
RE: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
(26 Apr 2015, 8:49 pm)Jimmi wrote That's part of my problem with being shy although it also applies to the enthusiast's that I do know, couldn't manage to even say hi to Dan on Friday.

I was looking somewhat smart, for a change, so I'll let you use that excuse for Friday. Wink 
(26 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm)Dan wrote I was looking somewhat smart, for a change, so I'll let you use that excuse for Friday. Wink 

My other excuse was that you were busy, not sure taking a photo of your ice cream on your phone counts as busy mind Big Grin
Site Administrator
(26 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm)Jimmi wrote My other excuse was that you were busy, not sure taking a photo of your ice cream on your phone counts as busy mind Big Grin

It was a very well presented ice-cream, in my defence, which deserved to be pride of place on my Snapchat story! Let's call it free promotion to any of my friends who were off school or had a free afternoon! Wink

The second time I saw you, I was busy taking a photo (with my camera) of some of the "selfie bus" action!

I got talking to one guy about the new buses and he had me stood there for a good 20 minutes chatting away. A former National Express driver, by all accounts, but I had to get away as I was there as a helping hand and he couldn't have all my attention!
(26 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote It was a very well presented ice-cream, in my defence, which deserved to be pride of place on my Snapchat story! Wink

The second time I saw you, I was busy taking a photo (with my camera) of some of the "selfie bus" action!

I got talking to one guy about the new buses and he had me stood there for a good 20 minutes chatting away. A former National Express driver, by all accounts, but I had to get away as I was there as a helping hand and he couldn't have all my attention!

Speaking of Snapchat...remember that conked out drunk guy lying on the cold hard ground on Percy Street in Newcastle after we got off 3832?! Tongue
Site Administrator
(26 Apr 2015, 9:00 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Speaking of Snapchat...remember that conked out drunk guy lying on the cold hard ground on Percy Street in Newcastle after we got off 3832?! Tongue

Think I ended up sending that one to a few of my mates from school, making a reference to an alcoholic teacher... Angel

That was a break from the norm, as most of my Snapchats revolve around the great battle of, "Who can take the ugliest selfie?" A written agreement between four or five of us that we can only ever leak the ugly selfies outside of the "1 2 ugly selfie crew" if that person gets famous. Tongue 
(26 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote It was a very well presented ice-cream, in my defence, which deserved to be pride of place on my Snapchat story! Let's call it free promotion to any of my friends who were off school or had a free afternoon! Wink

I was in Chester longer than I had actually planned which made me miss a few things such as 5337 on the 15 and the Scarlet Band 58 (hoping for the repainted E200). Least I got the Weardale E200 in Crook though.

Was a bit annoyed when I got there as the X12 needed a change over so had to get the 21 and then the driver of the 21 missed the turn to stop for the temporary stop so had to do a loop round by the Market Place and then back to where it should have dropped off. Non of the passengers were amused by this.
Site Administrator
(26 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm)aureolin wrote Dan, I was half expecting to see a selfie bus pic of you appear. Just to go in the collection with the TTX balloon launch.

Found that photo in a 2012 edition GNE staff magazine the other day, which is what made me change my mind about getting a selfie with the "selfie bus"... Not going to endure the embarrassment of another photo like that years down the line!
(26 Apr 2015, 9:11 pm)Dan wrote Found that photo in a 2012 edition GNE staff magazine the other day, which is what made me change my mind about getting a selfie with the "selfie bus"... Not going to endure the embarrassment of another photo like that years down the line!

Was scared they were going to get me with the "selfie bus" what I would have said is "I prefer to be the person behind the camera"

We would never see that image as it would be too terrifying for the GNE Facebook page as I can not take a photo when a camera is pointed on me, dread to see some of the photos from today's outing.
(26 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm)northern156 wrote Could use this if you're not sure of meeting unknown people who may not be from the forum...

[Image: Qa8KCxG.jpg]
Jesus that picture is terrifying.

Problem is it would make it easier for the people who aren't on NEB to totally ignore us and people would laugh at us going round with these signs.
(26 Apr 2015, 9:11 pm)Dan wrote Found that photo in a 2012 edition GNE staff magazine the other day, which is what made me change my mind about getting a selfie with the "selfie bus"... Not going to endure the embarrassment of another photo like that years down the line!
Oh great I assume it has my mugshot aswell.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
Seem as I got a bit side tracked last night, here is a special review of my outing yesterday to the 500 Group's Teesside Running Day.

1010 7 Newton Aycliffe - Thompson Street Post Office (ANE 1513)
As the 5A would have meant waiting in Darlington Town Centre for nearly half an hour I decided to get the 7 to Darlington so I could have an extra 25 minutes in bed. This journey was carrying a fair few passengers when I boarded it. Not a great deal to say about this journey as if you go to Darlington as often as I do you will see why I can never think of anything to say on these journeys. Anyway as the 7 would arrive in Darlington Town Centre 3 minutes after the X66 leaves I had to get off somewhere down North Road so I chose this stop as it would give me more than enough time to cross the road and most people who connect from the 7 or other services from Aycliffe normally get off at Harrowgate Hill Roundabout stop so if I did that I would probably have less choice of seats and getting across the road there is a pig.

1037 X66 Thompson Street Post Office - Stockton High Street (ANE 2852)
Can't even allocate a MAX Omnicity on a Sunday - Pathetic Arriva. As you can imagine I was not best pleased to see this turn up, just seemed rather boring, thankfully it wasn't too busy which is a good thing when you are on a 29 seater Solo (27 seats on this journey because there was a passenger with a pushchair). Thankfully this Solo did have WiFi I was able to use although I annoyingly had to register to gain access to it. Riverside was closed in Stockton so the X66 couldn't operate it's normal route to reach Stockton High Street so we got diverted and the driver didn't seem to really know where he was going as he stopped at some traffic lights and us passengers had to give him directions.

This is the start of the 500 Group Running Day.

RDC106R Stockton High Street - Transporter
This was the first bus to emerge on Stockton High Street so I jumped on this as I thought it would be something that would be something I should consider riding especially as I think this was it's public debut (in use). Jumped on this, thought it was a little bit bouncy on the road along to Middlesbrough but an enjoyable ride although the seats were irritating my arm. Decided to stay on until the transporter so I could see what was going on down there.

Stagecarriage KX05HVE Transporter - Bus Station - Transporter
Not been on one of these before and seem as it looked to be such a smart looking thing I decided to have a ride on this. Was very smart inside to although it made a rather awful noise when I got on it - Madonna on Absolute Radio 90s Big Grin  besides Madge I quite enjoyed the short journey on this and was impressed with how smart it was and quite enjoyed listening to Blink 182's What My Age Again on Absolute Radio 90s.

JDC599 Transporter - Transporter
This looked an interesting bus so I jumped on this. The journey went round the rather industrial part of Teesside and some other places I have never been to before so for a large part of this journey I didn't know where I was so you could imagine my surprise when we reached the other end of the transporter bridge which made me think we got lost and was surprised to discover we were actually going to go over the transporter bridge which was good as I have never been over on this before.

LFS296F Transporter - Yarm - Stockton
Was disappointed not to get a ride on this at the Kirkby Stephen a few weeks back so was glad to see that this was in attendance. When I went for a ride on this it was quite nippy so I ended up digging my jacket out of my bag for sitting on this open topper, when we got towards Middlesbrough Bus Station I was worried it was going to start raining but thankfully it didn't, until we reached Stockton this journey was pretty freezing but the sun came back out as we got towards Stockton before heading up to Yarm. I decided to stay on to Yarm as I was actually really enjoying this journey and I haven't been to Yarm before so what better way to see Yarm than from the top deck of an open top bus. Can see why the Arriva service 7 can be so bad for reliability as we got stuck in traffic coming into Yarm. One amusing thing about this journey was when when we went past Warburtons bread makers all I could was freshly baked bread which was nice although I hadn't had any dinner by this point. Decided to alight when it got back to Stockton, was about to head into Castlegate shopping centre for the loo and something to eat but then I turned round and saw something else I wanted to have a ride on...

M10DVS Stockton - Middlesbrough Bus Station
Was quite happy to have a ride on this as Vectra's used to be a regular sight for me as they were a regular sight on the Bishop Auckland 4/4A service which later became what is now the 5/5A so this was a bit of a nostalgic ride for me as this brought back some memories from when they were regular sight for me until they were withdrawn from Bishop Auckland depot. This was also a rather fun extended journey round Thornaby and other places I am not really familiar with on the up hand this meant we got to have a longer journey on this. Got off in Middlesbrough Bus Station as I really wanted something to eat.

Went to Gregg's not far from the bus station and was in here for what felt like years as there was two members of staff on with one putting stuff in the oven and the other having a natter with one of the customers with the customer asking when another member of staff would be in. Was in here for a "good" 5 minutes and there was only another two people in front of me and they didn't get much so was hacked off by the time I FINALLY got served and took about a week to do that too. Pathetic service Gregg's. Then went to Poundland for my usual - 3 tins of Cherry Coke and trust me to get stuck behind people trying to buy 3 tins of Coca Cola when you can only get two for £1. After a millennium I finally got back to Middlesbrough Bus Station and waited for something to turn up, RDC106R was the first thing to turn up but I had already been on this earlier so I let this go and waited for something else to come...

PPT446P Bus Station - Transporter
Not been on this before either so was happy to have a ride on this. Was only a short ride but I quite enjoyed this bus back to the transporter.

Stagecarriage N703LTN Transporter - Stockton - Transporter
Was at the Transporter for a bit and after getting a few more photos I waited for a bus to head somewhere and this was what pulled onto the bus stop. I actually knew what to expect from this bus as I actually had a ride on this bus on service 45 last Friday and I rather enjoyed it then so it seemed like it would be good to go for another ride and it was quite like this bus apart from the seats where you can feel a bit of metal sitting on the seats. Got to Stockton after basically doing the 45 route then the 36 route to reach Stockton, stayed on the bus at Stockton thought about getting off but I stayed on-board until it returned back to the transporter.

After this I decided to walk back to Middlesbrough Bus Station along much of the route most of the buses followed so managed a few photos along the roads.

1725 X66 Middlesbrough Bus Station - Darlington Tubwell Row (ANE 4650)
Back to usual service buses now. Thankfully I didn't get a Solo on this journey. Was pretty quiet journey which was nice. One thing that really annoyed me about this journey was whilst we sat at Harrowgate Hill, Elmcroft was I got to see the 5A fly past heading towards my home which hurt as I knew I would have to walk home from wherever I got off the 8 or 7. Thought about which bus I would get home with my options being the 8 and the 7 and the 8 would have got me home a few minutes sooner but it would have been further to walk so I stayed on until Darlington Town Centre to get service 7 home as it was less walk.

1815 7 Darlington Tubwell Row - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1518)
I regretted not going with service 8 as on this journey we had two loud annoying family's who knew each other with some sat in the wheelchair bay with a pushchair and the rest towards the back so they were shouting between each other as well as the children shouting and in the middle of this you found me and by this point I was pretty tired and just wanted to get home so as you can imagine I was in a state of despair on this journey listening to these loudmouths. I came so close to totally losing it I though I was just going to get up and start very loudly and angrily shout at them and tell the to shut up (some words removed there) and had I been going any further I probably would have.

Well that was my special review from yesterday and thank you for reading - this took ages to type.

If you haven't seen them yet have a look at my photos from yesterday (I have now corrected the registration for Stagecarriage's N703LTN after having it pointed out - so many careless mistakes in the last week)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127079988@...206325315/
(27 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm)Jimmi wrote JDC599 Transporter - Transporter
This looked an interesting bus so I jumped on this. The journey went round the rather industrial part of Teesside and some other places I have never been to before so for a large part of this journey I didn't know where I was so you could imagine my surprise when we reached the other end of the transporter bridge which made me think we got lost and was surprised to discover we were actually going to go over the transporter bridge which was good as I have never been over on this before.

This was the only journey I really wanted to make as I'd never travelled over the Transporter Bridge before. However, I managed to miss this journey due to my rather chilly excursion on LFS296F. I probably would have made it too if the driver of the open topper hadn't took the lengthy way into Middlesbrough Bus Station on the way to Stockton. On the way back, he took the quicker way into the bus station. I blame him!  Angry  
(27 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm)MurdnunoC wrote This was the only journey I really wanted to make as I'd never travelled over the Transporter Bridge before. However, I managed to miss this journey due to my rather chilly excursion on LFS296F. I probably would have made it too if the driver of the open topper hadn't took the lengthy way into Middlesbrough Bus Station on the way to Stockton. On the way back, he took the quicker way into the bus station. I blame him!  Angry  

Shame.

Quite enjoyed that journey going round I have no idea where and over on the transporter.

Had a few times like that at Kirkby Stephen Rally would often be arriving somewhere and a bus I really wanted to go on would be leaving.
(27 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm)Jimmi wrote .

RDC106R Stockton High Street - Transporter
This was the first bus to emerge on Stockton High Street so I jumped on this as I thought it would be something that would be something I should consider riding especially as I think this was it's public debut (in use). Jumped on this, thought it was a little bit bouncy on the road along to Middlesbrough but an enjoyable ride although the seats were irritating my arm. Decided to stay on until the transporter so I could see what was going on down there.

The 'bounce' was part of the VR experience.
No idea what the deal is with them, but a VR on a decent stretch of country road, was a lucky treat.
The rocking at the front and the nose dipping with every camber or bump - brilliant.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(27 Apr 2015, 7:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote The 'bounce' was part of the VR experience.
No idea what the deal is with them, but a VR on a decent stretch of country road, was a lucky treat.
The rocking at the front and the nose dipping with every camber or bump - brilliant.

In my opinion, the LH was better (or worse depending on your view) for bounciness. 

To be honest, I didn't even recognise RDC 106R as a VR. I guess I'm used to the version United used.
(27 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm)MurdnunoC wrote In my opinion, the LH was better (or worse depending on your view) for bounciness. 

To be honest, I didn't even recognise RDC 106R as a VR. I guess I'm used to the version United used.

Northern Counties I think it is.
The United/Northern ones were Willowbrook and ECW if I remember right.

I can remember the LH, but never rode them over 'bumps'. The VR around Eighton Banks or around Boldon were great.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
This is my outing from yesterday:
3943 - X1 Wrekenton to Newcastle
I personally think this is one of the worst buses in the fleet, it well passed it's sell by date. I was hoping I'd get a B9 but sadly I didn't, I think that's enough said...

6082 - 10B Newcastle - MetroCentre
After getting off 3943, I had just missed a 10A so I patiently waited (for one of the first times in my life Tongue ) for the next bus. Not long after that, the 10B came around the corner with 5235 (on service 45), 5147 (on service 47) and 5149 (on service 32) following. I really do like these buses, although I'd prefer an Olympian or Lolyne I was very satisfied.

8262 - 67 MetroCentre - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Another bus I don't like, but this time, it's not just the one bus I don't like, I hate 8261-8266. I think they are bad versions of bad buses (Cadets) which are bad versions of great buses (Renowns). Anyway, having just missed 5329 on the 49b and 5391 on the X66, I decided to not wait around and just got on this bus.

6002 - X1 Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Wrekenton
Despite this only being a short journey, this was probably my highlight of the day, because I think 6001- 6007 are the best B9s in the fleet after 6083). I did enjoy my 5 (or saw) minutes on this.

Thanks for reading,
Davie
(28 Apr 2015, 5:04 pm)Robert wrote First Leeds Volvo Olympian Alexander Royale 30790 (R610 JUB) will (more like a might) be attending the rally on Monday. https://flic.kr/p/nXFXUe
Do hope this does makes an appearance on Monday.

Judging by the fact that the Yorkshire Rider liveried B9TL turned at the Kirkby Stephen rally a few weeks back I think it is possible it will make an appearance at the MetroCentre rally on Monday.

It looks to be shaping up to be a decent rally this year I think.
(29 Apr 2015, 10:08 am)Jimmi wrote Do hope this does makes an appearance on Monday.

Judging by the fact that the Yorkshire Rider liveried B9TL turned at the Kirkby Stephen rally a few weeks back I think it is possible it will make an appearance at the MetroCentre rally on Monday.

It looks to be shaping up to be a decent rally this year I think.

I think its highly likely that it will be coming up as a mate of mine from leeds said that he is coming up to the event on it.
(29 Apr 2015, 4:17 pm)Robert wrote I think its highly likely that it will be coming up as a mate of mine from leeds said that he is coming up to the event on it.

Note that it is no longer in the First Leeds fleet and is preserved by the Keighley Bus Museum. It still wears the Olympia livery.
Undecided on what to do tomorrow, I'll be hoping for a ''Lime'' B10BLE on my 78 through to Sunderland as per usual, but mainly because the ''Coast & Country'' Streetlites are due to enter service in a matter of days, and it could well be my last chance with Chester-le-Street only operating 1 board on the ''Lime'' services on Sundays, and it's the MetroCentre rally on Monday too.

Thinking of doing an Explorer, possibly some photos outside of Park Lane, then the Metro as far as Heworth before seeing what the Metro Replacements have got to offer. Might head to Central Station for a short while, although I might just omit that and head elsewhere. We all know how easily plans can change, an Olympian could come into view at any given moment...Wink

I plan to have a quick ride up to Regent Centre, see if I can get an ALX400 on any of the services that pass through there, if not, might just MAX it up then Sapphire it back. If I see an ALX300 on any of the Stagecoach services I'm familiar with; 100, X47, etc then I might head for that, I've always loved how the lights look like eyes on the front of them. Tongue 
Marxista Fozzski
(01 May 2015, 8:51 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote Undecided on what to do tomorrow, I'll be hoping for a ''Lime'' B10BLE on my 78 through to Sunderland as per usual, but mainly because the ''Coast & Country'' Streetlites are due to enter service in a matter of days, and it could well be my last chance with Chester-le-Street only operating 1 board on the ''Lime'' services on Sundays, and it's the MetroCentre rally on Monday too.

Thinking of doing an Explorer, possibly some photos outside of Park Lane, then the Metro as far as Heworth before seeing what the Metro Replacements have got to offer. Might head to Central Station for a short while, although I might just omit that and head elsewhere. We all know how easily plans can change, an Olympian could come into view at any given moment...Wink

I plan to have a quick ride up to Regent Centre, see if I can get an ALX400 on any of the services that pass through there, if not, might just MAX it up then Sapphire it back. If I see an ALX300 on any of the Stagecoach services I'm familiar with; 100, X47, etc then I might head for that, I've always loved how the lights look like eyes on the front of them.  
Not sure what am doing tomorrow, might go and watch HMS Ocean parade through Sunderland, might go have a look down rhe Docks in Hendon to see if I can get some decent pictures of Ocean...And have ride to South Shields and Washington maybe Big Grin
Not doing an outing tomorrow.

It's really annoying not knowing when the Coast and Country StreetLite's are going to enter service, can't really be bothered to hunt them down if they enter service on Sunday as I have only one bus an hour on a Sunday which is incredibly annoying and is the reason why I rarely do outings on Sundays. Thought about trying to get some photos in Chester-le-Street either on the way to/from the MetroCentre rally but annoyingly the times don't really fit which is a shame.

I'd like to get photos of the Coast and Country StreetLite's this week although I am struggling to motivate myself into getting photos as I am not overly confident with the routes as I have only done the routes a few times, also I just can't really be bothered in a way and somehow I can't help but think that everyone will be getting photos of them so by the time I get photos and upload them to Flickr everyone else will have gotten photos which is making me think that not as many people will be as interested in seeing them as other people will have uploaded loads of shots before I have and will have faved everyone else's photos. Don't know why I am thinking this but I can't help but think this.

Should be doing a trip to Carlisle next Saturday though.
(01 May 2015, 10:18 pm)Jimmi wrote Not doing an outing tomorrow.

It's really annoying not knowing when the Coast and Country StreetLite's are going to enter service, can't really be bothered to hunt them down if they enter service on Sunday as I have only one bus an hour on a Sunday which is incredibly annoying and is the reason why I rarely do outings on Sundays. Thought about trying to get some photos in Chester-le-Street either on the way to/from the MetroCentre rally but annoyingly the times don't really fit which is a shame.

I'd like to get photos of the Coast and Country StreetLite's this week although I am struggling to motivate myself into getting photos as I am not overly confident with the routes as I have only done the routes a few times, also I just can't really be bothered in a way and somehow I can't help but think that everyone will be getting photos of them so by the time I get photos and upload them to Flickr everyone else will have gotten photos which is making me think that not as many people will be as interested in seeing them as other people will have uploaded loads of shots before I have and will have faved everyone else's photos. Don't know why I am thinking this but I can't help but think this.

Should be doing a trip to Carlisle next Saturday though.
Im going to wait until the Red Kites enter service, and ToonLink is relaunched before I go out taking any photos, probs say that will occur in a few weeks time.
(01 May 2015, 10:41 pm)Malarkey wrote Im going to wait until the Red Kites enter service, and ToonLink is relaunched before I go out taking any photos, probs say that will occur in a few weeks time.

I am wanting to take a bit of a break from photography for a bit as in the last few weeks I have been very busy chasing up Arriva's latest MAX and Sapphire buses and has taken up a fair bit of my time over the last few weeks so has worn me out a bit but it has been worth it though especially as I ended up getting some of the first shots of the buses and Arriva photos especially MAX and Sapphire buses do often prove to be the most interesting uploads and my photo of an unbranded 1590? on the X1 got 30 favourites which really surprised me and an unbranded Enviro 400 got 24 favourites.

I will probably go out for when the Arriva 22/24 get launched as Sapphire and then when the Red Kite StreetLite's and B9s enter service then maybe do Coast and Country shots then maybe take a bit more of a break then once all the moves and all the new buses are in service I will be able to relax a bit more and go different places such as Scarborough and give the MAX X15/X18 a whirl.
As said in the Latest thread, you have a few years to photograph them. As for people not being interested, im sure people will be as those photos will be the first to be seen by some people whether they up in this neck of the woods or mot. Wouldnt let other people uploading pics before you put you off.