You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Late running records
X26/X27 still look like they're having issues. The 1818 from Catterick is showing as 26 minutes late at present.

X12 has been a lot better recently, but having said that, there's a lot less students kicking about in Durham. One still managed to pull out of Newcastle 29 minutes late. The 1555 iirc?

Haven't seen anything as bad as this for a while though:
.png 23late.PNG
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(15 May 2015, 6:21 pm)aureolin wrote X26/X27 still look like they're having issues. The 1818 from Catterick is showing as 26 minutes late at present.

X12 has been a lot better recently, but having said that, there's a lot less students kicking about in Durham. One still managed to pull out of Newcastle 29 minutes late. The 1555 iirc?

Haven't seen anything as bad as this for a while though:

The 23, 24 and X35 seem to be suffering from delays because of some temporary traffic lights in the Peterlee area, I got stuck in them yesterday afternoon and it was horrendous felt like it took forever to get through them on the X35 I got to Hartlepool yesterday afternoon arrived in Peterlee around 10 minutes late and by the time it got to Hartlepool it was around 20 minutes late.

Seemed like many of the Newton Aycliffe - Darlington services were late this afternoon around 4pm, I saw a service 7 showing on the live map as running 22 minutes late with another 7 following not far behind it. When it got to Darlington the 22 minutes late journey ended up picking up all the passengers with the next 7 leaving Darlington Town Centre with no passengers whilst the other 7 was still loading as the other 7 didn't require a driver change as it was a Belmont working.

Sadly the above isn't a rare occurance especially on a Friday and these services often go to pot around 1530 especially in term time, I remember when I used to get the 1638 7 from Framwellgate Moor on an evening it arrived at this stop late every night. I stand by my statement in saying services need more running time around 1530 to get through schools and work traffic.
(15 May 2015, 6:49 pm)Jimmi wrote The 23, 24 and X35 seem to be suffering from delays because of some temporary traffic lights in the Peterlee area, I got stuck in them yesterday afternoon and it was horrendous felt like it took forever to get through them on the X35 I got to Hartlepool yesterday afternoon arrived in Peterlee around 10 minutes late and by the time it got to Hartlepool it was around 20 minutes late.

Seemed like many of the Newton Aycliffe - Darlington services were late this afternoon around 4pm, I saw a service 7 showing on the live map as running 22 minutes late with another 7 following not far behind it. When it got to Darlington the 22 minutes late journey ended up picking up all the passengers with the next 7 leaving Darlington Town Centre with no passengers whilst the other 7 was still loading as the other 7 didn't require a driver change as it was a Belmont working.

Sadly the above isn't a rare occurance especially on a Friday and these services often go to pot around 1530 especially in term time, I remember when I used to get the 1638 7 from Framwellgate Moor on an evening it arrived at this stop late every night. I stand by my statement in saying services need more running time around 1530 to get through schools and work traffic.
The X26/7 will run bang on time next week, as Gough Road is closed outside of Tesco, so, as per the previous diversion, it will be omitted.
(16 May 2015, 8:54 am)Tom wrote Oh dear:

Bus 57A 9:00 Durham Bus Station to Hartlepool Yatess Stand M + 50
Hourly service too, so there'd be an almost two hour gap between services.
(16 May 2015, 10:53 pm)aureolin wrote Hourly service too, so there'd be an almost two hour gap between services.

I can't believe it wasn't replaced and was still running!
(16 May 2015, 11:13 pm)Tom wrote I can't believe it wasn't replaced and was still running!
It's pointless it running when it's that late, but then again, how does control get in contact with the driver? Seeing as they expect their drivers to use their personal mobiles, then contact can only be initiated one way - driver contacting control. If the driver has no desire to be regulated, then it ain't gonna happen.
(16 May 2015, 11:22 pm)aureolin wrote It's pointless it running when it's that late, but then again, how does control get in contact with the driver? Seeing as they expect their drivers to use their personal mobiles, then contact can only be initiated one way - driver contacting control. If the driver has no desire to be regulated, then it ain't gonna happen.

Yeah I suppose.
Arriva should really install radios, would surely help.
(16 May 2015, 11:23 pm)Tom wrote Yeah I suppose.
Arriva should really install radios, would surely help.
They'd struggle with some of the more rural areas, but using a modern two way system and the AVL would mean they could engage contact when the bus is out of a radio blackspot.
(16 May 2015, 11:13 pm)Tom wrote I can't believe it wasn't replaced and was still running!
I hope it didn't go onto the 56 when it got back to Durham as it would be pointless running a bus running around 50 minutes late on a half hourly service.

I'd rather have a bus turn up 50 minutes late than not turn up at all myself although I can see why this can be seen as pointless.

I am slightly fearful of services that are less frequent than half hourly as I am worried I'd have to wait an hour for the next bus, example service 21 from Peterlee although I could always get the 22, 24 or a GNE East Durham service to Durham then a 7.
Site Administrator
(16 May 2015, 11:28 pm)Jimmi wrote I'd rather have a bus turn up 50 minutes late than not turn up at all myself although I can see why this can be seen as pointless.

I think the majority would either seek an alternative or go home until the next bus is due after 10-15. Can't see the point in running 50 minutes late, but as aureolin said, if the driver has no intention of being regulated, he won't be.
I can't remember who said it, but it was around the time ANE were implementing the AVL systems.
According to the person at the time, there was the possibility of the service appearing to be late, when it was actually on time. I am sure it was something to do with the driver entering the wrong code and a couple of other factors.

Appreciate this won't be the case in all of the examples, but I wonder how many of these late running buses, are late and how many are on time, but have fallen foul of a glitch in the system?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 May 2015, 7:21 am)Andreos1 wrote I can't remember who said it, but it was around the time ANE were implementing the AVL systems.
According to the person at the time, there was the possibility of the service appearing to be late, when it was actually on time. I am sure it was something to do with the driver entering the wrong code and a couple of other factors.

Appreciate this won't be the case in all of the examples, but I wonder how many of these late running buses, are late and how many are on time, but have fallen foul of a glitch in the system?
It was if an incorrect trip number was entered. But if that were the case on an hourly service, they'd have to explain why they're 10 minutes early in this example...
Site Administrator
(17 May 2015, 7:37 am)aureolin wrote It was if an incorrect trip number was entered. But if that were the case on an hourly service, they'd have to explain why they're 10 minutes early in this example...

I'd argue that would be a hell of a lot worse than a 50 minute late bus!
(17 May 2015, 7:37 am)aureolin wrote It was if an incorrect trip number was entered. But if that were the case on an hourly service, they'd have to explain why they're 10 minutes early in this example...

I have had a quick look to find the conversation, but couldn't find it.
It will still be on here somewhere.

As I say, not all of the examples would have had their code entered wrongly and a service running that early, isn't acceptable at all.

I don't think the AVL is 100% accurate yet either. We have stop announcements going off at the wrong locations and debates on fb pages, about services running early, late or at all - when several different people swear the opposite. Appreciate there may be the odd porkie pie from punters, but not all.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 May 2015, 7:42 am)Andreos1 wrote I don't think the AVL is 100% accurate yet either. We have stop announcements going off at the wrong locations and debates on fb pages, about services running early, late or at all - when several different people swear the opposite. Appreciate there may be the odd porkie pie from punters, but not all.

I would not know about Arriva, but at GNE, the Next Stop Annoucement system and the ticket machine AVL are two different systems not linked, so something could appear correct in terms of early/late operation in a Control Room, but if someone has got thick fingers and typed in a wrong co-ordinate on the NSA, the Next Stop will annouce it wrong.

Most companies are now starting to use Naptan codes.
Something that I've noticed that could be the reason is that, if a bus breaks down, it will still send a signal, and eventually will move appearing to be a constant "X" minutes late. Additionally, last year I was on 7454 and it's ticket machine broke, so when I had a look at the app, the bus appeared to be stuck getting later and later.
Late running records
7 I am currently on is about 15 minutes late mostly because 4 minutes to get from Durham Bus Station to Nevilles Cross at school time is more unlikely to happen than a Unicorn to fly past the window.

Sure enough because we are 15 minutes late we are picking up two passenger loads and the result of this is we are falling further behind time.
Ouch!

Just had a look at the ANE Live Map, and found an X20 42 minutes late headed towards Newcastle, and an X14 running 45 late towards Morpeth 

Actually, I can't find an "on time" X14/15/18 anywhere Morpeth southwards
(28 May 2015, 11:19 am)aureolin wrote Two 78s together Consett bound, between there and Stanley. One of them must be running about 30m late.

Trying again up there today? hoHopefully it doesnt rain.  Smile
(28 May 2015, 11:29 am)Robert wrote Trying again up there today? hoHopefully it doesnt rain.  Smile
Yeah it's been a lot better today. The expected shower never arrived. I'm on my way to Newcastle on the X71 now, which is unfortunately 5250.
Late running records
As mentioned earlier in the Arriva Latest thread buses serving North Road, Darlington are suffering delays and still are it appears:
[Image: b8940b8d8e5a4f9254b8339a946caabf.jpg]

Thing that makes this worse is the tight evening 7 timetable so I doubt it is going to make up much time especially with roadworks in Ferryhill as well.
(05 Jun 2015, 4:21 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote Sapphire X22 was running in twos arriving in Ashington at about 1230.
Not the only Sapphire service running in twos this afternoon, the 7 has been for much of the afternoon due to roadworks in Ferryhill and at The Honest Lawyer.
(05 Jun 2015, 4:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Not the only Sapphire service running in twos this afternoon, the 7 has been for much of the afternoon due to roadworks in Ferryhill and at The Honest Lawyer.

The worst delays that I have witnessed was about 4x X21s heading through Gosforth in a period of 10 minutes. That day - I found that the 308 and the 1 would come in handy on my return from Newcastle.